Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-11-30 at 21:37. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Exit post: The End.

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 W13

W13

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:W13
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybez

Posted 14 August 2018 - 1:38 AM

POPULAR

@[email protected] Hey hey!

Dear Friends,

The day is finally here when we must close this forum and say goodbye.

Back in 2001, when the Internet was the wild-wild-west where anybody could do anything and didn't have to conform to a template, belong to a conglomerate, or be profit-driven, RuneScape took its first steps as a unique web-based game. It was not the first web-based game but it was obvious from the first moment I played it that it was... a game changer. It had depth and scale never before seen, massively multiplayer and persistent - like a parallel universe, run fast and looked great, and even back then, between Lumbridge and Varrock, you could spend countless hours skilling, chatting, and doing quests. I checked the RuneScape.com website: There were no tutorials or guides. I emailed the owner (Andrew Gower) demanding he improve his website with some guides. He replied saying he was too busy to do that, and instead, he asked me to write some stuff that he'd then put on the RuneScape.com website. I had kept a Notepad file open while playing RuneScape - just to assist myself (e.g. "2 iron + 1 coal = 1 steel bar"). I expanded it, cleaned it up, and sent it back to Andrew. He changed his mind and decided he'd write the tutorials himself. Instead of throwing my RuneScape help document out, I put it online as a sub-section on my website. I called it "RuneScape Help" and had no expectations other than that it may come in handy to a handful of players like myself. The internet forum concept wasn't new and was quite well established on the Internet. I attached a forum to the "RuneScape Help" website a few months later and that was the birth of this very community. It exploded in numbers and for many years after that it felt like the growth was unstoppable.

Now, 17 years later, we find ourselves in a changed world. The Internet is not "the Internet" anymore. It is just an app on our phones now. People idle on social networks and various gamer-specific social apps. RuneScape itself has either conformed to or inspired industry-wide standards, making it easier to understand, and incorporated enough newbie-assistance into the game that the requirement for "help" sites or forums has decreased substantially. Large, resourceful Wiki sites and Reddits are like the Walmarts that have totally eclipsed mom-&-pop sites like Zybez. RuneScape's wave of popularity and technological edge has also passed. It is no longer the superpower it used to be in the games arena. With plummeting player numbers, the crumbs of traffic falling off the RuneScape table that Zybez relied on has also dwindled to almost nothing. (Insert picture of starving dog here).

It has been a great run. I was a 14-year-old kid when I made the RuneScape Help website. I spent the most significant and defining years of my life right here. RuneScape was my drug, my religion, my teacher, my social life, my escape, and my purpose. I met the most remarkable people playing RuneScape and learned so much by interacting with them here on this community. An immigrant kid from Calgary, Canada (me!) had a chance to login and transform into an international celebrity ("omg, are you the real W13?") every evening thanks to this community. 

I may have put it online, owned it, and maintained the server, but I hesitate to take even a 1% claim at what made this community great. Many people have passed through here and left their marks, not just in the form of posts, but also on all of us. It isn't easy saying goodbye, but it has been a long time coming. None of us are surprised. If anything, we should be surprised that it lasted this long. So, thank you for making this forum a community, and thank you for taking part in this journey. I hope you enjoyed it, benefited from it, and made some new friends along the way.

I cannot thank and admire the moderators enough - the people who I always refer to as the "staff" here. I have never seen this much dedication and responsibility anywhere else (people care less about their own children sometimes) - not just the current active staff but all the staff who have worked tirelessly to maintain the delicate balance of keeping this community civil and clean while keeping it fun, free, and prosperous over all these years. 

Now, it makes no sense for the current owners of this forum to keep it online. Leaving it online or starting a second forum is futile because it is clearly headed towards zero activity - and forums aren't fun with low activity. So, it has been decided to close Zybez. It won't disappear immediately: it will be set to read-only mode starting September 17th. And eventually, it will disappear silently into the void, with no disk of returning.

What lives on: 

Discord: Zybez

Zybez's clan: ZybezNet

Friendchat: zchat

OSRS Zybez: 2007RsHelp.com

I just want to thank you all for being a part of this 17 year journey.

It was beautiful.

- W13

Osvkvxv.png

Edit:

Due to lots of people contacting me and asking for an alternative forum website after Zybez closes, I've responded with putting a fresh forum online here:

RuneScape Community : https://runescapecommunity.com

Again, this is no attempt at "saving" Zybez forums. And it's no attempt at pretending the forum model isn't long dead. :-D But if you feel like you prefer classic forums (to things like Discord and Reddit), then here's an option. ;-)

#2 Wee Man

Wee Man

Чистой ненависти номер один

Posted 15 August 2018 - 5:30 PM

It was a good run. Come find us in discord: https://discord.gg/yPTAwAP

Here's a screeny from 2014:

3Z9Sj9r.png

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

#3 The Corf

The Corf

The Corf has been quintupled!

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:The Corf
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 15 August 2018 - 5:35 PM

It has been real y'all, but it had to happen, hopefully you will join in on the banter in the discord <3

#4 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 15 August 2018 - 5:35 PM

na9JjYY.png

Version for your signature.

2nrn3g9.png

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2nrn3g9.png[/IMG]

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#5 Hemlock

Hemlock

great is the weapon that cuts on its own.

• RS Name:lHemlock
  • Clan:Jewish Mafia

Posted 15 August 2018 - 5:44 PM

My love for this place is insurmountable. I have such dear and gentle love for all the people that I have spoken to, debated with, fought against, or genuinely assisted though out all these many years.

I have nothing left but thankfulness for everyone who ever posted here.

McRjpxk.gif

2Owir.png

EXs5bj0.png

2018 most respected/intelligent

rsc honored member, player moderator and completionist cape.
when i was king, you would have been the first against the wall.

buy me a castle or pass me a bong, give me glenlivet i'll sing you this song

open another big box of cheap wine, if you take the low road then i'll take the high

#6 Zpoon

Zpoon

hey

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:ZPUN

Posted 15 August 2018 - 5:58 PM

This place was my home away from home during my teen years. A definite RuneScape institution. Very sad to see it leaving.
Those who talk don't know. And those who know don't talk.
Posted Image
http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape

#7 Macleran

Macleran

Max Tank

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Asc
  • Clan:Ascension
  • Team:JaJa

Posted 15 August 2018 - 5:59 PM

=[

Posted Image

#8 Darkruler633

Darkruler633

Forsaken Leader

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Darkruler633
  • Clan:Forsaken

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:03 PM

RIP, was a good run over all these years. Clan discussion/fights used to be lit

Leader of Forsaken - Community clan

TEf2RQa.png

Bas#9128 on Discord | Forsakenclan.com | #Forsaken

#9 Torreoria

Torreoria

UNC Official

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:05 PM

I thought I probably spent too much time on this site with 172 days. Then I looked at WM's time online at 695.

I will miss this place.

#10 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:12 PM

Where to begin honestly?

This place holds many memories. Good, bad, and everything in between. It gave me many opportunities to grow as an individual, to meet many different people. There's not much more I can say, really. 

I'm still around. Life got busy, but there's always a way to reach me should people wish to catch up. Discord, in particular, where most of my community interactions happen now. 

#11 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:13 PM

Ive been playing Runescape since late 2008 and started my time on zybez once i can say I got "good" at the game and its been a part of my clanning career ever since. As much hate as the clan world gives zybez we all know it was a great platform for runescape in many different ways throughout the years and noone can deny that. Although I just got Senior Member & haven't spoke with many of you on a personal level, just the simple fact that this community has been so much help throughout the years makes it sickening to see it go. I'll definitely still be around on the discord and on these forums until further notice. Thanks for all the memories everyone.

PS: I miss these http://forums.zybez....rview-on-zybez/

#12 Bow

Bow

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:15 PM

Time Online 229d 2h 15m 23s  :XD:  ... sums it up over the last 12 years.

Since first becoming a staff member back in 07 with one of my better friends over this game all the way until now there's always been something about Zybez that I wanted to be a part of.  So many good debates, so many arguments, so many rivals, and all of it was what drove my interest for the longest time.  My interest and passion with clans was without a doubt influenced by these forums and the clans that used them over the years, no question.  Thanks to those that used these boards along with all of the clans that decided to as well.  

All things must come to an end and so be it now. 

Senior Moderator for Zybez Forums

Leader of RuneScape Dinasty

RSD - Joined: 03-10-06; Closed: 01-23-13 ]

#13 imk

imk

• RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Divine Forces

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:19 PM

Was an inevitable end, unfortunately. I spent way too much time on here before OSRS came out, but had some good memories. Au revoir, Zybez. 

#14 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:27 PM

It's hard to say what Zybez meant to myself because it meant so much. I met some very good friends here, and invested what time I could over the years to give back to our little community. There will definitely be a void in my life when I can't waste time cruising through these forums. However I fully intend to lay zybez to rest, this site could never be duplicated. I hope to see as many people as I can around our discord and friends chat.

Please feel free to reach out in any of those mediums if you want to keep in touch.

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#15 Ace

Ace

• Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:28 PM

The eras this site has thrived in have long since ended.It's a bit surreal because seeing this shut down means also a somewhat forced acknowledgement that the times have really flown by and that things are not as they once were.

It's been good, I'm glad to have had my chance to be a small part of the lower end of staff at one time, and glad to have even been here at all. 

#16 Whalemuffin

Whalemuffin

Still I Rise

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:28 PM

Was a good run m8s,thank you to the zybez staff for running these forums. Without Clan Discussion and PKing sections I don't think a young me would've been exposed to the clan community and PKing at the level I was. So I definitely owe zybez for being a factor for some of the great friends I've made on my time on RS.

N7BONGF.png

#17 Cheaky

Cheaky

• RS Name:Im
  • Clan:Higher Force

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:31 PM

Was a good run boys.

#18 Trainer Red

Trainer Red

The Incorruptible Future Moderator of Clan Discussion/Fights

• Team:Fat Tony

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:33 PM

Kingthegreat Reaped Zybez....

Holder of Longest F2P Geared Fight Record [Winner] 

Holder of Longest P2P Rag Fight Record [Winner]

4000+ Positive Rating Club on Runescape Community

Holder of most swipped on tinder 2009. 2010. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015, 2017

Greatest bolt ragger the clan world has ever seen
Best Canadian scaper 2008-2017

Purchased Falador Castle and Bridge 2018 

#19 Jcelli

Jcelli

• RS Name:Jcell

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:34 PM

The time flew by. Will miss the forums a lot. Thanks for all the help in the early game 10 years ago zybez.

Posted Image

#20 RsnWars

RsnWars

• Clan:Revenant

Posted 15 August 2018 - 6:35 PM

CT cleared lmfao

8ddcafeca4a7c9e4a1dd05a184288556.gif

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: