We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

What Are Your Thoughts On General Discussion?

• Please log in to reply
1417 replies to this topic

#1 Atarah

Atarah

A 70s Disco Dancer.

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 02 August 2007 - 6:01 PM

This topic has been created to gain your thoughts, feelings, opinions and suggestions on General Discussion.

We, that is, the General Discussion staff, are always more than ready to enhance your enjoyment within this forum, which is why we work to please you, not ourselves. One step to taking this further is this topic. We wish to gain ideas and feelings on what you wish to see in this forum, what you feel works and what you feel doesn't.

Recently, unrest has been notable, and we wish to resolve any problems and/or unhappiness that might be aimed towards this forum. So, if you have any problems with General Discussion, general feelings or suggestions, please post them below, and the staff will answer all queries and ideas to the best of their ability.

Thankyou.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Jaya

Jaya

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 02 August 2007 - 6:45 PM

Well this is a very short question, but what ever happened to discussion of the week/month topics? Why do they keep appearing and disappearing? To be honest if there was a contest it would encourage more people to make valuable posts.

I also see a lot of repetition. I know there isn't a lot moderators can do but one of the problems is I always see the same themed topics, and they are all often very similar to at least one other thread. Sure they all include the same theme of runescape, but I wish there were more original topics instead of various topics discussion especially about scammers and autoers and gold farmers.

I realize runescape is a limited source of discussion, but I just wanted to express myself. I'm not saying something should be changed though, since that would be hard and unfair to ban every topic that is similar to the other. It's a feeling, but I don't see a solution :-\

#3 Ecolab

Ecolab

What it is

• RS Name:Ecolab

Posted 02 August 2007 - 7:14 PM

At first, Discussion of the week was a huge success. It was great to see so many well thought out, and posed discussions being posted. As time progressed, however, it just became a popularity contest, even though some people will not admit to that, they would only vote for people they knew, or have seen before. That wouldn't care about what the discussion was about. They just cared about who posted it. As for it's future, I have no idea, to be honest.

There will always be repetition in General Discussion. There is nothing we can do about people who will read the very few original topics people take the time to make, and create spin-offs of these specific topics, therefore causing other people to make spin-offs off of those spin-offs, and so on and so forth. Not to mention, there usually is bandwagon themed periods that General Discussion goes through, and that is usually why you see so many threads that are similar or almost alike in terms of discussion, and theme.

Hah. You sit there and give input on how bad the General Discussion topics are repetitive, but there is simply one thing you can do. Get up, turn that thing called your brain on, and create an original discussion. Break away from the norm. We are not stopping you. Nothing is stopping you, except for yourself.

Edited by Ecolab, 02 August 2007 - 7:38 PM.

Posted Image
[Retired from Runescape][Senior Member]

#4 Jaya

Jaya

Posted 02 August 2007 - 7:29 PM

Just wanted to point out that as I said in my post, runescape has a limited amount of discussion value, or at least the topics with the most discussion are often spun off. New ones rarely arise, although they do.
However it is not as easy you say. I have thought up of numerous topics for general discussion. I have written and saved at lesat 4 of them on my computer. The only reason I have never posted them is because of the folowing reasons:

-I realized 2 were spin-offs and although the topics were well phrased and posed discussion value, I didn't want to by a hypocrite or make other people with the same feelings as me annoyed :-\

-I almost always PM jagex the discussion first to see what they say. On 2 of my topics they were disclosed by Jagex as irrelevant (not the exact words, but it was the gist of it) or that the matter was being taken care of (for all those topics about aspects in runescape which seemed problemed and discuss various answers).

Now to be honest, the only discussion I seem arise today that are seemingly original are those that are what-if topics. There are an almost unlimited amount of those, but I've never truly cared for them since they are "what-if" topics and do not discuss aspects of runescape, but discuss what you would do if something happened. In my opinion they do pose a lot of discussion value, but never really appear to focus on runescape instead of focusing on what you would do in an imaginary situation. Sure it relates to runescape, but I've never seen them as that relevant, and often discuss reactions instead of ideas.

I also wanted to conclude that I am always trying to think of different discussions, but it's hard to find a good one.

#5 Ecolab

Ecolab

What it is

Posted 02 August 2007 - 7:52 PM

(What I will say in this post, is definitely not to impose that I am angry, or annoyed with you. Take particular words in this post, as constructive criticism. :-D)

In my honest opinion, I think you are trying way too hard. Yes, long paragraphed discussions are definitely good reads, (For those whom have the patience, of course) but from experience, they are barely discussions to reach pass two pages or so. Not because it is necessarily a bad discussion, but because some members here do not enjoy, or like to read such types of discussions. [Note: In no way am I belittling those of you, who do not enjoy long paragraphed discussions!] I believe the case for this, is that people take breaks from real life, school, homework, parents, etc, and come on to Runescape, and in most cases, Runescape Community, to just escape from all of the complications in real life.

They don't want to read long paragraphed discussions, because it is boring to them. I am probably just making inaccurate assumptions, so I will just be quiet on that portion.

Now, sending your discussions to Jagex, to be honest, really isn't a good idea. Their job is to run Runescape, and it is pointless to "Run your discussions by them first, before posting." Discussions should come from the heart, not be nit-pick, loop-less topics. Nobodies topics can, nor will ever be perfect. That is what General Discussion is all about though. You have to defend your opinion, and always, your topics, and replies, will be flawed. You must not go by what some big wig company says, but what your own heart says.

Stop thinking like a psychologist. (To be frank) You are just a kid, heck we all are just kids. We shouldn't be bent on making college level topics, or posts. My advice to you, is to just post from the heart like I said before.
Posted Image

#6 Jaya

Jaya

Posted 02 August 2007 - 7:57 PM

Constructive criticism taken :-D I think you make a great point that asking Jagex isn't necassery, and that we should just be here to have fun :wub: I'll take your words into consideration the next time I make a topic.

#7 Pele

Pele

Hello

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • Clan:Republican

Posted 02 August 2007 - 9:43 PM

I like the more activity that comes here. It's great too see new topics springing up. The problem is a lot of them are kinda pointless or "What if's" I'll link a few:

http://www.zybez.net...howtopic=879221
http://www.zybez.net...howtopic=876451
http://www.zybez.net...howtopic=876697
http://www.zybez.net...howtopic=847256

The first is just kinda pointless and the last 3 all are based on What if this happened. Well What if Magic was taken away from Runescape, there's lots of things that can be taken away besides prayer.

The other thing I know not many of us can control, but the fact that I see a lot of one-liners or quick responses for the topics like "What if Runescape Closed" and "If you could've gotten a partyhat set but didn't" Stuff shows up on those like "I would bang my head on the wall" "/wrist". Is that really adding to the discussion, no and it's pointless. I know the GD CL's can't really do anything about it. But if the responses were more indepth and some thought put into it that would probably make GD a better forum.

Posted Image

#8 Ecolab

Ecolab

What it is

Posted 02 August 2007 - 9:55 PM

I will leave those four topics for Atarah, Heelflip, or Casey to review. I still have had mixed orders on what do with "What If" topics, so like I said, I will leave it up to them. In my honest opinion, I think you are right. What if topics hardly spark any discussion, because they would never happen, if they would never happen, how can anyone really have any valid discussion to present?

I, and the rest of the GD staff, try our hardest to delete replies which do not contain any sort of opinion, or is complete spam. I am going to step it up more, CLing wise, but I mean, like most of the staff, I have a life outside of here. (6 hour band rehearsals + Drumline rehearsals) So, I try to CL whenever I can. I can not account for the others however.

We are really trying to improve General Discussion. We need your help too though! If you see any pointless replies, report it! Don't comment onto it. That just makes the quote towers worse. Report it, and it shall be dealt with! (Note to Pele: I am not singling you out. This is for everyone that actively posts, or at leasts reads GD)
Posted Image

#9 Arno

Arno

Oh hi

• Clan:Druidz

Posted 03 August 2007 - 1:29 AM

GD is not the problem, the posters are. We've been slacking and we've been posting less good topics. A lot of the old posters have either retired, shifted interests or just lost appetite. The board hasn't changed, it's still the same General Discussion, it's our interests that need changing.

You could bring DOTW back for instance, that was a nice asset to the whole scene.

-[Head of the CMP]-

-[Retired since 2012]-
-[Voted Poster of 2009]-
-[Voted Best Debater of 2010]-

-[Ex-Pictures | GFX | General Discussion Leader]-

#10 HVG

HVG

its HVG yo

Posted 03 August 2007 - 1:35 AM

Well, GD is a great place from what I see, well maintained. I like the lengthy discussions and enjoy reading people's views and theories on current and old matters of Runescape. It's rules are basic, however understandable. However, when staff use the reason: 'this topic doesn't have enough discussion' for closing a topic I do feel it to be a bit vague. Sometimes it's quite obvious why it is not a discussion, other times I feel staff should really elaborate.

Global Moderator, feel free to PM any other problems.
Alternatively, visit our Global Rules and the RSC help and rules sections.

#11 Dudley

Dudley

.::.::.:*:.::.::.

• RS Name::emaN SR
  • Clan::lanC

Posted 03 August 2007 - 3:01 AM

I lost interest in GD for many reasons, mostly due to the fact I hold immature grudges. The reasons actually related to the forum though are complicated. Here's a few:

Obviously we can't have every user making perfect posts, but the general consensus is to just post for post count and fame, and neither of those work. We seem to have this idea that one liners work well, or comments which have nothing at all to do with the topic in question, or we ramble on for three pages about God knows what in the hope of looking great with long posting. The amount of posters is few, and the amount of spam is huge. Maybe because it's the first forum on RSC, or because the rules are somewhat vague, but it seems to be treated as a Runescape version of Off Topic. That's not really anyones fault I suppose, it's just how the forum is currently perceived.

Rules are, and always were, vague. Yes, you don't want to put a banned discussion list back. Why? I don't think it can be that worse than it is now, so why not stick back a list of stuff we really don't need to talk about. There's six billion topics about addiction, and skill capes, and the latest update, and what if _____ happened. There even seems to be trends such as Runescape: ____ or ____? Rules should state what the aim of GD is, what is expected and then give the guidelines. People have no idea what GD really is, which is of course a discussion forum. Discussion is not posting opinions on certain aspects of the game and then flaming the hell out of everyone who disagrees, it's about reaching an agreed decision with cleverly worded posts designed to be analyzed and agreed or disagreed upon. That's discussion, not telling people their skillcape is worthless and attention seeking and then having essays about why the other guy is moronic, then a huge war breaking off.

Moderation and all that was discussed in the other topic. I'm not going to tell you guys what to do. It should be stressed however, to the public, that poor posting should be reported. People who just knock off random one liners in an attempt to get, as Arno would say, lulz, need to be reported to make the moderation easier. I don't know how to get people to report more, except ratings and promotions as usual. It's about efficiency, and as we did before with the total removal of anything that we didn't like, it worked. People complained to start with, but eventually it was understood that this is a place of higher posting. It's a balance between activity and insanity. Open the floodgates and let everyone splash in and cause a flood of pure water with lots of debris, or build a dam and only let the pure water through. We only want the pure posting, not the debris, it's just how wide we want this dam to be.

DOTM is a waste of time, discussions take a few days to pass through normally, and for a month it's wholly forgotten and wasted. DOTW worked well when it was active the first time around, and looking at the winners, they've gone far. Lvpersons25, Manga Scraps and Question stand out, as they went from members with little discussions and sparks of talent, to beacons of brilliance, as Semes and CLs. Obviously DOTW didn't make them that, but GD made that with the power of DOTW to back them up. Even W13 won once or twice, everyone got involved and it did well. Nowadays everyone seems to have left, no staff use the place and nobody really seems to have the interest in making the place great anymore. It's not that there's less to talk about, there's less to talk to. It needs a magnet, something to pull in the users and keep them, making GD what it was when I joined a year ago.

I loved that time, but the old greats say even that was poor, if it can return to that, or back to the greats era, it would make a whole lot of people very happy. One of them being me.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2667/surviveanotherwintertt1.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Dudley; Retired Zybez Manager; Ex Seme; Ex CL of lots of things; Barely active due to hectic life;
Message me for owt; I can still give vague advice;

Thanks SP for the tag;

If the person acts like Michael Jackson, then he's an immature 12 year old :/.

#12 Dpdr

Dpdr

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Dpdr

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

Its good IMO. Lots of topics, good variaty. I cant think how it could be improved :)
Posted Image

#13 StephieSama

StephieSama

intenet love machine

• RS Name:StephieSama

Posted 03 August 2007 - 2:51 PM

The one thing I've noticed about GD is that people seem so desperate to start a "good" discussion, that they're just pulling things out of their rear ends.

The topics are something that I would never in a hundred years think of discussing. Things like "Which party hat secretly has the best range bonus?"
Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you know the kind of topic I mean. Or maybe you don't.
(I could just be delusional. )

But either way, I believe it's not so much the board's fault as it is the user's grasping at straws in order to become well known on the forums.

#14 period_blood

period_blood

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >

Posted 03 August 2007 - 4:36 PM

The reason why I finally left RSC in the first place is because of the decline of General Discussion. There's no denying it used to be better, though I'm not pretending it was ever a haven of paradise. There have always been pointless topics, spammy posts and back-biting and sniping that's painful to read. But somehow those things could be ignored...it's only recently where these things have become the standard practice. I don't know what went wrong, but something did.

GD is one of the most visited forums and it's also got great potential. It's relatively open and broad ranging, and there's a full range of topics that can be talked about. This is good in theory but the problem with opening the gates wide (to build on JDud's illustration) is that the sewage trickles through. And it usually floats to the top. No matter what topic you're posting in, daring to give a controversial opinion, or tackling the topic from an original angle, will usually result in the original poster or another person to flame you, call your post useless or tell you off for over-analysing the discussion. There's little room for creativity in GD, and for me at least, it's stifling.

What GD needs is a kick up the backside. Maybe a wipe, or a few new rules. Since I haven't been active for over a month, I'm in no position to evaluate the standard of moderating, but as far as I can tell, that's not the problem. GD needs to tighten up a little bit, just a little. Filter off the weekly whats your favourite outfit or what if you had a party hat set threads, and encourage people to create some slightly off the wall but relevant and interesting threads; approaching familiar issues from a different angle. As a former GD poster, I found that it's the controversial threads that are often among the most popular. If people had a real reason to post (other than for raising their post count,) they would be more likely to put a bit of effort into them.

There's no way GD can ever be made 100% spam free, and there's no way GD will ever be free of repetitive topics. After all, there's only so much you can talk about on the subject of RuneScape. Off Topic has more varied threads because it's not limited in the same way. GD is, but that doesn't mean it can't improve. It can, and it needs to. I want to return to GD but it's time for a change in the way GD works.

Edited by Lion Soup, 03 August 2007 - 4:39 PM.

#15 Papertank487

Papertank487

Posted 03 August 2007 - 6:53 PM

When I first joined here I posted multiple times in GD everyday. I still try to, but I find that the current topics don't interest me as much. Maybe it's the repititon. I'm sure I see at least one gold farmers topic, pking honor topic, jagex hating topic, what would you do with 100m topic, respect topic, autoers topic, and pest control topic every week. Mind you, they may have different titles and the words may be changed around, but it's basically the same thing, filled the same points and arguements. Of course, every now and then there is a new topic, but it isn't enough to keep up the quality of the whole board. However, this is somewhat inevitable. There is only so much you can discuss about Runescape. The actual quality of the posts has gone down a little, but that is not the problem.
If this signature were any sexier, just reading it would make your head explode.

#16 Doomy

Doomy

AHMEHGAWD a Amnesia!

• RS Name:Dooms_Potato

Posted 04 August 2007 - 2:05 AM

I like it, but quite often I come here and theres idiotic comments everywhere, overall I think there are lots of meaningful discussions going on.

#17 coca1cola

coca1cola

ur face

Posted 04 August 2007 - 2:58 AM

no sub forums...just keep it one large discussion

#18 thedevil784

thedevil784

lol

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:thedevil784
  • Clan:Adelais

Posted 05 August 2007 - 7:08 AM

I like the General Discussion forum.
It's good to be able to have conversations with other people and post your views on everyday issues of Runescape.
It also helps people with many uncertainties about the game.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7965/adelaiseosgc7my4.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Adelais |

#19 T_I_A

T_I_A

There Is A Hero Among Us

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Well, GD is general :D

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5139/tiahaumi4.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#20 Max Sweden

Max Sweden

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Max Sweden

Posted 05 August 2007 - 4:49 PM

Nothing wrong with the forum, only thing I miss is the DOTW.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: