We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Clan or no clan?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 .Ravose.

.Ravose.

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:The Rising

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:31 AM

There has been a small discussion in the Clan Discussion forum in regards to how the main-clanning community is dwindling. There have been some smalltalk on suggestions, etc, but for overall opinions - how do you, the people who play OSRS/RS3, feel about clans in general? It seems to me that people who are not involved in clanning get a negative vibe from people who try to venture out and talk to others; in retrospect to the safety of their accounts or just the main toxicity involved with clanning. But in any case, I feel this forum should suffice for an area to talk with to those who do not clan as to those who do and maybe even shed some light on some of the things that the community could do better. Things that are suggested may not be something the community picks up on right away, but at least it would give insights on what the clanning community could do better as, as a whole.

tl;dr: If you do not clan, how come? Do you feel the clanning community could do better in some ways (and how)? If you do clan, what are some things holding the community back?

(This is just a general question more aimed at those not in clans, because I am involved in clanning but only to a fraction of an extent.)

#2 Dainiukas

Dainiukas

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Dainiukas
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 12 March 2018 - 4:00 AM

People should join family.

#3 ZehFleming

ZehFleming

• RS Name:Apostel XIII
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 12 March 2018 - 4:14 AM

I’m currently not in a clan. The reason is simple though: I just recently started playing again and don’t meet the requirements set by most clans. But I was active in the clanning community back in the 00’s and I’ve obviously thought about joining a clan when my current account has improved. The main thing holding my back right now is the time invested in clanning.

Back in the 00’s, I was a teen with an overload of free time. This has changed: I work almost every day, I own a house, I live together with my partner, … Adulthood has brought me certain responsibilities and these take quite a lot of my free time. Time I used to spent with my clanmates running around in the wilderness, PvM’ing, … I don’t feel like pk’ing on a Wednesday night when I have to wake up at 6 am the next morning.

Judging the community as an outsider/recently started player, I have to say it all feels too closed right now. Before joining a clan in the 00’s, I remember frequenting open mass-events organized by clans like setting Varrock on fire, freak trains, …  This gave new players and players without clans a feeling of belonging, showing them that it’s great to be a part of an international community. Being part of a brotherhood is what got me into clanning, not some screenshots of a night out in wildy.

#4 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 12 March 2018 - 7:29 AM

I feel that particularly on RS3, there aren't those huge investments required to be part of a clan. Many are more social clans or allow you to just hang out as you feel like without forcing a ton of work on you. It's also not as difficult to level and a lot of things can be achieved via afk skilling. OSRS is probably quite different in the clanning respect, though.

Need any RS help? PM me in-game (PM *always* on!) or here and I'll do my best to either help out or point you in the right direction. Don't be shy!

#5 Lmao Im 1337

Lmao Im 1337

I don't care about real life

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

I don't think I could play RS without a PvP clan. Just too boring. Single pking is pointless as a solo pker so multi is the only way to go. 

IMO the only things holding back the community are pointless crash wars (even though the one my clan is in is very one-sided  :innocent: )

vwEr5OO.png

Retired Violent Resolution Senior Member | Discord | Forums

Retired Revenant Member | Discord | Forums

#zxcv - Illuminati of the clan world Founder | Discord

currently not playing - join zxcv discord for ownage

#6 Potrahs

Potrahs

︻╦╤─ ҉ - -

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >

Posted 12 March 2018 - 3:01 PM

With REV caves there will be new clans coming into scene. Just need more and more Wilderness updates for other bosses so Wilderness is packed with more Ppl so more Ppl will be interested in teams/clans. 

Edited by Potrahs, 12 March 2018 - 3:02 PM.

#7 Grabbin

Grabbin

• RS Status:Free
  • Clan:Revenant
  • Team:Clan Rope

Posted 12 March 2018 - 4:02 PM

I don't think I could play RS without a PvP clan. Just too boring. Single pking is pointless as a solo pker so multi is the only way to go. 

This, I doubt I'd still be playing this game

lFGrpcJ.gif

#8 Ace

Ace

• Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 12 March 2018 - 4:55 PM

Clanning is something you partake of for yourself. You either have a good time with it, enjoying the community you're in as well as the events that come along with it or you don't. Even then, it's up to clans to prove that it's worth sacrificing your time and putting in the effort to be there. 

Edited by Ace, 12 March 2018 - 4:56 PM.

#9 Figment

Figment

The Loyal.

• RS Name:Figment
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 12 March 2018 - 5:41 PM

These days you just have to limit who you interact with and put the work in getting to know ALL your members. 

Get a group of trustworthy clans to do events with and yea. But shoot these day's the other clan might be the one to get you

f___ed over. 

Overall clanning is a great part of this game, really brings it to life. 

Retired
ex- KILLORGY - Member - QUIT GAME
ex- Mayhem Makers - Member - ENDED
ex- Pures Last Stand - Member - ENDED
ex- Conviction - Proud Member - ENDED
ex- Hazard - Member - ENDED
ex- Vendetta Pure clan - Council - ENDED
ex- Remedy - Elite - LEFT

ex- Ruin- Council - Retired
Posted Image

#10 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 21 March 2018 - 7:52 AM

I'm a person who was never into PKing or clanning, I started the game with more an interest in skilling and soaking in the more PVM parts of the game, I also did not have access to my own computer until like 2008, and by then I was working, and would not be able to attend events.

Nowadays I enjoy watching PKing content on Youtube and Twitch, but ever since rs2 pking died, I felt like the clan world has lost me completely when OSRS launched, despite the fact Jagex is catering to the PKcommunity far, far more than in 2005-12.

Here is a quick analysis of my view on the clan world from a person who has always been an outsider.

1. The clan world is not as diverse as it used to be: There are what 3-5 top clans now? The clan communities I long for was back in the day where there were dozens of them with different distinct personalities each clan brought to the community.
  2. Clans are now more reliant on backstabbing, ddosing, cheating, and just bad sportsman in general: This is one I'm not sure of existing as frequently back in the day or it's just now how social media is reporting these more often, but I remember clans being broken up into honor / no honor clans, and they were different worlds. I do know outside the bubble of the clan world, there is a gigantic negative stigma associated with them.
  3. 1 V 1 pking is all about tick abuse, swapping, combo food, and timing specials, vengeance, this is far more complicated than how pking was done back in rs2 and is not easy to pick up in the slightest. That and the prevalence of rushing puts me off from learning it when a level 40 with a gmaul can be unfair

It's not all negative, I'm sure the smaller clans have wonderful communities, and I'm sure someone will say I should not base my worldview on clans on RoT/Lit/Fools, but it's not shallow to think that they do in fact represent clans by being the biggest. I feel like I missed the golden age of clan communities and it's sad to me. The toxicity and circlejerking of the clan world really is for me, and a lot of people a deal breaker. I enjoy the non pking runescape communities I am a part of now, and I will continue to watch DMM and Youtube PK commentaries because I can enjoy PKing through them, and I hope the clan world can slowly return into being a place of community and not politics.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#11 Matt258

Matt258

Good with wood

Posted 22 March 2018 - 8:27 AM

I'm in The Slayers Guild & I enjoy the members in it. I don't have to Cap at the Citadel.

I would like to start my own Clan called True Mastery. Mostly a Skilling Clan but any Combat level can join. No requirements to Cap at the Citadel. Hopefully I can get some people to help me Start it soon  :thumbsup:  :hi: 

My Youtube name is: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers
Twitch: Matt258RS Twitter: Matt258RS

Makin Wines to 200M exp in F2p & Make Max Gp in F2p Goals

sVcOMsf.png

Going for 200M All Skills. It would be GREAT if you could Loan me Gp & I'll be paying you back with Interest! 40% Interest back to you.
Help me Collect Aluminum Cabs & Tabs for a Guinness Book of World Records! Collecting Aluminum Cans (for Cancer Research) & giving the Tabs to Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Help me Collect Aluminum Cabs & Tabs for a Guinness Book of World Records!

Level 99 Stats 26/27 200M exp Stats 4/27
Make like a tree & burn :)

#12 Drkkennyh

Drkkennyh

Posted 26 March 2018 - 1:07 PM

no clan persnally

#13 Olde Nite

Olde Nite

Leader of DI

• RS Name:Olde__Nite
  • Clan:Damage Inc.

Posted 26 March 2018 - 4:16 PM

Think most people who have ever clanned can agree it's a lot different playing the game without a clan. Most people would have quit OSRS within the first few months if it weren't for clans. This game isn't one you should play solo.

I'm a person who was never into PKing or clanning, I started the game with more an interest in skilling and soaking in the more PVM parts of the game, I also did not have access to my own computer until like 2008, and by then I was working, and would not be able to attend events.

Nowadays I enjoy watching PKing content on Youtube and Twitch, but ever since rs2 pking died, I felt like the clan world has lost me completely when OSRS launched, despite the fact Jagex is catering to the PKcommunity far, far more than in 2005-12.

Here is a quick analysis of my view on the clan world from a person who has always been an outsider.

1. The clan world is not as diverse as it used to be: There are what 3-5 top clans now? The clan communities I long for was back in the day where there were dozens of them with different distinct personalities each clan brought to the community.
  2. Clans are now more reliant on backstabbing, ddosing, cheating, and just bad sportsman in general: This is one I'm not sure of existing as frequently back in the day or it's just now how social media is reporting these more often, but I remember clans being broken up into honor / no honor clans, and they were different worlds. I do know outside the bubble of the clan world, there is a gigantic negative stigma associated with them.
  3. 1 V 1 pking is all about tick abuse, swapping, combo food, and timing specials, vengeance, this is far more complicated than how pking was done back in rs2 and is not easy to pick up in the slightest. That and the prevalence of rushing puts me off from learning it when a level 40 with a gmaul can be unfair

It's not all negative, I'm sure the smaller clans have wonderful communities, and I'm sure someone will say I should not base my worldview on clans on RoT/Lit/Fools, but it's not shallow to think that they do in fact represent clans by being the biggest. I feel like I missed the golden age of clan communities and it's sad to me. The toxicity and circlejerking of the clan world really is for me, and a lot of people a deal breaker. I enjoy the non pking runescape communities I am a part of now, and I will continue to watch DMM and Youtube PK commentaries because I can enjoy PKing through them, and I hope the clan world can slowly return into being a place of community and not politics.

Point 2: It always existed to some point, but you're right it's magnified with social media and technology advances are probably a bit better decades later.

Point 3: I think you're touching on the advancements people have made in the game. Ever since Zarfot touched this game, it's turned into efficiency this, efficiency that. Is skilling not all tick manipulation? No one even did anything with 1-tick, 2-tick or even talked much about ticks a decade ago. Sure it may be in PvP, but it's all over RS in skilling and PvM in 2018.  

Also you're right about the general stereotype of clanning changing, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will always be like that. It always changes with the times and that's why we've seen vast changes over the years. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#damage.inc | DI Public CC | di-rs.net | https://discord.gg/NCgJ4dF

#14 AuxWasTaken

AuxWasTaken

• RS Name:AuxWasTaken
  • Clan:JaJa

Posted 27 March 2018 - 4:32 PM

Love clans imo

#15 Minikillers

Minikillers

Aint Dutch? Aint much!

Posted 27 June 2018 - 8:01 AM

Long, long ago I joined a pk-clan (and wondered around in them til they killed pvp), because pking and warring was the main thing people did back then. The clan members helped each other with game updates, training methods etc. The clan I was in, a lot of people, knew each other well. The game and with it, the clanlife (RS3) changed. Some call it social clans or pvm clans now... I transitioned with it in August 2017 when I returned to the game.
Joining a clan helped me understanding the new mechanics of the game as it is now and luckily the clan I'm in now has an awesome community with many events and even training events. The social aspect and the help the members give each other just like I experienced in 2002-2012 is what clanning is to me. Without it, RS, would be a lot less appealing.

former Exercitum, RDC and The Rising

The Gladiatorz

#16 Bemb

Bemb

• RS Name:Bemb
  • Clan:Revenant

Posted 28 June 2018 - 5:51 PM

IMO the only things holding back the community are pointless crash wars (even though the one my clan is in is very one-sided  :innocent: )

8ddcafeca4a7c9e4a1dd05a184288556.gif

lFGrpcJ.gif

#17 Tres Uno Dos

Tres Uno Dos

Un****wittable

Posted 28 June 2018 - 5:53 PM

I love my family and I love killing rev with them

Cutthroat Advisor | Seals Member | Silent Ember Member | Martians Member

8751c6a285582ab7af8a01828e4d1d4f.gif

#18 Drkkenny

Drkkenny

• RS Name:Drkkennyh
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 28 June 2018 - 8:39 PM

Never been a real clan before so dont expect much from me. 

twitch.tv/drkkenny

maxed jan 18 2018 osrs

feb 11th 2011 reg runescape

Drkkennyh108.png

#19 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

Other then crashwars & people who simply flame others for no reason id say the biggest turn off to people not in clans is the money part of it. They don’t see the point in buying sets just to lose them basically. That what i get out of most of the people i try to recruit.

#20 Howl

Howl

• RS Name:H0w1
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 29 June 2018 - 9:42 AM

Other then crashwars & people who simply flame others for no reason id say the biggest turn off to people not in clans is the money part of it. They don’t see the point in buying sets just to lose them basically. That what i get out of most of the people i try to recruit.

Also just the overall barriers to entry. Almost all clans have exceptionally high requirements for both levels and gear. It's hard to motivate someone new to join a clan if you tell them "well first you have to max your account, then you need 200M in sets".

The clanworld is hurting from a lack of a midsized scene in which expectations are somewhat lower.

One word, unbelievable

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: