We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo
- - - - -
OSRS

The ability to wield simple tools.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hey everyone, one of the biggest petty annoyances I have is simple tools taking up an inventory slot when using it. Hammers, chisels, fishing gear, when you want to do something fast it gets in the way, banking is slower because you don't want to deposit all, and you lose one or more potential inventory spot to what I consider an outdated mechanic.

I suggest the following items, but not limited to to be able to be equippable with the same functionality as the item in your bags

• Hammer
  • Chisel
  • Knife
  • Spade
  • Fishing equipment
  • Shield slot saw for construction
  • Shears
  • Pestle and Mortor
  • All farming equipment.

I would not give any of the items combat stats, and items like the spade would look smaller and different than the treasure trail variant. That or equippable tools could be a treasure trail reward.

That is my quick idea, what do you think?

7cNTC8v.png

#2 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

Well there's the tool belt on RS3 which allows you to have certain items such as these and they take neither inventory or equipment slots. Very similar, slightly more convenient. Why not just have that transferred over to OSRS?

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#3 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

I agree with spoon. Assuming this passes the player poll - why not do it properly? Or is this 'simplyfing the game too much' altogether? Honestly I think this would be cool regardless for aesthetic outfit-creation or experimentation reasons lol.

mew-lp.png

XabJkFa.png
GuthixUnder-1.png
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#4 I Love You

I Love You

Forever. ♥

• RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Divine Forces

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

I personally wouldn't mind it although I don't think it'd pass the poll. Whenever it's suggested on like threads or rsforums, seems to have at least half/majority of the people seem to not want it added.

As for the OSmods stances on it, even though this Q&A was almost a year ago, they seemed to shut down the idea pretty quick. On another Q&A 2 years ago or so, when someone asked for the Coin Pouch, they said "It useful, but it's a very big developers job. It's a similar situation to the toolbelt issue." 

Edited by I Love You, 02 February 2017 - 02:01 PM.

I wish it is always You. Only You and I.

4uF1y.png

Forums | 'True 2k8' Clanchat | @DivineForces | YouTube | #DF @ SeersIRC | Memberlist

hoW5M5P.gif

#5 Grab bin

Grab bin

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

From what they said previously, they had to rewrite everything that uses a tool on the toolbelt/is equipped on your character, which is why it's highly unlikely to see those on OSRS. 

5WlYBIC.png

#Tyras Gang or die.

#6 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

I guess then that Manga's idea is a happy compromise? Specifically, winning these from (Easy) TTs? Perhaps if they were untradeable too it wouldn't bother the community as much.

mew-lp.png

XabJkFa.png
GuthixUnder-1.png
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#7 Gintoki

Gintoki

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

I personally wouldn't mind it although I don't think it'd pass the poll. Whenever it's suggested on like threads or rsforums, seems to have at least half/majority of the people seem to not want it added.

As for the OSmods stances on it, even though this Q&A was almost a year ago, they seemed to shut down the idea pretty quick. On another Q&A 2 years ago or so, when someone asked for the Coin Pouch, they said "It useful, but it's a very big developers job. It's a similar situation to the toolbelt issue." 

It came up in this weeks livestream and they said the same thing, basically when you do something that requires a hammer the game searches for the hammer in your inventory not for a hammer on your character so they'd have to go through everything in the game that uses all these tools and change the code.

#8 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

I wanted to avoid the toolbelt since I wanted the items to be more tangible, not that I don't like the RS3 toolbelt. I think this works better for oldschool.

7cNTC8v.png

#9 Bow

Bow

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

I'd like to see it done.

Builds off of the whole being able to wield harpoons in the game to fish so why not expand it a little bit to other skills.

1QdnOee.png

#10 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:52 AM

I forgot about barb-tailed harpoons. Why not build on that and let players create equivalents for the other tools providing they have the right skilling requirements? Isn't this another way to bypass the 'search' issue?

mew-lp.png

XabJkFa.png
GuthixUnder-1.png

#11 Cedar Knight

Cedar Knight

• RS Name:Cedar Knight
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

I would rather see them put their dev time into something else personally. Although I did enjoy the tool belt back in RS3 when I still played that.

#12 Ace

Ace

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

Would be really nice, this reminds me of when stealing creation came into the game and how one of the benefits of having the items was the fact that you could wield them as you used them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: