• 3.0 - Types Of Obby Maulers
  • 4.0 - Equipment For Training
  • 5.0 - Training Spots
  • 6.0 - Getting To 55 Slayer
  • 7.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
  • 8.0 - Credits

i - Revision history
» 10/11/07 - Guide Created
» 10/13/07 - Added FAQs, Added types of obby maulers, Updated training spot pictures, Fixed a few errors
» 10/14/07 - Changed some training gear options
» 10/24/07 - Added slayer guide
» 10/30/07 - Added 60 - 99 strength training
» 11/22/07 - Went into more detail on certain aspects of the guide, Fixed a few errors, Tidied things up a bit

1.0 - Introduction
Hey everybody, this is my first guide ever so please don't flame me for it if it's not top of the line :-).  Over the past few months, I've seen more and more obby maulers step into the wild than ever before.  So now I've decided to create this guide for anyone who has been inspired to create an obby mauler, but aren't sure where to start or how to execute this tedious process.

2.0 - Choosing A Name

To me, a good name should be one with little or no random numbers.  If you want people to remember who you are, keep your name simple, and try to avoid using leetspeak.  Also, you may not want to choose a name such as "I_Obby_u" (just a random example) because when pking, that may let your opponent know you have an obby maul hiding in your inventory if you're using a pre-ko weapon.

3.0 - Types Of Obby Maulers

Posted ImagePosted Image 1 Attack Obby Mauler: This type of obby mauler is fairly decent at most levels.  However, this type of mauler uses an obby maul only, which is a slow weapon.  They can very high for their combat level, and are usually the route most maulers take when starting out.

Posted ImagePosted Image 5 Attack Obby Mauler: This type of obby mauler is just like the 1 attack obby mauler, only it sacrifices 1 combat level for an extra 4 attack levels.  I've heard that getting the extra 5 attack helps considerably, but i wouldn't know personally because I've never tested it out.

Posted ImagePosted Image 10 Attack Obby Mauler: This type of obby mauler is just like the 1 attack obby mauler, only it sacrifices 2 combat levels for an extra 9 attack levels.  Again, I know a few obby maulers with 10 attack and they say it is definitely worth getting the extra combat levels for the huge attack advantage.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image 20 Attack Obby Mauler: This type of obby mauler is just like the 1 attack obby mauler, only it sacrifices around 5 combat levels for an extra 19 attack levels.  If they are smart, they will do the quest
Death Plateau, which will raise their attack to 17, and allow them to wear climbing boots.

Posted ImagePosted Image Obby Ranger: This type of obby mauler uses usually darts/knives to get their opponents hp down, and then quickly pulls out the maul to try and k.o.  This type of obby mauler can have 1, 5, or 10 attack, or choose to get 15-20 attack and climbing boots.  This type of mauler is very successful at any combat level.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Slayer's Staff Obby Mauler: This type of obby mauler uses the slayer's staff to lower the opponents health, then pulls out the obby maul to k.o.  This type of obby mauler can have 1, 5, or 10 attack, or choose to get 15-20 attack with climbing boots, which allows an addition 1 max damage.  This breed of maulers is very unexpected, which is a good and bad thing at the same time.  It can catch enemies off guard if they aren't paying attention or careful.

Posted ImagePosted Image Tank Obby Mauler: This type of obby mauler has 40+ defense, 60+ strength and usually 1 or 5 attack.  I've heard they are very good not only at pking, but staking as well.  They can hit fairly decent for their combat level, but also will rarely be touched by opponents because of the high defense and defensive gear.  Another neat thing about these is they can wear defensive gear that can actually increase their strength bonuses dramatically (i.e. dragon boots, fighter torso, etc).

Please note that I will only be showing how to train a ONE ATTACK obby mauler with this guide, the section above is to merely show you the breeds of obby maulers that have sprouted up throughout the times.

4.0 - Equipment For Training

Weapons:

Posted Image Iron Scimitar - Roughly 4k-8k xp per hour

a very primitive, low level weapon.  However, there aren't many other choices being only 1 attack.

PROS: easily obtainable, very inexpensive
CONS: not the best weapon that could be used

Posted Image Red Topaz Machete - Roughly 5k-10k xp per hour

The standard weapon used in training for today's obby maul pures.  It has slightly higher attack and strength bonuses than an iron scimitar, making it better to use.

PROS: slightly more accurate than an iron scimitar, looks cool
CONS: hard to obtain (some desperate to get one will pay to upwards of 100k for one)

Posted Image Slayer's Staff - Roughly 20k-25k xp per hour

The best 1 attack weapons for obby maulers by far.  It's as fast as a whip and has only 5-10 less attack and strength bonus than a rune scimitar.  The downside is you need 55 slayer for to wield it, which i will cover later on in the guide.

PROS: fast as a whip, almost as good attack and strength bonus as a rune scimitar, deadly accurate for being only 1 attack
CONS: needs 55 slayer to wield

Other Helpful Items:

Posted Image Amulet Of Fury

I cannot stress enough how important accuracy is over strength bonus when training from 1 to 60 strength with merely 1 attack.  The amulet of fury gives VERY good bonuses to attack, which is what we want.

PROS: very good attack and defense bonuses
CONS: costs around 3.7 to 3.9 mil

Posted Image Unholy Book

This is basically a damaged zammy book with all 4 torn pages attached.  The zammy book can be attained by completing the Horror From The Deep quest. It gives +8 to all attack bonuses and a nice +4 prayer bonus.  This is essential for efficient training with 1 attack.

PROS: gives a good attack bonus boost
CONS: quest may be hard for some

Posted Image Mith Gloves

Obtained by completing any of the 5 subquests from the Recipe For Disaster quest.
(The 5 easiest subquests to complete are: the goblins, the dwarf, priate pete, skrach uglogwee (ogre), and evil dave)

PROS: give a +6 strength bonus, only cost around 2.5k each, best gloves for a 1 defense pure
CONS: time consuming to obtain

Items Recap:

WEAPON: slayer's staff > red topaz machete > iron scimitar
HELMET: iron
AMULET: fury > glory > power > strength
PLATE: iron
LEGS: d'hide chaps > iron
SHIELD: unholy book > iron
BOOTS: iron > leather
GLOVES: mith > combat bracelet > regular gloves
RING: warrior > berserker
CAPE: trimmed 99 stat cape > 99 stat cape = obsidian > regular

5.0 - Training Spots

Training for obby maulers is VERY limited, not only because of having 1 defense, but because of 1 attack as well.

Free To Play:

Strength 1-40:

I would suggest training on the monks at the monastery
Posted Image

Pay To Play

Strength 1 - 60

since obby maulers pretty much need to pk in members you mind as well get members asap.  The best and probably only training spot suitable for a 1 attack obby mauler is rock crabs
Posted Image

1. Teleport to Camelot or if
2. Follow the routes as shown in the picture above and choose 1 of the 3 routes (note if you're going to use the waterbirth island crabs remember to bring 1k gp which is a fee you must pay to get onto the island)

Info About Each Rock Crab Training Spot:

1. Green Area - located on Waterbirth Island, there are 3 main clusters of rock crabs made up of 2 rock crabs and one of them of 3.  Each cluster is adjacent to a square that you're able to stand on.  It's a non-multi area, but can get crowded during peak times.  There's also lots of snape grass here if you wish to collect those also.

2. Red Area - located slightly north of Rellekka, and is the most common, well-known rock crabs place people use to train at.  This area is a multi-area and has around 8 or 9 crabs spread about.

3. Blue Area - located just east of Rellekka.  This place is harder to find because instead of entering through the main gates of Rellekka you must go east of the entrance then all the way north.  This area is a multi-area and has about the same amount of crabs as the red area.

Strength 60 - 99

from here on out you can train with a berserker necklace and obby maul at rock crabs.  I wouldn't suggest training on experiments because their defense bonuses are just too high for 1 attack to hit often enough.  I guarantee that at times you will get bored out of your mind training at the same spot with the same weapon, but you can take breaks.  Try skilling, pking, or just chilling if you want, but don't get too preoccupied.  Make sure you remember get back to training also :-)

6.0 - Getting To 55 Slayer

Getting to 55 slayer is a long, rough journey being only 1 attack and defense.  However, if you stick to it, you will achieve it.  I will go over some of the techniques i used to attain 55 slayer.

I used the Vanaka Slayer Master for most of my tasks.  I used all fire strikes and range attacks against the monsters I was able to fight that Vanaka assigned me.  However, If I wasn't able to kill these, i went to the Burthope slayer master and switched tasks.  Most of the Burthope tasks can easily be killed using an obby maul.

Helpful Tips:
  • Use any genie lamps or books of knowledge you get on slayer.  The experience may seem small but it will add up.
  • Try to not take pking or skilling breaks if going for 55 slayer, the wasted time will build up and it will take you a lot longer than you thought.
  • Be aware that you will only receive roughly 1-2k experience in slayer if mauling, and 5-10k experience if maging / ranging.
  • If possible, complete the quest One Small Favor.  It is a very annoying quest, but you are rewarded with 2 10k xp lamps, which you can use on slayer.  This will knock out a little less than 1/8 of your total slayer xp needed for 55 slayer.

7.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What does a berserker necklace do?

» A:
It allows you to hit 20% higher when worn with an obby weapon, but takes away around 10 attack and 20 defense bonuses.

Q: Why don't you mention getting climbing boots for a 1 attack obby mauler?

» A:
The quest death plateau, which allows you to use climbing boots, gives around 3k attack experience, which would bring you to 17 attack

8.0 - Credits
As_Known_As: My obby mauler pure, and person who wrote this guide
Line (D_1_Samler) Created the first ever obby maul pure
Chevy: Corrected me on a few mistakes and also a picture that was incorrect
Gf JaGex: Helped me add some things to certain areas of my guide
F_L_A_T_T Suggested adding training from 60 - 99 strength

Guide Copyright Notice:
All Guides are Copyright © Zybez Corporation, RuneScape Community and the origonal author, 2001-2006+; All Rights Reserved.

All guides submitted to Zybez or RuneScape Community become property of the Zybez Corporation. Use on any other website is PROHIBITED!
Guides can only be used on other sites with permission from Zybez Staff AND the author.

Edited by 1_hit_0wn4g3, 28 November 2007 - 06:30 PM.

Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Help & Rules Section. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Thanks,
cestal

#2 Chevy

Chevy

Please don't cut my catloaf.

• RS Name:chevykid09
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Good guide.
But I've got some things you did wrong.
For one of the questions at the bottom, you should write that berserker necklace allows you to hit 20% higher when wore with an obby weapon.
And for red topaz machete, you have a picture of an iron scimitar.
Former Senior Member, General Discussion CL, Questions CL, Zybez Blogs Interviewer and Writer, Zybez Radio DJ, Zybez Ventrilo Moderator and Zybez Content Team member.

"You betta recognize!" - Kermit

#3 Gf JaGeX

Gf JaGeX

I'm probley high tbh...

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

Good guide, i have some suggestions you could do.

2.0 - Choosing A Name
you can also note to people that chosing a name that obivously makes u an obby mauler like [I obby u] will ruin it for u if u choose to use pre ko wepons and surprise ur oponent.

3.0 Types Of Obby Maulers
obby tank [60 str, 40+ def]
pure obby str [1 attack 60+ str]
what else lol

4.0 - Equipment For Training

forgot obby maul and if u need screenshot of red machete i can do it for u and post u a link ;)

some people train using obby maul only like [attack less and fast purity AKA fast behold]

Mith gloves arent much of a step up from combat brace, combat brace gives more attack bonus wich is better for obby maulers.

99 stat cape == obby cape in stats, exactly the same...
except trimmed , the only thing trimmed capes do is +4 prayer.

5.0 - Training Spots

Good..
ide suggest MEN from 1 str - 20 then monks till 30 then crabs.

6.0  Getting To 55 Slayer
Only low level and mid level are the best.

I know wich monsters are the best there the erm, they look like fire or something forgot name :D there the best they hit like rock crabs.

best time to train range is when u train range, from 30 - whatever.

and mage.

with obby its a bit of a pain.
according to one obby mauler with 55 slayer, it took him 2 weeks to get 55.

7.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
yupp, and is the best.

-SAM
signatures are for noobs >.>

#4 ~Kelly~

~Kelly~

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

iron daggers are also a gr8 training wep and very fast
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Will YUM

Will YUM

Rainbow Unicorn

• RS Name:Three_Wishz
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:20 AM

Cows are also good in f2p that is what I used since monks is always full. The ones by the crafting guide are usually empty so i suggest those. Also the silver light isn't bad for training in f2p and the dark light spec in p2p can be helpful during pk/stake

#6 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:08 AM

Whats the point letting your opponent know youre an obby mauler? It just loses the element of surprise.

[13/26] * [2,383/2595] * [135/138]
Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#7 diligentmonk

diligentmonk

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:43 AM

Good guide,But what's a regeneration ring,Im pretty sure thats the onyx Bracelet:p Perhaps,warrior or beserker ring?
Quit.

#8 1_hit_0wn4g3

1_hit_0wn4g3

As Known As

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

View Postdiligentmonk, on Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

Good guide,But what's a regeneration ring,Im pretty sure thats the onyx Bracelet:p Perhaps,warrior or beserker ring?
aah forgot about those...thanks :p
Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Help & Rules Section. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Thanks,
cestal

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

If you want, you can add some of my information from my Rock Crab guide. But anyway, good job :wub:.

#10 1_hit_0wn4g3

1_hit_0wn4g3

As Known As

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

View PostF L A T T, on Oct 14 2007, 10:59 AM, said:

If you want, you can add some of my information from my Rock Crab guide. But anyway, good job :wub:.
thanks for the offer, but i don't want to take up most of my guide on training spots.....i think what i have is enough for now, nice guide also
Thanks,
cestal

#11 mr g maul

mr g maul

• RS Name:mr g maul
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

very nice guide man but can you add the slayer part i really wanna know about this and do you train with obby maul at rock crabs with zerker necklace?

Posted Image

#12 1_hit_0wn4g3

1_hit_0wn4g3

As Known As

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:17 PM

View Postmr g maul, on Oct 19 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

very nice guide man but can you add the slayer part i really wanna know about this and do you train with obby maul at rock crabs with zerker necklace?
I train with slayer staff + fury at crabs
Thanks,
cestal

#13 vlados2

vlados2

2007 Worlds are the best thing to happen to RS ever!

• RS Name:Halo4nogood
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

In your pictures of neessacary bonuses add the warrior ring.
Posted Image

Ever wonder whats north of the wilderness? Find out here! http://www.zybez.net...owtopic=1035166

When Jagex released PvP worlds, the people rejoiced and we're finally satisfied. Simply Amazing.

#14 Brutal Hippy

Brutal Hippy

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

Why use the fury when you can use the berserker dude? Do you prefer more accuracy over higher hits?

Ps: great guide

Posted Image

Spreading The Love, One Maul To The Face At A Time.

My Obby Pure's Thread:
http://www.zybez.net...howtopic=940855

#15 firedimos

firedimos

• RS Name:i flashed u

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

rock crabs  dont hit 6!..
nice guild anyways

x m1ll1on x

#16 Jippiestimp

Jippiestimp

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Isn't the Battlestaff a good weapon seeing it's str bonus? (like 30)
And combat bracelet works fine to. :thumbsup:

#17 1_hit_0wn4g3

1_hit_0wn4g3

As Known As

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

View Postfiredimos, on Oct 21 2007, 10:12 AM, said:

rock crabs  dont hit 6!..
nice guild anyways

x m1ll1on x
well according to zybez monster database they do  :thumbsup:

View PostJippiestimp, on Oct 21 2007, 01:29 PM, said:

Isn't the Battlestaff a good weapon seeing it's str bonus? (like 30)
And combat bracelet works fine to. ^_^
well a battlestaff requires 40 attack and yea a cb brace works fine also
Thanks,
cestal

#18 Line

Line

Unofficial RSD member [Depends on who you ask!]

• RS Name:D_1_Samler
  • Clan:RSD

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

Its always fun to see people make guides about this,was fun when there only were me. But theres a lfew things which could be added :)

Dramen staff - lost city required. quiet good staff as it hits faster than slayer staff but have a lack in str bonus, but an good alternertive.

Combat bracelet if you don't want to get mith gloves.

Red spiders - edge doungon is also good xp. to times better than rock crabs. mostly better

Earth elements/water - good xp, and good drops. found below seers village after start of a quest.

Fury/zeker comboing. If useing more than 1 weapon can i say this works pretty well, the accurate hist of fury mixed along with the hard hits from zeker ammy.

Zeker ring, easy str bonus.

a Random note here. Fury can easyly own a zeker necklass. due the negatice stats of zeker, and the positive stats of fury makes the fury ammy get a quiet big aventage.

If you deside to do DT then theres a aventage also there, many know the blitz g maul combo, or a combo like that, but if your going as hybrid with acidents, then blitz or waht ever spell useing, (smoke spells quiet handy) add along a ranged special and charge with obby maul. a easy way to get a kill as they don't know you can hit high (unless they know you, looked you up ect)

Posted Image
~Still known as the first obby mauler~
Signature made by: D 1 Samler aka ME!

#19 pinksk8er12

pinksk8er12

• RS Name:pinksk8er12

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:01 PM

this is a really great guide but I have a lvl 86 main and I am thinking of starting an obby mauler pure but is it better than a dds pure and is it worth the time taking off from the main?
[url="http://www.zybez.net/community/index.php?showtopic=874263"]Posted Image [/url]

#20 1_hit_0wn4g3

1_hit_0wn4g3

As Known As

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:34 AM

View PostLine, on Oct 21 2007, 02:10 PM, said:

Its always fun to see people make guides about this,was fun when there only were me. But theres a lfew things which could be added :)

Dramen staff - lost city required. quiet good staff as it hits faster than slayer staff but have a lack in str bonus, but an good alternertive.

Combat bracelet if you don't want to get mith gloves.

Red spiders - edge doungon is also good xp. to times better than rock crabs. mostly better

Earth elements/water - good xp, and good drops. found below seers village after start of a quest.

Fury/zeker comboing. If useing more than 1 weapon can i say this works pretty well, the accurate hist of fury mixed along with the hard hits from zeker ammy.

Zeker ring, easy str bonus.

a Random note here. Fury can easyly own a zeker necklass. due the negatice stats of zeker, and the positive stats of fury makes the fury ammy get a quiet big aventage.

If you deside to do DT then theres a aventage also there, many know the blitz g maul combo, or a combo like that, but if your going as hybrid with acidents, then blitz or waht ever spell useing, (smoke spells quiet handy) add along a ranged special and charge with obby maul. a easy way to get a kill as they don't know you can hit high (unless they know you, looked you up ect)
dramen staff - haven't tried dramen staff but i know for a fact nothing in the game hits faster than a whip, which is how fast a slayer staff hits

combat bracelets - i mentioned combat braces in the guide already

red spiders - red spiders are too hard to hit with only 1 attack

earth elementals - same as red spiders, too hard to hit with 1 attack

fury vs zerker necklace - this is simple: fury for training, zerker for pking.

zerker ring - warrior for training with a scim / red topaz machete, zerker for training with obby maul

blitz / obby maul combo - dt can't be done on a 1 attack pure because you need to complete waterfall quest which gets you to 30 attack

do you have any experience with an obby mauler?? because frankly it doesn't seem like it.  You're giving me a lot of false information and some things I've already mentioned.
Thanks,
cestal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: