Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-02 at 09:04. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

What Are Your Thoughts On General Discussion?

• Please log in to reply
1417 replies to this topic

#1401 Ol foxy

Ol foxy

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >

Posted 20 June 2013 - 3:43 PM

All I have to say is Atarah is a legend cuz you've been here for a long time.

/endcompliment

You should've seen Atarah when he started posting in GD. Every post was a masterpiece.

P.S. - It's foxxy

#1402 Imaginations

Imaginations

• RS Name:uAir
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Need One </3

Posted 01 July 2013 - 6:08 PM

General Discussion.. Hmm. As I See it, I see it as an Opportunity to get Not only get Post Count, But to make new Friends and And be introduced to the Community. As well as Anything else Regarding Runescape, Besides Spam, of course.

#1403 Evf

Evf

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Etotama
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:less

Posted 01 July 2013 - 6:10 PM

I feel that the General Discussion allows people to have a more open mind when posting.

#FreePkPete

#1404 Dr Destiny

Dr Destiny

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Downfall
  • Team:Trinity

Posted 01 July 2013 - 7:38 PM

General discussion is a great addition to these forums because it gives people an oppurtunity to speak their mind about really anything concerning Runescape. Its similar to the "Off-topic" forum as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1405 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >

Posted 18 September 2013 - 2:24 PM

Can we have a rule something to the effect of less topics about how "JaGEx is going downhill", "When will RS die", "Why is RS dying", etc. These topics almost always overlap, rarely provide new insights, and account for almost half of the topics in GD in recent memory. That and as people try to reach even further to have a topic just unique enough to avoid a lock, but still in essence addressing the same issue they become more and more distasteful.

Or at least I'd suggest merging some of the ones that are similar in the future, granted they are not all the same the overlap is usually enough to see where things fit. They seem to remain open because OP usually purposefully tweaks their topic just enough it won't get locked. They still follow the rules and such, but it's pretty transparent to most readers.

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#1406 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Leader

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Can we have a rule something to the effect of less topics about how "JaGEx is going downhill", "When will RS die", "Why is RS dying", etc. These topics almost always overlap, rarely provide new insights, and account for almost half of the topics in GD in recent memory. That and as people try to reach even further to have a topic just unique enough to avoid a lock, but still in essence addressing the same issue they become more and more distasteful.

Or at least I'd suggest merging some of the ones that are similar in the future, granted they are not all the same the overlap is usually enough to see where things fit. They seem to remain open because OP usually purposefully tweaks their topic just enough it won't get locked. They still follow the rules and such, but it's pretty transparent to most readers.

As long as it's unique enough to keep a discussion going, I usually don't see a reason to lock it. Most of the topics are talking about different aspects of the game (whether it's when it will die, or why it's failing). Although they're similar, they're not the same and bring up different questions to the community. For the most part, readers just seem to respond the same.

Example: When will RS die? - RS will die within the next few years because ________________________
Why is RS failing? - RS is failing because _______________________________

The blanks for the most part will be the same, even though the topic is not necessarily asking for the reason why it's going to die, rather why/how the reader came up with that amount of time.

As of right now on the first page of GD we have:
- Jagex and it's "struggle" (Questioning Jagex's pricing and how to market OSRS/EOC)
- What Pushed You To Either Quit Or Play 07Rs? (Reasons why you quit the game)
- 2007 Runescape Going Downhill Fast? (Talking about how changing/introducing new things to an Old School server ruins the nostalgic feel of the game)
- How Can Jagex Deal With Runescape's Falling Userbase? (Suggestions to help Jagex fix the game to keep people interested)
- What Motivates You To Keep Playing? (Reasons why you keep playing the game)
- Life Expectancy? (How long do you think Runescape will continue to operate)

I can see a little overlap (Example: what motivates people will play could be suggestions to help jagex keep people interested) but for the most part, each topic is unique and looking at something different to consider.

Edited by Cera S6, 18 September 2013 - 11:36 PM.

Mike|Cera_S6
Violent Resolution Leader - VR Discord
Team Trinity Member
1geuK.jpg
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13) | Frozen Fury Member (16)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Adversity Warlord (15 - 17) | Flip Flops Member (16) | Elusive Member (16/17) | Immaculate Senior (17) | Team Trinity Member (18 - Present) | Revolt Warlord (18)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Leader (06 - Present)

Eg1XIjr.pngqvDrX9K.png

ushLGon.pngmxPeorR.png

#1407 Kelly

Kelly

*Dalek voice* Exterminate!

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:i Kelly

Posted 19 September 2013 - 1:53 AM

I find General Discussions (and its subsections) and the Achievements section (and its subsection) to be the two places in which I both lurk and post the most. This section is very appealing, as people can come together and constructively, yet also respectfully, give their opinions on various Runescape-oriented topics. Always interesting to see a different take on something; thoughts in which I would probably never have thought, myself.

Basically one of my favorite sections.

Posted Image

[My Goals & Achievements Thread] - [Ex-Zybez Maintenance Crew] - [Ex-Zybez DJ]

~~ Join Zybez's in-game friends chat: "Zchat" ~~

Posted Image

#1408 Gintoki

Gintoki

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Bentoki
  • Clan:Afrobros
  • Team:zchat

Posted 19 September 2013 - 5:19 AM

I have always favored this section because I like to discuss the game with others. Although some may see this section in a way to gain support to their opposition towards Jagex as pointed out earlier, the section still serves it's purpose and those "other" topics can simply be ignored.

xD4B8ER.png

#1409 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 19 September 2013 - 7:00 AM

I can see a little overlap (Example: what motivates people will play could be suggestions to help jagex keep people interested) but for the most part, each topic is unique and looking at something different to consider.

True, but like I said posters are very much so aware of the overlap and how to make their topics just unique enough to avoid a lock. This doesn't really stimulate conversation that hasn't already happened. Take it as you wish, it just seems pointless and tedious to me.

Also, if you dig a bit deeper we have more topics on the same subject, some with a different key points, but again they generate the same type of responses.
  • OSRS Community Issues (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) Some of these may seem like a stretch, but they are so numerous I think you get the point.
  • Declining user-base (1, 2, 3)
  • OSRS Updates Discussions (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) I tried to omit ones about actual updates and just list the suggestions / discussion on suggestions.
I'm not saying all of the discussions I linked are bad topics, I'm just using them to show how numerous they are, and how bland the contrast is. Realistically I could copy & paste the same answer to just about each one and it would be valid so I don't see how each warrants it's own topic. Also, some of these "discuss X" topics are 1-5 sentences, even after rubbing right against a pre-existing topics subject this comes down to quantity or quality in terms of topics, maybe tighten up a little to the effect of "if your topic isn't sufficient in terms of quality it will be merged with another" - granted not everything has another topic it could just slide into, but based on the examples most do.

Lastly, a lot of these are straight from the RSOF "do not suggest list" - basically a list of things JaGEx is aware of, and are either working on, can't do with the current staff structure / technological tools, or has heard so many times before allowing topics just creates spam.
If we let everyone post a topic on what do you think of X update? We could easily have 10 topics in a week to that effect, since people seem to like scrutinizing every little thing - or have others scrutinize it for them.

These are all from the first 3/4 pages. I'm sure there would be plenty more if I went through another one, two, or more.

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#1410 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Leader

Posted 19 September 2013 - 2:11 PM

I see what you're getting at but again, it's the responses from people and I personally don't see a reason to close a topic because people are responding similarly to another topic. Updates will always allowed to be posted for people to discussion the specific update, not OSRS updates in general. Most of the time, those kinds of topics turn into "Jagex shouldn't be making any updates, ruining the game" type posts and that response can be used for all update topics. That's not the purpose of the topic though and not the author's fault so, don't see a reason to close the topic over it. We continue to remove posts that are off topic but when people are expressing their opinions straying a little off topic, we don't mind keeping those replies.

I'll discuss it with other GD staff but personally, I don't see the harm in leaving these types of topics open.

Mike|Cera_S6
Violent Resolution Leader - VR Discord
Team Trinity Member
1geuK.jpg
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13) | Frozen Fury Member (16)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Adversity Warlord (15 - 17) | Flip Flops Member (16) | Elusive Member (16/17) | Immaculate Senior (17) | Team Trinity Member (18 - Present) | Revolt Warlord (18)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Leader (06 - Present)

Eg1XIjr.pngqvDrX9K.png

ushLGon.pngmxPeorR.png

#1411 asTbeco7C0AxD

asTbeco7C0AxD

Posted 14 November 2013 - 1:03 PM

I haven't been very active in General Discussion recently so i am not sure if you have been doing these, but, debating competitions were always fun to read. Maybe there could be another one soon?

#1412 BrotherVoid1

BrotherVoid1

Retired Completionist

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:BrotherVoid1
  • Clan:DGS

Posted 15 November 2013 - 4:16 AM

I haven't been very active in General Discussion recently so i am not sure if you have been doing these, but, debating competitions were always fun to read. Maybe there could be another one soon?

Though we've discussed it on several occasions, we haven't done one in almost 18 months due to a lack of interest. If it's something people are interested in doing though, then we could certainly look into hosting another one. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Edited by BrotherVoid1, 15 November 2013 - 4:41 AM.

Posted Image
Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe;
if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire…

#1413 Sfa05

Sfa05

• Rating: < -5 | -5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Sfa05
  • RS Status:Free
  • Clan:Dragonwood

Posted 15 November 2013 - 5:07 AM

Also, if you dig a bit deeper we have more topics on the same subject, some with a different key points, but again they generate the same type of responses.

• OSRS Community Issues (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) Some of these may seem like a stretch, but they are so numerous I think you get the point.
  • Declining user-base (1, 2, 3)
  • OSRS Updates Discussions (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) I tried to omit ones about actual updates and just list the suggestions / discussion on suggestions.
I'm not saying all of the discussions I linked are bad topics, I'm just using them to show how numerous they are, and how bland the contrast is. Realistically I could copy & paste the same answer to just about each one and it would be valid so I don't see how each warrants it's own topic. Also, some of these "discuss X" topics are 1-5 sentences, even after rubbing right against a pre-existing topics subject this comes down to quantity or quality in terms of topics, maybe tighten up a little to the effect of "if your topic isn't sufficient in terms of quality it will be merged with another" - granted not everything has another topic it could just slide into, but based on the examples most do.
I went through a couple of those posts and the OP + topics are completely different. Can't open too many things so I can only speak for your "Declining user-base" and first three for "OSRS community issues" topics. They had a decent amount of time in between each other, and were about different issues. Whether or not the posts devolve into the same thing is irrelevant. There's no reason to censor topics addressing Jagex's / RS's problems because the point is to get some sort of discussion going. If it doesn't interest you just look away like I do most of the time with anything RS3 related.
Posted Image
Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Signature & Avatar Rules. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me. Thanks, Yorick.
Posted Image

#1414 HabboQuitter

HabboQuitter

HabboQuitter

• RS Name:HabboQuitter
  • Clan:zSkillers

Posted 29 April 2014 - 3:22 AM

I've enjoyed going through the variety of topics so far (and I've barely seen any)
They're all unique with a new personality and subject.
I just read a the few, first responses to this thread ~ which is why I point out...
Even if the topics are similar, they're always spiced up w/ originality by the user.

& some of the experiences people go through are quite amusing to read about.
This thread might be old, but that's not going to prevent me from responding xP
You guys know you've delighted the members by now, so this is just my little input, which might have already been said a million times to date.
L O R D (Not being cocky, that's what my name stands for)

#1415 LimpyOSRS

LimpyOSRS

• RS Name:Limpy

Posted 10 October 2015 - 4:31 AM

General discussion board is awesome it gets us all together to discuss about both Runescape 3 and Oldschool Runescape.

#1416 zagurus

zagurus

Posted 26 November 2015 - 3:51 AM

Is it me or dose the verification not work i tried like 50 times nothing it keeps saying verification code not found any one got any suggestions ?

#1417 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

• RS Status:Free

Posted 26 November 2015 - 9:00 PM

Is it me or dose the verification not work i tried like 50 times nothing it keeps saying verification code not found any one got any suggestions ?

Yeah, unfortunately it's not working at the moment. Post a thread in Deadman Price Guide Support indicating what your RSN is and which page your verification code is on, and a moderator will be able to verify you manually :-).

Need any RS help? PM me in-game (PM *always* on!) or here and I'll do my best to either help out or point you in the right direction. Don't be shy!

#1418 Elfixy

Elfixy

• RS Name:Dh

Posted 28 March 2016 - 8:23 PM

I feel like its primary use is to boost initial post count, unfortunately.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: