Old-School Runescape With Modern Minigames Isn't An Impossibility.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

• RS Name:Brain Ou
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I'm sure many of you have a favorite minigame. Jagex knows you probably do too. Unfortunately, many of them didn't exist in 2007, but that doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility of them existing on the old-school servers in the future. Assuming that at some point the old-school servers reach enough popularity for Jagex to add a small dedicated team to work on it, Jagex will almost certainly want to add newer minigames (such as Fist of Guthix, Stealing Creation, Soul Wars, or any of the others) because adding other things like quests and bosses will almost certainly spoil the old-school experience - So, mostly as a thought experiment, I'd like to know what people would think of them doing that as long as they adhered to two rules...

Absolutely no rewards of any kind. No battle robes, no clay tools, no soul wars training, nothing like that.
Zero experience gain inside the games. No abusing free runes and no abusing minigames that make it easy to get a bunch of friends together to chin/barrage/whatever.

...that make it so there is no way to advance your character through these games, and make it so there is no new equipment outside of the minigames themselves. These rules would be necessary in order to make it possible to implement minigames without cheapening levels or adding 'new-school' gear, so Jagex would most likely follow them of their own accord (or by massive player demand).

The reason I'm interested in what people have to say about Jagex implementing newer minigames this way is because it seems that there are a few main reasons the majority of people want old-school servers...

No eoc/constitution
No micropayments
No handouts (SoF, mostly)
None of the newer, stronger gear
The feel of older graphics

...which wouldn't be defeated by the introduction of some of the newer minigames for the purpose of the sheer enjoyment of playing them. It doesn't seem that many people are insisting that the servers must be an exact copy of how the game was in 2007 (though some are), so I'd like to hear some opinions on the possibility of something along these lines taking place.

TL;DR: Of all possible 'content updates' that could be had if a small development team is dedicated to the old-school servers, new minigames without any rewards, purely for the fun of playing them, are the most feasible and probably the most likely. I'm not suggesting that they add said minigames, but just making note that it's pretty likely to happen if they get a team for these servers. Knowing this, what do you think?

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 21 February 2013 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

Add me on League of Legends (NA/EUW) and Steam:
"BrainiacOutcast"

#2 Amor_De_Rey

Amor_De_Rey

There can only be one king.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

stink NO

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• RS Name:ToeJam
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

ma or not interested :whistle:

Posted Image

#4 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostToeJam, on 21 February 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

ma or not interested :whistle:
MA is definitely one they might consider if they start doing content updates. Tell Jagex that, not me, though! This isn't a suggestion thread, it's food for thought.

View PostAmor_De_Rey, on 21 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

stink NO
Well, opinions are subjective and thus can't be validated or invalidated by objective information, so there's no need to explain expression of one's personal opinion. Thanks for providing your opinion.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 21 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

"BrainiacOutcast"

#5 bat3996

bat3996

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I would be EXTREMELY disappointed with any of these minigames being in the game. We are voting for 2007 runescape not an updated version of 2007 because that will eventually turn into 2013 runescape without EoC. The game was great without those minigames. If anything is removed I VERY MUCH SO hope it isn't clan wars because that will severely change the old school clan warring feel.
Posted Image

#6 Novaname

Novaname

Orange Ownage

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I suppose there are a few that I would be ok with them re-introducing, provided there are no rewards from them.

That said, there are others (like cwa) that I definitely do not want to be reintroduced, so for the sake of clarity, I will always vote no to the reintroduction of any minigame.

Former leader of 'The' Clan
"The 7th greatest clan ever"

'The' Clan forums

Posted Image

#7 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

View Postbat3996, on 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

I would be EXTREMELY disappointed with any of these minigames being in the game. We are voting for 2007 runescape not an updated version of 2007 because that will eventually turn into 2013 runescape without EoC. The game was great without those minigames. If anything is removed I VERY MUCH SO hope it isn't clan wars because that will severely change the old school clan warring feel.
Concerning clan wars, that's an opinion I share. I've always found that clan wars really edged out pkris. (though I do admit, I did enjoy the days of going on the clan wars worlds and joining one of the big fcs for 100v100 pug wars)

View PostNovaname, on 21 February 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

I suppose there are a few that I would be ok with them re-introducing, provided there are no rewards from them.

That said, there are others (like cwa) that I definitely do not want to be reintroduced, so for the sake of clarity, I will always vote no to the reintroduction of any minigame.
That definitely makes sense. No matter what they add, something else will lose a bit of activity. If FoG is re-introduced, there will be a few less hybrids at any given point. If SW is re-introduced, there will be a bit less activity in CW. If CWA is re-introduced, pkris will take a hit, though the clans who prefer pkris will still do pkris.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 21 February 2013 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

"BrainiacOutcast"

#8 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes please.  Anyone who does pkri's obviously is thrilled with 07scape as it is, but RSB players like myself feel like it's just taunting us... seeing Clan Wars brought into the game wouldn't negatively affect anyone, but would open up that part of the game to thousands who yearn for it.  As for the other minigames... I guess it wouldn't be so bad getting some of them back just for the fun of it, but nothing's really necessary quite like Clan Wars.

Posted Image

#9 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

View Postæther, on 21 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Yes please.  Anyone who does pkri's obviously is thrilled with 07scape as it is, but RSB players like myself feel like it's just taunting us... seeing Clan Wars brought into the game wouldn't negatively affect anyone, but would open up that part of the game to thousands who yearn for it.  As for the other minigames... I guess it wouldn't be so bad getting some of them back just for the fun of it, but nothing's really necessary quite like Clan Wars.
As a high council in Cruel Vengeance (back before RSB died, for all intents and purposes), I understand that Clan Wars has spawned whole communities of warring clans that preferred to take high-level gear and go to CWA. There are tons of people who want cwa and tons who fear that wilderness clans will lose out if cwa is re-introduced. Of all the possible content updates, cwa will be the hardest to balance.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 21 February 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

"BrainiacOutcast"

#10 Tok3d

Tok3d

Yeah..

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostBrainiacOutcast, on 21 February 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Concerning clan wars, that's an opinion I share. I've always found that clan wars really edged out pkris. (though I do admit, I did enjoy the days of going on the clan wars worlds and joining one of the big fcs for 100v100 pug wars)

That definitely makes sense. No matter what they add, something else will lose a bit of activity. If FoG is re-introduced, there will be a few less hybrids at any given point. If SW is re-introduced, there will be a bit less activity in CW. If CWA is re-introduced, pkris will take a hit, though the clans who prefer pkris will still do pkris.

Well, opinions are subjective and thus can't be validated or invalidated by objective information, so there's no need to explain expression of one's personal opinion. Thanks for providing your opinion.

Edited by Tok3d, 21 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#11 Flourishing

Flourishing

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

In terms of games?

There's nothing I can think of that I'd play without rewards/experience. I'm more a Distractions & Diversions guy, anyway.

#12 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostBrainiacOutcast, on 21 February 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

View Postæther, on 21 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

As a high council in CV before RSB died for all intents and purposes, I understand that Clan Wars has spawned whole communities of warring clans that preferred to take high-level gear and go to CWA. There are tons of people who want cwa and tons who fear that wilderness clans will lose out if cwa is re-introduced. Of all the possible content updates, cwa will be the hardest to balance.
I don't think that would necessarily be the result.  There are plenty of people like myself who would never consider joining a wilderness clan but would instantly jump at the opportunity to get a few clans together and get back to doing what we like best in Runescape - RSB warring.  On the other end of the spectrum is players who are dedicated to the old wilderness style clans who so obviously hate RSB (looking at you, -1 anon) that they would never step foot inside Clan Wars.  I think most people who have a passionate position on the addition of Clan Wars fall in one of these to parties.

Of course there is a third group of more casual players who would waver between these to styles of warring, but would they be dedicated members of either side if one didn't exist?  I don't think so.  AKA wilderness clans have nothing to worry about.

Edited by æther, 21 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

#13 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostTok3d, on 21 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

The opinion I shared with him is that cwa feels different from the 'old school warring feel'. The other observations aren't part of an opinion.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 21 February 2013 - 06:38 PM.

Posted Image

"BrainiacOutcast"

#14 Tok3d

Tok3d

Yeah..

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostBrainiacOutcast, on 21 February 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

View PostTok3d, on 21 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

The opinion I shared with him is that cwa feels different from the 'old school warring feel'. The other observations aren't part of an opinion.

Opinion is an opinion, regardless. Think about that next time :thumbsup:

#15 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostTok3d, on 21 February 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

-snip-
Opinion is an opinion, regardless. Think about that next time :thumbsup:
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Bat shared his opinion that the types of warring felt different and I told him I feel the same, then I posted a non-opinion observation (alternative to pkris is offered, so pkris get "edged out" to a degree), and I shared a funny little personal anecdote about some fun I had at CWA. I really don't see the problem.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 21 February 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Posted Image

"BrainiacOutcast"

#16 Mattttheww

Mattttheww

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

The reason people asked for 07scape is to have 07 scape. not have any of the bullcrap that ruined the game. Anyone who genuinely thinks cwa is a good minigame to have is deluded. Wilderness wars back in the day made this game what it was. The introduction of cwa killed so much of that with people just hiding in their scared of losing their precious rune. WHY? the idea of pking back in these days was to make money. Yes you could actually make money pking and with no stupid minigames/boss dungeons this was a legitimate way of making money. Thus creating the clan world. Rune miner gets killed by small group gets hunted by bigger group gets hunted by clan. thats how the game worked and when it was at its best. I appreciate rsb clans flourished more with the introduction of CWA but  a majority of these people never experienced the original clan war without returning just a fight to the death. That is how clanning should be added to pktrips where there are actually people to hunt and the possibility of running into a clan for an unplanned fight.

#17 Tok3d

Tok3d

Yeah..

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostMattttheww, on 21 February 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

Anyone who genuinely thinks cwa is a good minigame to have is deluded.

I wonder when people will debate without being insulting.  :wink:

Edited by Tok3d, 21 February 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#18 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

The reason people asked for 07scape is to have 07 scape. not have any of the bullcrap that ruined the game. Anyone who genuinely thinks cwa is a good minigame to have is deluded. Wilderness wars back in the day made this game what it was. The introduction of cwa killed so much of that with people just hiding in their scared of losing their precious rune. WHY? the idea of pking back in these days was to make money. Yes you could actually make money pking and with no stupid minigames/boss dungeons this was a legitimate way of making money. Thus creating the clan world. Rune miner gets killed by small group gets hunted by bigger group gets hunted by clan. thats how the game worked and when it was at its best. I appreciate rsb clans flourished more with the introduction of CWA but  a majority of these people never experienced the original clan war without returning just a fight to the death. That is how clanning should be added to pktrips where there are actually people to hunt and the possibility of running into a clan for an unplanned fight.
...or there could be both?  I'll never understand the hate that some people seem to harbour for RSB.  Wildy clans have been around for over a decade and have certainly made Runescape what it is today, though even moreso back in 07.  When the Wildy was taken away and 'replaced' with Clan Wars, I can understand the frustration and the negative feelings toward RSB because essentially what Jagex did with that move is telling thousands of players that they had to war one way and not the other.  But for the last couple of years, since the Wildy has been reintroduced, both styles of warring have coexisted.  If anything, the return of the Wildy signaled the end of an era for RSB.  It's glory days are long gone, heck I'm not sure if it even exists in EoCscape.  Now if you insist that CWA be kept out of the game you're doing what Jagex did - you must war this way, not that way.  It's just a organ move.

This is a good lesson to learn because it can be applied to 07scape if CWA is introduced to the game.  This time it would not be replacing what so many players consider to be the best part of the game - pkri -, but it would install next to it another form of warring that many other players consider to be the best part of the game.  Remember that the last time this happened Wildy Clans pretty much ruined RSB... if you honestly think bringing CWA back will have any negative effect on wildy clanning you're not looking at what's happened.  It won't even be a blip on your radar, yet many players will be content with their favourite part of the game coming back.

View PostTok3d, on 21 February 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

I wonder when people will debate without being insulting. :wink:
Could not agree with you more lol.

Edited by æther, 21 February 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Mattttheww

Mattttheww

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

is it an insult or is it an opinion which you all keep ranting on about in previous posts.

#20 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostMattttheww, on 21 February 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

is it an insult or is it an opinion which you all keep ranting on about in previous posts.
It's an opinion being expressed through an unnecessary insult.

Posted Image

"BrainiacOutcast"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: