We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo
OSRS

Third-party client drama

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

slayer master

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Brain Ou
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Green Bandits

Posted 16 May 2018 - 5:46 AM

I checked with spoonheb before posting, he said I'm good as long as there are no links, but if there's anything else I need to watch out for to have a thread on this topic up let me know

Last night, May 15 2018, the following message was posted on all of runelite's outlets:

I have just finished having a discussion with Mod Mat K, who is threatening legal action against RuneLite for copyright infringement if it is not shut down by the end of the week.

I inquired specifically what parts of RuneLite violate Jagex's copyright so that I could take it down, and even offered to close source the project, but MMK insisted that the entire project must be shut down, and gave no specifics about the copyright infringement claims, and only said legal action would be taken.

I was also informed that they were "working on" shutting down both OSB and Konduit, and that I was the "first" to be contacted.

RuneLite is certainly in a grey area to my knowledge of copyright law. I have no issue working with Jagex to remove parts of it from the public eye if requested. I would also have no issue shutting down the entire client if all 3rd party clients were banned. However, I do have an issue with shutting down the entire client while OSBuddy is allowed to operate.

While I agree that RuneLite does threaten the integrity of the game, what threatens it even more is that I have to buy OSBuddy in order to gain the same competitive advantages of other players in game. RuneLite exists to try and level the playing field as to who can develop on the client, of which I think it has done well.

Jagex, please work with me here instead of singling us out. We love the game, and have great respect for you, but this is not an acceptable way of dealing with the third party clients.

If anyone within the community happens to be a (copyright) lawyer, please contact me.

- Adam

Unsurprisingly, considering that few OSRS players still use the vanilla client, the community is going nuts about this. Reddit, twitter, runelite's discord, and world 2 falador are on fire right now. What do you guys think about it here on Zybez? I'm personally doubtful that the message is legitimate for a number of reasons, but we can't really be sure until the Q&A in a few hours.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 16 May 2018 - 5:47 AM.

#2 Ace

Ace

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 16 May 2018 - 6:06 AM

I believe MMK made a public statement somewhere confirming most of this, although OSBuddy has denied being contacted for this.

Some of the clients out there are honestly quite overpowered. There was one that basically held people's hands through bosses for them and such. I imagine the reasoning is more behind something such as bot detection though. I'm mainly thinking back on how they had issues with even auto hot keys in that regard so of course a full blown client would trouble them even more.

I find it interesting to see how dependent the osrs community has grown on 3pc. Even the clanning community itself has grown very dependent on things such as the various timers, overlays showing when to sip potions, and the person display on the minimap. 

#3 DULL123

DULL123

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:DULL
  • Team:Martians

Posted 16 May 2018 - 6:10 AM

D:

#4 Grabbin

Grabbin

• RS Status:Free
  • Clan:Revenant
  • Team:Clan Rope

Posted 16 May 2018 - 6:11 AM

just get rid of all of them lol

lFGrpcJ.gif

#5 Bow

Bow

Posted 16 May 2018 - 6:52 AM

Honestly, its long over due just like the last go around Jagex had with the 3rd party client creators.  It's a slippery slope they should have never gone down and it was only a matter of time before the clients kept pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable add ons.  The clients have gone too far and are beginning to wreck the game play.

Senior Moderator for Zybez Forums

Leader of RuneScape Dinasty

RSD - Joined: 03-10-06; Closed: 01-23-13 ]

#6 TopOne1111

TopOne1111

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Top1
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:CUTTHROAT

Posted 16 May 2018 - 7:50 AM

Would be more fun if every1 used the same client

#7 Wee Man

Wee Man

Чистой ненависти номер один

Posted 16 May 2018 - 8:26 AM

If they ban all 3rd party clients without updating their client to match the functionality then I won't be playing.

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

#8 ry0

ry0

• RS Name:ryo
  • Clan:DK/ infamous/

Posted 16 May 2018 - 8:43 AM

Time to quit rs

#9 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 16 May 2018 - 9:03 AM

If they ban all 3rd party clients without updating their client to match the functionality then I won't be playing.

Guess you'd never make it past a captcha lol

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#10 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

I never used third party clients. They became excessive with things like telling you what to pray against jad, where to click to solve puzzles.

I'd rather there were no third party clients.

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#11 Reagan

Reagan

• RS Name:Onomatozeah

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Falador W302 was crazy yesterday.

Reagann.png

xnzscl.jpg

#12 Adrenalized

Adrenalized

Legion

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 16 May 2018 - 1:17 PM

We all should know it's Runescapes goal to contradict themselves. Anything Jagex touches they ruin, why do you think we all reverted back to bad graphics old style gameplay. Jagex ruined Runescape once I'll be willing to bet they'll ruin it again..

sl5iCmh.png

#13 EvilEmpire13

EvilEmpire13

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:EvilEmpire13

Posted 16 May 2018 - 7:38 PM

Played long enough with out it..get rid of them

#14 Wee Man

Wee Man

Чистой ненависти номер один

Posted 17 May 2018 - 5:02 AM

We all should know it's Runescapes goal to contradict themselves. Anything Jagex touches they ruin, why do you think we all reverted back to bad graphics old style gameplay. Jagex ruined Runescape once I'll be willing to bet they'll ruin it again..

Looks they folded, honestly this wouldn't even be a big deal if they went a different route with it. Just low-key plan a huge client overhaul and implement the QoL features of most 3rd party clients to their own (Enemy information, timers etc) and then ban 3rd party clients/take legal action against those that refuse. Easy as that really. The way they went about it this time was just silly and likely forced by higher ups who aren't well versed in the community side of things.

That being said Reddit clowns blew it out of proportion as per usual and cried until they got their own way which is pathetic. While Jagex should of been been open to work with Runelites dev to fix the issue rather than jump to a legal threat they still had a very valid concern what with it being open source. This reactionary and inflammatory form of outrage over something so small is just ridiculous and I hope that the kids on Reddit know that the wider RS community think they're total crybaby idiots.

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

#15 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >

Posted 17 May 2018 - 6:47 AM

It's a little bit silly to tolerate a paid RuneScape client for - how long is it, several years now? - whilst complaining and trying to get rid of a different one that happens to be free. It's so suspicious that it almost makes it look as if they're either getting some sort of kickback or have some affection from their former employee. I'm not so confident this would hold up so well in court, on the small chance that it ultimately gets there. That would be kind of fun to watch though.

Need any RS help? PM me in-game (PM *always* on!) or here and I'll do my best to either help out or point you in the right direction. Don't be shy!

#16 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

slayer master

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Brain Ou
  • Clan:Green Bandits

Posted 17 May 2018 - 7:57 AM

Further updates since yesterday:

From Jagex:
Spoiler

From Adam, between the original post above and the update
Spoiler

From Adam, after speaking with Jagex and their newspost update being added
Spoiler

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 17 May 2018 - 8:00 AM.

#17 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 19 May 2018 - 4:12 PM

This whole situation is a prime example of Jagex lackadaisical enforcement of the rules with osrs.

OSRS is far easier to make clients for, and before that was only Swiftkit which only had calculators and tools, not much that interacted with the game itself. Once OSBuddy was a force in the community Jagex should have made their policy on third party clear and public but they didn't and got buddy buddy with OSBuddy. Now that more clients are appearing Jagex is being put in a tough spot since their relation with OSBuddy made them biased and they could no longer blanket enforce these clients even if they needed to.

I'm glad the situation ended positively with RuneLite, Jagex, being Jagex handled this with as much tact as an arrogant child and I am disappointed in those involved at not only the lack of professionalism, but lack of consistency and obvious compromise of integrity with OSBuddy. I remember when SwiftSwitch was under-fire and Jagex worked with Stridor to negotiate making the client acceptable to both parties, Adam was not offered the same treatment despite Jagex being a lot more approachable than 12 years ago.

I would like to see policy on third parties that make a world of standards, none of them double.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#18 gamerhenrik

gamerhenrik

• RS Name:gamerhenrik

Posted 23 May 2018 - 1:44 AM

:D Lol time to leave rs indeed!

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt