Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-04 at 18:54. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo
Blog

Conservative Revolution

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Elysian Duck
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

Prior to writing this blog, I was cleaning up my room. Unsurprisingly, as I barely do this, I came across numerous old books which I used at some point for my secondary school education. One was on the Dutch Revolt, spanning from 1568 to 1648. Now, I will spare you all of the details (the exam was easy), but one thing regarding this subject always stood out for me. Even though the revolt was listed as a revolution, the reasoning behind it was mostly conservative. In other words, the Dutch fought against the Spanish King to retain their old privileges and traditions. Quite unusual as one would assume that most revolutions possess a progressive nature, with a recent example being the Arab Spring. You might wonder if there was any reason to start a RuneScape-related blog with something as random as this. Actually, there is. That is, to me the RS2007 servers bear a striking resemblance to the origins of the revolt.

There is no need to beat around the bush; RuneScape has been decreasing in popularity for a while now. Although some might be inclined to mark the Wilderness Removal update as the trigger of the slide, it actually started much later. I personally enjoyed the era of 2008-2010 RuneScape, but that might just be me. Regardless of the exact date, the decline had been ongoing slowly but steadily for some time anyway. An attempt by Jagex to regain players by introducing the Wilderness again only resulted in a flood of real-world-trading accounts. After that it only went downhill with the further additions such the Squeal of Fortune and Solomon’s Store. A lot has already been written on this, so I’m only going to state that paying double or triple amounts equal to a month of membership just for special emotes, teleports, bank slots and pets is outrageous. Last summer Jagex made one final effort by revising the combat system, but many (older) players quit regardless. Note that this doesn’t imply that the changes were bad, perhaps it just did not suit that proportion of the community. So in short, our community has fallen apart.

Many complaints have been directed towards Jagex for years, as we all know. Over the years, the slogans have changed from ‘’Bring back the Wilderness!’’ to ‘’Bring back the Old RuneScape!’’. Many, yours truly included, never took this seriously because Jagex stated themselves numerous times that such changes would never occur. Surprisingly enough, as we know though, Jagex finally gave in to the demand and brought back 2007 RuneScape. Why now?

Effectively, Jagex have found themselves a new, perfectly exploitable, niche. RuneScape was played by many back in the days and given that many of those players wanted to (legally) have another go, Jagex has found another cash cow. Numbers don’t lie ; Oldschool RuneScape has roughly half the number of active ‘’EOCScape’’ players at any one time. It is therefore from a company point of view a healthy investment to operate the oldschool servers. Heck, additional revenue is never a bad thing.

I don’t have as much free time as I used to in 2007, so I barely played on the oldschool servers. I must admit that I enjoyed the ambience of training on tutorial island again. Fighting a chicken in a prolonged battle, cooking said fowl on a fire, continuing to train, it all felt very familiar. The excitement of stealing cakes from an unfortunate anonymous baker in Ardougne, the old level-up music, we've all experienced it before. If there is one thing I can say, it'd be that people really wanted OldSchool Runescape. Activity is booming on the forums, the main attraction being the marketplace for the oldschool servers. Answering questions based on the 2007-era game made it feel as though it was never gone. Is this a win-win situation for all of us?

More or less, this is indeed a utopia. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that part of our experience is based on a view through rose-tinted spectacles. Of course everything wasn’t perfect. Heck, it was far from perfect. The endless grind, the ever running-out energy, the lack of a good interface and the inconvenience of having to queue in order to enter a world just to find a trading partner. Possibly one will state that it belongs to that era, but I personally consider it an annoyance. Furthermore, it can be questioned whether the activity on the oldschool servers will remain stable. Playing it now surely is fun, but I wouldn’t dream of having to re-do some parts of my journey on Gielinor. And if more players have that mindset, Jagex is in trouble. Finally, I would like to address the possible issue of segmenting the community into 2 groups. This means that even more players will leave the current version of the game, which of course hurts the existing community.

Doubts and criticism aside, the utopia is currently alive and kicking. Players have received what they've demanded for so long, and activity is reaching old records again. If you haven't already, I’d definitely recommend trying the oldschool servers and joining their community. The only constant is change, but a good chunk of nonstalgia is also great from time to times.

Click here to discuss on Zybez.Net!

Click here to discuss on the Official Old School RuneScape Magazine!

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#2 Renkotsu

Renkotsu

Tom Cruise

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

another excellent work of art, ducky. 10/10. honestly,some of us would say it's too soon to judge osrs, but at this point in time with so many things being accomplished, this blog was well-timed.

(also disappointed by the lack of a signature elysian duck screenshot :-()

#3 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Mew Lp
  • Clan:Cu Clux
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

It's...right at the top...

Interesting history lesson haha, but yea I've always said/thought Jagex have nothing to lose with this. Even if it did only last a few months not only am I sure they'd have made a decent amount of money anyway as a result of the initial poll and so on, but more importantly the fact they bothered to listen to their players at all says an awful lot. Looking through so many of those "OMFG TY SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS" posts on the official forums after the servers were released shows they've taken a (small?) step to regaining the community's trust after (for example) crushing us with all those news updates about the latest Squeal of Fortune + Solomon's Store offers, and so on.

Hopefully Jagex will have the sense to build on these foundations, instead of succumbing to their more feral business instincts and taking 10 paces back for however many few this pulled them forward with like another micro-transaction medium or something lol. I'm optimistic, anyway. OSRS was a great way to kick-off 2013.

Edited by Murdoc, 03 April 2013 - 10:33 AM.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#4 Renkotsu

Renkotsu

Tom Cruise

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

It's...right at the top...

Either I'm blind or my computer's trolling me.
Posted Image

#5 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone else have issues with viewing the image?

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#6 Jaddy

Jaddy

Accomplished Agility Freak

• RS Name:Jaddy
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Does anyone else have issues with viewing the image?

Posted Image
nope

Edited by Jaddy, 03 April 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#7 Blake

Blake

manacrew

• Rating: < -5 | 1 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Echo of Silence

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Glad I gave it a read. Wasn't a bad read for something Runescape related.

ZHptlwi.pngPWS8nlH.pngBKmT9eK.pngsFfUB46.pngWpEq9yN.pngSsVXd6b.pnggMMfUMU.png

#8 Renkotsu

Renkotsu

Tom Cruise

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I find it quite hilarious that almost 450,000 players voted for OSRS, yet there aren't almost 450,000 people playing at any given moment :lol:

Edited by TS Togusa, 04 April 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#9 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I find it quite hilarious that almost 450,000 players voted for OSRS, yet there aren't 450,000 people playing :lol:

Obviously they won't all be on at the same time. :huh:

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#10 Renkotsu

Renkotsu

Tom Cruise

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I find it quite hilarious that almost 450,000 players voted for OSRS, yet there aren't 450,000 people playing :lol:

Obviously, but there's only ~50k/~60k players active at peak hours. I'd think there'd be at least 70k active at peak hours if over 400,000 people voted for it.

#11 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Obviously, but there's only ~50k/~60k players active at peak hours. I'd think there'd be at least 70k active at peak hours if over 400,000 people voted for it.

And how exactly did you calculate that would be a more "appropriate" figure? There are lots of other variables to bear in mind on top of basic timezones. Despite the fact Jagex claim that there are a few million or so "active" accounts (8?) - only 80-100k players are on RuneScape-proper at most given times. Should we be laughing about that instead? It doesn't matter how many people 'technically' voted, 'technically' have accounts, or whatever. I'm sure Jagex are more interested in if enough of them are on to grind a profit out of everything.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

#12 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

Posted 04 April 2013 - 1:18 PM

I always assumed that about / at least 10% of the current playerbase would play at times. Still an extremely rough assumption, but like Murdoc said there's so many different timezones and others factors to take into consideration. I, for one, voted YES, but I barely play 2007scape simply because I barely have time to do so.

pLiLWr2.png

5y3uOuI.png

4w3Bc9n.png

MA8JzzV.gif

Ppj1oVu.jpg

#13 Cypher

Cypher

| (• ◡•)|

• RS Name:Cypherex

Posted 04 April 2013 - 6:28 PM

It's true, releasing the OSRS was a financially sound choice for Jagex. I'm just curious how things will play out after 6 months have passed. Remember, we didn't hit the 500k mark and were supposed to have to pay an extra $5 fee in addition to normal membership for OSRS access. But Jagex decided to waive that for the first 6 months to gauge the long-lasting activity of the servers. If Jagex does decide to implement the additional charge in a few months, will people pay up and keep playing or will they quit? Like The duck said, Jagex has already profited off this and gained their brownie points with the community. Once the six month trial period is over is when we'll find out if Jagex released these servers for the community or for their pockets.

Also I can see the picture just fine, not sure why Togusa can't.

Edited by Cypher, 04 April 2013 - 6:29 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Jaddy

Jaddy

Accomplished Agility Freak

• RS Name:Jaddy
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 05 April 2013 - 7:43 AM

Once the six month trial period is over is when we'll find out if Jagex released these servers for the community or for their pockets.

in a way what is good for the community is good for JaGEx' pockets. there already are more players online than before, which generates more revenue. it might aswell turn out to be both.

#15 Renkotsu

Renkotsu

Tom Cruise

Posted 05 April 2013 - 5:38 PM

I find it quite hilarious that people are saying that they want these servers untouched. For one thing, Jagex said that the servers would remain untouched IF the vote remains at 50,000. Instead, we got a six-month trial period where we would have polls deciding new content, an anti-bot upgrade, and all that stuff.

Jagex can never win with the RS community.

Posted Image

Edited by TS Togusa, 05 April 2013 - 5:38 PM.

#16 Yuki_StarCraft

Yuki_StarCraft

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 05 April 2013 - 6:34 PM

Very nice article! Your points are spectacular and your spelling/grammar is so good!
Posted ImageRainicorn is my idol! :D

#17 Murdoc

Murdoc

*autistic screeching*

Posted 05 April 2013 - 7:43 PM

I find it quite hilarious that people are saying that they want these servers untouched. For one thing, Jagex said that the servers would remain untouched IF the vote remains at 50,000. Instead, we got a six-month trial period where we would have polls deciding new content, an anti-bot upgrade, and all that stuff.

Jagex can never win with the RS community.

Posted Image

The point was that people wanted to play for free and make the servers accessible for the FtP community too. I don't think even OSRS is worth $15 a month. No-one/not many people asked they be kept updated in some way, shape, or form given it defeats the point of bringing 07 back. Jagex threw that 'perk' in of their own accord.

XabJkFa.png

GuthixUnder-1.png

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: