We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Running

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 W13

W13

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:W13
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybez

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:07 PM

So about three years ago I started running. It was 1 km at first and even that I couldn't do entirely without a couple of embarrassing pauses. The pace was all over the place: sprinting for 15 seconds and then panting and walking for a minute etc. Sometimes I'd run three times a week, and then not run for a couple months. 

But recently (as of this year), I've been doing my runs regularly: 3 times a week, about 5 km to 10 km depending on my mood, with a pace of about 6-something. I don't push myself hard for better times -- I think I can pull a 5km at a sub-6 pace without a problem... but sub-5 is gonna push me to the edge and I'd probably fail. I'm doing the runs to stay moderately healthy, not to win races. Although I do join the occasional 5k or 10k run. (I think I'll be avoiding 5k runs because they tend to be filled with people just strolling and there's never any space for me to run).

Anyways, I wanna mention that my life has been better thanks to my runs:

- Better sleep.

- Better stamina (in bed) :lol:

- Feeling less tired during the day. (I do my runs at night around 10 pm to avoid traffic, the sun, and so that I can shower and sleep right afterwards)

- Good stress relief. (my automatic response to stress now is an urge to run, which cures the aforementioned stress).

- Better digestion and bowel movements.

- Feeling more healthy generally.

- Feeling urges to do more outdoor activities. ("let's go hiking!")

Of course, my body hasn't gotten any muscular or whatever. I'm not doing my runs for looks anyways. If I wanted to look more muscular, I'd be lifting weights. 

So ya... I'd recommend it. Track your runs because you're a gamer and you care about points and achievements and stuff :lol: 

#2 Gintoki

Gintoki

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Bentoki
  • Clan:Afrobros
  • Team:zchat

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

I started doing the same thing about a year ago, between cycling and running it's good fun, bought a fitbit and tracked my progress ect. Unfortunately during the spring if I do run, my required pace needs to be a little faster because I'm running from magpies so I can't really do it for about 3 months every year, but it's good fun.

xD4B8ER.png

#3 Jack

Jack

★★★★★

Posted 11 September 2018 - 2:36 PM

Started at Uni. The city I studied in was fantastic as it was hilly and on the seafront so you had different challenges with amazing views. In the best weather I almost felt inspired to kick on and go faster and harder on my runs. Where I'm at now just isn't the same. Some would love it but running on treadmills or around rural areas doesn't quite do it for me.
LAYu8mJ.png MQeijsF.png
Cj11o9Y.gif

#4 Jorrit

Jorrit

☆☆☆☆☆

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Team:#chef-hat

Posted 11 September 2018 - 6:58 PM

Second reason seems like a booty call, no doubt that's why Null's on topic.

3kN5CDS.png

BxoUqXq.png

"Sometimes you gotta go back, sometimes you gotta go oldskool in order to go forward. Now its time to ask ourselves,

if we are going to stand the **** up, pick that rock up and trow it at some mother****ers face or cry like little girls because we hurt our pinky"

- Bishinmo

q4ytDyh.png

#5 W13

W13

Posted 12 September 2018 - 7:54 AM

Second reason seems like a booty call, no doubt that's why Null's on topic.

If you're making "happy time" with your partner and switching positions because you guys keep getting exhausted, then it's time to up your physical training outside the bedroom.

#6 Yoto32

Yoto32

Any tree can drop an apple: I'll drop the freakin' moon.

• Rating: < -5 | 7 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Yoto
  • Clan:Dark Slayers

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

I played kickball last Saturday and I'm still a little sore. God damn do I need some physical activity.

There She Is, Scott Pilgrim, Homestuck
3WvlE6O.png
PH6vxkQ.png
giphy.gif
Senior Moderator | Proud Ex-Leader of Aftermath
New Boards

#7 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:ToeJam

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

With my new job which requires some travelling during working hours, I've been cycling rather than using a car or the bus. Lost about 1 stone and a quarter since June... and am feeling more energetic for it.

bOT8c.png

3t0hHkC.png

#8 W13

W13

Posted 15 September 2018 - 6:00 PM

With my new job which requires some travelling during working hours, I've been cycling rather than using a car or the bus. Lost about 1 stone and a quarter since June... and am feeling more energetic for it.

Stone? Did you just casually use some archaic, endemic unit of mass, assuming the rest of the world also speaks Stonehenge?

#9 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• RS Name:ToeJam

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

Stone? Did you just casually use some archaic, endemic unit of mass, assuming the rest of the world also speaks Stonehenge?

YES I DID!

Heh, in the UK, pounds and kilograms are both used... so it all depends on what you're happier with. I think that's the first time you've quoted me, in shock and on the penultimate day!

Spoiler

Edited by ToeJam, 16 September 2018 - 11:36 AM.

bOT8c.png

3t0hHkC.png

#10 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:31 PM

It's always good to exercise. Take the stairs, go for an extra walk during lunch time or walk to the supermarket for a small visit. Honestly love walking.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#11 Lilac

Lilac

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 16 September 2018 - 4:44 PM

I started running track and cross country when I was in middle school (and was awful when I started) and have kept up with it ever since. I'm currently training for a half marathon race that's in October. My goal is to break 75 minutes. I was really close (3 seconds off) back in 2010 when I was 19. After that, I mostly shifted my focus towards the full marathon, which was a lot harder for me and I was never really great at it. I did an interval workout of 7x1600m at an average of just under 5:24 on Friday, so I think I'm in decent shape. I'm gonna do a 20 mile long run today actually, really wish it weren't so hot outside.

Marathon WR was also shattered today!!

Edited by Lilac, 16 September 2018 - 5:00 PM.

#12 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

• RS Name:Mew Lp
  • Clan:Cu Clux
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 16 September 2018 - 7:58 PM

There was a girl I used to work with that was obsessed with running, and because she was the definition of stunning all of us guys were similarly obsessed with her. We got on very, VERY, well - much to the others' disgust and awe - and I remember her trying to repeatedly convince me to come on runs with her. 

I kept turning her down saying I hated it and would rather take my chances and fight if it came to it. 

My god I'm stupid. Still haven't been on any kind of run because I'm just that ashamed of myself. 

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: