We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

When do you think Runescape will shut down?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Runescape shutting down

When do you think Runescape will shut down?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When do you think Old School Runescape will shut down?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you think you will still be playing Runescape when it is about to shut down?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spikedude35

Spikedude35

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Everything must come to an end eventually. There will come a day when Jagex has to shut Runescape down. When do you think Runescape will be shut down?

Edited by Spikedude35, 23 February 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#2 Arceus

Arceus

Dr. Pengy

• RS Status:Free

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think it has enough steam to go on for years, assuming Jagex doesn't keep squandering money on other projects. At least, I hope it's around for a while! I'd have to vote 5-10 years as the most likely option though.

Need any RS help? PM me in-game (PM *always* on!) or here and I'll do my best to either help out or point you in the right direction. Don't be shy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Ross

Ross

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Realistically in around 10 years, if the game starts to trend further down in subscriptions they will reduce staff and the amount of content added and realistically OSRS is already run on a skeleton team but could get by with even fewer staff.

Posted Image

Forums | 'True 2k8' Clanchat | @DivineForces | YouTube | #DF @ SeersIRC | Memberlist

#4 Doom Of Gods

Doom Of Gods

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

It's been 14 years heres to another 15 years

#5 Lavapheonix2

Lavapheonix2

Perhaps

• RS Status:Member
  • Team:magebank

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

I considered the game dead when they implemented Evolution of Combat. Was to much of a game changer from the runescape we all grew up with and drove a substantial member base away from the game completely. The mere fact they had to add an additional server(old school), and an alternative way of combat(legacy mode) on rs3 shows how lost this game is now.

If we're being practical, the game will go on for several more years but as far as people actively playing it, numbers will consistently drop down

Stealing another clan's signature is against the rules. Don't put it back. - Yorick

#6 I R0bust I

I R0bust I

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

all good things must come to an end :(. will miss you my runescape brothers and sisters.

#7 Spikedude35

Spikedude35

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostLavapheonix2, on 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

I considered the game dead when they implemented Evolution of Combat. Was to much of a game changer from the runescape we all grew up with and drove a substantial member base away from the game completely. The mere fact they had to add an additional server(old school), and an alternative way of combat(legacy mode) on rs3 shows how lost this game is now.

If we're being practical, the game will go on for several more years but as far as people actively playing it, numbers will consistently drop down

I actually thought that the legacy brought back some pvpers. It revived the pvp community at least for a while. I think the pvp community is the most affected in RS3.

As for OSRS, it has roughly half of the playerbase that RS3 has. It's just too small to support a diverse of players. You will like OSRS the most if you're into wildy pking.

#8 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

I give it 5 years for everything to die out. The F2P thing is just showing they are desperate to get new players into the game which it has but will only spark up for a bit. Nothing that i see lasting long term atleast.

#9 Lavapheonix2

Lavapheonix2

Perhaps

• Team:magebank

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostSpikedude35, on 23 February 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

View PostLavapheonix2, on 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

I actually thought that the legacy brought back some pvpers. It revived the pvp community at least for a while. I think the pvp community is the most affected in RS3.

As for OSRS, it has roughly half of the playerbase that RS3 has. It's just too small to support a diverse of players. You will like OSRS the most if you're into wildy pking.
obviously OSRS won't have the playbase RS3 has and probably never will. People that still play RS3 have been attached to the game for several years and it's easy to assume they are at the point where they've invested so much time and effort just to move on completely or transfer to 07scape. I think its safe to assume most of the people still actively playing rs3 are more of a skiller/pvm type of player opposed to Osrs pking etc.

Stealing another clan's signature is against the rules. Don't put it back. - Yorick

#10 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

The game has been stable the last few years, however I don't think Jagex can afford another mistake with Rs3. I give it 5 years at least because of the loyalty of the community.

0vjB8Du.png

Platforms I also play on.

Xbox: Scraps Of Manga | Playstation MangaScraps

Steam: manga_scraps | Battle.Net: Manga#1499

Nintendo ID: Manga_Scraps | 3DS: 2578-3137-9250

#11 Blurple

Blurple

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

in 2004 people were saying Runescape was going downhill. In 2008 people said Runescape was going downhill. In 2011 people said Runescape was going downhill. Why should it be any different now? For all we know, Runescape could last another 14 years, i doubt anyone thought this game would last as long as it has up to this point.

Edited by Blurple, 27 March 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#12 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostBlurple, on 27 March 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

in 2004 people were saying Runescape was going downhill. In 2008 people said Runescape was going downhill. In 2011 people said Runescape was going downhill. Why should it be any different now? For all we know, Runescape could last another 14 years, i doubt anyone thought this game would last as long as it has up to this point.
Let's be fair.
In 2007/8 and 2012 (aftermath of the Wilderness and Free Trade removal, and Evolution of Combat respectively) The game was massively hemorrhaging members. Right now with the release of OSRS and it going F2P, the game has since stabilized. People may not like the direction of micro transactions, but the game is not suffering massive subscription losses anymore.

However the room for growth is small with the bad reputation of the game, and the lack of interest in new players in this generation of gaming, the end of the game is sooner than later, but we are nowhere near the point of diminishing returns for this rather niche game yet.

Edited by Manga, 27 March 2015 - 01:49 PM.

0vjB8Du.png

Platforms I also play on.

Xbox: Scraps Of Manga | Playstation MangaScraps

Steam: manga_scraps | Battle.Net: Manga#1499

Nintendo ID: Manga_Scraps | 3DS: 2578-3137-9250

#13 XxVervanda

XxVervanda

• RS Name:XxVervanda
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

Well the thing is, the eoc thing attracts the younger players and OSRS attracts older players, I think his game if ran right can go for another 40 years if they can find a way to lure all the younger kids to the game. I am going to get called dumb for this, but its what I think.
PM me here or on Runescape If you need anything!
But be careful, Dragons do bite -growls at-

#14 Awesome_Days

Awesome_Days

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

j mods have hinted that contracts come to a close around 2022
showing them who is truly 'most hated' c:  IsoAwesomedorable
Current 20v20 P2p Jagex Cup Champion
Current 20v20 F2p Jagex Cup Champion

#15 Warp Nine

Warp Nine

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

I'd have to give RS another 5 years if they're lucky. The playerbase has been dwindling for awhile, if they can turn that around they may survive. I hope I'm not still playing when it's shut down; that'd be heartbreaking, but I probably will be.

Posted Image
Click the picture above to see my achievements thread!

#16 Micael Fatia

Micael Fatia

Suum Cuique

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Probably never. It'll continue losing popularity until it eventually reaches a point maintaining the game will stop being viable for Jagex, but the game itself will live on as a permanently free game with no updates or end up being bought and hosted by a wealthy fan or group of fans interested in carrying RuneScape alive in a non-profit manner.
The game has gained too much popularity (or was too popular in the past to word it in a different manner) for it to just die and disappear completely.

Posted Image

#17 Yoto32

Yoto32

Any tree can drop an apple: I'll drop the freakin' moon.

• RS Name:Yoto
  • Clan:Dark Slayers

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

The era of MMORPGs is over: fewer and fewer mmos are being made (yea, I found a research paper about it). The tl;dr of the paper is that mmorpgs are expensive to make and maintain, which means engines for the games are being reused. With similar game designs there's no incentive for players to leave their old game to play a new one, which is pretty much the reason why WoW is still the most popular mmorpg: why restart on a clone when you already have all the gear on WoW? Runescape probably won't be getting any significant new players, but what it does have is a solid, devoted playerbase due to its unique skill and quest content.

The counter to this is that eventually as players reach high level content, they'll eventually become bored because they've done everything. The solution to this is coming out with new high level content, which is what Jagex has been doing (raids, anyone?) So the question remains, when will Jagex stop making updates, and when they do, how long will they leave the servers up? Honestly I have no idea about the former, but when it comes to the servers it's a very low maintenance cost to keep a couple up and still have subscription money rolling in, much like they do with RS1. Even a decade later- which in internet time might as well be an eternity- there are still a couple hundred people playing RS1. So no, I don't think they'd ever shut down the servers, short of a total societal collapse, which is a different discussion altogether.
There She Is, Scott Pilgrim, Homestuck
Posted Image
Posted Image
Senior Moderator | Proud Ex-Leader of Aftermath

Yeah but what I talk about is complete nonsense the vast majority of it

#18 W13

W13

• RS Name:W13
  • Clan:Zybez

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

I agree with Yoto. Also, I wonder if MMORPGs will be cheaper to maintain in the future with the reducing costs of processing power and bandwidth. Or, if they will be more expensive thanks to higher production costs with bigger and higher quality games.I dont think MMORPGs will disappear altogether, but they will undergo a revolution... imo, it will come with the move from PC to virtual reality (like oculus rift). So MMORPGs just need to adapt to that new interface.

#19 Yoto32

Yoto32

Any tree can drop an apple: I'll drop the freakin' moon.

• RS Name:Yoto
  • Clan:Dark Slayers

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostW13, on 20 August 2015 - 12:23 AM, said:

I agree with Yoto. Also, I wonder if MMORPGs will be cheaper to maintain in the future with the reducing costs of processing power and bandwidth. Or, if they will be more expensive thanks to higher production costs with bigger and higher quality games.I dont think MMORPGs will disappear altogether, but they will undergo a revolution... imo, it will come with the move from PC to virtual reality (like oculus rift). So MMORPGs just need to adapt to that new interface.
The problem with new MMORPGs are that they require a ton of resources to make: You need artists, programmers, game designers, and years of development -years that could very well mean higher expectations and better, more efficient game engines that might require you to scrap your project and start all over again! It's an incredibly risky investment. But once you already have that, like Runescape does? Then it's just a matter of how much it costs to maintain a server versus how much you get back in memberships. Let's assume that Runescape decades down the line is analogous to how RS1 is right now. Right now there are about 22k members playing Runescape, with 2.0 million members on the high scores, so we can assume that 1.1% of the playerbase is playing at the moment. Right now there are 130 people playing RS1, so I estimate that there are roughly 12,000 people still paying for RS1 membership. At $8/month, that's still $1.1 mil a year for basically no work. Assuming you already have the servers, your operating costs are electricity and the building you house the servers in, which is a couple thousand per year, tens of thousands at most. It's absolutely profitable to keep them running as long as you can.
There She Is, Scott Pilgrim, Homestuck
Posted Image
Posted Image
Senior Moderator | Proud Ex-Leader of Aftermath

Yeah but what I talk about is complete nonsense the vast majority of it

#20 Purple

Purple

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

I don't think it will shut down completely but i think it will get to the point (guessing within 10 or so years) where they will abandon working on new content etc and just have the servers running for the die-hard players provided that can still make enough revenue to keep the wheels turning.

wRg3Mj3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: