We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

British General Election

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Harrу

Harrу

• RS Status:Oldschool
  • Team:Klopp's Reds

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

• Theresa May announces plan to call general election on 8 June
  • PM says new poll is in the national interest
  • Election is only way to guarantee certainty and stability in the wake of Brexit, May says
  • May says she came "reluctantly" to the conclusion that a vote was necessary
  • Downing Street has always denied a vote would be held before the next scheduled election in 2020
For those of you unaware:

The Conservative Party has a record 21 point lead in polls but only have a narrow MP majority in parliament. If Theresa May can gain some more MPs then rebels in her own party that are against a so-called 'hard brexit' will be nullified. Once again they're playing out in-house, party quarrels with the electorate. The Referendum itself was only given to placate hard right anti-EU Conservatives and was never expected to succeed. Polls, once again, suggest this is a risk that Theresa May has sufficient enough lead to take but in politics these days who knows.

Edited by Harrу, 18 April 2017 - 04:38 AM.

For information on Reign of Terror's latest fights and outings click here

Posted Image

#2 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• RS Name:Elysian Duck
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Curious about the outcome. I recall that last time UKIP had a huge turnout but only a marginal seat distribution due to only the winner of each district actually winning anything. Who knows, May might suffer a huge loss still though I am not sure about the popularity of other parties such as Labour.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#3 Harrу

Harrу

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

Curious about the outcome. I recall that last time UKIP had a huge turnout but only a marginal seat distribution due to only the winner of each district actually winning anything. Who knows, May might suffer a huge loss still though I am not sure about the popularity of other parties such as Labour.

UKIP were (and are) a one policy party. Their sole MP has now defected. The party set out to leave the EU and achieved that without ever having more than one MP. Their domestic policies are laughable and their foreign policy is non-existent. I can't see them playing much part in this election.

Edited by Harrу, 18 April 2017 - 04:46 AM.

Posted Image

#4 LePen2017

LePen2017

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

After the U.S election you can't really believe polls.

#5 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:28 AM

UKIP were (and are) a one policy party. Their sole MP has now defected. The party set out to leave the EU and achieved that without ever having more than one MP. Their domestic policies are laughable and their foreign policy is non-existent. I can't see them playing much part in this election.

That's an explanation for the party, but not an explanation for the largely silly British voting system through the eyes of an outsider.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#6 Harrу

Harrу

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

I think you mean after Brexit, which was a premonition of the US election polling wise.

That's an explanation for the party, but not an explanation for the largely silly British voting system through the eyes of an outsider.

Voting system isn't exactly 'silly' even if it isn't wholly democratic. You vote for your MP to represent your constituency. The MP is decided by the voters in the constituency. The party with the Majority of MPs controls Parliament. It's a pretty successful system if you look at the history of British politics.

There is a fair amount of backing for PR but the Liberal Democrats royally screwed up any chance of changes in the voting system here.

Posted Image

#7 Magick

Magick

Outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Not when the main opposition party are in a perpetual state of disarray. And, honestly, polls were never always right, even before the US elections and Brexit...

Posted Image

#8 despeers

despeers

• RS Status:Free
  • Clan:Sovereign
  • Team:Jaja

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

looks like its the age for the conservatives for both the U.S and U.K, politics will be interesting

JYOgHSq.gif

#9 AlexanderRJ

AlexanderRJ

Damnant quod non intelligunt

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

:#  :#  :#

Enjoy having an enlarged conservative parliament. They'll have their way with the Brexit negotiations, as well as everything else they've been wanting to screw up, like your healthcare system and welfare. Don't worry though, it's all for the best; this is what the people want after all.

capttoshiroh.gif
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice.
2q1rz0h.png

#10 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

:#  :#  :#

Enjoy having an enlarged conservative parliament. They'll have their way with the Brexit negotiations, as well as everything else they've been wanting to screw up, like your healthcare system and welfare. Don't worry though, it's all for the best; this is what the people want after all.

You do realize that the UK still is and will always be more important, not only economically as well as geopolitically, than your country - and admittedly mine too - right?

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

#11 AlexanderRJ

AlexanderRJ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

:#  :#  :# Enjoy having an enlarged conservative parliament. They'll have their way with the Brexit negotiations, as well as everything else they've been wanting to screw up, like your healthcare system and welfare. Don't worry though, it's all for the best; this is what the people want after all.

You do realize that the UK still is and will always be more important, not only economically as well as geopolitically, than your country - and admittedly mine too - right?

Alright, I'll bite.

What does that have to do with ANYTHING?
capttoshiroh.gif
2q1rz0h.png

#12 joshrogan

joshrogan

Unregistered Member

• RS Name:joshrogan
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:EoS

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

I'd probably vote greens if I was in the UK. They really need to switch to an alternative voting system so smaller parties have a chance.

Posted Image

#13 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

:#  :#  :# Enjoy having an enlarged conservative parliament. They'll have their way with the Brexit negotiations, as well as everything else they've been wanting to screw up, like your healthcare system and welfare. Don't worry though, it's all for the best; this is what the people want after all.

Alright, I'll bite.
Every single post about the UK of yours emits a very strong pessimistic sentiment that seems very fatalistic. Relax, UK will still have a strong(er than our) economy so let's watch and stay neutral

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

#14 Harrу

Harrу

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Relax, UK will still have a strong(er than our) economy so let's watch and stay neutral

If we come out of the single market it's not likely.

Posted Image

#15 AlexanderRJ

AlexanderRJ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:01 PM

Alright, I'll bite.
Every single post about the UK of yours emits a very strong pessimistic sentiment that seems very fatalistic. Relax, UK will still have a strong(er than our) economy so let's watch and stay neutral

It's not just the UK honestly. I'm doom n' gloom about pretty much everything, mostly because the opposition usually doesn't acknowledge the fact that their actions could cause a global meltdown. I don't know Trump will be a terrible president, but everything suggests he will be. I don't know brexit is a huge mistake, but everything suggests it is. I don't know the European Union is Europe's only real chance at relevance in the future, but everything suggests it is. I care about the world juuust enough that I get a little heated when idiots ignore the obvious. 

The size of the UK's economy is exactly why I'm more invested than normal. Even though the anti-globalists like to pretend we live in the 16th century where mercantilism is a viable economic option, I know better. The world is deeply connected, which is mostly a good thing. Trouble arises when large countries decide to screw themselves over, because they're not only screwing themselves anymore. If the UK tanks, my countrymen will feel the difference, just like we did because of the Americans in 2007.

The world is not a playground or a game. There are no quick saves or resets; just "relaxing" is not an option. There is a very real chance many of the choices western nations are making at the moment will backfire spectacularly. If nothing else, I'll want to be able to say "I told you so" when my generation of civil servants have to pick up the pieces.

capttoshiroh.gif
2q1rz0h.png

#16 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

Why is everyone crying about this, lol?... A huge deal was made about the fact May was unelected, so here's a chance to do something about it. A huge deal is made about the fact the media is conspiring against Corbyn and he is far more electable than made out, in fact the guy would apparently win easily if we actually head to the polls, so here's a chance to do something about it. Just what kind of retarded timeline am I living in where a democratic election is received with so much hysterical venom? Eg. https://www.theguard...mps-theresa-may

Clowns. :lol:

(Meanwhile, in Turkey...)

mew-lp.png

XabJkFa.png
GuthixUnder-1.png
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#17 AlexanderRJ

AlexanderRJ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Why is everyone crying about this, lol?... A huge deal was made about the fact May was unelected, so here's a chance to do something about it. A huge deal is made about the fact the media is conspiring against Corbyn and he is far more electable than made out, in fact the guy would apparently win easily if we actually head to the polls, so here's a chance to do something about it. Just what kind of retarded timeline am I living in where a democratic election is received with so much hysterical venom? Eg. https://www.theguard...mps-theresa-may

Clowns. :lol:

(Meanwhile, in Turkey...)

You don't see how the likely result of this election could be damaging to your democracy? To the likely strength of your Brexit deal?

This is one of those times where the people need to be saved from themselves. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not totally against the election, but I have ulterior motives. If May wins with as large a margin as she's set to, she'll chip away at the democratic spirit of the youth. That'll continue the trend shown below, and in 30 years time we'll be ready for something a little less... plebeian.

2637j40.png

capttoshiroh.gif
2q1rz0h.png

#18 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

The world is not a playground or a game. There are no quick saves or resets; just "relaxing" is not an option. There is a very real chance many of the choices western nations are making at the moment will backfire spectacularly. If nothing else, I'll want to be able to say "I told you so" when my generation of civil servants have to pick up the pieces.

What are you trying to say? The world is indeed not a playground, that is why experiments such as the creation of a political / monetary European union is also very dangerous. There's too many different cultural, linguistic,historical and even economic / financial differences and barriers for it to effectively work beyond a trade union. But likewise, I too firmly believe I can later tell you ''I told you so'' in case this forum still exists a few years from now on. :-P

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

#19 AlexanderRJ

AlexanderRJ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

What are you trying to say? The world is indeed not a playground, that is why experiments such as the creation of a political / monetary European union is also very dangerous. There's too many different cultural, linguistic,historical and even economic / financial differences and barriers for it to effectively work beyond a trade union. But likewise, I too firmly believe I can later tell you ''I told you so'' in case this forum still exists a few years from now on. :-P

Suuuure. The only difference is my idea is backed by nearly every person with any relevance to the academic fields of political science, economy and international relations, whilst yours is backed by the drunk guy down at the pub and my racist grandma. I think the odds are in my favor. :#

capttoshiroh.gif
2q1rz0h.png

#20 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

Suuuure. The only difference is my idea is backed by nearly every person with any relevance to the academic fields of political science, economy and international relations, whilst yours is backed by the drunk guy down at the pub and my racist grandma. I think the odds are in my favor. :#

Funny as you mention it, I recently went to a conference here (KR) and spoke with the British and Greek Ambassador and they too said an absolute merge, which is desired by many, would be very much impossible given distinct differences...can provide names to you or proof of said conference via PM if you want. :-)

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: