Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-02 at 09:04. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

What Are Your Thoughts On General Discussion?

• Please log in to reply
1417 replies to this topic

#41 Lvpersons25

Lvpersons25

I'm not a variation on a theme.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

I respect all the CL's of General Discussion..They have to choose between a good topic and bad..Which sometimes can lead to conflict. I love reading the posts..mostly the intellectual posts of Pele .. But hey.. They're all good.

Thanks man, its a tough job and I am glad this job is not in vain. I fell in love this board for all the same reasons not so long ago.

:) I just think that we could use different topics .. other than "What if Runescape was never here" and stuff like that..

While I agree, the problem is that's not the sort of thing we CL's can single-handedly fix. We can post as many new and different topics as we like, but in essence it needs to be a movement from the members towards new threads if you want more interesting topics.

Retired GD+etc CL, SeMe, RAW Manager, and Adelais member.

Sow an Act, Reap a Habit. Sow a Habit, Reap a Character. Sow a Character, Reap a Destiny.

Skannon Adelphoi.

Stop and Think.

#42 Cape

Cape

Runescape is serious business.

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Ultima Cape
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:AFRO

Posted 14 August 2007 - 8:55 PM

I respect all the CL's of General Discussion..They have to choose between a good topic and bad..Which sometimes can lead to conflict. I love reading the posts..mostly the intellectual posts of Pele .. But hey.. They're all good.

Thanks man, its a tough job and I am glad this job is not in vain. I fell in love this board for all the same reasons not so long ago.

:) I just think that we could use different topics .. other than "What if Runescape was never here" and stuff like that..

While I agree, the problem is that's not the sort of thing we CL's can single-handedly fix. We can post as many new and different topics as we like, but in essence it needs to be a movement from the members towards new threads if you want more interesting topics.
Exactly, us members are the problem, we are the ones making these boring topics, and yet, we are also the solution. We need to post the new and different topics, not the CL's.
http://www.uzzisoft....ltima_cape.jpeg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

They see me rollin'....

#43 Teddy

Teddy

Excuse me?

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Sc0rp X L R

Posted 16 August 2007 - 3:14 AM

Well, I don't think there's anything to do. I think my topics are rather creative...even if no one posts in them :whistle:
http://img513.images...nlyoriginal.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#44 Jacnoc

Jacnoc

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

It's where I post the most.
Probably because there are a lot of good topics in General Discussion. :innocent:

joshuacasey.net

@JoshuaACasey on Twitter, Instagram, Twitch, Snapchat, Steam, Discord, Origin, and Uplay

#45 Blenders

Blenders

You go penguin, shake that thang!

Posted 21 August 2007 - 2:21 AM

GD is one of my favorite RSC forums. But alot of duplicate topics hang around (every nomination for the last GOTM I had seen before). Some good new topics comming though. Some people are turned off by longer topics and some good discussion go amiss because of that. Maybe you could encourage people who like to post extensively on a subject to also write a summary seperate from the rest summing up all of their other paragraphs for the poster on the go.

http://img142.images...">approved host.]
Retired Questions and Guides CL. Retired SeMe.

#46 Five Aces

Five Aces

"You win again, gravity!"

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Five Aces
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Team Cool

Posted 29 August 2007 - 9:22 AM

Sadly, whenever I come in here I look at most of the discussions and decide they're crap. Half of them are rants where some nut gets angry about something... Usually because the way they've chosen to play the game differs from the way someone else has decided to play the game, and they feel the other person has an unfair disadvantage as a result.

On top of that I find the quality of responses utterly depressing. It's a shame that most of the decent replies I see are attached to a purple, red, or green pip.

The worst is when I find a topic that looks interesting, and I decide to post in it, but when I do so I find that most of the replies comprise of a sentence agreeing or disagreeing with the topic starter, but don't bring anything else to the table. This is sometimes due to the topic starter making their original post too aggressive (in which case people who think otherwise steer clear), or the people replying are just lazy gits. On top of this, any reply I make is lost in the sea of one-liners, and nobody ever takes me up in discussion.

To sum it up, I find the contents of the board boring. The topics, by and large, seem uninspired, and the replies are even worse. This is, of course, not the fault of the leaders of the board, but you asked me how I viewed the board.

If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist,
it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.

To be willing to die for an idea is to set a rather high price on conjecture.

#47 Her Skill

Her Skill

His Skill, I'm sorry.

• RS Name:Her Skill
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 31 August 2007 - 8:54 AM

This is a great forum really, always a Discussion to post in.
Recovered her skill: 10/6/09: 10:04 P.M.
I apologize deeply to his skill, i wrongly accused you of hacking my account, when you clearly didn't.

#48 Pker Link0

Pker Link0

Vagtastic Voyage.

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Pker Link0
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

Too many gold-farmer topics.

:)

http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Droppn%20Bombz.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#49 Phoenom

Phoenom

Hello

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Besides the obvious "there aren't enough unique topics", I think Five Aces sums it up quite nicely, even if he didn't mean to.

On top of this, any reply I make is lost in the sea of one-liners, and nobody ever takes me up in discussion.

This is what I mean. When I take the effort to make a reply because I want a discussion with either the topic starter or somebody else on the topic [I'm not fussy you know], and the next post is "I agree", and I get blatantly ignored, I just get ignored. I spend 10+ minutes replying to a topic and hoping for discussion, but I get ignored, because everybody just replies to the topic starter and ignores other people.

So why should I bother to write a reply to a topic when nobody replies to me? I don't reply for ranks or ratings; I reply for a discussion, and I find it sad that the discussion's being sapped out of this forum because people only reply to the topic starter.

http://img395.images...eonomsigos0.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Retired CL of the Market Place.
~Proud ex-Mentee of the Monumental Fire.Freek, and his little helper G-nius.

#50 anselhelm

anselhelm

Moved On

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:anselhelm
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 04 September 2007 - 1:48 PM

I would recommend that we need moderators to actively delete one line responses or cut down on people who quote peoples' arguments line by line in order to flame them. There is a sensible and defendable amount of mature and level-headed debate that goes on, but there is equally as much bashing and flaming by people with very arrogant natures. Maybe this goes hand in hand with some of the younger players of RS in general, but as a former moderator myself of technical forums, it can be brought under control if a reporting systems is enforced (and made clear to all) to report breaches of general netiquette.

That's how I see it at least.

#51 Ecolab

Ecolab

What it is

• RS Name:Ecolab

Posted 05 September 2007 - 6:55 PM

I would recommend that we need moderators to actively delete one line responses or cut down on people who quote peoples' arguments line by line in order to flame them. There is a sensible and defendable amount of mature and level-headed debate that goes on, but there is equally as much bashing and flaming by people with very arrogant natures. Maybe this goes hand in hand with some of the younger players of RS in general, but as a former moderator myself of technical forums, it can be brought under control if a reporting systems is enforced (and made clear to all) to report breaches of general netiquette.

That's how I see it at least.

There is a report button. :thumbsup: Also, we Cls try to keep GD clean, but sometimes we simply aren't on. We will try our best to clear the spam, but there will always be a few missed one-liners here and there.
Posted Image
[Retired from Runescape][Senior Member]

#52 Del Rocks

Del Rocks

Nostalgic over RS '03-'06

Posted 06 September 2007 - 6:56 PM

I know that Serious Discussion was horribly inactive, but I do miss it; it was actually full of good posts and thoughts. I wish it could be brought back, and even if it's not active, still, it'll be a nice subforum of General Discussion.
~Witty comment.

#53 A burger

A burger

Posted 07 September 2007 - 5:28 PM

I think the General Discussion is fine, but I think people need to stop making a title under the main title for the page that's always a question, like:

"Autoers"
are they really bad?

It makes it sound like one of those talk shows like Oprah or something like that. Really annoys me lol, but that's just me.
Restrain yourselves. It's better where we're at. F2P skilling clan ^_^
Restraint Forums

http://img502.images...eschronoae3.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9902/prisonbreakuk9.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7051/bondbh2.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#54 Pm Andrew

Pm Andrew

• RS Name:Royal9
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 24 September 2007 - 4:07 PM

Personally, I believe its a great place for General Discussion tbh.
http://img529.images...l9sig6xisw4.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#55 Rarez

Rarez

Posted 24 September 2007 - 5:58 PM

alot of stupid and dumb posts.
Never forget.. chase your dreams

Runescape Classic Fact Sheet
Very interesting. 280000+ views, 900+ replies

#56 THOMAS

THOMAS

:::Clan Discussion Addict:::

• RS Name:Mixd Up
  • Clan:RSC

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

Here is my suggestion:
I see a LOT of topics that have the lovely multi-mod reply informing the user that they are breaking GD rules and encouraging them to read them. This is well and good, but I'm guessing it is a bit of a turn off for users to repost when they honestly have no idea what they did wrong.

There are a fair bit of bad topics here but not SO MANY that you can't make a reply to each as to why their thread got locked.

So simply put:
Make personal replies when closing topics explaining in a line or so why the topic isn't conforming.

Edited by Tmal34, 07 October 2007 - 11:49 AM.

http://img211.images...asfinal3ii7.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

RSC Staff since early 2007 - Self proclaimed legend of CD

#57 Mod-Spax

Mod-Spax

A true King in the making!

• RS Name:Smidy GP
  • Clan:classified

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

I love this forum because i can discuss views with fellow players :)

Bring back DOTW!
Posted Image
Click link to support!
Need help taking Screenshots? Click here.
Posted Image

An eye for an eye, leaves the whole world blind
-Mahatma Gandhi

#58 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 07 October 2007 - 6:19 PM

Here is my suggestion:
I see a LOT of topics that have the lovely multi-mod reply informing the user that they are breaking GD rules and encouraging them to read them. This is well and good, but I'm guessing it is a bit of a turn off for users to repost when they honestly have no idea what they did wrong.

There are a fair bit of bad topics here but not SO MANY that you can't make a reply to each as to why their thread got locked.

So simply put:
Make personal replies when closing topics explaining in a line or so why the topic isn't conforming.

Well if they feel it is unfair they could always PM me or if they don't trust my opinion, another CL. I try to personally reply to every topic but I usually just multi- mod the ones that are easily answered by reading the rules.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#59 THOMAS

THOMAS

:::Clan Discussion Addict:::

• RS Name:Mixd Up
  • Clan:RSC

Posted 07 October 2007 - 8:50 PM

Well if they feel it is unfair they could always PM me or if they don't trust my opinion, another CL. I try to personally reply to every topic but I usually just multi- mod the ones that are easily answered by reading the rules.

Sure I can see your logic, but from a point of view of someone who hasn't had one locked, all I see is a bunch of topics that are multimodded. It seems to me like perhaps 1/10 has a closing message with it that is personalized.

I understand that members should be expected to read the rules, and shouldn't be spoon fed the right answers, but in this case I think the most common situation is a newer member to General Discussion coming to make a post that they have thought about and finding out that it breaks the rules. Instead of reading the rules they get frustrated and end up leaving GD to find a different section that is more welcoming I guess.

I think you guys as CLs and mods do a great job, but by personalizing your replies you are taking a total of ONE extra minute per thread to completely change the image from kind of a robotic approach to a warm, welcoming one that invites people to improve upon their thread and try again.

I know if I were knew I would have different opinions when I heard:
-This breaks the rules, read them.
-This topic doesn't offer enough discussion. You are asking a question that is basically yes or no and we are looking for a bit more than that here in GD. Try a topic that doesn't restrict posters so much. Good luck!

The 2nd one took me like 30 seconds to type and in my opinion would definitely cause the poster to try again in comparison to the multimodded version.

http://img211.images...asfinal3ii7.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

RSC Staff since early 2007 - Self proclaimed legend of CD

#60 doomoo

doomoo

Puff

Posted 08 October 2007 - 1:05 PM

Browing the gen.discussion forum - I have seen most of the topics are rants, perhaps a sub-forum could be opend up for these 'rants' instead of them taking up a lot of space in this forum.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: