We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Do you talk about RS IRL?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Mew Lp
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Cu Clux
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 18 August 2017 - 8:30 AM

Too much words my eyes cant handle it

are you ok with telling people you still play RS now

I'm curious, obviously when we were still in education most of us wouldn't dream of revealing that we still play to people after primary/secondary school. Unless absolutely sure whoever we were talking to wouldn't mercilessly ridicule us or played themselves too. The risk of becoming a social outcast because you weren't a CoD/Battlefield/FIFA/whatever nut (the only acceptable games if you HAD to play any) was just too great.

However, it's safe to assume that the majority of people reading this topic are now well into their 20s. Do you guys still feel a sense of shame when it comes to talking about RS, or are you happy to 'out yourself' because (let's be honest...) who really cares in the adult wold? I personally have no problem with doing so. Whether it be in front of female coworkers or whatever. In fact it's fun to play up to that because it always gets them to sigh and roll their eyes exaggeratedly. But before anyone starts to raise their eyebrows - I don't make it a habit to only talk about RS with them...it's just for the exclusive sake of banter...

:suspect:

Back to the serious talk though, my bringing it up in conversation is what actually led to the discovery that 6 guys from work still play on-and-off. Though they were a bit apprehensive to start with - they're now fully committed to OSRS (all making accounts together) and it's nice to break up the monotony of the job by swapping stories of our progress and tips to help each other out. In fact at the pub during work drinks for a girl that was leaving, two ended up having a serious discussion (that I was roped into mediating Dragon's Den style) about teaming up to make cocktails for money. :lol:

So yeah, how has everyone else fared?

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#2 Tribbyy

Tribbyy

G.O.A.T.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 9:19 AM

I went threw stages, when I first started playing I was introduced to the game from my friends at school and I would openly talk about it not caring Bc I was young, as the years went on my friends playing dropped from 12 to 4 and as I went threw high school and got involved in lacrosse and basketball I did start getting a little weird about people knowing about me playing still , now I'm older (23) and I honest couldn't give less of a **** about what people think of me and what I do on my free time. Coming from an area where literally 80% of my child hood friends either died or are hooked on herion, playing RuneScape occasionally isn't a bad thing at all lol.

#Nemesis 

SmKdi6U.png

Tribbyy#5000 on Discord

#3 TopOne1111

TopOne1111

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Top1
  • Clan:CUTTHROAT

Posted 18 August 2017 - 9:34 AM

#4 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 18 August 2017 - 9:41 AM

Aye I had the same problem during that second phase you described. If anyone asked I'd be adamant in saying I stopped playing years ago. (and sorry to read about what's happened IRL)

are you ok with telling people you still play RS now

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#5 Lavigne

Lavigne

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Wonder Woman
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 18 August 2017 - 9:57 AM

Doesn't really come up in RL conversation. When people ask what games I play RS isn't one of them, but I mention FF/WoW/SC2/ETS2/Forza etc. The reality is because I don't really play RS anymore I just log in for fights. But my girlfriend asked me yday whilst I was helping her with coursework why do you type so fast and I straight up told her the truth, a mix of me almost never writing after Year 6 (yea, I genuinely have the handwriting of a 10 year old I almost never wrote again outside of exams and some app forms)  because I had a laptop and did all my class work with it and RuneScape.

Edited by MVP, 18 August 2017 - 9:58 AM.

KrPODlD.png

xuLlzzs.png

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllll

#6 Duchess

Duchess

Danger Zone

• RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:The Red Army

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

I don't mind mentioning and talking about RuneScape in real life, even though it rarely/never ever happens. Back when I was younger a lot of my real life friends played it, and it was a semi-popular game at school especially during computer science and IT classes. It was a game easy to run in outdated school computers, requiring only Java so most people knew about it.
It was never frowned upon where I lived at least, games are games and at least my circle of friends didn't care at all about whatever games each of us enjoyed to play.
I read about a lot of people being ashamed of it, and hiding that they play or played RuneScape like it's a sin. I never understood why.

IOfxx86.png

vQpoogF.jpg

Officially retired for good as of 1/11/2017 - It was a good run. Farewell RuneScape.

#7 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

I'd say that the combination of comparatively bad graphics (even though it added to the charm), rudimentary combat system, and even name (it is kind of corny) is what did it. Hence the all too common response of "but isn't that a kid's game though?"

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

#8 Skeez

Skeez

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

ya my family knows all about me being a green dhide power ammy enthusiast on the oldschool runescape mmo

#9 D96

D96

dee nine sex

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

Personally never had and still don't have a problem at all, it's just a subject that rarely comes up into my real life conversations. If the convo eventually gets to a point of games etc then yeah I don't have a problem telling about RS at all, some people may say "hahaha **** graphics!!!" but no one really cares. I think that during childhood and the teenager period most of people got some strict "rules" as for what is social acceptable or not, and if you break it you'll be seen as a weirdo in most of the cases, but after you grow up people usually get more mature and don't care about those old rules anymore.

0nFQYiF.gif

2qudLuM.gif

#10 Gintoki

Gintoki

• RS Name:Bentoki
  • Clan:Afrobros
  • Team:zchat

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Yeah I do.

It's funny how I'll be talking about it then almost everyone I know will say "omg I remember that game", "or I used to play that game as a kid so much" then I tell them about OSRS and a few of them actually get back into the game. I tend not to care too much about what people think of me and I've only really got a few close friends so I'm generally cool with people thinking that I'm a nerd.

xD4B8ER.png

#11 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

Back in middle school I talked for 1.5 years straight with the guy sitting next to me about RS. This was 2008/9 so we mostly talked about doing quests, about Zybez (Ben_Goten78's dog avatar) and our low-level noob gains (''wait how did you gain 1m xp while I was on holiday for a week?!'').

I spoke with some guy in uni too who became a good friend, but at that point a lot of people have in-side jokes with each other so no one never noticed.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#12 Zainn

Zainn

Posted 18 August 2017 - 1:39 PM

hell no

I63VdP6.gif

WxF1MUm.gif

#13 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 18 August 2017 - 2:09 PM

but at that point a lot of people have in-side jokes with each other so no one never noticed.

This is what I love most about the situation at work now. People's confused looks when we burst out laughing at them/making a reference to the game after something just happened is to die for.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

#14 Ace

Ace

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 18 August 2017 - 3:48 PM

I'm a closet scaper for life.

Besides that I never really let my rs life/friends mix with my real life, so I wouldn't do the reverse. I don't think it's a good mix.

#15 Superwog

Superwog

Posted 18 August 2017 - 4:46 PM

Nop not even gaming. I have when some1 mentioned they play it tho.

http://jaja-rs.com/community/

[/background]

Proud Leader - #RS-Oblivion
Proud TM - #notorious

Current #JaJa

0ttERK5.png

#16 EvilVictoria

EvilVictoria

☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢

Posted 18 August 2017 - 7:30 PM

It never really comes up in conversation. I'm not ashamed that I enjoy the game at all, it just isn't something that my circle of friends and acquaintances do themselves so it isn't brought up.

Y6Bo23z.gif

ykgufJW.gif

9tTTw4a.gif

#17 Lavigne

Lavigne

• RS Name:Wonder Woman
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 18 August 2017 - 8:29 PM

I'd say that the combination of comparatively bad graphics (even though it added to the charm), rudimentary combat system, and even name (it is kind of corny) is what did it. Hence the all too common response of "but isn't that a kid's game though?"

At the time RS was popular as a kid for me, the graphics were better than almost any other browser game arguably bested only by Adventure Quest which wasn't multiplayer. However because of its' popularity amongst 10-12 year old kids, it was a game that a fair portion of people grew out of in school once you started playing sports, having your first playground girlfriend, getting other interests etc. Most people who grew up with this game from like 02-04 would have long grown out of it by around wilderness removal time because it coincides with when there were just so many better options (owning an xbox 360 for a start).

Now of course most of RS' playerbase is probably late teens/early adult lol. Kids these days don't grow up with a healthy balance of MMORPGs and footy in the park after school, they grow up with freaking iphones/ipads, dming their "links", discussing who's a "butters sket", smoking cannabis and focusing on sagging their pants and calling it swag. I got some expensive tech as a kid, but I didn't have something of the value an iPad is now when I was 4 years old.

Edited by MVP, 18 August 2017 - 8:32 PM.

KrPODlD.png

xuLlzzs.png

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllll

#18 Bactine

Bactine

Glorious Pandemonium

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Bactine
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 18 August 2017 - 9:20 PM

It never really comes up in conversation. I'm not ashamed that I enjoy the game at all, it just isn't something that my circle of friends and acquaintances do themselves so it isn't brought up.

prettty much this lol, dont have alot of friends as it is soo lol  :$

v6AYOe9.png

1GQnAhh.jpg

WPvGHL0.jpg

OHnktVA.png

#19 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 19 August 2017 - 1:02 AM

At the time RS was popular as a kid for me, the graphics were better than almost any other browser game arguably bested only by Adventure Quest which wasn't multiplayer.

Whoops, I was thinking of Warcraft and console games in comparison.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

#20 W13

W13

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:W13
  • Clan:Zybez

Posted 19 August 2017 - 2:59 AM

Me: "<conversation> RuneScape"

Friends: "What's that?"

Me: "Remember World of Warcraft?"

Friends: "No. Oh wait... that geeky, online game from like ten years ago?"

Me: "Yes. RuneScape is like that except more lame."

From what I can remember, it was embarrassing to talk about RuneScape when I was 14 and it is still embarrassing now at 30. One of the geekiest, most pimply-faced, palest guys in my school (just imagine the squeaky-voiced teen character from The Simpsons) watched over my shoulder once as I was logging into the library's computer onto these forums and he was like, "Holy crap, are you that W13 guy? I know you!" - and he kept coming up to me and asking me for advice on getting rich, while I would cringe and die from anxiety when my friends saw this and asked, "wtf does he want with you? what's he talking about?"

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: