Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-01 at 02:22. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

10 Years

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Nvwls

Nvwls

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

The world has changed moderately in the past decade, and with a new decade ahead of us, I was pondering what the world would be like when 2020 rolls around. Is the world going to be in ruins? Or are we going to solve our problems and work towards making it a better place? Or maybe you think the world isn't going to make it past 2012 :whistle:.

Share your predictions on what the world will be like in in various aspects such as technology, finance, agriculture, genetics,etc, or in general.

Edit: Thought I would share some of my thoughts on the subject.

A lot of things in the world are obviously not the way they should be, and only getting worse. I feel we're getting closer to a point at which people are going to realize all the behind the scenes, hidden things that are going on. I'm pretty sure most of the American public doesn't know the Federal Reserve lends Goldman Sachs money at 0% interest. However, the media LOVES to publicize the whole mortgage fiasco with John Paulson. The whole financial industry is a mess with a Chinese real estate bubble and the fact that America's financial system when you really look at it is a lot of crap. Medicine and education in the United States also needs an overhaul and what Obama has done/plans to do to address these issues seems incorrect and not very effective. I think the world needs to be greatly corrected in it's consumption of oil and natural resources. The global population is starting to slow and is going to work it's way down slowly (starting in this decade). I think sometimes harsh measures need to be taken to help change these things before major problems arise. Soon enough things are going to start collapsing, the best we can do is make sacrifices now and avert turmoil before things get really bad. Our world is a really screwed up place. B-)

Edited by I Promise ko, 15 August 2010 - 9:07 PM.

#2 Slam

Slam

Multi-Tasking

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

With how fast technology and the world has changed in the last decade, I don't know if I can fathom how different the world will be in 2020, or what directions it will take. I think we will see the rise of some nations politically, and the downfall of others. While technology will improve to help fight off things such as disease, hunger, etc... warfare will continue to bring about these destitute situations, magnified by the increased war technology.

While I want to believe the world will be a better place in ten years, I'm not seeing it happening for the vast majority.
Posted Image [-Former Achievements Leader-]
[-Former Senior Moderator-]
[-Former Zybez Content Team Member-]
[-Former Zybez DJ-]

The democrats took your birthday cake. They split it up and gave it to those who weren't fortunate enough to have a birthday today.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Bulgy

Bulgy

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • Clan:#cdrsc

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

USA will not be as strong as it is now. as for everything else, who knows.

#4 zebediah49

zebediah49

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Retired
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

With how fast technology and the world has changed in the last decade, I don't know if I can fathom how different the world will be in 2020, or what directions it will take. I think we will see the rise of some nations politically, and the downfall of others. While technology will improve to help fight off things such as disease, hunger, etc... warfare will continue to bring about these destitute situations, magnified by the increased war technology.

While I want to believe the world will be a better place in ten years, I'm not seeing it happening for the vast majority.

For some reason that made me think of the opening of command and conquer 3, with these epically nice blue zones, and most of the world's population living in badly run down yellow zones (I'd be somewhat upset if we had red zones).

In 10 years... well I bet I'll have significantly more fun computers to do my physics research on :D
--the idea that it'd not be unreasonable for me to have easy access to on the order of 10 PFLOPS by then is somewhat scary. Of course, it'd require massively parallel software, which will be a bit interesting.

#5 Escablade

Escablade

Misunderestimated

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Feel N Move
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

Wow, very good question.

I can see China getting very powerful in the future, as well as the United States' financial situation getting a little more dire (this huge debt can't grow into infinity without repercussions). The world isn't going to be in ruins because, however crazy some nations are, the major powers have a huge interest in keeping the world intact (since they control it). :whistle:

Terrorism might prove a more serious threat, spreading rapidly because of its effectiveness, or it could fade away to be known as a 2000-2010 thing (as the 20's were the times of living large before the Depression and the 60's were of serious social restructuring). My opinion is that it will become more and more pervasive though.

Technology will be very different, so much that it's unimaginable (remember how ridiculous the idea of personal computers and the internet being so pervasive would be if someone told you that in earlier days).

Edited by Escablade, 15 August 2010 - 12:46 AM.

#6 tonton

tonton

• RS Name:superdavo2

Posted 15 August 2010 - 7:14 AM

I'm very optimistic, not technology wise but I think we will have a good economy and it should be a long time before it crashes due to the latest set of economic lessons learnt. One thing I'm very optimistic about is Nuclear power. I predict that by 2015 we will have either found a good way to dispose nuclear waste/ figured out how to make nuclear fusion efficiently and by 2020 we will have 1 form of Nuclear power really widespread in the world. Global warming's not gonna effect us by 2020 though summers will be getting very hot and winters very cold but nothing environmentally disastrous. Also due to my Nuclear power prediction I think that we will have stopped global warming by then (Contrary to popular belief, turning your light off is not as effective in stopping global warming as nuclear fusion.).

I guess I have to make one pessimistic prediction, Iran will have nuclear weapons and north korea will have a massive stockpile of them.

#7 Setanta

Setanta

Pedro lacks political experience.

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Suil Eile
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Clan?

Posted 15 August 2010 - 7:28 AM

I don't think technology will be as far ahead as we all imagine. The rate of advancement is slowing down and while some great steps forward were made in 2000-2010, there wasn't much that was world changing when you think about it. I think we'll see the enlargement of many world powers with very few countries truly out there on their own. The EU will expand into west asia and north africa, while becoming ever more like a single unit. And I can see similar unions being set up across the world. There will probably be a major war but as to who exactly will be in it and what the outcome and results will be, I can't say.

[Retired Events Team Member]
Posted Image
[Retired General Discussion CL]

#8 Slayboy

Slayboy

I'm back!

• Rating: < -5 | -3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:No

Posted 15 August 2010 - 7:42 AM

The technological advances of this decade weren't that important, as Setanta points out. Yeah, great, an Iphone, I'm sure that'll feed starving kids in poverty. That's of course not to say that there haven't been some technological advances that helped mankind.

#9 Odin

Odin

is RS still alive

• RS Name:Mageking9000

Posted 15 August 2010 - 8:02 AM

Hopefully by 2020 there will have been some great advances to stop 4chan
I think that Apple will continue to dominate with the IPAD
the world is on the brink of falling apart. 2010-2020 will most likely inflame relations.

Posted Image

#10 Rawra

Rawra

Posted 15 August 2010 - 8:21 AM

Euro2020 will be in 2020 with some new European powerhouse country winning it.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5325/rscsig.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
My PS3 Trophy Collection - 42 Platinum's

#11 JPT

JPT

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 15 August 2010 - 8:24 AM

Euro2020 will be in 2020 with some new European powerhouse country winning it.

Ireland :-P

#12 amar

amar

Posted 15 August 2010 - 9:00 AM

China/India world powers
America bankrupt
Technology will advance but nothing drastic
Expansion of western pop culture
Global warming scare grows
Still no signs of E.T.
Poverty still exists
More prophicies relating to an apocalypse which will be triggered by some out of space phenomenon

Edited by amar, 15 August 2010 - 9:01 AM.

#13 Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Onanism isn't work. Try Marxism.

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >

Posted 15 August 2010 - 9:07 AM

• Demand will significantly outpace oil production.
  • Demand outpacing supply on many raw materials (esp. minerals).
  • Global warming continuing at full pace (especially as the sun enters its hot period) -> soaring crop prices
  • A lot of proxy wars between China and the US/EU.
  • EU becoming more 'neutral' as US power wanes.
  • Major global economic collapse as China's real-estate bubble bursts?
  • Neoliberalization of Europe, huge growth in unemployment, outsourcing, lower wages, more repressive state.
  • Extreme racial conflict in Southern US.
  • Resurgence of large communist parties and movements in South-East Asia + Latin America?
  • Weakening of US power as China creates a domestic market for its goods.
  • Collapse of US dollar?
  • Proxy wars in the Middle-East between China, US, EU, Russia.
  • Strong social justice movements in Egypt and South Africa.
  • Major land-grabs occur as first-world nations buy fertile land in poor countries.
  • Mechanization of third-world agriculture.
  • Slums explode in size.
  • 2011 = 100th Juche year = massive show-game.
  • A lot of 2012 hysteria.
  • Slums replace the countryside as the location of guerilla warfare.
  • Solar power will start to become cost efficient at the end of the decade.
  • Masdar city to open in 2014.
  • IPCC report in 2014 will probably be really dire.
  • 2017 - Sealed gov. documents concerning JFK to be released.
  • Extremely fast computers.
  • Lots of advances in science (AI, nanotechnology, medicine, physics, &c.).
  • Robotic warfare nearly completely replacing troops.
  • US backed Colombian invasion of neighbouring countries?

Edited by Wanderlust, 15 August 2010 - 9:09 AM.

Live simply, so others may simply live.

#14 Odin

Odin

is RS still alive

• RS Name:Mageking9000

Posted 15 August 2010 - 9:25 AM

Robotic warfare nearly completely replacing troops.

I find this hard to believe because drones are terrible troops at the moment. having troops gives a lot more flexibility.

Posted Image

#15 Slayboy

Slayboy

I'm back!

• Rating: < -5 | -3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:No

Posted 15 August 2010 - 9:32 AM

Extreme racial conflict in Southern US.

Can you explain this one? I'm interested.

#16 dan staat

dan staat

Do ya feel lucky?

Posted 15 August 2010 - 9:55 AM

Ever seen the movie "The Running Man"? That's what I think it'll be like.
Better now?

#17 tonton

tonton

• RS Name:superdavo2

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

China/India world powers
America bankrupt
Technology will advance but nothing drastic
Expansion of western pop culture
Global warming scare grows
Still no signs of E.T.
Poverty still exists
More prophicies relating to an apocalypse which will be triggered by some out of space phenomenon

India have a great army but aren't agressive enough to become world powers. I think I read somewhere that they haven't invaded a country in like 10,000 years.

As much as I hate to say it Wanderlust's predictions could very well come true. Though I thought you knew well enough that Latin America won't become communist because of America, and it's only a matter of time before Colombia do something to stop Chavez in Venezuela, what's your view on Chavez, Wandwerlust? I think no matter what way you look at it refusing to trade oil to America is retarded.

Edited by tonton, 15 August 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#18 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Mew Lp
  • Clan:Cu Clux
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Great. A lot of what I was planning to say has been covered already. :-P
  • The U.S. economy becoming even more precarious as the American government - trying to desperately maintain its position as the sole superpower - instinctively reacts to its steady eclipse by further increasing defence expenditure; trying to desperately counter the gradual multi-polarisation of international power as its planetary hegemony diminishes under the lead influence of a relatively more Asiocentric global society headed principally by China and India, let alone the rest of South-East Asia and even the EU. This in turn will only go to compounding its decline even more thoroughly as potential resources for investment (which could actually help strengthen its fiscal position) are diverted elsewhere.
  • Turkey is admitted into the EU, and subsequently anti-Islamic sentiment in the UK (at least) soars even higher at the thought of a potential influx of even more terrorists.
  • Although this is most highly unrealistic given the timespan, the EU may finally realise its subvert goal of undermining individual continental sovereignty with the outright formation of the European super-state! If this did happen, I'd throw in the inevitability of mass demonstrations (even riots) within the former independent member-states as their people protest at the fact the "non-country's" capital Brussels now commands the scene.
  • Leading on from the above, Russia becomes even more wary of the West with the fact that the world's largest trading block and economy is now right at its doorstep - with a powerful army as well let's not forget. <insert description of a massive row over gas and oil here between the two, here>
  • Anyway, bare minimum - the powers that be will further centralise legislative powers to Brussels as we get closer, and closer, to political union. Maybe there'll even be a rudimentary 'EU Armed Forces' wing and European Defence Ministry set up too, considering a foreign minister's already in place and everything. Hopefully the institution will become a lot more streamlined and competent in general.
  • Iran's realisation of at last possessing nuclear weapons will subsequently lead to an Israeli pre-emptive surgical airstrike on Iranian military facilities, and the mobilisation of the U.S. military for a full-scale invasion and occupation of the country as a decisive follow-up. As a part of the diplomatic fallout, the American homeland will see reprisal terrorist attacks, and Hamas/Hezbollah/any combination of pro-Palestinian insurgency movements will instantly jump up and seize this as an excuse to up their guerilla warfare operations against the IDF + Israeli citizens.
  • America potentially grows tired of Pakistan's perpetual funding, training, and providance of shelter to the Afghani Taliban (through its ISI). Cross-border drone attacks make way for another organised U.S. invasion. However, the potential threat of Pakistan responding with nuclear weapons in any way makes this dubious - as does the fact the U.S. would realistically be alone in this. Primary Indian assistance is debatable given the fact both have an array of nukes targeted at each other's cities, the only reason why the former hasn't utilised the superiority of its conventional forces.
  • If Pakistan is targeted, then as is the case with Iran, the U.S. makes itself even more of a hate-figure within the Islamic world (let alone the rest of the planet), and give way to more attempts by terrorist cells to strike at the contiguous American continent still.
  • If the last two points actually were ticked off, the distinct U.S. strategic over-exertion would add to its downfall as described at the top, with even vaster sums of money having to be channelled away from other important areas of domestic policy to maintain the war-machine.
  • Increase in the intensity of ongoing African wars.
  • The Korean peninsula's ceasefire collapsing one way or another, and China facing a whole load of problems with the subsequent flood of North Korean refugees.

Edited by Murdoc, 15 August 2010 - 12:15 PM.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#19 Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Onanism isn't work. Try Marxism.

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

I find this hard to believe because drones are terrible troops at the moment. having troops gives a lot more flexibility.

I mean this kind of stuff:

http://upload.wikime...0/0a/SWORDS.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

http://www.ted.com/t...ots_of_war.html

Can you explain this one? I'm interested.

Mexican immigration coupled with unemployment, underemployment, outsourcing, and low wages creates a lot of discontent. I mean the Mexican border is currently being patrolled by neo-fascists and white nationalists in some areas. Immigration coupled with a much higher Mexican and black birth rate will challenge the majority status whites currently have in the US, leading to a lot of mistrust and outright violence. The tea-parties are probably just a foretaste of what it will be like in 10 years.

what's your view on Chavez, Wandwerlust?

He's cool but should have chased out the bourgeoisie and nationalized the media after the 2002 coup attempt. He's not harbouring FARC-EP fighters though I wouldn't see the problem with that given that the Colombian state is a US puppet oligarchy specializing in paramilitary-organized extra-judicial trade-unionist killings and drug-trafficking, with their former head-of-state having been involved with Pablo Escobar.

Edited by Wanderlust, 15 August 2010 - 11:39 AM.

Live simply, so others may simply live.

#20 Jackie Clay

Jackie Clay

スレイヤー

• RS Name:Jackie Clay
  • Clan:TSG

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hopefully by 2020 there will have been some great advances to stop 4chan

Not gonna happen.
Posted Image
"I think that if the devil doesn't exist, then man has created him. He has created him in his own image and likeness." ~Dostoyevsky

Slay on.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: