We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Best And Worst Years In Runescape.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Spikedude35

Spikedude35

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:51 AM

Like many other MMORPG's, Runescape has had it's fair share of good and bad moments. From the removal of the wilderness, the EOC update, and the Falador massacre. Some of these updates have had an absolutely huge impact on the game. Runescape has also had it's good moments as well such as legacy update, return of the wilderness, and others.

Below is a list in my opinion of the best and worst years in Runescape.

Worst Years

1. 2008

The removal of the wilderness in December of 2007 along with removal of free trade soon after made many players quit and others questioned the direction of the game. 2008 was also the mark of a new era in Runescape with the HD graphics, Summoning, the Grand Exchange and the wilderness being converted into a unattackable place full of revenants. This made many players begin to complain and drift away as Runescape was changing in ways they werne't used to. You also have to remember that players were still getting used to still the removal of the wilderness at this time. Also the highly anticipated PvP worlds didn't come out till 2009. 2008 was also the year is when the playerbase began to decline as well. All in all, 2008 wasn't a good year for Runescape.

2. 2013

The playerbase was at an all time low and the future of Runescape was questioned in 2013 as a result of the EOC update back in late 2012. PvP took the hardest hit as many angered pkers switched over to OSRS when it was released in February of 2013. Minigames that were previously active had been left ghosted towned such as Soul Wars, purple portal clan wars, stealing creation, fist of guthix, and others.

The new year of 2013 started off great but the coming of summer caused the playerbase to take a nose dive which saw many players quit. By the end of 2013, Runescape's playerbase was at an all time low which to this day, is still unmatched.

2013 was the worst year in Runescape in terms of playerbase count and the end of the year left many in question about the future of the game.

Best Years

1. 2006

2006 was when Runescape was considered to be in it's prime at least in terms of popularity. Many kids at your school probably played and talked about Runescape. Almost every kid tried out Runescape at least once during this time. This was the year when many people started to play for the first time.

This itself makes it one of the best years in Runescape because of it's popularity back in the mid 2000s.

2. 2009 and 2010

Players were now used to the removal of the wilderness and there was still an active enough playerbase in 2010 that the game was still fun. Soul Wars was active, revenant hunting became a thing, house parties were still going strong, 1 iteming bounty world attendence was plentiful, and i'm sure PvM was popular as well, not to mention the kickass 2010 halloween event where you got to fight j mods who turned into zombies! 2010 was a good year because whether you were into pvp, pvm, or skilling, there was an active enough playerbase to where you could have fun doing whatever you wanted. This was the best year of the Runescape HD era 2008-November 2012

The high anticipated restoration of the wilderness in 2011 brought many players back but also caused rev hunting, 1 iteming worlds, to dissapear.

3. 2014

​After a disastrous 2013, the future of the game was put into question. PvP was considered dead in the main game and the OSRS playerbase was in a major decline. Jagex knew something had to be done so they responded by releasing the legacy update in the summer of 2014 which introduced the old combat system back to Runescape 3. Immediately, previously unused pvp spots became popular again for the rest of 2014 such as Clan Wars, Soul Wars, and others.

Mod MMG was also let go at the end of this year and even though he seemed like a nice guy, he was responsible for all of the stupid ass updates all throughout 2008 to 2013 that led to many players quitting. 2014 was finally the year where Jagex got it through their heads that changing a major aspect of a game, especially if it's pvp related is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Unfortunately they realized this AFTER they lost a good portion of their playerbase.

The legacy update, along with making OSRS F2P in early 2015 saved Runescape. Had Jagex never implemented any of these, 2015 could have been Runescape's last year in business. Therefore 2014 is one of the better years in Runescape because of the legacy update.

4. 2017

After taking my time machine to the year 2017, I was surprised to find out that OSRS had overtaken Runescape 3 as the most popular game. Runescape 3 had increased the level cap to 120 and got rid of the FFA portal at Clan Wars and as a result caused many angry players to switch over to OSRS.

OSRS in 2017 now has 65k active players during the summer compared to Runescape 3's laughable 20k. Soul Wars was released to the game at an unknown time and is fairly active, the previously cancelled continent Zeah was fully released in September, and Clan Wars and Duel Arena are the hotspots for F2P interaction and pvp. New features were also added such as a new mini-game where a group of up to 25 players had to survives hordes of NPCS and whom ever was the last alive or survived all 15 waves was the winner.

Clan Wars now has the option of up to 4 fc's fighting each other in one game and two fc's also had the option of being an "ally" so Clan Wars could literally be 200 vs 200 or 100 vs 100 vs 100 vs 100 maximum. This led to some pretty epic large scale wars.. During my trip to 2017, I stayed with my self from the future and together, we fought in a 45 vs 51 vs 36 war that was absolutely badass! You've never experienced Clan Wars until you've fight in a triple battle! I even made it to the top 7 on my team and got the fight all recorded as well. Unfortunately the tape was corrupted so I am unable to upload it to Youtube to show it.

So for all of you Clan Wars lovers out there, 2017 is going to be a hell of a year for you so stick around.

Edited by Spikedude35, 30 January 2016 - 1:38 PM.

#2 Devil King93

Devil King93

Posted 31 October 2015 - 3:14 AM

BEST

My personal was 2007/2008
adapting to the limited trade and removal of wilderness. Smacking people in BH craters (mainly high level crater) and watching pk vids from YouBleedRed, Spartacus121, etc

2013 was also a good year - grinding osrs and getting back into the clanning community

WORST

went sort of down hill like 2010-2012
didnt really find much to do on the game and took long periods of breaks (months to months). came back for a bit in 2012 and then eoc came out

#3 Travis*

Travis*

❊ Since 2003 ❊

• RS Name:Tr avis|Trvi
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

2006 When they banned one of the greatest players alive.

2013 when EOC came out lmao.

61jnmff.png

h2RIXvB.pngeOGYt61.pngj6KcBCY.png
- Active Oldschool Pure
- Fc at CMB47
- Slayer addict
- 4 Skill Cape

-Feel free to message
me if you need any help.

#4 SonnyMoore

SonnyMoore

Sonny Bunny

• RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Authority
  • Team:Penguins

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

I think there's another topic somewhere in the mist that is very similar to this one, but I personally enjoyed 2005-2006 and will consider it as the best time for Runescape and the worst year(s) 2007,2010,2012.
Posted Image

#5 Utsuro

Utsuro

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Utsuro
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 02 November 2015 - 1:06 AM

Runescape 3 had increased the level cap to 120 and got rid of the FFA portal at Clan Wars and as a result caused many angry players to switch over to OSRS.

Wait why would us RS3 players give a **** about clan wars being removed? They could probably do it right now and 99% of the user base wouldn't even realize its gone. If you're going to be stuck in your EOC/RS3 circlejerk today, three years after EOC came out at least look up a few real problems to insult us with like "the MTX went too far" or something.

Also, you really should not want RS3 to decline considering how much $$ they pump into the game via Solomon's and MTX promos and ****. Allot more then OSRS's simple subscription fee. You don't want IVP turning towards OSRS with its MTX do you?

#6 Spikedude35

Spikedude35

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:12 PM

Runescape 3 had increased the level cap to 120 and got rid of the FFA portal at Clan Wars and as a result caused many angry players to switch over to OSRS.

Wait why would us RS3 players give a **** about clan wars being removed? They could probably do it right now and 99% of the user base wouldn't even realize its gone. If you're going to be stuck in your EOC/RS3 circlejerk today, three years after EOC came out at least look up a few real problems to insult us with like "the MTX went too far" or something.

Also, you really should not want RS3 to decline considering how much $$ they pump into the game via Solomon's and MTX promos and ****. Allot more then OSRS's simple subscription fee. You don't want IVP turning towards OSRS with its MTX do you?

Hey man it's the future. Unless time is somehow altered, that's how it's going to turn out.

#7 Crispys iron

Crispys iron

Posted 05 November 2015 - 5:17 AM

I think the best years were defined by the community's attitude. Back when everyone loved to "xp waste" in castle wars was an amazing time. (2005-2007)

#8 Mzureich5501

Mzureich5501

• RS Name:Mzureich5501
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 07 November 2015 - 5:34 PM

Since I joined in 2008, I think that 2008-2009 were the best years. The worst had to be 2013. EoC completely ruined the game for me and since OSRS and Darkscape, I only play on those since they lack EoC features.
Posted Image

#9 Dkrypt

Dkrypt

• RS Name:Dkrypt
  • Team:OG <3

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

'04 here, best right up until wildy removal 07.

Everything went downhill from there, and it's been a scramble trying not to die off ever since.

djGiyIy.jpg

solider_of_silence_by_alphabeat.png

#10 KingDio

KingDio

• RS Name:Zylox

Posted 17 November 2015 - 5:21 PM

2007 best year, 2015 worthyear

#11 cedriko

cedriko

Posted 18 November 2015 - 8:04 AM

2008 when i started until like 2010 then the trade limit sopon came bounty hunter etc, and is tarted to get annoyed by this game

#12 Roma

Roma

• Clan:The Titans

Posted 18 November 2015 - 2:46 PM

Best years: 2006-2008.
2006-2007 the game had everything that was needed. It was fun pking, there weren't that many tryhards.
2008 - even after the wilderness got removed the crator was something, that i miss nowdays, it was unique in its own way and very active.
Worst years 2011+ its pretty obvious why.

#13 Smk

Smk

Ohooo

• Rating: < -5 | -2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Smk

Posted 18 November 2015 - 5:58 PM

i wanna say removal of wildy in 2007 killed all my desire to play the game, but that isn't true. I immensely enjoyed bounty hunter when i was in Reign of Terror. the BH crater was awesome - that is until they made it so the whole crater wasn't multi. that ruined it for me.

best i wanna say would be 2004-2006 for me - the game was new to me and everything felt epic. got heavy into clans and it opened up a whole new part of the game for me. didnt really play at all after 2009-2010 or so. i recently rebought mems and am grinding out div, but no real motivation to play. key-scape/fashionscape and the flood of threads starting with "can we get" on reddit begging for bs convenience/"ninja" fixes. bleh.

#14 Isndar

Isndar

ガーランド

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Isndar
  • Clan:Unity
  • Team:Malaysia

Posted 19 November 2015 - 3:31 PM

Since this is a matter of opinion, I may cause some dissatisfaction opinion so I hope you guys will not take this opinion too seriously

I won't really bother inputting details in each year so here I go

Nature of a God Tier
Spoiler

God Tier
Spoiler

High Tier
Spoiler

Mid Tier
Spoiler

Low Tier
Spoiler

edit - I forgot to mention 2013 by adding OSRS into the game but I didn't bother anything past 2012 updates do I missed anything related about RS for the past 3 years plus.

Edited by M1 Garrand, 19 November 2015 - 3:34 PM.

E22ffGu.png
Stalking CDRSC 'low-fi' since 2004
Council | High Council | Warlord | Co-Leader | Leader
Currently Playing OSRS casually under the RSN - Isndar (level-125)
99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hitpoints | 97 Prayer
Leader of Unity | Malaysia's RS Community Clan

#15 clackork

clackork

Posted 29 December 2015 - 9:37 PM

2011-2012 was the best days for me. <3

#16 Evilempire 13

Evilempire 13

Posted 31 December 2015 - 7:40 AM

2003-2006 was the best. I have a feeling 2016 will be a good one too.

Worst year is when EOC came out.

yQ7CjYI.png

EvilEmpire13 (Level-126)

#17 Kenny

Kenny

Mars

• RS Name:Mars
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

Best years (for me) were probably between 2005-2007. Worst (for me) was probably the release of EoC and onwards.

Although with the release of 07 servers, RuneScape has brought back some nostalgia and made things a bit more interesting.

Posted Image

#18 Brainwasher5

Brainwasher5

Posted 01 January 2016 - 3:06 AM

I always thought it was hilarious that Jagex released a statement after the removal of old wild in 2008 claiming that their playerbase is as robust as ever, presumably while sweating buckets watching their subscriptions dropped like stones.

And now with the splitting of the community into RS3 and OSRS...I don't think it's a good move. Your MMOs are at their most fun when there's a lot of people playing them. They should have transitioned fully back into OSRS or bitten the bullet and stuck with RS3. Instead we have two very small, arguably dwindling communities. It's the same reason why Guild Wars 2 fell to pieces and why Blizzard is wisely not making another MMO even though WoW is over a decade old.

2007-2008 RS was the best for me, I had a fun pking clan which was organized and friendly. Worst (barring my unfair ban late in 2015) was right after the wildy pking removal all the way until it was reinstated, but the damage was already done and most of the players had moved on to greener pastures.

Edited by Brainwasher5, 01 January 2016 - 3:08 AM.

#19 Out

Out

Forsaken

• Clan:Renegades
  • Team:Silent Ember

Posted 01 January 2016 - 7:15 AM

Best: 2006 - PKing.
Worst: 2007 - removal of wilderness.

Can't comment on 2007 onwards as I didn't play for years, I did come back briefly to try Eoc and that wasn't great.

Ob11Jxh.png

#20 Nodari

Nodari

LFC Club

• Clan:Violent Resolution

Posted 01 January 2016 - 7:17 AM

Removal of the 2008 bounty hunter and introduction of Clan wars. What a boring few months it was. I gotta admit i disliked BHR at first but in the end got used to it and really enjoyed our daily run-ins with EOS

Posted Image

"Love Liverpool, Hate United"

Violent Resolution Since day 1 And Still Counting

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: