Verdit: The Samsung Galaxy S5's camera outperforms the Sony Xperia Z2's camera in night shots. I've read that the Sony Xperia Z2's colors are more true and that the S5 overprocesses the photos, but I only care about the final result: if the picture looks nicer, in my book, it wins (that's why you'll notice there is no mention of sensor size and megapixels here! )
Other things to think about:
- The S5's camera focuses faster than the Z2's.
- S5 has 2GB ram while Z2 has 3GB. Not sure how much better an extra 1 GB RAM is and if it affects the battery usage.
- S5 has a sliiiiightly faster processor.
- Z2 has a bigger battery but remember that Z2 has a bigger screen and 1GB extra RAM, so it may consume more too.
- Z2 has better waterproofing and a dedicated camera button for taking pics underwater. The S5 is waterproof too, but it's designed to withstand water, not actually be actually operated in the water like Z2 (which is marketed as such).
- The Z2's body is nicer looking than S5's but the Z2's glass front AND glass back makes me feel worried about cracking it.
- Z2 costs more (where I am) by about 15%.
- S5 features a heart-beat monitor (I can see myself using it on my jogs) and has built-in apps for fitness (I use Nike+ currently anyways). There's also a fingerprint scanner... semi-cool, but not a game-changer for me.
- Z2 has active noise cancellation. Now this is something that I'm excited about because I've tried $300+ active noise cancellation headphones before and their effectiveness blew me away (they can get rid of like 90%+ of the noise in an airplane!) The Z2 bundles a pretty decent pair of in-ear headphones as well.
- The Z2 has front-facing stereo speakers so there's less chance of you covering up the speakers with your hands (I always did that on my S3!) and of course, audio probably sounds nicer.
- The S5 is thinner, smaller, and lighter. But, the faux metallic bezel-border is cheap (easily scratches off) and the back is like a flexible leathery surface, but unlike leather, I've read that it feels cheap (and in the "gold" (light brown) color simply resembles a band-aid).
Source of the pics: http://www.xperiablo...-and-galaxy-s5/
Source of everything else: I read a whole bunch of reviews and saw Youtube review videos.