Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-11-30 at 21:10. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

RuneScape Tournament?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarklordAndi

DarklordAndi

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Darklord1848
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Damage Inc

Posted 03 November 2014 - 7:05 AM

League of Legends first prize: 1-6m +

Dota 2: 8m+ and growing

Call of duty: 250k-2m+

Should Jagex introduce a RL cash reward for "clans" or "1V1 Hybrids" during the next Jagex cup? Such as a 5 or 10 grand prize awarded to the clan, or individual. Would be good to see 20v20 or Full-out fights where people actually care about winning hard. Besides RL cash rewards they could also do In game benefits for the winning clan - Not just a crappy emblem on Edgeville bank wall (or pay for the clans website for 2 yrs or something)

Could even do smaller fights, 5v5 Hybrids.

Or is it 1 giant waste of effort considering LOL/DOTA/COD all have 1m+ daily players and jagex only 50k ?

-If not real life money, something in game that has some effort put into it, not just a sign.

Edited by DarklordAndi, 03 November 2014 - 7:15 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Christhetics

Christhetics

The Kings

Posted 03 November 2014 - 7:09 AM

Jagex are too stubborn and barely ever listen to what the players want, If they did then lots of clans who have closed would be alive today, So i doubt they will ever give out any sort of prize money lol, If they would of listened to us years ago they would have more players by now and doing that would of been maybe a possiblilty

#3 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Mew Lp
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Cu Clux
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 03 November 2014 - 7:29 AM

Moved to General Discussion. :-)

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#4 Nullusion

Nullusion

Fashion Nugget

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

I doubt Jagex will ever give out cash rewards for anything. It's still against the rules to real-world-trade so it's hard to imagine any other reward being possible other than their little statues/trophies they put in various parts of the game.

uEoiIpc.png

#5 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Leader

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

It would be a good idea in theory but considering we've seen how Jagex set up tournaments, can't see it being successful. Add in the possibility of DDoSing and it would really never work.

Mike|Cera_S6
Violent Resolution Leader - VR Discord
Team Trinity Member
1geuK.jpg
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13) | Frozen Fury Member (16)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Adversity Warlord (15 - 17) | Flip Flops Member (16) | Elusive Member (16/17) | Immaculate Senior (17) | Team Trinity Member (18 - Present) | Revolt Warlord (18)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Leader (06 - Present)

Eg1XIjr.pngqvDrX9K.png

ushLGon.pngmxPeorR.png

#6 Kevin.

Kevin.

Make it count

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 03 November 2014 - 1:33 PM

The difference between those games that you listed there and clan fights is that clan fights feature many, many more players at one time per side. In those tournaments for the finals it is often using LAN-based tournaments. Imagine having to set up an LAN tournament for hundreds of different players. Why LAN? It defeats the idea of DDoSing because it is hosted locally rather than on the internet. So, overall, having DDoSing being so rampant, having a tournament would be a mess.

Not to mention the fact that those games receive far more of an audience than RuneScape.
Senior Moderator | Questions? Contact me.
The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe because its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.
Spoiler

#7 Ninjasteak

Ninjasteak

ʕ༼◕ ౪ ◕✿༽ʔ

Posted 03 November 2014 - 2:30 PM

The truth is those games host world tournaments because they are the most popular games now. Runescape was fairly popular before, but never attained the global recognition/status that others did... and probably never will. Its time to attract worldwide attention has passed unless a miracle drops from the sky.

As an example, you have Worlds for League Championships, which is an extremely competitive annual event followed by a huge fan base. League has always encouraged more intuitiveness and strategy than Runescape has. I see RS as a more laid-back version of gaming, which includes a variety of aspects (combat, questing, skilling, sandbox) compared to the pure combat that other games provide. It's another category entirely. That said, I just don't see it happening on the scale that other games would run world competitions. Partially because the game is still mistaken as a children's MMO (not the case anymore) and because the fanbase is simply not strong enough. Honestly I think Runefest is the closest they can get to hosting mass conventions or tournaments.

Edited by Ninjasteak, 03 November 2014 - 2:33 PM.

ej7Gt3j.png?1J6DOj1k.png?17UHJ5hb.png?1 AGLrJYT.png?1ej7Gt3j.png?1

Achievements, Questions, & Competition Staff • Zchat Team • ZybezNet Team Leader

Global Moderator

kRV29fz.png

#8 Gintoki

Gintoki

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Bentoki
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Afrobros
  • Team:zchat

Posted 03 November 2014 - 2:42 PM

Runescape just doesn't have the player base (ergo the money to give away).
It would be cool to work for something other than a sign but it just isn't what Runescape is about, those big games thrive on taking down the other player but the variables as to how good you are in Runescape aren't entertaining ones.
You have millions of people watching some Dota stream, how many people want to see Suomi livestreaming divination? I just don't think that Runescape is made for that kind of thing really.

xD4B8ER.png

#9 Manga

Manga

Protagonist

Posted 03 November 2014 - 4:15 PM

RuneScape's time was before the age of live-streaming. Nobody would watch RuneScape pvp over League, Hearthstone, or Dota which were born in the boom of livestream. Even World of Warcraft Arenas are not popular in eSports. In addition to that Jagex is not so rich they can throw millions into a profitless venture. Who is to say sponsors will be even interested in funding a RuneScape team over something proven popular in livestream.

2nrn3g9.png 7cNTC8v.png

#10 darklord1848

darklord1848

Posted 08 June 2018 - 8:39 AM

I doubt Jagex will ever give out cash rewards for anything. It's still against the rules to real-world-trade so it's hard to imagine any other reward being possible other than their little statues/trophies they put in various parts of the game.

It would be a good idea in theory but considering we've seen how Jagex set up tournaments, can't see it being successful. Add in the possibility of DDoSing and it would really never work.

Called it. 

"Power is always dangerous, it attracts the worst and corrupts the best, I never asked for power, power is only given to those who are prepared to lower themselves to pick it up"

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: