Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-04 at 23:16. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Top 5 Military/war Movies?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Evf

Evf

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Etotama
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:less

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Topic inspired by sp x

I've finished my campaign of watching dozens upon dozens of war movies, and I've come to a top 5 based on its detail, actors, and plots within the war the movie takes place in. My top 5 are:
  • Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Letters From Iwo Jima
  • The Last Samurai
  • Schindler's List
I chose Tae Guk Gi as my utmost favourite mostly because of its very thought up plot, internal/external conflicts, and the full out action scenes between the North and South. It really sparked an interest for me in civil war movies, so I continued to watch more and continue my search for the best movies.

Although a hilarious, action-packed movie that it was, I felt that Full Metal Jacket came in at second place because it didn't touch my heart like Tae Guk Gi did. It was a hilarious movie overall and quenched my thirst for bloody action and was thrilling every second.

Letters From Iwo Jima came in at third place, only separated from Full Metal Jacket by a hair. I chose FMJ for second over this movie because of the use of humor from the soldiers, but mostly the drill sergeant. Letters From Iwo Jima
was no less than a spectacular movie overall, and I was glad to have watched it.

The Last Samurai, another Mel Gibson film, had me struck with awe. I've always loved the samurai's looks and behavior displayed in movies, so it earned the #4 spot in my top 5.

Last, but certainly not least, I chose Schindler's List. I felt honored to watch the movie, although I did not earn much more than respect for the Jewish communities that suffered during WWII. It is certainly an eye-opening movie that I enjoyed wholeheartedly, but I guess I wasn't able to enjoy it as much since I watched it in my somewhat noisy classroom. It was a beautiful movie nonetheless.

So, with my top 5 and analysis, what are your top 5 favorite war movies, and why did you choose those particular films? Did they have some sort of connection with you or were you impressed by how well-put it was?

Edited by Evf, 25 May 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#FreePkPete

#2 chrisdale737

chrisdale737

DF is Death

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

I love Pearl Harbor that's a great war film
Posted Image

#3 Fernando

Fernando

• Rating: < -5 | -1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

act of valor
elite squad 1,2

Edited by Fernando, 25 May 2013 - 12:29 AM.

#4 Hyperions

Hyperions

Got a Lvl 55 pure? pm me

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Hyperions
  • Clan:Ascent

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

the greats:

apocalypse now
we were soldiers
saving private ryan

leng6Mv.gif

5w5AJWJ.png rz27QiF.png e6SdEFs.png

Have a Lvl 55 pure? Join Ascent for an awesome low lvl pure pking experience ! - Clan-Ascent.net

#5 aceatall

aceatall

Posted 25 May 2013 - 1:30 AM

windtalkers
we were soldiers
saving private ryan
platoon
patriot

im sure, im missing some but those were the 5 that came to mind
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Bloodstain

Bloodstain

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Bloodstain
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 25 May 2013 - 5:32 PM

Taegukgi was good, the trench fights were awesome and that final scene with the old man was pretty sad.

Although not a movie, Band of Brothers is in a league of its own.
Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Help & Rules Section. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me. Thanks, Aragon

#7 Bactine

Bactine

Glorious Pandemonium

• RS Name:Bactine
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 27 May 2013 - 9:50 PM

Taegukgi was good, the trench fights were awesome and that final scene with the old man was pretty sad.

Although not a movie, Band of Brothers is in a league of its own.

yes i was going to say band of brothers as well. and windtalkers was pretty good too.

v6AYOe9.png

1GQnAhh.jpg

WPvGHL0.jpg

OHnktVA.png

#8 Tramp

Tramp

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Letters from Iwo Jima, Paths of Glory and the first half of Full Metal Jacket before it turns into a run of the mill Vietnam film.

In general, Vietnam war films are my favourite type of war films.
Posted Image

#9 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Mew Lp
  • Clan:Cu Clux
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Days of Glory is very, very, good.

Edited by Murdoc, 28 May 2013 - 10:17 AM.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#10 Luftey

Luftey

• RS Name:Luft
  • Clan:Bob Squad

Posted 29 May 2013 - 9:47 PM

About to watch http://en.wikipedia....ountdown_(film)

Supposed to be about a modern carrier that gets magically transported back into WW2. Sounds interesting, supposed to have been a blockbuster in its day, so hoping it'll be a good view despite being old ;p

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Menyo

Menyo

I Turned my Face

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • Team:Supreme 3gypt

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

we were soldiers
saving private ryan

Edited by Menyo, 30 May 2013 - 12:46 PM.

DJ5mhAV.png

And victory comes only from god, the Almighty, All-Wise

#12 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

I chose Tae Guk Gi as my utmost favourite mostly because of its very thought up plot, internal/external conflicts, and the full out action scenes between the North and South. It really sparked an interest for me in civil war movies, so I continued to watch more and continue my search for the best movies.

Just watched this, and oh my God it is hands down the best I have ever seen... South Korean cinema is so, so, so, underrated... I also love the way they emphasise the fact that both sides committed atrocities, and it wasn't trying to big up any one ideology. Just laying bare war for what it is. If anyone is reading this (and hopefully interested) - seriously, I absolutely promise you that it's worth the 2 and a half hours. For real. Only the Lion King and Anjali have saddened me as much.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#13 Magick

Magick

Outrageous

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Band of Brothers. It is more of a mini-series, but whatever.

#14 The Corf

The Corf

The Corf has been quintupled!

• RS Name:The Corf

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

i am generally not into war movies since i have watched a decent amount and only enjoyed 2 of them.

1. Grave Of The Fireflies
2. Saving Private Ryan

first one is an animated movie made by Studio Ghibli about 2 kids surviving through the WWII in Japan and it is an amazing story with great animation to boot, only bad thing about it is that it was so sad and i cried through the whole movie, it was nearly 2 hours of my crying all the water in my body out...

#15 Evf

Evf

• RS Name:Etotama
  • Clan:less

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Just watched this, and oh my God it is hands down the best I have ever seen... South Korean cinema is so, so, so, underrated... I also love the way they emphasise the fact that both sides committed atrocities, and it wasn't trying to big up any one ideology. Just laying bare war for what it is. If anyone is reading this (and hopefully interested) - seriously, I absolutely promise you that it's worth the 2 and a half hours. For real. Only the Lion King and Anjali have saddened me as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTg5W1Lgyzo

After this movie, I couldn't find a better one. Pretty much surpassed the 2013 movies for me.

#FreePkPete

#16 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

• RS Name:Robinhoodrs
  • Clan:Don't Panic

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

1) Band of Brothers (mini series but still the best war series to ever be made)

2) Pearl Harbor

3) Enemy at the gates

4) Saving Private Ryan

5) Act of Valor

Those are my top five war movies and I've seen a lot of them, all of these I can come back too and watch again and again because they're just that good. I wonder when we'll start seeing war movies about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#17 Pharmacists

Pharmacists

Posted 20 August 2013 - 1:04 PM

I absolutely love war movies with the biggest passion. There's just so many favorites that it'll be hard to narrow it down to just five, but let's give it a try.
This list is not in any order, just a list of my top five.
1. Schindlers List
2. The Pianist
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Das Boot
5. Flags of our Fathers
Since Band of Brothers and The Pacific are both a HBO series, I figured I'd leave them off the list, but they're both amazing.

Posted Image

#18 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 20 August 2013 - 5:12 PM

I wonder when we'll start seeing war movies about Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are lots already.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

#19 Noble Truce

Noble Truce

Sometimes a smile makes it all worthwhile!

• RS Name:Noble Truce

Posted 20 August 2013 - 5:48 PM

Jarhead was pretty good.

#20 Pharmacists

Pharmacists

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I wonder when we'll start seeing war movies about Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are lots already.
There's plenty, such as The Hurt Locker, Jarhead (as mentioned above), Green Zone, Restrepo, Brothers, Armadillo, The 9th Company, and many more. All the ones I mentioned are really really good in my opinion (worthy of two "really's").

Posted Image

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: