Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-02 at 09:04. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

What Are Your Thoughts On General Discussion?

• Please log in to reply
1417 replies to this topic

#21 Zwitter

Zwitter

Posted 05 August 2007 - 9:47 PM

I think the General Discussion forum is fine how it is. I'm always on this forum, browsing and enjoying peoples opinions, but i do think that some of the moderators could lay back a bit on how some things dont generate enough discussion, because some people may think otherwise and want to discuss on a certain topic.
~Zwitter.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
|PM|
Me for help, but please check with higher resources before and after.
The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money. - Mark Twain.

#22 Teigetje0

Teigetje0

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Teigetje0
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 06 August 2007 - 9:59 AM

When I think about GD, a few things come to my mind:
  • Repetition - I've seen enough topics about autoers to last me a year
  • Some great discussions that however have people posting replies like "Same" or "I agree" - Why do these people even bother posting if they can't contribute to the discussion?
  • Some very bad spelling or 1337-speak - I can't force myself to read posts written like that :-P
I think the moderators and forum leaders are doing what they can to influence the quality of the General Discussions forum but in the end it's the posters who can make or break a good discussion.

Posted Image

#23 Dave

Dave

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

I think it's doing pretty well at this minute. Not as active as I would like it to be, but it's getting there slowly.
#cdrsc, come beef with the best.
CL of Clan Discussion and Clan Fights

#24 Axeraider67

Axeraider67

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Axeraider67
  • Clan:No Clan.

Posted 06 August 2007 - 1:39 PM

Personally i'd like it better if moderators cared less about discussion value. People will generally ignore them anyway and let them sikn, so why not.

Edited by Axeraider67, 06 August 2007 - 1:39 PM.

This space is sad inside.

#25 Zwitter

Zwitter

Posted 07 August 2007 - 1:58 AM

Personally i'd like it better if moderators cared less about discussion value. People will generally ignore them anyway and let them sikn, so why not.

Well, I did say something like that, but after spending a while longer in the General Discussion forum I've decided I was wrong. The topics they close are closed for a good reason, and most they close I've reported to them, so I really can't say anything about them needing to lay back. This is my favorite forum :-P
-Zwitter
Posted Image
|PM|
The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money. - Mark Twain.

#26 Peter

Peter

Let me sign...

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 07 August 2007 - 7:37 AM

The public conception that, 'a long poster is a good poster' - in my opinion - threatens to spoil to constructive nature of most posts now being created in GD. While many posts are well thought out, and created because the composer has a genuine interest in the topic, and equal amount are created specifically to 'look good' rather than to obtain the opinions of the community.

I've always believed fun is the way to go, and thus quality > quantity.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/745/blakesmalicesignature.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#27 Mr Banshee

Mr Banshee

Shoop da Whoop

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Mr Banshee
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 09 August 2007 - 5:15 PM

What I've wished to see was a "Do not post" list, like for Suggestions (do not post runescape news, server failure, getting hacked/scammed, etc.)

I thought that'd be coming eventually. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
(...)

#28 Ecolab

Ecolab

What it is

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Ecolab

Posted 09 August 2007 - 6:46 PM

I think the General Discussion forum is fine how it is. I'm always on this forum, browsing and enjoying peoples opinions, but i do think that some of the moderators could lay back a bit on how some things dont generate enough discussion, because some people may think otherwise and want to discuss on a certain topic.
~Zwitter.

Some topics are just shining a light on themselves though. Some topics posted here, are so half-way thought out, that the only discussion that is generated, is discussion not relating to the topic. We are trying to be as lenient as possible, without becoming doormats. :thumbsup:

I think it's doing pretty well at this minute. Not as active as I would like it to be, but it's getting there slowly.

There is intense practices, and other real life issues, I wish not to discuss, that prevents me from being as active as I would like to be, but, I am getting older, more things are coming up in my life that are of higher priority.

However, we are not stopping you, from making topics, and posting more around here. :suspect: Instead of speculating the problem, why not be apart of the solution?

Yeah, lets just go ahead and let a idiot topic pass here and there, we won't have any ramifications, nah, not at all. Wrong. If we appear to be doormats, then we will be treated as such. Sometimes it is necessary to lay down the law, and step in if a topic is producing nothing by post count. :-O

What I've wished to see was a "Do not post" list, like for Suggestions (do not post runescape news, server failure, getting hacked/scammed, etc.)

I thought that'd be coming eventually. :whistle:

We (The GD CLs) have speculated about one. Most of us have mixed feelings on the matter, and I will not speak for the others. However, I will voice my opinion: I believe a banned topics list, would limit so much discussion around here. Sure you have the repetition, but there are also ways to branch off of a particular subject, and create new points of view, and discussion on these topics. If we have a banned topics list, then people would think that topics that are spin-offs, copied, or just redone discussions are not allowed, therefore, hardly any topics would be posted. Thus resulting, in a wave of inactivity, like you read about.

I apologize for not replying to you all earlier. Once again, I have real life issues, but I can not account for the others.
Posted Image
[Retired from Runescape][Senior Member]

#29 SuperGT

SuperGT

Bust a move.

• RS Name:SuperGT
  • Clan:Team Uncool

Posted 09 August 2007 - 8:34 PM

Yes that will generally not happen, we don't want GD to become a spam-hole-of-doom. Even if we do ignore those topics, there will be at least: 5 posts of spam saying "Discussion value?" 5 more posts of spam/ flames, and 5 more posts of 'lol' or 'gf jagex' or something. This all depends on the topic. A topic in genereal DISCUSSION needs a DISCUSSION.

#30 Nada Chantz

Nada Chantz

Posted 09 August 2007 - 9:16 PM

This forum and pictures forums are my favorite. I haven't seen any serious flamers, or rule breakers on this thread. you are all doing a fine job. :thumbsup:
Things may Change! Yippee!

http://www.zybez.net...howtopic=968627

#31 John

John

Wo viel gelebt wird, wird auch viel gestorben.

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >

Posted 10 August 2007 - 3:01 AM

General Discussion was once the pinnacle of intellectual stimulation for RSC. This was years ago, in a time when people hadn't already brought up (and then recycled) all of the best ideas to discuss. This was a time when there were immensely fewer members on RSC than there are now. This was a time when people built up bonds with as many 'regulars' as possible without consideration for age, rank, rating, or any other status. This was a far different time: a time which, unfortunately, cannot be revived or restored.

With that in mind, we must take it upon ourselves to improve General Discussion. No, 'ourselves' does not refer to the Moderators, nor does it mean the staff. It refers to us -- the collective population of RSC (or at least those of us who are prone to making the occasional visit to General Discussion). Everyone needs to understand something: it is not difficult to separate two types of members: those who post for fun and/or to make General Discussion a more enjoyable or intellectually satisfying environment for others; and those who post to get individual recognition through ratings, awards, and the like. Trust me when I say, everyone likes and respects the former FAR more than the latter. Do not try to get recognition by pumping out replies and topics all day. Rather, make it a priority to help others create and support more interesting topics, and to make some yourself ONLY WHEN THEY COME TO YOU. General Discussion is not a good place when everyone makes tons of new topics for any idea that pops into their heads.

-D4rk :thumbsup:

Posted Image
{ 2+ years as a Global Moderator Posted Image Retired from RSC }

#32 Dominic

Dominic

Titans for life.

• RS Name:Mass_kill43
  • Clan:The Titans

Posted 10 August 2007 - 5:04 PM

To many topics locked imo ...some topic might not have much discussion but where to put else? Most are very interesting to read but get locked..
-
Posted Image

#33 Atarah

Atarah

A 70s Disco Dancer.

Posted 11 August 2007 - 4:51 AM

If they are not discussions, they will not remain open. This is not a forum where you throw everything not placed elsewhere, this forum still has structure and has rules.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 THOMAS

THOMAS

:::Clan Discussion Addict:::

• RS Name:Mixd Up
  • Clan:RSC

Posted 11 August 2007 - 3:43 PM

I personally have only been back for a couple of days, but the issues I see have been around forever.

1. Topics are repetive and often counter productive. Many things are talked about over and over, and frankly it would be nice to see a bit more creativity. Maybe we have just talked about everything there is to talk about though.

2. The biggest issue I have with GD is that the staff here doesn't actively participate in 95% of the threads. Those of you listed on the CL list should theoretically be the best discussers and posters within this forum, and quite honestly no one seems to have time to do just that. I CL the 5 most active forums and I know how time consuming it can be, but I know I would like to see more discussion with those of you who I look up to as great discussers. Your opinions are valued as individuals. So if you can find the time...please try and post more, and not only in the "best" topics...try to make the lesser ones great by analyzing whatever it is the creator wants you to analyze.

That is my 2 cents.

http://img211.images...asfinal3ii7.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

RSC Staff since early 2007 - Self proclaimed legend of CD

#35 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 11 August 2007 - 7:36 PM

I personally have only been back for a couple of days, but the issues I see have been around forever.

1. Topics are repetive and often counter productive. Many things are talked about over and over, and frankly it would be nice to see a bit more creativity. Maybe we have just talked about everything there is to talk about though.

2. The biggest issue I have with GD is that the staff here doesn't actively participate in 95% of the threads. Those of you listed on the CL list should theoretically be the best discussers and posters within this forum, and quite honestly no one seems to have time to do just that. I CL the 5 most active forums and I know how time consuming it can be, but I know I would like to see more discussion with those of you who I look up to as great discussers. Your opinions are valued as individuals. So if you can find the time...please try and post more, and not only in the "best" topics...try to make the lesser ones great by analyzing whatever it is the creator wants you to analyze.

That is my 2 cents.

1) Yeah we know, we just can't clap our hands and pray people will make good topics. I myself find it hard to make good topics anymore. My last topic died with like 9 posts on it.

2) I have been slowing down I have noticed, I don't think it is because of CLing too, but really being a CL does not mean you have to post in every topic. I myself have tastes in what I want to and what I do not want to post in. I'm looking at you autoer topics. I think I will step up my posting though. I hate when I don't post at least 10 times in a day like I used to. Thanks for the input.

Edited by Manga Scraps, 11 August 2007 - 7:37 PM.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#36 Karll

Karll

from here to eternity

• RS Name:Zerk4a

Posted 12 August 2007 - 4:12 AM

A majority of posters in general discussion do take their time to post well, and they will satisfy other readers. If more rewards were given out in general discussion, most people would imagine that receiving additional rewards will be an incentive, and it would promote them to deliver smarter posts.

I honestly don't have a problem with the topics getting locked in general discussion for a lack of 'discussion', as a majority of the time, it is for good cause. Most times, the initial author did have little to no intention in creating a well though-out discussion.

Repetitiveness however is a major problem that I personally acknowledge in general discussion, as there are a numerous amount of topics all discussing the same matter, yet the wording and lay-out of the topics are different. People seem to post replies in both topics all regarding and acknowledging the same subject.

Edited by Karll, 12 August 2007 - 4:28 AM.

Posted Image

#37 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 13 August 2007 - 8:35 AM

A majority of posters in general discussion do take their time to post well, and they will satisfy other readers. If more rewards were given out in general discussion, most people would imagine that receiving additional rewards will be an incentive, and it would promote them to deliver smarter posts.

I honestly don't have a problem with the topics getting locked in general discussion for a lack of 'discussion', as a majority of the time, it is for good cause. Most times, the initial author did have little to no intention in creating a well though-out discussion.

Repetitiveness however is a major problem that I personally acknowledge in general discussion, as there are a numerous amount of topics all discussing the same matter, yet the wording and lay-out of the topics are different. People seem to post replies in both topics all regarding and acknowledging the same subject.

We tried DOTW but that did not work, in fact it went almost unnoticed (with like 6 votes in the first day.) If you can think of a fail safe way of getting people to move on it, plausible and fits the board well, give us a suggestion. I also remember going to page 3 to find a good discussion that time.

I have been calming down on the locking lately. I still lock lack of discussions but not as much as I used to. I want to see if this will get more people into the GD spirit, doubt it though.

Yeah hopefully we can do something about that. Nothing much we can do besides lock topics though. We know how that makes people feel.

To everyone: At the end of the day it is how YOU post topics and how much you care about your posts and topics here. We cannot just sit here and lecture people who have no motivation to post topics that are insightful and not repetitive.

Edited by Manga Scraps, 13 August 2007 - 8:39 AM.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#38 Zwitter

Zwitter

Posted 13 August 2007 - 5:26 PM

I respect all the CL's of General Discussion..They have to choose between a good topic and bad..Which sometimes can lead to conflict. I love reading the posts..mostly the intellectual posts .. But hey.. They're all good.

Edited by Zwitter, 14 August 2007 - 3:09 AM.

Posted Image
|PM|

#39 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 13 August 2007 - 8:00 PM

I respect all the CL's of General Discussion..They have to choose between a good topic and bad..Which sometimes can lead to conflict. I love reading the posts..mostly the intellectual posts of Pele .. But hey.. They're all good.

Thanks man, its a tough job and I am glad this job is not in vain. I fell in love this board for all the same reasons not so long ago.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#40 Zwitter

Zwitter

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

I respect all the CL's of General Discussion..They have to choose between a good topic and bad..Which sometimes can lead to conflict. I love reading the posts..mostly the intellectual posts of Pele .. But hey.. They're all good.

Thanks man, its a tough job and I am glad this job is not in vain. I fell in love this board for all the same reasons not so long ago.

:) I just think that we could use different topics .. other than "What if Runescape was never here" and stuff like that..
Posted Image
|PM|

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: