We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

What Can We Do Better?

OSRS

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:lNo1
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

POPULAR

Hi. We're Zybez.

We want to help you play the game well, and have fun doing it. What can we do that we're not doing right now?

You're the reason we exist at all, so if we haven't said it before: Thank you.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

#2 Jay

Jay

Dark lady watch over me

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

We need(i say need very loosely) to promote forum activity more. The price guide is a great feature, don't get me wrong, but it seems like to most people that's all we are anymore. We're just a price guide. There has to be a way to get the activity back up to how it was in let's say 2006 and forward. I can't speak for anything before that because I didn't use the website, but I've been registered since my first account since back then and the forums were always blossoming with things to interact with.

I'm not sure what all that would entail, but there has to be a way.

#3 F2p2007

F2p2007

Noob

• RS Name:F2p2007
  • Clan:Olympus

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Add a refresh option for posting offers on price guide. And take them down when we sign out.

And set a cool-down period for the refresh option

Posted Image

#4 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Im going to have to agree with Jay on this one. Forum activity needs to be picked up. Im not exactly sure how its going to happen, but that should definitely be the main focus right now.

WxF1MUm.gif

#5 Unrated

Unrated

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

07XP tracker

Help skillers yay, but in reality what Jay said.

Graphics Providence

PN1GI7m.png

xPure Hatred Warlord | xCritical Damage Leader | xTeam Trinity Laeder

#6 Derek Yo

Derek Yo

return of the jedi

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

stop being so strict, its 2014 and flaming is the norm. getting banned/suspended for calling someone an idiot or stupid or a noob or a spastic is so neonazi its unbelievable. we're not 12, babying people like they are is a real turnoff. obviously the derogatory ones can remain, but simple insults like such should be looked over.

Reign of Terror

53BYxRx.png wE3ljd3.png HpSOmbx.png 5xsyE2K.png

#7 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Forum activity has dropped and even though these are the busiest I've seen Zybez numbers wise, the forum activity in overall has dropped. I don't see topic advertisement like it use to be, such as PK topics, Achievement topics and overall general talk of RuneScape.

There's nothing to help promote a players profile to the wider community, such as streamers and pker's.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#8 Jay

Jay

Dark lady watch over me

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

stop being so strict, its 2014 and flaming is the norm. getting banned/suspended for calling someone an idiot or stupid or a noob or a spastic is so neonazi its unbelievable. we're not 12, babying people like they are is a real turnoff. obviously the derogatory ones can remain, but simple insults like such should be looked over.

As a former clanner, I completely agree on this point but you have to see it from two sides. The reason the censor and strict attitude is in place is because of the age gap from people still. It's more of a respect thing, look at it from a parents point of view. Would you want your child on a forum where sometimes incoherent flaming and abuse is allowed? There's more than just one side to it, however silly it may seem.

#9 Ninjasteak

Ninjasteak

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

I know it's an ongoing and drawn-out process, but are we doing everything we can to get the name Zybez uncensored?

I agree that over the years, the words have become rather common along with internet slang in the gaming world. True, anything said over the internet shouldn't be taken word-for-word, but certain phrases have varying interpretations and can be taken out of context. I guess it's also to stop arguments from arising. Sometimes there are other ways to express ideas without crossing the line of immaturity. You have to understand that this is also tied into spam. I mean... really, would you want to see a thread with "noob" all the way down?

Edited by Ninjasteak, 10 September 2014 - 09:25 PM.

zHsjHb9.png?17UHJ5hb.png?17Y47EXz.png?1

Achievements, Questions, Marketplace Staff • Zchat Team • Zybeznet Team Leader

Global Forum Moderator

"Good things come to those who do not suck." - Ramuhitsuji

kRV29fz.png

#10 Torreoria

Torreoria

UNC Official

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Community is what will keep many coming to Zyb forums, has for years. There used to be lots of people volunteering community support, such as Runehead clan member lists.

http://zt-rs.com fc: ZT Lobby SwiftIRC: #zt-lobby

#11 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:lNo1
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

Bear with me, I'll try to reply to every point but this may get long. Thanks all for the feedback thus far.

We need(i say need very loosely) to promote forum activity more. The price guide is a great feature, don't get me wrong, but it seems like to most people that's all we are anymore. We're just a price guide. There has to be a way to get the activity back up to how it was in let's say 2006 and forward. I can't speak for anything before that because I didn't use the website, but I've been registered since my first account since back then and the forums were always blossoming with things to interact with.

I wholeheartedly agree! Unfortunately it's easier said than done. We've been trying some different things, but it's hard to get people involved in something they may not be interested in in the first place. It seems to me there's been a shift in the playerbase over the past while (um, decade). What people like and are looking for these days is simply different from what we've historically appealed to. Obviously the price guide has been a big hit, but it was filling a void. Beyond that we're still trying to figure out exactly what that means. Any ideas (from anyone!) are always more than welcome.

Add a refresh option for posting offers on price guide. And take them down when we sign out.

I've always said 'just re-list them', but I'll look into that. What would be a reasonable cool-down period? 30 minutes?

We can't have offers automatically go away when you sign out, because we don't know when that actually happens. Most people aren't going to click 'Sign Out' on the website--they're just going to close the tab, and we can't tell when that happens.

07XP tracker

Help skillers yay, but in reality what Jay said.

XP tracker with what kind of functionality? Show gains over the last week/month, etc? The trouble with logging XP histories (which I've done before) is that the data adds up...really fast. I think I heard somewhere that RuneTracker's database measures in the gigabytes now. Not to make excuses, but that gets hard to manage.

I will note that there are XP trackers out there already for OSRS: RuneTracker supports it, and there's also one by Crystal Math Labs.

In the interest of openness, I won't dismiss this outright--we'll talk about it internally and re-evaluate our flaming rules and censor (again). I can tell you why it is that way, though:

There is a very fine (even blurry) line between 'simple insults' and outright abuse. We simply can't allow outright abuse--it leads to upset users, and a very hostile community. People get fed up and leave, and suddenly you have no community at all. For both swearing and flaming, we've opted to take a hard-line, zero-tolerance position and don't allow any of it at all. It sounds strict, but it leaves discussions clean and it makes our jobs as moderators infinitely easier. For the most part, we don't have judgment calls or consistency to worry about--it's either clearly okay or it isn't, and you as users know exactly what that means too. What constitutes 'obviously derogatory'?

You've probably noticed how, even though Jagex officially lets you swear in-game now, you can still get muted for almost anything if someone reports you. That's an ambiguous situation we don't want to get into.

Looking at it from a different direction: Is the inability to swear and insult other users the one piece that's keeping people from getting involved? Is that going to somehow enrich this website? I'm open to change, but at the moment I'm not convinced.

Forum activity has dropped and even though these are the busiest I've seen Zybez numbers wise, the forum activity in overall has dropped. I don't see topic advertisement like it use to be, such as PK topics, Achievement topics and overall general talk of RuneScape.

There's nothing to help promote a players profile to the wider community, such as streamers and pker's.

Where or how should topics like that be advertised? I'm all for it, if it makes sense.

I know it's an ongoing and drawn-out process, but are we doing everything we can to get the name Zybez uncensored?

In a word: yes. It's been an incredibly frustrating situation for all of us, and one we've been trying to resolve for years. Saying that Jagex has been unresponsive on the matter would be a huge understatement. At this point, it's not clear whose decision it is, nor what their reasoning is for continuing to single us out among all other fansites despite our role in the community. When we do get a response at all, it typically ranges from 'I'll look into it' to 'It's complicated.'
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

#12 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

One place that does drive traffic to certain topics and has been proven to work very well is this part. The linking of this topic drove it to 15,000 views and nearly 100 posts in a month, that's pretty much unheard of in the PK section in 2014 and it was all down to the linking on the price guide section.

I also haven't seen any posts about certain topics on the actual Zybez site and to be honest there hasn't been much going on apart from the penguin updates.

I'm thinking about having a topic from each popular section on the forums and featured on the price guide thread section and the homepage of Zybez each week or maybe each month? That's down to you guys to figure out which would work best if you go with it.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#13 Calum

Calum

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

I've always said 'just re-list them', but I'll look into that. What would be a reasonable cool-down period? 30 minutes?

We can't have offers automatically go away when you sign out, because we don't know when that actually happens. Most people aren't going to click 'Sign Out' on the website--they're just going to close the tab, and we can't tell when that happens.

How about perhaps a way to manage certain items, like a favourites tab.
To reduce how overpowered the option would be, make so it only refresh certain items(of our choosing,2-6 items) every 15-30mins
Highly recommend having a limited amount of items you can refresh, or per hour.
Maybe even looking into something like
'Your last visited' - Tab (Interface)
'Favourites' - Tab (Interface)

Maybe to help people to engage with more items
How about something like a categories interface
Combat gear etc..

0GYYgvn.png

ThinkPremade | GFXDistrict.com | Skype: dropzrs | Calum@gfxdistrict.com

#14 Velits

Velits

Awesome~!

• Clan:less
  • Team:Awesome

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:30 AM

It's rather complicated to solve the inactivity problems because many factors are influencing it. A few things I have in mind to get the posting activity up are mainly focussed on promoting. Alot of topics have the potential to, for example, lead to a good in dept discussion about certain issue's but just aren't being recognized. With little advertising saying something like 'what is your opinion on subject <...>' would maybe result in more replies.

Secondly the 'status' updates should be used more by members of this forums. Did you like a topic? Why not advertise and try to get other people reply to the topic as well. Alot of people read the status updates.

Another thing I would like to notice has to do with the moderators/senior members. I think moderators should use their rank more often to advertise and promote topics. A moderator posting a status update has much more impact then a regular member doing so. I am just trying to say, use your red/purple name to get people posting!

I hope my input is of some use to the forums. I would love to see activity go back up (even a little!).

Edited by Velits, 11 September 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#15 » Caudery

» Caudery

¢αυ∂єяу 13

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

Fix clan discussion, from there Zybez will move forward.

Posted Image

#16 Jeff Zucker

Jeff Zucker

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

i disagree

i dont want this to turn into another e-thug site. u can do that anywhere else on the internet.

n8tffUy.png

#17 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

Fix clan discussion, from there Zybez will move forward.

Is that something we can do? Saying its broken doesn't help us. We need specifics. If you have some beef against the staff then you should PM someone. Be civil about it though.

To all those with Price Guide suggestions you're welcome to post them here but do know that they can be posted here: http://forums.zybez....t-and-feedback/ I can assure you they do get read. Be warned not everything suggested is plausible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 imooalot

imooalot

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Hi. We're Zybez.

We want to help you play the game well, and have fun doing it. What can we do that we're not doing right now?

You're the reason we exist at all, so if we haven't said it before: Thank you.

have a serious look at the moderators and maybe remove some of the corrupt ones. people checking others ip's etc is absolutely out of order. abusing their powers. also i feel no active clanner should be able to moderate clan fight sections in any way. people all have friends and its all biased. if i was the leader of my clan we wouldn't use this site at all as it stands. a bit more freedom would also be nice. i see flame bated topics up all the time and when someone makes a little joke topic it gets locked etc. runescape has a profanity's option zybez should be no different if people choose to swear etc. making the zybez price guide the way it is has not changed a thing just means some of us cannot make posts at all on it which is sad. really not fair for half the community who don't wish to associate their rs acc to their zybez acc

I'm not sure what all that would entail, but there has to be a way.

in short tho who cares about this dumb nerd site. unfortunately its long dead

"now back to the price guide"
Posted Image

#19 Sonizzle

Sonizzle

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

Add a Godsword service tab in the price guide similar to the DFS forging service tab.

Posted ImagePosted ImageEst. 2006

Posted Image

"Conquer the goal! Don't let the goal conquer you."

#20 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• RS Name:Elysian Duck
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

I think we have all the tools ready for a great community, in fact, we always did. I think that some people simply don't like posting on forums anymore due to social media and such... in that sense, maybe we could try to promote that willingness. Back in the days, everything was responded to, even news posts for small quests and such. Perhaps we can start promoting the forum via zybeznet clan? But jagex might take it down.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: