Jagex's Chat-Watch Will Mute Your Account

Important

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 xj4053

xj4053

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Jagex has unveiled a new chat-watch system.

HOWEVER, this system is muting accounts that speak offensive language in PRIVATE messages, in PRIVATE chat.

If you wish to see Mod Lyons explaination on this, please visit the reddit where his comments were posted;

http://www.reddit.co...s_on_automatic/

#2 Loco.

Loco.
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Lame then.

Edited by Loco., 10 June 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Derek Yo

Derek Yo

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostLoco., on 10 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

no thanks.
http://imgur.com/a/Yfaoh

found it on the actual reddit site
We do not allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - mod derek

#4 Evf

Evf

Karl Brandt

• RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Poison

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Sounds like big brother.

~Head Administrator in the 3rd Reich's euthanasia program~

~Reich Commissioner for Health & Sanitation~

~Personal physician of Hitler H0tgun~

#5 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

your confusing Jagex with Verizon

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#6 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

If only it were that simple imgur..

Not sure when this took effect, but just a few hours ago I was talking to my friend with what I assume would be labelled offensive language and nothing happened.

This is a huge push for third-party chat software, not all of which is safe. I would think the legitimate risks behind turning someone on to third-party software outweigh the abuse a foul player may dish out before getting banned via a report message.

Edited by spoonheb, 10 June 2013 - 09:49 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#7 JohnLegend

JohnLegend

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Jagex, taking advice from the NSA I see.

#8 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Officer

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

I don't understand why this is needed at all. If someone is offended by what is being said, report it.. not hard. They shouldn't be looking to monitor chats for verbal abuse based on what they think is right/wrong, let the players decide what they feel is wrong by reporting it and then deal with those reports based on if Jagex agrees on the report.

Not thought out at all. Pretty dumb in my opinion.

Mike|Cera_S6 - Violent Resolution Officer
Posted Image
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Officer (06 - Present)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Community Leader of General Discussion, Clan Discussion, Clan Fights & Events and United Nations - Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns Posted Image
Posted Image | Posted Image

#9 Derek Yo

Derek Yo

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

just reminded me.. didnt they come out with the profanity filter for just this reason? theres no point in having it if people are going to get muted for pming their friends simple banter
We do not allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - mod derek

#10 Rob

Rob

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

We recognise that RuneScape has a maturing player base and, as such, wish to give you the freedom to choose for yourselves, while also still keeping the filter for those players who do not wish to see swear words and the like.

^ From their update 2 years ago which allowed people to change the filter off

What's so wrong with that? It's pretty stupid to auto mute people for using language you personally disapprove of. We're not little kids who need to be told by our parents what to say on a god damn online game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 LIR24

LIR24

• RS Name:G X P

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

This is totally subjective..like someone said on Reddit, it reminds me of Club Penguin.

They're trying to babysit us when we are more than capable of handling inappropriate players ourselves (ignore, report, etc..)

I cuss to my friends in P.Ms all the time and it's a two way thing, and it is not inappropriate to me at all.

Also, "damn" has never been blocked as long as I have played, which is surprising. Does that mean that's appropriate to say? To me that's at about the same tier as S***. Also "gay" has been blocked. Again, subjective and the controlling of the game is just ridiculous.

If you have a problem with the chat, you can turn it off, to Friends Only, Ignore, report, or even Quickchat worlds! This sensor IS BROKEN!
Posted Image

#12 Lethal Hero

Lethal Hero

The Best To Ever Do This.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

So dumb imo. Isn't this what the filter is for lol?

And it's not like it's something you're saying in Public. It's to a friend, who could be taking it lightly and you're just messing around with them.

It's like Jagex doesn't want us to continue playing this game anymore lmfao.

Posted Image Genesis Captain

Posted Image Team Solar Leader

Posted Image Critical Damage Warlord

Posted Image Team Trinity Trial Lieutenant

/query Lethal_Hero/Max|AFK/AmandaTodd @SwiftIRC

[Genesis Forums]

#13 Jack

Jack

★★★★★

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

This is absolutely ridiculous. If one player is offended by what another says to them via private messaging then they should report them. There's no need for this to be in-place, particularly more so when we already have had the profanity filter introduced to us.

The only message it sends to me is that I'll no longer be contacting my friends through RS PM.

#14 chrisdale737

chrisdale737

E O S WOOT

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Jagex are absolute idiots.

Hope you read this Mat. Take note.
Posted Image

#15 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Seriously - who even bothers PM'ing one person in particular to piss them off when they can just waltz into an FC/CC and annoy hundreds simultaneously? The ability to restrict public and private chat to friends, and even switch them off outright, on top of the aforementioned report + profanity filter + 'add to ignore' options means this system is completely redundant. If it triggered at the advertising of RWT'ing sites and so on, whatever. I don't think anyone would complain if it was made clear. But general offensive language? Come on... Honestly of all the things RuneScape needs to be taken care of right now, who's going to put trolls right at the top of the priority list?

Killing all the patients to try and stop the disease is silly.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#16 brian01001

brian01001

Former Vent Mod RIP

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostMurdoc, on 11 June 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Seriously - who even bothers PM'ing one person in particular to piss them off when they can just waltz into an FC/CC and annoy hundreds simultaneously?
Hmmmm...I wonder who PM's me stuff like this... :rolleyes:

On a serious note however, I think they have gone a little overboard. I agree that stopping RWT (which was meant to be done in an earlier system Mod Weath and a few others were working on) would be an excellent idea for this kind of thing but extending it into private chat'd offensive language is going a little to far. The option to turn of profanity filter was put in for a reason and this just contradicts part of that reason.

Edited by brian01001, 11 June 2013 - 08:30 AM.

Hate it Posted Image or love it Posted Image, I'm still #1.
Posted Image

Posted Image lmfao XD

We make our own monsters and they come back to haunt us.

《〠_〠》......here lies some suspicious link that you know deep down you want to click on.......

#17 Kevin♫

Kevin♫

The Scientist

• RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

With the original idea of muting those who mention RWT sites, I can see the need for such a system. However, extending it to general profanity is a bit overboard. Online games that cater to younger audiences such as Club Penguin have a similar filtering system, and that's why they cater to such younger audiences. In the meantime it makes one wonder why the chat filter even exists in the first place. If you're going to be automatically muted for saying certain phrases, then why have the ability to turn the filter on or off if a "super" filter has already been created?

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

- Sun Tzu (Art of War)

Recruiting Board Leader // Clan Discussion Staff // General Discussion Staff // Contact me with any questions.

#18 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Another stupid update that isn't needed, hope it gets taken out soon. And there I was thinking Jagex were finally getting it together, lol. :$

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#19 Out Of Ctrl

Out Of Ctrl

10 Years Of RuneScape

• RS Name:Leezo
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Vendetta
  • Team:None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

Doesn't matter, their servers are never on long enough to have a chat with your friends anyway.

LOL HIGH FIVE.

Posted Image

~ Leezo ~

#20 _Funk

_Funk

• RS Name:Funk
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

My god is that an utterly pathetic move. You know I thought they coddled the playerbase as if they were children and it was a children's game enough when the average player (including myself) was probably far younger. But lets be realistic, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of active players still going strong are 19+. I'm in my 20's, I find it ridiculous that a game would take such drastic, unnecessary, and downright trivial manners of punishing "bad" behaviour, especially in a private setting. Even in a public setting this is asinine considering there's a reason we have a report function in the first place (and allows players to demonstrate a certain degree of personal discretion as to whether or not they find the behaviour of other players appropriate or offensive).

Utterly ridiculous before you open the can of worms that already is partially open about how this incompetent company approaches many of their more trivial rules. I don't see how they could look at an aging, dwindling base and think "we should introduce more policies to treat them like children". Orwell wasn't writing manuals boys.

Posted Image
Attempt at poignant statement goes here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: