We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo
Answered

Hijacked account, need suggestions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Azerate2010

Azerate2010

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:48 AM

I am happy to post on this forum once more after so many years, unfortunately the circumstances which caused me to do this are not too nice... I would like to ask you dear zybez members to make a suggestion as to what I might try to recover my account.

I got into Runescape in late 2004. I was very passionate about it at that time and I played it 24/7 for about 4 years +/-. I had everything you could have in this game at that time - I was like the 90th max total player in the game. Then I started getting bored and in the end - left the game completely to play other things. However I am a person who gets attached. I never even thought about selling or giving away my account. I logged into it every couple months to see the familiar streets of Varrock, Falador and Ardougne.

Fast forward till Fall 2016. I haven't opened the game for a good couple months and then an old friend, with whom I used to play messaged me on steam that my account has its name changed - it turned out I was hacked (I have no idea how, as I am a really secure person and I never fell victim to any scam, like ever). Anyway, I started trying to recover my account and I managed to do so after a couple failed tries.

After regaining access to my account, I set a bank pin, I installed the google authenticator (and added it to my game), I connected my facebook to the account...everything I could do to secure it.

Fast forward again, yesterday another friend of mine decided to do a nostalgia trip into Runescape, which once again reminded me to log in to the game. And that is when I found it's been hacked - AGAIN. The e-mail I see as the one they want to send me the password is not mine clearly. What's more, it appears that my recovery questions were changed by the hacker...

I have all the other information apart from the new recovery questions (obviously). Tried appealing 3 times now, and NOTHING. Denied. Denied. Denied.

What else can I do? In the end the authenticator nor facebook profile, didn't do jack ****. I can't get into my own, 13 effing year old account just because some jackass somehow managed to hack me once and purchase membership on my account.

Any ideas at all how I could recover my account now? I'm so sad to lose it, even though I haven't been playing since 2009 at all.

PS. The info I have is pretty much this:
my 3 old passwords

last 4 digits of the credit card which I used to purchase recurring 1month sub (for 4 years continously)

creation date of the account

Maybe there's something I could put into "other" to sway them?

PS2. The google authenticator for the account is sitll installed on my mobile phone and shows the code for my account, not sure if this helps

Edited by Azerate2010, 10 February 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear of this mess you're in mate. I'm currently at work so unable to offer any proper advice, but for the time being I'll move this thread to Questions so it gets more attention from people. Best of luck boss. :-/

mew-lp.png

XabJkFa.png
GuthixUnder-1.png
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#3 Azerate2010

Azerate2010

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

didnt ask for ur life story btw

Thanks, you reminded me how I used to be as a 12 year old when I started playing this game - oh wait, no I wasn't littering threads of people with legitimate issues with my whining.

#4 Pkpete

Pkpete

TUP at heart

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

didnt ask for ur life story btw

Thanks, you reminded me how I used to be as a 12 year old when I started playing this game - oh wait, no I wasn't littering threads of people with legitimate issues with my whining.

I don't mean this in a mean way, and there are individuals on these forums who would love to jump on this as an opportunity to shut me up, but a lot of individuals who still play this game have absolutely stunted social skills.

Try to contact their customer service team via twitter. I've heard a lot of people have had luck with that.

Ex Warlord of Tup - 37 - 0 war record.
Founder, and leader of 3xtermination start to finish. Rest in Peace 3xtermination.
Damage Inc Cannon Fodder
Founder/ Head Advisor of Legacy. Rip Legacy.
Ex Warlord of Dark Dragon Breath.

Ex Leader of Buffalo Soldiers
Moses of Rot
Premier of Red Army. http://ra-rs.pw to fight for the Motherland!
Edit October 14th: Oh, what became of the likely lads? What became of the dreams we had? What became of forever? Oh what became of forever, we'll never know.

#5 Dox17

Dox17

Verified ✓

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

Twitter and reddit are your best options. Try to give them as much information about the account as possible such as previous passwords and locations of where you logged in. 

Good luck.

stop deleting my posts i have rights

B6vtfW6.png

Original DI Join Date: March 4 2006, 12:51 PM

#6 Azerate2010

Azerate2010

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Thank you, I will definitely try that then. Didn't realize you could contact support in a different way other than through the main site, a lot has changed since 2009 it seems

#7 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

To regain access to the account you'll have to contact Jagex whether it's through an appeal, twitter, etc.

I believe the point of the authenticator is even if someone else has your password they cannot login without entering the code from authenticator. If this is a continuing issue you may want to review your other accounts security since it seems likely someone else would have to gain access to your Google account and/or email.

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#8 Torreoria

Torreoria

UNC Official

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Try the RS Forums for information. Quick find code: 408-409-21-65732998

Good luck

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://zt-rs.com fc: ZT Lobby SwiftIRC: #zt-lobby

#9 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

• RS Status:Free

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Submit an appeal with all the info in the other box, then tweet them (possibly a few times) to get them to actually read it - they should be able to match it up and verify you as the original owner, or ask for more information if needed.

Need any RS help? PM me in-game (PM *always* on!) or here and I'll do my best to either help out or point you in the right direction. Don't be shy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Azerate2010

Azerate2010

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Successful finally. Somehow after talking to them on twitter the appeal magically worked with the exact same info as before :) I recovered it before the bank pin was cancelled too (even though there's nothing left of value in that bank cause someone stole everything the first time when I didn't have any pin).

I'm still worried that this will happen again. Unfortunately the recovery system still works like in the old days (once a hacker gets the account and purchases membership, you are ****ed, pretty much). I can only hope he got bored and won't do it again - though that's what I thought a couple months ago.

I also had a displeasure of finding out that they removed the "last logged from IP..." information, which would help me a lot. I'm suspecting this might be a psycho from my past days in RS...

Thanks everyone for help again. RS is still a place where the best assistance you can get is from the community :)

#11 Scaphe

Scaphe

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Successful finally. Somehow after talking to them on twitter the appeal magically worked with the exact same info as before :) I recovered it before the bank pin was cancelled too (even though there's nothing left of value in that bank cause someone stole everything the first time when I didn't have any pin).

I'm still worried that this will happen again. Unfortunately the recovery system still works like in the old days (once a hacker gets the account and purchases membership, you are ****ed, pretty much). I can only hope he got bored and won't do it again - though that's what I thought a couple months ago.

I also had a displeasure of finding out that they removed the "last logged from IP..." information, which would help me a lot. I'm suspecting this might be a psycho from my past days in RS...

Thanks everyone for help again. RS is still a place where the best assistance you can get is from the community :)

gratz

#12 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

They removed that for people's own security I think - otherwise, any potential hacker knows your IP address the first time they log in and there is a good chance that information is void. Anyway I'm glad to hear that you successfully recovered your account.

Need any RS help? PM me in-game (PM *always* on!) or here and I'll do my best to either help out or point you in the right direction. Don't be shy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Chuffa

Chuffa

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

Hi, hopefully you read this because I'm in the same boat, trying to recover my old account. Who did you tweet? 

Posted Image

#14 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Hi, hopefully you read this because I'm in the same boat, trying to recover my old account. Who did you tweet? 

Most likely @JagexSupport, try that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Ile

Ile

Is this mandatory?

• RS Name:Noetavaeno

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 AM

https://support.rune...ons-and-answers

I managed to get recovery questions reset by submitting the form from that page when my old account was hacked. They were set by someone else too so I had no knowledge of the answers. Hopefully you get them reset as well.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: