Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-02 at 03:59. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

1-800-273-8255

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Own u 1107

Own u 1107

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 25 May 2018 - 8:00 AM

I was reading this topic about Dakota and i started to think, might also be due to watching 13 reasons why.

I have heard about people dying in the clanning scene and i also had a friend (itz stalker/Nick) who committed suicide last year who i know from Cd since 09. Suicide is a very serious thing, and a problem for people who suffer depression. This game has helped people , but at the same time it has put people in a worse state due to bullying, ddoxing etc. I know how toxic clanning can be, but also a fun place for other people. Some people don`t realize their actions has affect on people before its too late and i believe that some people play this game to escape from reality. We live in a world, where every choice you make has a consequence, which brought me to these questions.

1. Have you had someone in your clan die, and how did it happen and what do you think about it?

2. What do you feel about suicide? and is this clanworld a place for people who suffer from depression?

3. What can we do as a member of a clan to make clanning a safe environment for everyone?

Spoiler

#2 Savea

Savea

Posted 25 May 2018 - 9:05 AM

whilst mental health and suicide are serious matters, sorry, but lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl **** to let that happen to you

Edited by Savea, 25 May 2018 - 9:08 AM.

#3 Flynn.

Flynn.

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Member
  • Team:Wizards of Hogwarts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 9:16 AM

jbkkj

Edited by Flynn., 30 May 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Wee Man

Wee Man

Чистой ненависти номер один

Posted 25 May 2018 - 9:25 AM

Never knew that happened to Nick, I didn't know him all that well but it sucks to hear none the less.

1. Have you had someone in your clan die, and how did it happen and what do you think about it?

Not that I know of.

2. What do you feel about suicide? and is this clanworld a place for people who suffer from depression?

I don't think surrounding yourself by negativity is good for your long term mental health if those are issues you're dealing with.

3. What can we do as a member of a clan to make clanning a safe environment for everyone?

Absolutely nothing.

but lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl sht to let that happen to you

The weird thing about mentally ill people is that they don't think like mentally healthy people.

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

#5 BROSEPH

BROSEPH

Jesus

Posted 25 May 2018 - 9:38 AM

whilst mental health and suicide are serious matters, sorry, but lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl **** to let that happen to you

Tryna

Ex EoS Council
Proud to have walked this gracious world beside Reign Of Terror

The Rising Knights Templar

#6 Vio

Vio

The Chaosrider

Posted 25 May 2018 - 9:54 AM

As a leader, I've counselled suicidal members before - including one instance where I had to make multiple calls to their local police in the early hours of the morning to ensure their safety.

I've seen various instances of death - an old clanmate lost both his parents in a car crash, and in early WG history we had a member reportedly die from leukemia (and held an in-game funeral for him, 2005).

But as far as I'm aware, we haven't had any actual suicides.

This sort of applies to the whole game, and maybe the internet itself by extent.

It's a very harsh place - one in terms of the usual flaming/kys stuff, and the second in terms of actual behaviour.

Consider the recent fights topics where clans like RoT and CT are making billions per night - via items which other players weren't expecting to lose.

I don't think what happens in RuneScape will ever be enough to drive someone to suicide, but it can definitely build up on top of existing real-world issues and potentially become a contributing factor.

As for RSC clans, we're mostly adults so it's not a huge issue for us personally - we can handle the banter and are usually smart enough to not get maced/skulltricked/etc.

But it's worth remembering that RS is a children's game, and those are two on a long list of threats to any new blood coming into the clan world.

I personally don't subscribe to the idea of safe spaces.

People are assholes, and there are two ways of dealing with this.

A: Accept this fact and try and deal with it

This is my personal approach - controlled exposure, and let people adapt to the environment.

Teach your members not to get lured/smited, and to see the flaming for what it is - a battle tactic intended to demoralise.

I'm also not a fan of suicide hotlines - I think people in that position should prioritise speaking to someone who already has meaning in their lives, and clanmates are on that list.

Everyone - not just leaders - should be prepared to deal with clanmates who end up anywhere between depressed and suicidal.

That's really all we can do - take care of our own, and maybe offer that support outside of our clans if we happen to be nice enough.

or B: try and stop people from being assholes.

Prior to the existence of a clan known as nMe, this was actually a fairly universal thing.

If we want to recreate that clan world, then the honour code needs to come back, and Zybez in particular needs to enforce it religiously.

Of course, I'm not sure how well that will work given that RoT has been the undisputed #1 for several years.

Perhaps we just need a single anti-RoT clan that can knock them off their throne, and thus shape the clan world to a new standard.

I therefore recommend that anyone who is interested in this approach should make it a priority to join an honourable clan like WG.

Posted Image

EOS callers rental rate is 500m per hour. #RSEOS if interested.

DG Keanu was free and lead us to victory, re-evaluate how important you think you are.

#7 Venenatis

Venenatis

Order of the White Lotus

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Not in my clan, but he was a friend of mine in another clan. He died in a car accident, drunk driving. He was the passenger. Sadly his experience in the clan world was not a good one. He was kicked from his first clan accused of leaking - I do not believe he did this. The second clan he joined he was constantly flamed for not tanking properly even though it wasn't his fault, his clan just sucked in general. He quit RSC clanning after these experiences,

How do I feel about it? It's selfish. Depends, talking to friends in your clan might help release stress.

Not take beef out of the game. 

Edited by Venenatis, 25 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#8 BROSEPH

BROSEPH

Jesus

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Moment of silence for thomasc and lanman

Ex EoS Council
Proud to have walked this gracious world beside Reign Of Terror

The Rising Knights Templar

#9 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Suicide should never be an option

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#10 Ace

Ace

• RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 25 May 2018 - 1:43 PM

Can't really think of anyone right now(aside from an ex-bk leader which was said to have happened but then debunked supposedly), but I do know a few people from outside of the clans I've been in that have kicked it unfortunately although none of them were cases of suicide(RIP Sauce :c ). 

It happens unfortunately, and we can't really do much for it. The clan world is definitely not a place for those suffering from depression or those who have suicidal tenancies. I would even go as far as to say that this place is a risk for those suffering from such depending on how bad it is. 

We can't. Clanning will probably never become a genuinely friendly environment that's capable of welcoming all sorts of people.

#11 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 25 May 2018 - 4:19 PM

Can't say I've ever seen one of these topics posted here, but definitely something that should be mentioned to the clan world.

In Collision there was an older guy who went by the name Hunts who had major health problems that I believe passed away a year or so ago. People always joked around with him about being old and playing runescape but I am unsure if that really played an impact on his death. He was a great person who really just wanted to please everyone, but was really sad to see him go. Not necessarily a suicidal death, but still sad.

If you are playing runescape and are a part of the clanning scene and suffer from depression you have to be one strong individual to get through it without mentally being screwed in any way. This clan world is so toxic that im honestly surprised there haven't been more deaths from it (that we know of).

The only real thing that we as members of a clan can do to really make the clanning environment safe for everyone is to really really stress people to chill out with bringing IRL info to the game. Personally idc if people know my info, but some do and clans that are in crashwars need to leave it simply to RS related threats and flames in all honesty. Anything further then that is just pathetic and shows the type of people are really a part of the clan world.

#12 KingTheGreat

KingTheGreat

=The Grim Reaper=

Posted 25 May 2018 - 5:09 PM

Not in my clan, but in my previous clan, Anonymous Community, one of my long time friends overdosed and I think he was dealing heavily with depression. To this day, I can't believe it has happened and ever since then it has caused me to feel horrible and I can't get over the fact that one of my long term friends is no longer with us.

I wish I could of been there to prevent it and to talked with him.

If a person can't handle being bullied/insulted everyday or just feel like they are worthless, it's hard to get involved in clanning. Hell, I had to deal with it since I was born but I don't let people over the internet get to me. However, if people I know and respect that were suicidal were getting harassed or bullied by either a rival clan or someone in my clan, I would immediately say something. Suicidal depression is not a joke, it's a mental issue and people think people can control it, you can't. 

It just depends on where you go, if you get involved with people who think bullying others over a video game is funny, then no. However, we also do have a bunch of clans that will make sure you feel welcomed. I prefer smaller clans cause they seem to be less toxic compared to clans that are much larger in size.

Stop trying to get people to leave this game and making them feel unwelcomed here. It's ridiculous. Especially using out of game tactics or mocking someone constantly over a mistake or something that they know very little about. It's pathetic and anyone who laughs at people for that, go to Hell. I personally, will be trying to talk to anyone that needs help. My clan is small, but my heart for my members is large and anyone who joins will feel welcomed and I will make sure they know I am here for them no matter what.

Also, removing any clans that seem to think bullying, harassment, ddosing, or doxing is funny. We need to have a respectful honorable community back, no wonder Jagex brushed us aside.

☠Reapers of Runescape: Forums Twitter Youtube

Posted Image

☠☠☠Founder of Reapers of Runescape: Twitter Twitch

#13 D J

D J

Posted 25 May 2018 - 5:18 PM

Never knew that happened to Nick, I didn't know him all that well but it sucks to hear none the less.

Not that I know of.

I don't think surrounding yourself by negativity is good for your long term mental health if those are issues you're dealing with.

Absolutely nothing.

but lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl **** to let that happen to you

The weird thing about mentally ill people is that they don't think like mentally healthy people.

#14 Noble Inc

Noble Inc

Shun the non-believer

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >

Posted 25 May 2018 - 5:19 PM

Suicide should never be an option

Nor is it ever the solution.

NMEuG5C.gif

HXcDuQz.gif

The Rising Legend

#15 Adrenalized

Adrenalized

Legion

Posted 25 May 2018 - 6:55 PM

Nobody said life was easy sucks but hey its life, nobody should be alone.

sl5iCmh.png

#16 Lavapheonix2

Lavapheonix2

• RS Status:Free
  • Team:magebank

Posted 25 May 2018 - 9:00 PM

lol @ any1 who genuinely lets the clan world of runescape dictate/influence their mental well-being/state. and if it does, you're likely far too invested, sensitive, and/or open about your irl **** to let that happen to you

is this a serious take?

Stealing another clan's signature is against the rules. Don't put it back. - Yorick

#17 Zq50

Zq50

♕ Zq50 ♕

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Zq50
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Exodus
  • Team:Silent Ember

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

I don't think so. 

Suicide is not the answer. There is nothing worth killing yourself over. The clan world is a unique place and for a unique group and it takes certain individuals to be able to handle the constant flaming. So no, if you suffer from depression, run.

As for IRL flames and leaking, I've never been a fan of it. I don't really care if I get leaked, but other friends who want their IRL as far away as possible from this game, I don't want them leaked. I've actually been fake leaked before. FM11 posted a topic in EoS vs Sol crash war and posted a pic of some overweight guy with glasses saying "Zq50 has eaten 10 cheeseburgers since the start of this crash war." I had a good laugh and then I responded by posting my actual IRL. 

Not much. Maybe start to shame IRL leaks? There is nothing we can really do about it as its been a problem for years. Its like campaigns trying to end people saying the word "Retard." Its not gonna happen. Nobody will ever be safe from any flaming ever in the clan world.

Posted Image

#18 Crest227

Crest227

• RS Name:Crest227
  • Clan:Minty
  • Team:Fresh

Posted 26 May 2018 - 2:05 AM

Friend of mine in Corruption did, was very shocking and upsetting to hear. Such a great individual, always wonderful to talk to, very energetic and caring.

I remember how disappointed he was in me when I rejoined Vr lol. Then I realized how disappointed I was in myself when my own clan mates were flaming him in game for dying in real life. I lost a lot of respect for that clan and the people who I used to call friends there.

I guess Crest had the last laugh after all. In a fight with Dfall he said something along the lines "How long till you leave 'The' "

It's not blind trust. In order to get the moderator rank, you need to show your loyalty to RSC by working for years as a CL, and you need to prove your trustworthiness in that time. Think of CD staff as a clan in and of itself: who do you think a moderator would be more loyal to, the clan they were in for a few weeks (or literally just joined), or the clan they worked hard in for years? To assume a moderator would throw all his hard work away just to impress his new buddies is absurd.

If you still are concerned, then use a proxy just like you would do if you visited a rival clan's board, but I and the entire admin staff are 100% confident our moderators do not and will not leak IPs.

#19 TopOne1111

TopOne1111

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Top1
  • Clan:CUTTHROAT

Posted 26 May 2018 - 2:10 AM

Wow this topic is deep sheet, i bet people wont share there feelings with other clannies/rivals.

But yeah u have a option suicidial isnt a option.

#20 Torreoria

Torreoria

UNC Official

Posted 26 May 2018 - 4:18 AM

He was 16 years old. He was last seen on a security cam, walking through a parking lot. He was found dead next to a river. There never was anything mentioned about it in the news beyond what I just told above nor was there an investigation. Lots of questions with no answers can be haunting.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation.
Depression can (in some instances) be lightened for a short moment.

There are as many different sorts of people as there are people. Some will react more quietly and internalize stress. Some find release in being mean. People know if what they do is mean. If there are none to stand up to it and allow it to become the norm then we end up with a toxic community. owait

Too often, good people go punished for doing good deeds. Too often, people will try to be accepted by weak minded bullies because they aren't strong enough mentally to stand against wrong doing. Weak minded people jump on the bandwagon rather than fight the good fight. They want to be a part of the cool kids. lmao Being mean feels good because we allow it (no repercussions). That's the solution. Don't allow it. Man up and get involved.
A saying comes to mind, "all you big ones line up and all you little ones bunch up and let's dance". If some clans weren't so hell-bent on gaining more numbers rather than being a bit more selective we might see a better clanning community. Harboring bullies, acct hijackers, doxxers and other such scummy sorts is not good for the long term. It harms the clanning community's reputation.

Edited by Lavigne, 29 May 2018 - 1:03 AM.
You laid out an unintended bait and it got taken, to prevent further issues, I edited out part of your post. You know exactly which part.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: