We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Recent interview with Jagex CEO on Runescape and future Projects

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gintoki

Gintoki

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Bentoki
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Afrobros
  • Team:zchat

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

It's a big post, but here is a few highlights: 

On the new ownership

The ownership changed hands in 2016, and when that finished — I’d run a lot of the company for a few years, and I was promoted to the CEO position at the beginning of last year. It was a great opportunity. Our board of directors asked us what we wanted to do with the company. It wasn’t imposed on us. The question was, what do we want Jagex to be in the future?

Jagex's 5 "living game" design criteria

Having a clear design sense to make a game evergreen in its structure and its mechanics. We’ve been running RuneScape for 17 years. We’ve learned our lessons the hard way. If you want a game that can be played almost indefinitely and that you can update every week, that’s very challenging. You need to make sure it doesn’t become repetitive or become too complicated with all these things you’re adding to it to keep it fresh.

The second area is about empowering players. The more players have a say in the game that’s being made, the more stake they feel they have in it. They feel genuine emotional investment, which means they’re happier with the game, more loyal. This also has another virtue, which is that if you genuinely listen to what players are saying, and you can adapt the game to what they’re asking for, the game itself should better reflect their preference. If you listen, you make a better product through that feedback cycle.

The third thing was about making ... evolving game experiences and game worlds. A lot of games ... they are fundamentally very static. If you create something that’s more of a world — it’s more unpredictable, there are new things happening ... it’s somewhere that feels alive and feels like an exciting place to exist. Not just visit and complete a level but really immerse yourself in the game. Updating the game, keeping it fresh and exciting, is incredibly important. When we think about that, it’s not updating every quarter. It’s updating a few times a week. That becomes a bit more like real life, with new interesting and unpredictable things happening all the time.

The fourth ... is meaningful social experiences, connecting players together in a meaningful way. There’s a big difference between deep social connection, where you’re in the same game world as someone else and facing perils together ... that’s different from being auto-joined into a clan after 10 minutes where you don’t know anyone.

And the fifth pillar ... is to take the community experience outside the game. Communities often do this themselves, but we’ve found that if we empower the players to do it, support them, and encourage them, they can be out on social media. They can be on Reddit and game forums. You can help content creators. You can give them tools and support their endeavors. That makes a big difference.

On the secret RPG project

...one of the games we’re making is a next-generation online RPG. We’re about a year into a multi-year development cycle, with still a long way to go. ... I also think there’s a big opportunity for that kind of online RPG — I’m trying not to say “MMORPG” because in people’s heads, that creates an image that’s not what we want to build. I’m as much inspired by contemporary action-RPGs or adventures, by shared worlds like you see in games like Destiny. ... You get the benefits of an MMO game but without all of the complexity and hassle. We’re trying to embrace accessibility and these more contemporary concepts for big online games when creating this next-generation online RPG.

RuneScape's growth

Our RuneScape games have consistently grown over the last few years. We’ve had a resurgence for the last four years.

In late February, we did a big charity event inside our games. We had our highest concurrent user numbers in eight years.

Full article can be found here https://venturebeat....-a-living-game/

xD4B8ER.png

#2 try t0 live

try t0 live

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:BlocBoy Ant

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

dumpster fire.

Roll, Roll, Roll your chair.

#3 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

Never heard about a succesful game made by Jagex outside RS tbh...maybe they change this time.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#4 Out

Out

Forsaken

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Renegades
  • Team:Silent Ember

Posted 02 April 2018 - 1:06 PM

Don't hold your breath 

Ob11Jxh.png

#5 Grabbin

Grabbin

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Free
  • Clan:Revenant
  • Team:Clan Rope

Posted 02 April 2018 - 1:28 PM

Never heard about a succesful game made by Jagex outside RS tbh...maybe they change this time.

highly doubt it, but gl jagex

lFGrpcJ.gif

#6 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 02 April 2018 - 1:29 PM

Interesting.

#7 Renkotsu

Renkotsu

Tom Cruise

Posted 02 April 2018 - 2:08 PM

Hey man, Funorb was actually really great. It's a shame Jagex just let it rot after ~2010 :cry:

#8 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 02 April 2018 - 2:25 PM

Hey man, Funorb was actually really great. It's a shame Jagex just let it rot after ~2010 :cry:

Thanks for putting salt in the wound, I'll cry in a corner now

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#9 jax

jax

• Rating: < -5 | -4 | +5 >
  • Clan:Reign of Terror

Posted 02 April 2018 - 2:48 PM

Mechscape coming out 2020!

Edited by jax, 02 April 2018 - 2:48 PM.

maybe - mods

stop deleting my posts mods

#10 Whipp

Whipp

• RS Name:Whip

Posted 02 April 2018 - 3:19 PM

Fun orb v2

#11 Ace

Ace

• Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 02 April 2018 - 3:30 PM

Jagex doesn't have any chance of making a different mmo work, unless they decide to go with mechscape cause y'know that rumor was hype back in 2007.

#12 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 19 April 2018 - 3:34 PM

Updating the game, keeping it fresh and exciting, is incredibly important. When we think about that, it’s not updating every quarter. It’s updating a few times a week. That becomes a bit more like real life, with new interesting and unpredictable things happening all the time.

A few times a week. Yeah if that's your mission statement, your quality control is going to get even worse... even if they just mean bug fixes it's still a dumb thing to say.

We’ve learned our lessons the hard way. If you want a game that can be played almost indefinitely and that you can update every week, that’s very challenging. You need to make sure it doesn’t become repetitive or become too complicated with all these things you’re adding to it to keep it fresh.

The players want quality updates, not half baked ones. don't release something to make a quota, the biggest problem with rs3 jagex is the half done and unfinished updates.

The third thing was about making ... evolving game experiences and game worlds. A lot of games ... they are fundamentally very static

Another thing I have a problem with rs3 jagex with is the amount of clutter in the game world, expand the landmass or delete more unused content... do we still need stuff like armadyl's tower near the clan portal.

On the secret RPG project

...one of the games we’re making is a next-generation online RPG. We’re about a year into a multi-year development cycle, with still a long way to go. ... I also think there’s a big opportunity for that kind of online RPG — I’m trying not to say “MMORPG” because in people’s heads, that creates an image that’s not what we want to build. I’m as much inspired by contemporary action-RPGs or adventures, by shared worlds like you see in games like Destiny. ... You get the benefits of an MMO game but without all of the complexity and hassle. We’re trying to embrace accessibility and these more contemporary concepts for big online games when creating this next-generation online RPG.

Not holding my breath. Sounds like they are describing an instanced mmo, not really interested.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#13 Nindo29

Nindo29

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

interesting

2eldxet.png

YH6SYxv.png

#14 bier

bier

• RS Name:LlE

Posted 28 April 2018 - 6:16 PM

YESH! Bring funorb back! I was always playing AoG when I was afking something in the real game! :yes:

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: