Making Friends.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 _Mathonamas_

_Mathonamas_

• RS Name:Mr Rooncraft
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hopefully this topic does not make me sound like a loner, but I have a question for the community.  

Ruling out friends pre-07 server release, does anyone else find it difficult to make friends within the 07' server community?

My story:

I am part of the group of people who quit immediately after EoC was implemented.  When I heard that JaGex was going to release 07' servers, I contemplated coming back and starting Wednesday, I did.  Unfortunately, the group of friends I had, who also quit soon after the introduction of EoC, never made their comeback, and even after a convincing argument on my part, refused to come back and play.  So, I tried making new friends, friends I can share the experience and the adventure of starting all over again, and grinding to get levels and such.  Unfortunately, this journey of making new friends hasn't gone well, because quite simply, people are not sociable anymore.  I try to strike up conversations and most of time I get, "Can't talk, xp waste."  Yes, I understand their are clans and whatnot, but I've never been interested in those relationships.  I'm more of a 1-on-1 guy than 1-on-50.

Anyways, this brings me to my question/discussion, have you had success in making any new friends among the 07' server? If not, do you believe the 07' server community is just completely introverted, tunnel-visioned on their personal goals and achievements?  If so, how often do you find yourself making new friends?  Is this more of a rarity to you or a common occurrence?

Thanks for reading,
Math
Posted Image

#2 Goz

Goz

I Got It

• RS Name:Goz
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:VR
  • Team:Goz Gang

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

The majority of my friend list consists of IRL friends, clan mates & people whom I have been introduced to through existing friends.
In a game where there are elements of luring/scamming etc I generally find it hard to make friends/trust someone who I have met in-game.

So I guess for me it would be quite rare that I actually make new friends with people who I meet in the game itself.

[Violent Resolution] http://www.vr-rs.com/forums/

Posted Image

Posted Image

League of Legends NA @ WSTN

Spoiler

#3 chrisdale737

chrisdale737

E O S WOOT

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Best way to make friends is to join a clan or be active in Zchat and get to know people there.
Posted Image

#4 Pato~

Pato~

• RS Name:Pato
  • Clan:EoS
  • Team:Tko Blitz

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I made good friends long way ago, before Pest Control was released, but lost contact with em after they quit because the game changed a lot, it's probably impossible to meet em again.I think people changed too much and it's hard to trust someone you meet ingame.

Posted Image

#5 Dr Destiny

Dr Destiny

Canadian Pride

• RS Name:Dr Destinyy
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

I've actually made 2 friends, one while wcing/fming and one during a quest.. however I dont talk to them much so I guess their not really friends but we added each other

Edited by Dr Destiny, 02 March 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#6 Vigilant Foe

Vigilant Foe

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I made friends with the person I did Shield of Arrav with :-)

#7 Za m o r ak

Za m o r ak

You're not about it.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Luckily, a lot of my old school friends/teams/clans are back so I'll be alright in that aspect. I definitely agree though, it's not the same these days to make friends ingame.

#8 SuperZoofy

SuperZoofy

• RS Name:SuperZoofy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

I found it quite easy. However most people on my friends list were from the first few hours of release. Everyone was pretty talkative. However, I am active and I play for the fun of the game, not grinding or anything. Feel free to add me.
SuperZoofy!
Posted Image
~Like my nub stats? Don't get used to em! I only play Oldschool now!~

I started in 2004 when I was 8 years old. I used my home phone line for internet and got like 10 frames per second on an old E-machine. I have no idea how I loved the game so much.

*EDIT* - I joined RSC only recently, because I am an idiot. ;)

#9 Lord of Pkay

Lord of Pkay

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

I only talk to IRL friends in Rs.  I found it way harder to make friends/talk with people when I briefly became a member earlier this year than I do in 07.

#10 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Join a PvP clan.

(17:47:17) <D156> we aint fighting rot

#11 _Funk

_Funk

• RS Name:Funk
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

I've never really had too much of an issue. I haven't played that recently, but last time I came back for a bit I noticed people complaining about the same faults in the community. Maybe it's because I'm not looking for "close friends" on rs and don't really pay much mind to when people don't respond back or aren't particularly talkative, but I tend to have a lot of pleasant conversations with people when I'm skilling. Just be friendly, talkative & chill with people and start up a conversation based on whatever you're doing - much like small talk out there in the big scary outside world. You're not going to suddenly make close friends out of nowhere, that's just not how people work. So chill out a bit and just take it as it comes. Not everyone is a basement-dwelling introvert. Hell, even some of those guys are chill.

For people complaining about lack of trust on the internet: that's a good thing. You shouldn't mindlessly trust people you only know on an anonymous basis, especially when there is something to gain for breaching trust. That doesn't mean you can't get to know somebody and have a laugh. I can count four people I know solely from the internet who I would trust, and there are a lot more than four people I met on the internet who I would consider a friend.

I'm actually surprised somebody made a thread about making friends though. That's kind of funny at face-value.

Posted Image
Attempt at poignant statement goes here

#12 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

I don't think it's necessarily any harder to make new ingame friends than it was before, it's just never been that easy.  I think most of us started playing Scape because of an irl friend, and from there we became friends with their friends, and eventually joined a clan.  That's how I started at least.  98% of my friends are from a current or past clan, 1% is irl and 1% I just randomly met ingame.  I dont think ingame friends has ever been very typical, at least not for me... played since 04 btw.

With that said, I do generally find people in 07scape to be much more talkative than in the main game, at least in recent memory.  07 was awhile ago, I don't exactly recall how it was back then, but the community interaction I've partaken in at least has been increased a lot compared to the game before.

As for your specific experience, I think Funk really nailed it on the head.  You can't expect to develop friendships with players overnight on the level of your current ones which have lasted years.  It takes months/years to get to that point.  In the meantime you should be thankful for any conversations you're having and try to foster them if you're really that interested.  Otherwise, there's really absolutely nothing wrong with casual friendships in Runescape.  That's how mine have all been with only a few exceptions for the last few years.

Edited by æther, 04 March 2013 - 12:33 AM.

Posted Image

#13 _Funk

_Funk

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postæther, on 04 March 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I don't think it's necessarily any harder to make new ingame friends than it was before, it's just never been that easy.  I think most of us started playing Scape because of an irl friend, and from there we became friends with their friends, and eventually joined a clan.  That's how I started at least.  98% of my friends are from a current or past clan, 1% is irl and 1% I just randomly met ingame.  I dont think ingame friends has ever been very typical, at least not for me... played since 04 btw.

With that said, I do generally find people in 07scape to be much more talkative than in the main game, at least in recent memory.  07 was awhile ago, I don't exactly recall how it was back then, but the community interaction I've partaken in at least has been increased a lot compared to the game before.

As for you specific experience, I think Funk really nailed it on the head.  You can't expect to develop friendships with players overnight on the level of your current ones which have lasted years.  It takes months/years to get to that point.  In the meantime you should be thankful for any conversations you're having and try to foster them if you're really that interested.  Otherwise, there's really absolutely nothing wrong with casual friendships in Runescape.  That's how mine have all been with only a few exceptions for the last few years.
The older versions of Runescape did have a bit of a different dynamic to them which probably contributes to people being more talkative. Trading being entirely person to person versus the Grand Exchange I think really does add a significant social aspect to the framework of the game that carries over more generally into people's attitudes towards each other.

For the record I also didn't really have too many Runescape friends who I knew outside of the game. I was introduced to the game way back by my best friend actually, but most people quit fairly quickly and I stuck with it for some reason. About to hit 10 years since then and partook in a few certain activities to dull my memory since then so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but that's the only part of your post I disagree with..

Posted Image

#14 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

View Post_Funk, on 04 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

As for you specific experience, I think Funk really nailed it on the head.  You can't expect to develop friendships with players overnight on the level of your current ones which have lasted years.  It takes months/years to get to that point.  In the meantime you should be thankful for any conversations you're having and try to foster them if you're really that interested.  Otherwise, there's really absolutely nothing wrong with casual friendships in Runescape.  That's how mine have all been with only a few exceptions for the last few years.
The older versions of Runescape did have a bit of a different dynamic to them which probably contributes to people being more talkative. Trading being entirely person to person versus the Grand Exchange I think really does add a significant social aspect to the framework of the game that carries over more generally into people's attitudes towards each other.

For the record I also didn't really have too many Runescape friends who I knew outside of the game. I was introduced to the game way back by my best friend actually, but most people quit fairly quickly and I stuck with it for some reason. About to hit 10 years since then and partook in a few certain activities to dull my memory since then so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but that's the only part of your post I disagree with..
You bring up a good point concerning the GE.  Like you, I'm homing in on 10 years, so I definitely remember the game before the GE... but honestly, I don't have any friends from before it.  That was only 3 years of trading for me, vs 7 years of GE.  That definitely influences my perspective on it.  Plus the fact that I never got that into the game until around the time the GE hit... heck, iirc I was still F2P when it was released.

I can speak of a similar experience.  I started the summer before 4th grade, and obviously not very many people remain friends in college with their 4th grade besties.  I can't think of the last time I talked to one of them in the game, it must've been years.. and we're not exactly good friends irl anymore either, but that's beside the point.  It's pretty weird that there are some people who picked up the game, shared it with their friends and then lost interest quickly, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, people who picked it up and just took off with it, like us, or at least in a stop and start manner.

That's been my personal experience anyway.  I suppose for everyone it will be quite a different story....

Edited by æther, 04 March 2013 - 12:53 AM.

Posted Image

#15 _Funk

_Funk

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

View Postæther, on 04 March 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

View Post_Funk, on 04 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

You bring up a good point concerning the GE.  Like you, I'm homing in on 10 years, so I definitely remember the game before the GE... but honestly, I don't have any friends from before it.  That was only 3 years of trading for me, vs 7 years of GE.  That definitely influences my perspective on it.  Plus the fact that I never got that into the game until around the time the GE hit... heck, iirc I was still F2P when it was released.

I can speak of a similar experience.  I started the summer before 4th grade, and obviously not very many people remain friends in college with their 4th grade besties.  I can't think of the last time I talked to one of them in the game, it must've been years.. and we're not exactly good friends irl anymore either, but that's beside the point.  It's pretty weird that there are some people who picked up the game, shared it with their friends and then lost interest quickly, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, people who picked it up and just took off with it, like us, or at least in a stop and start manner.

That's been my personal experience anyway.  I suppose for everyone it will be quite a different story....
The summer before fourth grade! That's pretty crazy man.

Posted Image

#16 CthulhuDubstep

CthulhuDubstep

• RS Name:reesenge

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

View Postchrisdale737, on 02 March 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Best way to make friends is to join a clan or be active in Zchat and get to know people there.

this

but I am in the same boat as you man

add me in game if you ever wanna talk etc!

#17 Dark Fart

Dark Fart

• RS Name:Putitas
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

If you play rs high you dont need friends
Posted Image

#18 True 2k8

True 2k8

They were a hurricane.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I've made a fair share of new friends in 07 scape. Some random people PM me about joining my clan and I've met some people while training at the stronghold of security.

Divine Forces Leader

Posted Image

Former Community Leader of Clan Discussion | Community Leader of the UNC

#19 Tha Sour

Tha Sour

Master of Hunting

• RS Name:Tha Sour

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Really? I quit pre-EOC as well and I've found coming back with an empty friends list in 07 hasn't been a problem. In fact I've found the total opposite of what you've said and that people are more sociable (not to the level of the actual year 2007) than they have been recently. I've made a few new friends already. Try joining a clan chat or something of that nature, maybe. Or add me if you wish my private is always set to on. :)
Current goals:
Attack [60/60] Strength [59/99] Defense [45/45]
Range [80/99] Magic [83/94] Hunter [99/99]
1k/100k Black Chinchompas hunted

Posted Image

#20 3000Khrissy

3000Khrissy

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Feel free to add me "3000Khrissy". If you've got a few loyal friends, that's all you need. It can really speed up the process of levelling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: