Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-03 at 10:12. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes
Guide

Protecting Your Runescape Account In 2014

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 W13

W13

• Rating: < -5 | 5 | +5 >
  • RS Name:W13
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybez

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

1. Protect your email account. This is the most important part of your online identity.
  • I highly, highly suggest you enable two-step verification. Many email providers offer this feature but if your email provider doesn't, I suggest you switch to Gmail.com. This will make your email account a million times safer.
  • Make your email account's security questions and password unique. Don't use this password anywhere else.
  • Make sure your recovery email address and phone number is valid.
  • Create a new email address for signing up to RuneScape fansites and forums. Don't use this email address on your RuneScape account.
2. Protect your computer. If your computer is compromised, it doesn't matter how long or complex your password is.
  • Install and enable Windows Defender on your computer. (for versions of Windows older than Windows 7, use Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus). If you wish to use an alternative antivirus, check out Avast. Make sure you have one antivirus constantly running on your computer. There is no need to have more than one antivirus software running at the same time.
  • Do a full scan of your computer using Windows Defender (or whatever antivirus software you have installed).
  • Do a full scan of your computer using Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
  • Do a full scan of your computer using Malware Bytes.
  • Do a full scan of your computer using Malware Bytes Antirootkit.
  • Do a full scan of your computer using Gmer.
  • Do a full scan of your computer using TDSSKiller.
  • Make it a habit to do these full scans every month or so. Save the logs so you can share them with experts to help identify hidden/suspicious viruses on your computer.
  • Open your task manager ( CTRL+SHIFT+ESC ) and look for any suspicious applications, specially under the "Start-up" tab. (Or, better still, you can download CCleaner and check under Tools > Startup)
  • Keep your Windows up to date using Windows Update. On Windows 8, go Windows-key+X and then click "System". Then click "Windows Update" at the bottom left of the wind&#111;w.
3. Protect your IP address.
  • Limit your communication with RuneScape players outside of RuneScape. Don't talk to them on Skype, IRC, email, Teamspeak, etc.
  • Don't use any RuneScape-related software. Play RuneScape in your web-browser or using the official downloadable client.
  • Limit your usage of RuneScape sites and forums. If you must use them, consider using an alternative IP address whenever you do. For example, you can tether (share) your cell-phone's mobile data connection, connect to it using your PC, and then browse suspicious forums and sites.
  • Disconnect your modem's (cable modem or DSL modem) power overnight every now and then. This will often result in you being assigned a new IP address by your ISP. The more often your IP address changes, the safer you'll be from DDoSers that may have obtained your IP address.
  • Think about investing in a VPN/proxy service to have peace of mind knowing that your IP address and geographic location are safe. It will also protect you from DDoS attacks. Also, thanks to the encryption, nobody will be able to hack you using an unsecure public-WiFi/LAN.
  • Make sure your router is using the latest firmware and any firewall is activated. Review all the security settings on your router as well.
  • Use Google's Public DNS on your browser and router. It will speed up your Internet, make you safe, and it's free.
4. Protect your password.
  • Your email account's password and your RuneScape passwords should be unique. Never make them the same and never use them for anything else. This means you should have at least three passwords: one for your email account, one for your RuneScape account, and a third one for everything else.
  • If you primarily play from home, make it a rule to never log into RuneScape from a computer other than your own. Your friends may install keyloggers on their own computers for the sole purpose of stealing your passwords when you use their PC to play. Just don't trust any computer other than your own.
  • When you sign up to RuneScape sites and forums, use a fake date of birth and falsify other information as well. Your date of birth, location (city, country), etc. can be used to help hack your RuneScape and email accounts. Be careful not to add any RuneScape friends on Facebook or register domain-names where your personal information can be easily stolen and used to steal your account. Don't fall for simple tricks where hackers simply ask you all this information in a seemingly casual conversation: "When's your birthday? I will give you a present", "What time zone are you playing from? Which city?", "You lag a lot? Who is your ISP? I bet they suck", etc.
5. Protect your RuneScape account.

#2 Jay

Jay

Dark lady watch over me

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Should honestly put this in guides & tips as well cause tons of people ask about account security types of things.

#3 Elder Jr

Elder Jr

Zybaholic

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elder Jr
  • Clan:Ronin

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I use most of these features and sufficient to say i have never had my information compromised, pretty good guide. Thanks W13.

hulvcVg.jpg

nsEgSas.png

#4 Daz121994

Daz121994

★★★★★

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Unknown
  • Clan:Ronin

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

dont see why guardian isnt a feature in old school as well
R1IV3R0FR3D ~ Death Before Dishonour ¬ RDK
L00TD3CT3R ~ The Green Dream ¬ AF
BLEED BLUE ~ No Guts No Glory ¬ Brut
They See Me Ronin They Hatin ¬ Ronin

#5 Wee Man

Wee Man

Чистой ненависти номер один

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

TIL there's a shortcut just for Task Manager. That'll save me a lot of time. Nice guide. :thumbsup:

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

#6 Ace

Ace

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • Clan:Renegades Fan Club

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

I do most of this and a lot of it seems like common sense to me. Still good stuff, hopefully it keeps a few more people from losing their accounts.

#7 chrisdale737

chrisdale737

DF is Death

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Should defiantly make sure you take precautions in this era so many rats, java drivebys and other malicious software about.
Posted Image

#8 Buscape

Buscape

whoyoufinnatry

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:King Niisku
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 27 February 2014 - 1:48 PM

Better safe than sorry! Thanks, W13. :thumbsup:

< -5 | 4 | +5 >

Posted Image

Quit this forum.

13 November 2006 - 17 December 2015.

#9 The Tortured

The Tortured

Failin'

Posted 27 February 2014 - 2:55 PM

Short and sweet. A solid guide for the vet and noob alike. I'm a bit anal when it comes to my IP, but a lot of people don't even know there is some risk associated with it!
http://img705.images...5/8733/tbfd.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#10 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow

Posted 04 March 2014 - 5:04 AM

Should honestly put this in guides & tips as well cause tons of people ask about account security types of things.

Most people get really lazy and dont want to read to be honest assuming their account will be fine. Maybe pin the topic aswell?

#11 Jay

Jay

Dark lady watch over me

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >

Posted 05 March 2014 - 5:03 PM

Most people get really lazy and dont want to read to be honest assuming their account will be fine. Maybe pin the topic aswell?

Isn't a bad idea, thanks :-P

#12 Stl Arrow

Stl Arrow

War is not about who is right, Its about who is left

• RS Name:Stl Arrow

Posted 05 March 2014 - 7:00 PM

Isn't a bad idea, thanks :-P
Dont mention it :thumbsup:

#13 Redecous

Redecous

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Is there a need for all of this now with the Jagex Account Guardian(phased out)new Runescape Authenticator thing?
Posted Image
Ex-Australian Army ( Proud to have held the title of MoTM for 4 months)
Ex-Cerulean Xeric
Ex-Night Marchers
Ex-Cabbage Inc
Ex-Unity
Singapore Member
The United Fighters Friend
Sorrow Of Knights Member
Silent Revelation Advisor
Now a member of Angelic Upheaval

#14 sheepstyle

sheepstyle

Posted 14 July 2014 - 5:27 AM

thanks

#15 xpnkrockemox

xpnkrockemox

The one, the only

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:xpnkrockemox
  • Clan:Fatality

Posted 14 July 2014 - 9:55 AM

Good guide, thank you
"I was too blind to see, you were too deaf to hear me"

Proud Founder of We Are Royalty IRC: #War-rs
Proud Ex-Council of Enemy
Proud Ex-Member Of Fatality
Proud Ex-Council Epidemic
Proud Council of Fatality
My Youtube: https://www.youtube....er/xpnkrockemox

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 EnVy Dude

EnVy Dude

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Dude

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Good guide, thank you

Posted Image

#17 lubatbat

lubatbat

• RS Name:chire
  • Clan:waterfiends

Posted 08 August 2014 - 6:38 PM

tyvm for the tips
hope the html5 will solve jave security problems as it wont need java at all
Posted Image

#18 Raidxrs

Raidxrs

Posted 22 October 2014 - 8:18 PM

Very good guide! :-D

#19 Jagerblue

Jagerblue

• Clan:RoT

Posted 08 February 2015 - 6:35 PM

Just a quick note to anyone reading this, the Authenticator is USELESS if you do not have your email secured, so make sure to setup that 2-step verification on your email, no skipping steps!

#20 The Jam

The Jam

Posted 01 June 2016 - 3:13 AM

Hey just to clarify on the authenticator, I've asked a few people this in zchat but not got a full answer... what happens to my account if I lose/damage the device I use for authenticator? Is it easy to still access my account? And if so, couldn't a would-be 'hacker' pretend to be me with a damaged/lost device and then easily access my account?

And sorry for the double post but what's the deal with OSB? This guide says not to use any software except browser or official client, but 99% of OSRS seems to use OSB and I always get laughed at if I question whether it's safe!

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: