We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

1-800-273-8255

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 alicer

alicer

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:CT Alice
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Cutthroat

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

1. Have you had someone in your clan die, and how did it happen and what do you think about it?

Never had a current member die, i believe there was an ex-ASC member that passed away however.

2. What do you feel about suicide? and is this clanworld a place for people who suffer from depression?

People that put a lot of time into a game like Runescape may use it as an escape from depression or real life struggles, they use it as a way out of a temporary problem. I think it's very serious and i think people should be more willing to offer help however, this is a game and has to be treated as such, not a counselling service, people that are suffering should be given help to reach a service they find effective, be that a doctors or 1 of those suicide hotlines.

3. What can we do as a member of a clan to make clanning a safe environment for everyone?

Nothing. Clans within each other can support individuals that are going through a hard time but other clans don't care (rightly so). One thing the clan world did do is generally agree to keep everything in game and to stop doxing, and except for a few scenarios that has kept and is also the most we can ask from the clan world.

#22 Teucrates

Teucrates

The Race is long and hard and, in the end, is only with yourself

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Teucrates
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:The Titans

Posted 26 May 2018 - 1:55 PM

On a happier note, as far as a positive ending can be with regards to this topic:  I once had a suicidal member of a small clan I led back in the day privately reach out to me for help.  I quickly put together a small and secretive team of mature adults in the clan I and this person trusted whose goal would be to give support and chat with them as well as keep a general eye on them when I couldn't be online.  Our second and more important goal was to convince this person to seek professional help and facilitate the initial appointment as we quickly learned the issues this person had were well beyond what we were equipped to handle.  Thirdly we continued to be supportive and make sure this person was continuing their professional sessions.  

Years after these events this person resurfaced to thank me, let me know they were doing well and that they were engaged to be married.

I'm sure most current or ex leaders and/or officials here, of which most of you are I suspect, can relate and agree to the fact that the real difficult challenges you've faced weren't setting up fights, maintaining cohesion, or growing your respective clans but the type of issue like this that broadside you out of nowhere and remind you how much real life tends to seep into this shared fantasy we are all part of or in some cases (as myself) were once a part of.

Edited by Teucrates, 26 May 2018 - 2:00 PM.

#23 zybezisdead

zybezisdead

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >

Posted 26 May 2018 - 3:10 PM

Consider the recent fights topics where clans like RoT and CT are making billions per night - via items which other players weren't expecting to lose.

They save screenshots and clips for weeks to make those topics, otherwise they'd post them every single day.

#24 unbiased observer

unbiased observer

• Clan:Reign of Terror

Posted 26 May 2018 - 4:32 PM

Consider the recent fights topics where clans like RoT and CT are making billions per night - via items which other players weren't expecting to lose.

They save screenshots and clips for weeks to make those topics, otherwise they'd post them every single day.

Clans do post them every day but this is kind of off topic

RIP Nick

#25 Wack Sparrow

Wack Sparrow

Don't Have One

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Wack Sparrow
  • Clan:Ronin

Posted 26 May 2018 - 5:43 PM

Just finished season two of 13 Reasons.

Runescape helped me through difficult times in my life and for that I'm grateful. If anyone is ever having trouble, I hope they can remember what makes them happy, and for each moment we live, we can continue to grow. Rip
I don't care. I just don't care E#

Posted Image

#26 Trainer Red

Trainer Red

The Incorruptible Future Moderator of Clan Discussion/Fights

• Team:Fat Tony

Posted 26 May 2018 - 6:17 PM

whilst mental health and suicide are serious matters, sorry, but lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl **** to let that happen to you

R8d37wx.jpg

1. Have you had someone in your clan die, and how did it happen and what do you think about it?

Not in my clan but someone died before i joined and after they left a clan I was in.

In TT we wore black capes once a year to remember someone who died.

In Exodus Datin88 [?] was always really sick I was younger so I didn't really concern myself with what, she left the clan on bad terms a few years later I found out she passed.

2. What do you feel about suicide? and is this clanworld a place for people who suffer from depression?

I honestly think that with depression (actual depression, not self diagnosed or feeling bad for themselves) being a mental sickness people tend to try to find things to distract themselves from it, which doesn't actually help them at all, they need to actually seek help to treat it, It's a pretty uncomforable thing to talk about since I feel alot of people don't establish enough of a connection with people irl to talk to about their personal issues. Plus in a clanning situation it's kind of the blind leading the blind since not a huge majority of people function normally outside of the game in the clan world. So no, the clan world isn't somewhere for people with depression, maybe a skilling clan or a cc might be better.

3. What can we do as a member of a clan to make clanning a safe environment for everyone?

You can't really dictate peoples behaviors in the clan world. Kinda seen everything from clans making fun of someone who died to people faking things like cancer or whatever etc. You get really protect anyone in a community where degeneracy, autism, and edgeness are celebrated.

Edited by Trainer Red, 26 May 2018 - 6:34 PM.

Holder of Longest F2P Geared Fight Record [Winner] 

Holder of Longest P2P Rag Fight Record [Winner]

4000+ Positive Rating Club on Runescape Community

Holder of most swipped on tinder 2009. 2010. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015, 2017

Greatest bolt ragger the clan world has ever seen
Best Canadian scaper 2008-2017

Purchased Falador Castle and Bridge 2018 

#27 kyle

kyle

Posted 26 May 2018 - 9:46 PM

public chat to friends  :angry:

WSsRKjL.png

#28 Jake

Jake

• RS Name:Blaedr
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:North Korea

Posted 27 May 2018 - 3:29 AM

Online trolling has led a lot of people to take their own lives, self harm or exarcabated people’s mental illnesses, so of course the same behaviour within the clan world can create the same issues. Some of the behaviour in this game is atrocious, I remember when Rot would regularly spam about a clan mates dead parents, not sure what would drive them to do this other than getting a kick out of hurting someone who has already been hurt immeasurably. Guess Torreoria’s post about weak minded people is fitting. I remember I messaged someone about it, who I thought was a reasonable person but he just said the same **** in the private message and tried to troll me about it.

Most online trolls / abusers are absolute losers behind their computer screens anyway and are too scared to post an IRl picture. Probably making up for some deficit in their lives.

#29 Own u 1107

Own u 1107

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 27 May 2018 - 5:12 AM

whilst mental health and suicide are serious matters, sorry, but lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl **** to let that happen to you

With that logic, people cant trust anyone in the scene because whenever any bad thing happens between you two then the risk is being exposed. I am very careful with sharing any private matters just because i have seen that anything people know about you can be used on you to try to hurt you. I know about someone who is known by a lot of people in the clanworld and is daily bullied because people find him stupid. The thing about him is that he suffer from mental illness, which i came to find out since he accidentally admitted it and most of the time he cant help it acting like how he is.

There is people who dont have anyone in the real world, to help them or make them feel like anyone care about them. Those people has a system who has let them down, and they come to this game only to find out there is worse kind of people here who do things they wouldn't dare to do in real life. Flaming is one thing, but going out of your way to ddox a person, or ddosing them so they cant play the game to talk to the only friends they have.This game can be fun for those who dont share anything about them, but it can be more fun if they could share some thing without people using it to try to damage you just for clan beef. The person you trusted, is now in another clan sharing stuff to the clan you have beef with. I feel like this game is dangerous for kids, and i know a lot of you guys are adults now so obvious you can handle more stuff thrown at you. But kids are not, they act from their feelings and i think the fact that clanning has been dead might be due to this.

Spoiler

#30 Rj deathlord1

Rj deathlord1

• Rating: < -5 | -3 | +5 >
  • Clan:vR

Posted 27 May 2018 - 6:01 AM

If anyone is feeling any thoughts of suicide/ depression etc then I hope they seek help regardless of what clan they'r in. Remember this is a game and will do nothing for your life, if you aren't having fun playing then don't play brothers

Violent Resolution - www.vr-rs.com/forums

Clans Closed: Corruption, The Titans, Solace, Rot v1.

#31 Maarten_dh

Maarten_dh

Posted 27 May 2018 - 6:41 AM

It's disappointing that some individuals and groups of people enjoy taking clan beef outside of the game. Nevertheless, I think it's very much a cultural problem. The internet stimulates people to live in isolation and to pursue train of thoughts which wouldn't pass the light-of-day test. Unfortunately, as a clan member we are very limited with helping as we're only observing a marginal part of their lives. It sucks to see this happen though, suicide should never be an option..

DI Old School
7VsRxqI.gif

raqlac.jpg
XKB4m3l.png

These hoes ain't loyal.

#32 Scooler2

Scooler2

Posted 27 May 2018 - 9:49 AM

Sad but also expected to see members from clans that take actions out of game and resort to strategies like doxing and hacking make pathetic attempts to trivialize or mock mental health in this topic. It's actually quite ironic if I'm honest seeing as this game is quite a large part of their lives for the most part (despite hiding behind a facade of making 6 figures and being total hit successes IRL). It is what it is I guess but when you take a step back and realise that, in the end, this is just a game and phase in (most of) our lives, the clanning community is incredibly toxic and definitely not sustainable or positive for mental health. 

#33 unbiased observer

unbiased observer

Posted 28 May 2018 - 2:44 PM

mental illness isn't even real it's just an excuse made up by the DF/DI/VR victim media

#34 Sciamachy

Sciamachy

Posted 28 May 2018 - 4:11 PM

Not aware of any deaths, thankfully

A lot of people use video games as an escape but the internet is a really bad place for someone who isn't mentally healthy. I've spoken with several people in this game who've gone through some form of depression and tried to offer my support. Generally I try to encourage people to take a step back and confront their problems irl rather than trying to distract themselves from them. "Toxicity" is inherent to online communication, especially in a competitive community, and I don't see that ever changing.

Honestly, I don't think you really can. It would be more realistic to just collectively acknowledge that irl harrasment, doxxing, etc are bad and shame people that still partake in it.

Edited by Lavigne, 29 May 2018 - 1:02 AM.
The last part of your post was unacceptable.

Founder of Red Army

#35 FfsM8

FfsM8

Posted 30 May 2018 - 5:50 AM

No.

Obviously it's never the solution but it's also difficult to understand just how much somebody has to be suffering to consider it in the first place. I can't really comprehend it myself but what I or anyone else thinks is absolutely irrelevant to somebody at rock bottom.

The clanworld could be double edged sword in that sense. Although some people will continue to deny this (just lol), the fact of the matter is that a lot of people who play this game wouldn't exactly be classified as social success stories. That could mean underdeveloped social skills, few friends, underlying mental health conditions and so on, and for those people Runescape may serve as an escape mechanism. Clans would also be attractive to those sorts of people, they provide another distraction mechanism and the means to engage with people who have similar interests. Depending on your viewpoint that could be either a positive or a negative for somebody, although in the long term it's a pretty poor solution that will always be trumped by professional help. As for the toxicity stuff it all depends on the individual, one person may brush it off easily and so the clanworld would be more of a solace thing for them. Someone on the other end of the spectrum may find that what comes with the scene may have negative impacts on their mental health.

Main point to take away though, I can guarantee that our little scene has a far higher proportion of people with mental health issues than the general populace, and for some of those people it might not be a positive environment.

Not that much. I doubt it's so much a case of the clanworld causing those sorts of incidents it's more people being predisposed. The best thing anybody can realistically do is to mitigate. The simple act of approaching somebody who you think might have an issue and being reassuring to them is a positive step, perhaps from that some dialogue could happen that could benefit them further. I really wouldn't imagine that this is a particularly healthy lifestyle for somebody with long term issues though. 

2qudLuM.gif

#36 HECKBTW

HECKBTW

• RS Name:lol

Posted 08 June 2018 - 9:07 PM

you seem too ignorant and understand **** all about mental health 

#37 S Ali

S Ali

• RS Name:S.Ali
  • Clan:none

Posted 10 June 2018 - 2:38 AM

not specifically in my clan, but friends in rs that were also friends irl ye. I don't remember exactly but involved family issues. I think that its a bit screwed up but it is what it is, even though runescape didn't contribute anything to their death, in fact they spent time in runescape to escape real life issues that they don't have control over, like i said, family issues. They were not in any clan as well.

i think that its a serious issue that the world is currently facing, its mostly facing teens right now, and i'm starting to feel disgusted by this issue because people can even get it due to cramping exams or homeworks, as easy as that, and commit suicide when they don't meet their grades, or even get demotivated and get tortured by their family. (yes this happened many times in here) 

nope this clan world is not a place for people suffering from any mental issues especially if the clan he is involved in a crash war, maybe 8-9 years ago it would be fine because the clan world wasn't as toxic as it is now.

there is a person that is in my clan that had an issue with talking and typing a full sentence (dont know the type of issue exactly or name) and he once got flamed by it when my clan was in a crash war, and I got big time pissed by the two guys and i listed them in my snipe list, but even though that guy had the issue, he contacted me personally saying he deals with these kind of people everyday in real life and in game for many years now, and told me his method is to ignore these kind of people. At that time i shed a tear and realised that there are many things that we dont know and that these mental issues these guys facing are actually worse then we could ever imagine, the fact that they have to deal with these kind of people everyday is disgusting, makes us feel worse then we actually are and that we should put more effort towards protecting these kind of people, the fact that they have to deal with the mental issue they have, and above all get flamed? disgusting ****, they are actually getting hurt more then what we realise.

list the guys that flame in a snipe list and hunt them everyday, dont think its possible now since that its always p2p fights. 

well we cant do anything about it till the issue extends more and more day by day till the WHOLE clan world and zybez realise that and put a limit to it.

however, as far as crash wars exist, there will be no safe environment in the clan world, but at the same time crash wars make it fun to play and have a reason to log in everyday. that's the reason I was in poison lmao.

its nice to see you own u btw you a good guy with strong ambitions, I madly respect you for that, hope your doing fine.

Edited by S Ali, 10 June 2018 - 2:44 AM.

S Ali

Spoiler

#38 HECKBTW

HECKBTW

• RS Name:lol

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

not specifically in my clan, but friends in rs that were also friends irl ye. I don't remember exactly but involved family issues. I think that its a bit screwed up but it is what it is, even though runescape didn't contribute anything to their death, in fact they spent time in runescape to escape real life issues that they don't have control over, like i said, family issues. They were not in any clan as well.

i think that its a serious issue that the world is currently facing, its mostly facing teens right now, and i'm starting to feel disgusted by this issue because people can even get it due to cramping exams or homeworks, as easy as that, and commit suicide when they don't meet their grades, or even get demotivated and get tortured by their family. (yes this happened many times in here) 

nope this clan world is not a place for people suffering from any mental issues especially if the clan he is involved in a crash war, maybe 8-9 years ago it would be fine because the clan world wasn't as toxic as it is now.

there is a person that is in my clan that had an issue with talking and typing a full sentence (dont know the type of issue exactly or name) and he once got flamed by it when my clan was in a crash war, and I got big time pissed by the two guys and i listed them in my snipe list, but even though that guy had the issue, he contacted me personally saying he deals with these kind of people everyday in real life and in game for many years now, and told me his method is to ignore these kind of people. At that time i shed a tear and realised that there are many things that we dont know and that these mental issues these guys facing are actually worse then we could ever imagine, the fact that they have to deal with these kind of people everyday is disgusting, makes us feel worse then we actually are and that we should put more effort towards protecting these kind of people, the fact that they have to deal with the mental issue they have, and above all get flamed? disgusting ****, they are actually getting hurt more then what we realise.

list the guys that flame in a snipe list and hunt them everyday, dont think its possible now since that its always p2p fights. 

well we cant do anything about it till the issue extends more and more day by day till the WHOLE clan world and zybez realise that and put a limit to it.

however, as far as crash wars exist, there will be no safe environment in the clan world, but at the same time crash wars make it fun to play and have a reason to log in everyday. that's the reason I was in poison lmao.

its nice to see you own u btw you a good guy with strong ambitions, I madly respect you for that, hope your doing fine.

i think theres someone on zybez with a fkin brain holy ****

#39 Christy

Christy

UNC Official

• RS Name:Pipsqueek
  • Clan:Cutthroat

Posted 18 June 2018 - 5:46 PM

Just reading this, had no idea nick committed suicide he was a good friend of mine pre eoc hadn't spoken to him for a few years really sad to hear.

fQMqOsv.gif

#40 GREEN_OVER_PURPLE

GREEN_OVER_PURPLE

I KILLED SV l0l

Posted 19 June 2018 - 2:35 PM

Hopefully the people who need help will see how toxic and disgusting clanning is will quit for good before it’s too late

?

Nop. That is in the discord picture dump from today. We collect pictures to warn members on what can how they can improve, in this case he was in mystic and not switching to his tank gear and kept smiting.

Still does not erase the fact you got bullied into single today for the 2nd time.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: