We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Trouble holding a job

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheMacNerd

TheMacNerd

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

As the title explains I'm currently having trouble holding a job. So here's where this started: I was working at my local community college as a federal work study/student employee. I got into a political debate with some rabid liberals on facebook, they called for my head to get me fired. They got my head and I was let go.

Then within 2 weeks I started working as a dishwasher at one of the local country clubs (a step back) and I quit there because of Uber costs and I wasnt getting enough hours.

After I quit there I got a job at taco bell. I wasnt a good fit and within 3 weeks I was let go (wasnt a good fit). Then while searching for technology jobs on the side I got hired for a week as a dishwasher at a restaurant walking distance from my house. I worked there for 1 week as a dishwasher and then I never heard back. I'm trying to get a most likely salaried IT position that I'm a good fit for but right now I'm having trouble holding/keeping a job. what am I doing wrong that's preventing me from holding a job?

#2 OSRS Joseph

OSRS Joseph

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Sovereign

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

Do you have a degree?

bAQwEiS.gif

#3 Pker Nick Pk

Pker Nick Pk

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Wales
  • Clan:Vanguard
  • Team:Iron

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Offer to volunteer somewhere for a month, get some solid experience then ask them if you are the right fit to take on the role.

IT is a very competitive field.

Pker Nick Pk
Posted Image
Rip DDB 2003-2008

#4 TheMacNerd

TheMacNerd

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

No I dont have a degree. College has gotten too unaffordable and I cant afford to take out loans either.

#5 Zq50

Zq50

♕ Zq50 ♕

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Zq50
  • Clan:Exodus
  • Team:Silent Ember

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

I agree with volunteering for a short period of time. There has to be a reason you weren't a good fit for any of those jobs?

Posted Image

#6 Tova

Tova

Respect

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

Look within thy self .

joz1Vos.gif

Cutthroat  Forums || Discord

#7 D96

D96

dee nine sex

Posted 10 July 2018 - 1:19 PM

The best thing to work with is to work with something you like, so maybe you just didn't find that out yet? Working with something you don't like/aren't interested in will almost always result in bad results for yourself and for the company, I'd say look for something that you feel like doing.

Edited by D96, 10 July 2018 - 1:20 PM.

0nFQYiF.gif

2qudLuM.gif

#8 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 10 July 2018 - 1:27 PM

. So here's where this started: I was working at my local community college as a federal work study/student employee. I got into a political debate with some rabid liberals on facebook, they called for my head to get me fired. They got my head and I was let go.

Here's some free advice: only share with facebook what you want to others to know. No need to list your job on Facebook.

Aside from that, did you ask for advice on the job? Surely there is always room for improvement.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#9 xMike

xMike

Never Stop Smiling

Posted 10 July 2018 - 1:48 PM

Sometimes you gata play ball. I know it can be hard to wrap around but you don't always have to be right. A lot of times when management is looking at their staff it isn't who is most qualified. Personallity and how one blends with the team is important. They less they habe to worry about an employee, the more likely they will stress that person's shortcomings. Starting arguements at work never is a good thing. It can be much easier to keep yourself cool and just do the job. Sometimes the victory isn't worth the battle.
(Y)
Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Lavigne

Lavigne

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Wonder Woman
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 10 July 2018 - 4:07 PM

Laziness/you keep leaving. I used to get a train to work every day in central London, 2 hours, I got mates now that cycle about an hour to work because money matters. You could be waiting a long time for an IT job, especially without good exp.

KrPODlD.png

xuLlzzs.png

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllll

#11 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 12 July 2018 - 6:13 PM

Some tips for you.

• Your Facebook represents YOU. Treat it that way. Don't put anything on there you don't want others to see and employers WILL check.
  • Find a job you are half interested in. Full interested in kills the hobby, and no interest makes the job no fun. I worked in a toy store because I had a connection with toys but was not a toy hobbyist.
  • If you are in a college setting NETWORK network network network! The best jobs ever some from a guy who knows a guy you probably have not yet met.
  • Food-service sucks, try retail, It's unskilled and you can ladder climb to a salaried manager. They make nice money. I choose back of house over cashier every time.
  • Stay with your job. It's hard to motivate yourself, but you will only succeed if you are willing to learn. It does not mean stay with a soul sucking job but don't flake out on a job you may not fully understand.
  • Always keep looking. A person not looking for better jobs constantly is a fool.
  • There is no company loyalty in unskilled work, but you can make yourself hard to replace. be that guy.
  • Find a place with supportive managers and coworkers. I have stayed at jobs for the people, and people help you get though the worst parts of a job.

I wish you luck.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#12 TheMacNerd

TheMacNerd

Posted 27 July 2018 - 7:35 PM

It makes a lot of sense that these politically correct rabid liberals are starting to do professional backlash against republicans/conservatives. I'm an actual conservative/republican. I'll keep my political stances off of facebook from now on.

#13 Yoto32

Yoto32

Any tree can drop an apple: I'll drop the freakin' moon.

• Rating: < -5 | 7 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Yoto
  • Clan:Dark Slayers

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

It makes a lot of sense that these politically correct rabid liberals are starting to do professional backlash against republicans/conservatives. I'm an actual conservative/republican. I'll keep my political stances off of facebook from now on.

It also depends on how you express your political opinions. I'm a pretty PC-minded rabid liberal working in a fairly conservative office, but if I got into constant political arguments with my coworkers, I would be a difficult person to work with and would rightfully be fired for creating a hostile workplace. Talking politics in the office is a sensitive topic no matter what your beliefs are.

There She Is, Scott Pilgrim, Homestuck
3WvlE6O.png
PH6vxkQ.png
giphy.gif
Senior Moderator | Proud Ex-Leader of Aftermath
New Boards

#14 Ninjasteak

Ninjasteak

ʕ༼◕ ౪ ◕✿༽ʔ

Posted 13 August 2018 - 4:44 PM

• Develop a working relationship with those around you, but remember to keep work and personal lives separate. Never burn bridges.
  • Do your work, and do it well. Employers like those who take initiative in the context of their position.
  • Ask questions when you're unsure of anything, do not assume.
  • Stick to your word and be accountable.

Your history of job hopping may be detrimental in interviews. In general, someone who has sustained experience in one position is favored over another who held multiple jobs within a short period of time. This probably doesn't play a large role since you don't have a degree. In addition, like others said, volunteering with passion helps you build new connections and can get you far.

ej7Gt3j.png?1J6DOj1k.png?17UHJ5hb.png?1 AGLrJYT.png?1ej7Gt3j.png?1

Achievements, Questions, & Competition Staff • Zchat Team • ZybezNet Team Leader

Global Moderator

kRV29fz.png

#15 W13

W13

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:W13
  • Clan:Zybez

Posted 14 August 2018 - 4:35 AM

I gotta agree with Manga. The worst time to start looking for a job is when you're in desperate need of one. Your desperation comes across during networking/interviews no matter how hard you try to conceal it. So, the trick is to always be looking, weaving your network, and staying in touch. I have seen people get hired to coveted positions after just a 60 second conversation and that isn't an isolated incident. Employers seem to trust referrals (even not very qualified ones) from current employees more than one of the resumes they get via email from random (but qualified) people.

Sadly, trying to find jobs online is like firing off your resume into a blackhole. You won't get anything back (not even Hawking radiation), unless your field (:lol:) has high demand / low supply, your education and work experience is juicy, and lady-luck is on your side.

Also, I'd recommend you work in a small to medium-sized start-up at least once in your career. It isn't for everybody but it has the potential to give your career a quick upwards boost, a higher salary, a unique chance to make decisions, inspiration from working closely with powerful/successful/driven people, and a chance to learn. You can find positions listed on https://angel.co or Y-Combinator (specially if you're a software dev).

#16 bigboi20051

bigboi20051

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >

Posted 16 August 2018 - 5:02 PM

Best thing to do before getting a job is to do due-diligence,

You might be asking yourself, what is due-diligence?

It's one of the most important task you can implement in your job search, getting to know the employment.

Before even applying to the job, seek out the current employees so you can touch base with them, asking them about the culture of the job, do they live in the area, how far do they travel, what are the costs of getting to work. What sort of food do they eat? 

Getting to know your employment and the people you will be collaborating with to create experiences matters more than you might think. 

Posted Image

Ask not what your country [clan] can do for you, but what you can do for your country [clan].

-John F. Kennedy

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: