15 replies to this topic

#1 AGS Lover

AGS Lover

highly illogical.

• RS Name:Submersion
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:None

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hi everyone.  Like (hopefully) a lot of people, I am considering getting back into the game if the 2007 servers come out alright.  I know for myself, and for a lot of other people, RuneScape was changing far too fast for me too keep up.  Everything I used to love about the game was erroding away in months.

But with the new (old) servers, this is no longer a problem. The only problem we are facing is this:

Posted Image

This is a graph of the Google search interest for "runescape". I believe it to be a fairly accurate analysis of RuneScape's popularity.

--

RuneScape has been around for over 12 years.   As we all know, keeping a game active for that long is an incredible feat.  But I would not be satisfied seeing it die off now. There is nothing I'd like more than to get onto the 2007 servers, and experience how things used to be. But that can only happen if there is enough interest left.

My question is this: Can you see RuneScape regaining popularity? If not, what change of events do you believe necessary for that to take place?

My theory is that updating it with some brand new, some already established (in previous RuneScape) changes will give it the best of both worlds - the game will be close enough for the people who used to play to get excited, and dynamic enough for interest to not die out.

Edited by AGS Lover, 21 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#2 Skulllicious

Skulllicious

Everyone else is trash

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yes I can see many old school players returning, but it will never be as popular as it was in 2007.

Posted Image

- Corruption Ending  | The Titans Ending | RPK Ending Leader -

#Cor

#3 Devil King93

Devil King93

• RS Name:Dk93
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Jaja

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Runescape may have a chance of regaining populrity but personaly, you can't bring back the past. It will never be like the actual 2007 community. A lot of people moved on and left it behind. As for contemporary concerns about 07 servers, I don't think it will be too popular because majorty of new players will consider the 2013 version of the game. To them, the 07 servers may be boring.

Edited by devil_king93, 21 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image

Ex-Terminal Ftw Member
Ex-Critical Damage Council
Ex-RoT Member
Current JaJa

#4 ruts etnies

ruts etnies

playing since '03

• RS Name:Ruts
  • Clan:/

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

The biggest reason that people quit these days is because they grow up and a game like runescape doesn't amuse them like it did when they were younger. That's why everyone is so excited (so am I) about the 2007-server, because we are nostalgic to the time that we were still satisfied with a game like that. I'm pro 2007-servers, but I think a lot of people will quit after a while because that nostalgic feeling will dissapear after some weeks/months.

Runescape players are also kinda scared for change. I was never satisfied with big diffrences like EoC and stuff, but after a while i start thinking actually it isn't that bad.
That combined with lots of diffrent games that are f2p/better graphics/other gameplay is a reason for the low number of players these days. Back in my days there was no single game like Runescape that was so nice and free. That's why I started playing Runescape and because it became a important part of my life I stick with it while there are lots of better games I would play if that wasn't the case.

Edited by ruts etnies, 21 February 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#5 pur3 str0ng2

pur3 str0ng2

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

View Postruts etnies, on 21 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

The biggest reason that people quit these days is because they grow up and a game like runescape doesn't amuse them like it did when they were younger.

Quoting this for Thruth.. People that was playing around 6-7 Years ago started playing when they were younger let's say at 12.. 6-7 Years later that makes it 18-19+ so people get less fun from the game. Now that people has less fun, They bring EOC wich is completly different from old runescape, People that were getting tired of RS are starting to quit cause they have to learn over a part of the game wich is the first thing they have done when playing rs.. Combat.

As Skullicious said, Many will come back but not everyone.. And Especially that there will be a cost for playing the server..

- Current Poison Member -

~ THE POISON IS SPREADING ~

Posted Image

<R> <A> <I> <D> <E> <R> ,.,.,., <P> <R> <I> <D> <E>

°°°

Proud Ex Crimson Raiders Posted ImageModerator for ~3Years

R.I.P CR 2012 :(

#6 bat3996

bat3996

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I am actually optimistic about Runescape's future growth. If the 2007 servers are done correctly and no bad updates are implemented like the G.E, CWA, etc. then I can see the game progressing. Clans are already starting to reopen which is exciting and I think as long as we try hard enough to create a good community it will work. The old Runescape still has its charm to me and I believe others feel the same. I won't be playing as often as I did when I was younger, but I will make an effort to get back into the game again.

The bottom line is that now Runescape is providing two services for two different groups of players. There is definitely going to be an increase in playerbase, in my opinion.
Posted Image

#7 CL Trevor

CL Trevor

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Our generation of online gaming:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Newer generation of online gaming:

Posted Image

It isn't JUST Runescape that's losing it's popularity, it's WoW and Guild Wars too. Our generation of gaming is just another step for newer games (like LoL) to rise up to the throne. Age plays a huge role with generations of games, you'll see more searches for PS3 and 360 than you will with the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo. The bad updates and Jagex approach on community service helped lower the popularity but it wasn't the only reason(s) for it's popularity fall. Most kids nowadays do not enjoy the grind RS has to offer compared to other online games that are present right now.

Edited by CL Trevor, 21 February 2013 - 01:41 PM.

- Member of Chivalry Legions - #CL on SeersIRC & SwiftIRC -

#8 The1337God

The1337God

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostCL Trevor, on 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Our generation of online gaming:

http://i.imgur.com/asRDruY.png

http://i.imgur.com/JoqkZ5Z.png

Newer generation of online gaming:

http://i.imgur.com/4BcPPOC.png

It isn't JUST Runescape that's losing it's popularity, it's WoW and Guild Wars too. Our generation of gaming is just another step for newer games (like LoL) to rise up to the throne. Age plays a huge role with generations of games, you'll see more searches for PS3 and 360 than you will with the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo. The bad updates and Jagex approach on community service helped lower the popularity but it wasn't the only reason(s) for it's popularity fall. Most kids nowadays do not enjoy the grind RS has to offer compared to other online games that are present right now.
+1 on this, but I'm a firm believer that the game will make for a rapid success, be buckled in folks ;).

#9 zhellblah

zhellblah

• RS Name:zhellblah

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

ITT: 20 year olds talk about "back in my day". Seriously guys? 2007 was NOT that long ago.

#10 Killdogg9pp8

Killdogg9pp8

Proud Shadow Elf

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I see a few old school players returning, but not alot. Alot of people now have grown up since they played and wouldn't even consider coming back to the game. I imagine a few newer players will start on the 2007 servers after hearing all the hype from those of us that played back in 2007. Hopefully it takes off though, and the clan world recovers from all the updates of recent times.

Semi-Retired

#11 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I can tell from experience that 2007 Runescape has not aged well and with the many other options nowadays, it's gonna be tough to rival even the worst days of 2007 Runescape to the best days of the upcoming new servers. Most of the people who have played before now have much more commitments to their daily lives and those who are joining in the new servers with little or no experience are going to have a hard time concentrating on a game that requires hours of grinding for not much more than personal glory and PvP.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 The Magebank

The Magebank

Yes, i also like to live dangerously.

• RS Name:The Magebank

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Old school players coming back yes, brand new players coming in from nowhere to play 07 or even EoC, a bit harder to accomplish. Hoping 07 is active though because its all ill be on

Posted Image

#13 x Jords

x Jords

'Twas a good game of scape.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postpur3 str0ng2, on 21 February 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

View Postruts etnies, on 21 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

The biggest reason that people quit these days is because they grow up and a game like runescape doesn't amuse them like it did when they were younger.

Quoting this for Thruth.. People that was playing around 6-7 Years ago started playing when they were younger let's say at 12.. 6-7 Years later that makes it 18-19+ so people get less fun from the game. Now that people has less fun, They bring EOC wich is completly different from old runescape, People that were getting tired of RS are starting to quit cause they have to learn over a part of the game wich is the first thing they have done when playing rs.. Combat.

As Skullicious said, Many will come back but not everyone.. And Especially that there will be a cost for playing the server..

+1 to this. It's really that simple we're getting old. It's like music and everything else that sets each generation apart. Interests in specific genres of anything come and go but the feeling of supuriority never leaves those who experience it. The LoL generation probably thinks it's the best thing ever, much like we did for runescape.

#14 Elsol

Elsol

• RS Name:El Sol
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

OSR NEEDS to be have a F2P option. In time, those f2pers will prove to be a key investment in that a lot them will become members themselves. I'm sure many potential players are turned off by the double-membership fee just to play an older version of RS...

Posted Image

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
Ayn Rand

#15 AGS Lover

AGS Lover

highly illogical.

• RS Name:Submersion
  • Clan:None

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostElsol, on 23 February 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

OSR NEEDS to be have a F2P option. In time, those f2pers will prove to be a key investment in that a lot them will become members themselves. I'm sure many potential players are turned off by the double-membership fee just to play an older version of RS...

I agree. We'll see what Jagex does after the voting.

#16 Last_Seconds

Last_Seconds

Above The Influence

• RS Name:Last_Seconds

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostElsol, on 23 February 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Exactly this.  F2p is necessary to drive sales in a situation where there is an additional cost. Although it's much less necessary if they just include 07scape in the cost of membership.

That being said, I think we're either going to hit the goal or come close enough to it to where it would be a bad move on their part to move forward with an additional cost.  We've proven the demand is there, and this has allowed them to sell memberships on accounts that had been inactive for years.  

Ironically, the past version is the future of the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: