Orion Client Confirmed Legal

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Earlier today Mod Jacmob confirmed that the third-party client for OSRS, Orion, is a legal add-on and players will have no repercussions should they choose to use it.

Posted Image

QFC: 317-318-36-65129436

If you don't know, the Orion client shows orbs alongside the minimap that display a player's current hitpoints, prayer points, run energy, and percentage of special attack. It also shows players their hits, in a fashion similar to that of the Xp pop-up that the live game currently has, only it predicts the actual hits, not the Xp given as a result of hitting that number.

Obviously, this is an advantage to players who use the client, especially in PvP - noting the client can do other things like look up prices on the OSRS Price Guide.

I have been using this client for a few weeks now, it seemed to be perfectly legal to me - although I'm not a programmer so realistically I could've been way off and the advantages were too good to pass up. One of the emerging theories is that if this were illegal because it gives some players an 'unfair advantage' wouldn't a tool like DGSweeper be illegal, because it also gives players an advantage. Just like the DGSweeper, this client does nothing for you except display statistics, it cannot make your character do anything, and that's what separates it from a botting client.

What is your opinion on the client?
Is this advantage unfair even though anybody can use it?
If it was unconfirmed, would you think it's legal or not?

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#2 Vincey

Vincey

Unknown

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Its a fine client, although at the same time I don't think its up to swiftkit's standards other than the fact it has overlays of hp, prayer, and run.
Yeah it is sort of unfair, but to those who don't know about it. I kinda think it takes away the old school feel too but if we're honest with ourselves, people were looking for ways to upgrade oldschool runescape and make the game easier anyways.
As for the question of its legality, even when it was unconfirmed, I knew that it was Mod Jacmob's old company "RsBuddy" that was producing the Orion client so I had a feeling it was legal.

The client lacks some aspects that swiftkit has, but the overlays really make up for it, especially in Pvp. I think they did a good job overall, and hopefully we get to see more legitimate work from them.

Posted Image

// Community leader of Recruitment Forums in Clan Discussion //

#blacknights

#3 Pharmacists

Pharmacists

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Although it does not apply to me currently, it is good to know if I were to pick up on OSRS. Thanks for the info.

Posted Image

#4 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Ahh yes... let me just browse the internet for a fitting response when I read that this client doesn't effect PvP if someone is fighting someone using the client vs someone that isn't.

This is 2007, why the hell is there HP, Prayer and what ever the hell those orb things are around the mini-map? This clearly gives an unfair advantage to the user of this client.

I'm lost at how this is allowed.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#5 Dr Destiny

Dr Destiny

• RS Name:None
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

In my opinion, it of course gives an unfair advantage but since when has pking been fair.. people with their pjing of 2 hit d bow hits or korasi hitting 60's. I also have heard that the Orion client is unsafe and that its prone to hacking, whether its true or not it does make some players not want to use it. But hey, its legal so who are we to tell people to not use it.

Edited by Dr Destiny, 27 August 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#6 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Officer

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

I figured it was legal. It doesn't do anything that would make it illegal really.

I used the client earlier but haven't after I heard there were some sketchy things with the developer and him hiding the source coding. So now, I don't really trust it. Might use in the future if I find it isn't an security risk.

Mike|Cera_S6 - Violent Resolution Officer
Posted Image
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Officer (06 - Present)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Community Leader of General Discussion, Clan Discussion, Clan Fights & Events and United Nations - Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns Posted Image
Posted Image | Posted Image

#7 Ry an

Ry an

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

I still don't trust the developer.

| #vr | #frozen_fury |

#8 Zpoon

Zpoon

hey

• RS Name:ZPUN
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

So the rules can now be warped to fit the goals of a certain jmod who was now hired as a result of the work done on certain defunct bot.

A real slap in the face to others who have struggled to get any type of support from Jagex for many years and have to deal with countless bouts of misinformation and internal confusion plunging the entire development project into fits of chaos. "Is it legal, is it not? They said in this 1 forum posts it is but in another they say it's not."

But I guess all is well if it's your product and it can bend the rules to your hearts content while others are continuously told it's illegal. Thanks Jagex.
Those who talk don't know. And those who know don't talk.
Posted Image
http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape

#9 JohnT

JohnT

The King

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

the person that made the client (gh0st) is the same person that hacked thousands of accounts in the past. nty
Posted Image

#10 Fasty

Fasty

~tbh imo~

• RS Name:Fast993

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

I don't plan on trusting the client's developer; I'd rather just stick to the client made by Jagex themselves. If somebody developed a similar client and I could completely trust the source, I'd consider using it since it obviously makes things easier during PvP & PvM.

It's an unfair advantage but I'd think it's legal regardless since, as you said, it just displays extra information rather than making your character do something.

lol if u flame me gkef is gonna quote u so watch out bro

Posted Image

i'm the mountie and gkef's the beaver by the way lol

#11 Scuba

Scuba

• RS Name:Tresorr

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

It gives a little bit of an advantage in pvp but everyone is making it out to be a lot bigger deal than it really is. I've pked with the regular client until switching to Orion a couple weeks ago, and it only made things mildly easier. Mouse keys seem like a far bigger advantage, and those are completely legal, even that AHK program is legal and that thing makes somethings infinitely easier.
Also as to the safety aspect of the client, at this point it has done a lot to prove itself if you've done a little research. With this statement on the official runescape forums from a Jagex employee, I think it's pretty safe to say they committed to allowing it and supporting it. I understand peoples trepidation with any third party client, but when you're an employee of a company, you are someone highly accountable for the repercussions of making such a statement. So I highly doubt an employee would post something like this without making completely sure he was allowed to, which means it would have to be allowed from higher up's than him. We would also know pretty quickly if he posted that without permission due to it's feedback and possibly his lack of job haha. ;-)

I was just as against Orion as some people are in this thread, but I encourage everyone to look on their forums, a lot of the concerns and questions I had were answered there.

Edited by Scuba, 27 August 2013 - 10:49 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Saxo

Saxo

• RS Name:Saxo

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Baffles me how this is allowed yet jagex went ape crap at SwiftSwitch when you could load up full worlds easily

Jacmob also said in another post that it doesn't really give a huge advantage in pvp cause it only takes "100ms to switch between tabs" or something along those lines. Guess going by that logic botting should be legal aswell since it only takes 100ms to click something

#13 Scuba

Scuba

• RS Name:Tresorr

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostSaxo, on 27 August 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Baffles me how this is allowed yet jagex went ape crap at SwiftSwitch when you could load up full worlds easily

Jacmob also said in another post that it doesn't really give a huge advantage in pvp cause it only takes "100ms to switch between tabs" or something along those lines. Guess going by that logic botting should be legal aswell since it only takes 100ms to click something
Lol sorry but that makes no sense, switching tabs is a very simple function, and even has keyboard shortcuts dedicated to them. Botting isn't just clicking, it's a series of actions which usually requires tons of clicking, moving, moving camera, etc.

Also in somewhat related news, Twitch is banning everyone who streams using Orion. They even made the decision right after Jagex decided that it is legal, haha gotta love the logic in that... :suspect:
Posted Image

#14 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

2007Scape is not the main game, of course it was always going to be allowed. What was the alternative? Strike the latest blow to 2007Scape's already dwindling popularity by banning/suspending players? JaGEx never really had a choice here -- 'majority rules.'

Posted Image

#15 Etsudo

Etsudo

• RS Name:Etsudo

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

I can't believe Jacmob claims it's not an injection client, it is. But apart from the obvious unfair advantages it gives, let's talk about another issue it raises. How does he think the HP and Run energy are presented on the minimap, 'echo Hitpoints()'? Of course not, it's done via injection.

So let me make an injection client, 1 input 1 output method of cutting a yew, I'll simply walk to a yew spot, click x on my keyboard and the injection script will find the yew and input it for me, is that legal too? It's 1:1, and if Orion can use an injection script surely I can too? Jacmob said it's cool right?!

Jagex should get their priorities right and stop having total air heads like Jacmob make calls, injection clients are against the ToC because ANY injection script what-so-ever (whether it presents your sprint in GUI or whether it runs a complex system of banking and cutting procedures), is all harmful to gameplay mechanics and should be stomped down as soon as possible.

My problem is that when something like this happens, and the community is unsure, the lines are blurred bit by bit, and eventually we get the rug pulled from under us and experience something game-breaking or even worse, completely enjoyable. The rules state any injection what so ever can be seen as malicious, and therefore should not be used at any time. What're we supposed to think now? C'mon guys don't side with this crap.

Using the Orion client, by default due to it's injection scripts, is against the rules if you read them, and I don't care what Jacmob says and nor should you.

Get rid of these mentalists from the admin team asap.

Edited by Soy Capitan, 30 August 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#16 George

George
  • RS Name:Gkef

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Ex-hacker-turned-moderator protecting the client of an ex-hacker-turned-client-scripter... no surprises here, they're probably buddies.

Posted Image

#17 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

People using a memory-leaking software from a game exploiter background are definitely compromising their accounts - even their other private information. I'm going nowhere near this client myself.

#18 Falcon2k5

Falcon2k5

Echo of SIlence

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Course its legal, macmob made it.

Anything which he can pocket will be legal. LLL

Ancient Fury

Forever The kings of P2P

Winners of the Jagex P2P cup

Echo Of Silence Baby

#19 Daimon

Daimon

• RS Name:Daimon
  • Clan:Carnival

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

I don't trust this client for one bit.
You know what they say "Things that look too good to be true, always have a catch"

Not to mention it's made by an Ex-Botter site...
If it was legal JaGeX would of made this client themselfs.
I don't trust Mod Jacmob either since i'm hearing sketchy things about him and this client.

FYI don't suddenly start flaming me for this post i'm mearly stating my own opinion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 -God Gattlerr

-God Gattlerr

#Gatt

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostFasty, on 27 August 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

If somebody developed a similar client and I could completely trust the source, I'd consider using it since it obviously makes things easier during PvP & PvM.

It's an unfair advantage but I'd think it's legal regardless since, as you said, it just displays extra information rather than making your character do something.

This pretty much.

"The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite."
Posted Image
Swiftirc - `God|`Gattlerr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: