* * * * * 3 votes

(P2P) Melee Training Guide 1-99

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Ideas for the Next Guide (151 member(s) have cast votes)

2007 Runescape Guide?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Post-EoC Training Guide?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

This took quite a while to come up with and all is not perfect. The upcoming updates that will soon be implemented will change a few things. I'm talking about the rebalance of Dual Wielding and level scaling of weapons so when something like that happens, I'll be sure to take a look into it. I'll only be covering 2H Weapons because it's much faster to train rather than using fancy Dual Wielding Weapons. They're more for Momentum Training and Bossing purposes (Drygore Only).

Now, onto the guide!

With all that's happened Post-EoC, I haven't seen a proper training guide for any combat skill so I thought I'd take it upon myself to categorize my findings and show you guys the most efficient way to get to 99 Attack, Strength, and Defense as soon as possible.  In this guide, I'll be covering only the bare basics when it comes to combating monsters for XP like weapons, armor choices, monsters, Prayers, and Action Bar setup.

Enjoy!

Basic Abilities

Learn it, live it, love it.

This is the backbone of the EoC. There's a lot to say about basic abilities. This is your engine, essentially. Everyone relies on these key abilities and these abilities should be the most plentiful on your Action Bar at all times. Some are better than others and some are downright worthless. I'm going to explain in depth each ability and break it down for everyone and give my rating for each ability out of 10 (10 being a must have and 1 being absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel bad).

Spoiler

Threshold Abilities

This is where the fun begins. When it comes to Melee, the Threshold Abilities are absolutely mindbogglingly powerful. From amazing 3x3 abilities to overpowered destruction, this is where combat really shines. For those of you who don't know, these abilities require at least 50% Adrenaline (You'll learn this in the Combat Academy) and it takes away a small chunk for each Threshold Ability used. Use these sparing and only when you really feel it's necessary because unlike basic abilities  these shouldn't be used anytime it's available.

Spoiler

Ultimate Abilities

The 'creme da la creme' of combat. When training, you won't be using these very often as they take away your entire Adrenaline Bar once it reaches 100% and you use it so be very careful. They're very flashy in their nature so use them when you're feeling bored. I'll only be covering one Ultimate Ability because it's the only one you're going to be using, Berserk.

Berserk (Doubles Damage for 20 Seconds/60 Seconds)
Rating: 11/10

Posted Image
This Ultimate Ability lets your Basic Abilities hit like Threshold Abilities and Threshold Abilites hit like Ultimate Abilties. This is the only Ultimate Ability that you should be using and one that you'll utilize when training Melee. Be careful when using this because you also take double the damage for 20 seconds which can be a bit painful, but the benefits vastly outweigh the cost. Use this at all times. I recommend using this very highly.

Action Bar Setups

I'm sure many of you have much different setups than I do, but these setups have worked for me time and time again. They may not be perfect, but then again, this guide is the bible of Melee. Go with your own play style and key setups.

Here are some key things to know:

• Your number keys right above your letter keys are different from your your other keys. When hold 0-9, you can essentially spam that key like you would if you were holding an autofire button on a controller. This is great because this allows for a more relaxed play style for everyone.
  • When playing on different accounts, your keyboard setup for the Action Bar on your previous account will be memorized and be transferred to the account you're currently playing.
  • The Action Bar isn't limited to Abilities only. You can also put potions, quick Prayers, and food on the action bar just to name a few. This is quite helpful because you don't have to cycle through your tabs as much as people use to.

For conventional 1v1 Melee Training:
Posted Image
Like I said on my little tip section for Action Bars, I have my 4 most spammable abilities on four keys that my hand will constantly be on. Q-W-E are right under 1-4 so my hand won't be all over the keyboard. The reason why I don't have a key for my sever and other consumables is because I like clicking on them rather than having a dedicated key for them. You can set one if you want, but I prefer to leave it empty.

For 2+ Target Melee Training:
Posted Image
Not much is changed from the above setup other than moving Berserk to manual clicking and adding in Quake. I have the basic skeleton there, just with a added touch of AoE.

Prayers

When it comes to training, Prayer should always be on your mind. It increases DPS which in turns gives you more XP/Hour. At all times, have it on no matter what. Prayer might be a little expensive to the uninitiated or funded, but believe me, it's an essential requirement for future PvM/Bossing. For the sake of the guide, I'll only be explaining 5 Prayers, Turmoil (95), Soul Split (92), Piety (70), Incredible Reflexes (34), and Ultimate Strength (31).

Spoiler

Armors

As most of you know, Armor plays a much bigger role in the EoC now than it did before. With Soul Split, you could go naked everywhere and still have full Lifepoints then entire time, but those who aren't as fortunate, here are my suggestions.

Spoiler

Weapon Choices

After the EoC, many weapons have been changed drastically. Weapons that people wouldn't imagine training with have now become viable options for many. When it comes to weapon tiers i.e. weapons of the same level, the stats are exactly the same if they're within their category like 2H Weapons and 1H Weapons. For the sake of the guide, I'll only be discussing weapons from 50-80 because the weapons at the level range are the ones that really matter when it comes to training.

Spoiler

Training Areas/Monsters

I recommend training Attack first before all other Melee Skills because the better the weapon, the easier time you'll have at training.

Here is probably where you guys wanted to see first hand of. This is where most of my research as went through and I think that these spots are hard to beat in terms of XP/Hour.  Without further ado, let's get started!

Your First Day:

1-50/60 (Optional)

Posted Image

Best Location: Taverly (South of the cave)

Estimated time from 1-50/60: 2-3 Hours/5-6 Hours (60)

Suggested Action Bar: 1v1/Momentum

Suggest Weapon: Dual Claws/Daggers

Before you start calling me crazy, I want you to hear my out. 30 xp per kill might not seem like a lot, but with the speed of two 'fastest' speed weapons i.e. Dual Claws/Daggers, you should mow down these guys in no time. The best place to train would be Taverly because of the close proximity and fast spawn. At this stage, you're getting use to all the changes that come with the EoC and this is a great starting point because it's not that much different from Pre-EoC Training. This training period should go extremely quick.

Feet in the Water:

50-60

Posted Image

Best Location: 4th Floor of Stronghold of Security

Estimated time from 50-60: 2.5-3 Hours

Suggested Action Bar: 1v1

Suggested Weapon: Any Rune 2H Weapon

Being F2P and weak to Magic rather than Melee, people are quick to judge these and push them across the side, but this monster which is also one of the best F2P monsters to train on aren't too bad for P2P Melee Training. The Xp is more or less the same as Cows, but I felt people needed a change rather than running around and tagging Cows for their 1-60 venture. This is a great indicator to how training is suppose to be like.

Getting the Hang of it:

60-70

Posted Image

Best Location: Island East of Yanille

Estimated time from 60-70: 4 Hours

Suggested Action Bar: 2+/1v1

Suggested Weapon: Tzhaar-Ket-Om

I discovered this gem of a monster when I was messing around with my test account for Melee training and I have to say, this monster is absolutely amazing. You guys may be wondering why I didn't choose Deadly Red Spiders over this monsters. The reason is that DRS have way too much Defense for them to be viable just yet and Jungle Spiders have a surprisingly low Defense despite the two spiders level difference only to be about 10. Plus, this is an extremely barren training area and they only hit 1s which is perfect for people with very low Defense to train on.

New Monster? Bring it on!

70-80

Posted Image

Best Location: Chaos Tunnels

Estimated time from 70-80: ~7 Hours

Suggested Weapon: Verac's Flail (70-75), Saradomin Sword (75-80)

I'm always pretty excited when I mention this monster because it use to be such a lowly monster before the EoC came to and now it's grown up to one of the end game training methods. Very proud of it's journey, but not with all the botters infesting the places that these inhabit. Of all the places, the Chaos Tunnels has the best spawn, location and amount of people there. While there is at least one bot per world in the area, there should be enough spawn for 2-3 people there. Very easy and you should be getting a level every hour.

Dungeoneering

At this point, you should be doing some Dungeoneering for the best weapon in game, the Chaotic Maul. Getting 200K tokens is worth the long headaches you may have and it's a great way to break away from the training you've been doing for Melee. Of course, you can gain some much needed XP from Dungeoneering as well, but your main goal is to get that Chaotic Maul.

Slayer

When it comes down to it, Slayer is also a great way to make some money and Melee XP. Ideally  you want to get as much as you want because the higher level Slayer monsters give massive amount of XP per kill and some nice drops. Once you past 80 Attack/Strength/Defense, you should take a look into Slayer because not only are the rewards pretty big, but also it's a nice break from the monotonous training.

The End Game:

80+

Before I gush about the monsters I'm about to show you, keep in mind that some of the suggested may include a Slayer level, Prayer Level, Overload usage and more in depth knowledge of enemy placement and respawn points. These calculation are based on using a Chaotic Maul and a Maxed Account.

Posted Image

Best Location: Chaos Tunnel

Estimated time from 80-99: ~30 Hours

Suggested Weapon: Chaotic Maul

This took me by a HUGE surprise and I discovered this when I was messing around in the Chaos Tunnels. Referring to my comment about the Chaotic Maul, it does not give a crap about what weakness you have. The Chaotic Maul will rip through almost anything and everything accurately and you'll be laughing your way all the way to the Warrior's Guild. Keep in mind this monster drops Water Orbs which is great for some money.

Posted Image

Best Location: Mourner Tunnels

Estimated time from 80-99: ~32 Hours

I borrowed the same concept from Waterfiends and I got another great, untouched gem just like Waterfiends. Amazing results would soon some later. You need 90 Slayer to combat these and that should veer some people away from these guys, but other than that, it's a solid option for those who are looking for some quick XP.

Posted Image

Best Location: Slayer Tower

Estimated time from 80-99: 26 Hours

One of my favorite monsters in the game is also consider the best among all the training monsters thanks to the new Slayer Contracts update. You'll need 85 Slayer to attempt these guys. A good chunk of XP comes from those contracts and I suggest you capitalize on them. Sadly, Abyssal Whips are very low in value, but they do drop a great amount of Crimson Charms.

Posted Image

Best Location: Brimhaven Resource Dungeon

Estimated time from 80-99: 42 Hours

I thought I'd put something more fun and exciting for you guys. In the past, people couldn't even dream about taking these guys down with Melee. Now, they crumble under the power of the Chaotic Maul just like the rest. The Brimhaven Resource Dungeon has these in stock right in front of the entrance. Make sure you have Super Antifire Potion because their Dragonfire Breath is no joke.

Posted Image

Best Location: Chaos Tunnel Resource Dungeon

Estimated time from 80-99: 39 Hours

Another case of Chaotic Maul putting in work. These guys are more or less like Deadly Red Spiders, only way less crowded and 4 times bigger in terms of square presence. They go down just as easy and despite being a Magic user, they fall very easily. Don't be fooled by their appearances.

Ending

With all said and done, this is what the EoC Melee is in a nutshell. If you take in my guide, you should be able to get 1-99 in one Melee skill in less than 70 hours which was unheard Pre-EoC when the best method of training (Dagganoth Sentinels) reaching only to ~220K an hour for most people.

This took quite a while to complete so if this helped you and there are some errors, please post so I can improve this guide for future players

Thanks for reading!

Credits

Runescape Wikia

(For Pictures)

JessyU

(Dismember mistake '125% not 150%')

Edited by Milktea4me, 17 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Bravo Milk. More fine work :-)

This ought to make getting 90+ melee stats SO much easier. And here everyone said that MeleeScape wouldn't come back :evil:

#3 Sp x

Sp x

eats u

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Good job. Helps me finish 96-99 strength for max melee since the nerf of icefiends =(
x

#4 Lighten

Lighten

Aus Pride

• RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Poison
  • Team:Trinity

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Excellent guide, would help people to max out melee and assist newcomers/lower levels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Gountor5

Gountor5

BROWN MAMBA

• RS Name:Gountor5
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

dayyyuuuummm, 50K XP/H ON COWS WOOOT YOLOSWAGBEAR

#6 Dillon

Dillon

Pro Binder

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Good guide mate! That would be very useful to some people who need this guide to train their combat. I hope you make a range guide, I might just log in to train range and try and get 99 range if you happen to make a really good guide. :)

Edited by Dillon, 16 February 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Have any questions or concerns, feel free to give me a pm

swiftirc- /query Dillon

#7 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostDillon, on 16 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Good guide mate! That would be very useful to some people who need this guide to train their combat. I hope you make a range guide, I might just log in to train range and try and get 99 range if you happen to make a really good guide. :)
That's definitely in the works depending on the response of this account.

Posted Image

#8 Skillzy

Skillzy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Interesting... I quit when EoC came out so it seems RS has become less grind and more boosting your gear.

Former member of the Events and Blog team.

Ex- High Council of the #1 Pure Clan Fatality.

Retired 2011.

Posted Image

#9 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostSkillzy, on 16 February 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Interesting... I quit when EoC came out so it seems RS has become less grind and more boosting your gear.
More or less. Weapons play a huge role than before now.

Posted Image

#10 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

When i see a tip posted by you i have high expectations... needless to say those are ALWAYS met or exceeded, you have quite a nick for making great guides/tips, hats off to you, another great guide.
Posted Image

#11 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

View Postfiery 2hh, on 16 February 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

When i see a tip posted by you i have high expectations... needless to say those are ALWAYS met or exceeded, you have quite a nick for making great guides/tips, hats off to you, another great guide.
Much appreciated. Glad you like it! If all goes well, the other 2 styles will receive the same treatment.

Posted Image

#12 SublimeRS

SublimeRS

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

5000000X better than mine man. Amazing job!

#13 Cookson

Cookson

3RD PERSON LEGEND

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Nice guide, you could add in about the demon horn necklace + a bonecrusher, I have been training at fire giants in the chaos tunnels and it's quite afkable with momentum. All I bring is an inv of overloads and just soul split any health lost.

#14 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostCookson, on 16 February 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

Nice guide, you could add in about the demon horn necklace + a bonecrusher, I have been training at fire giants in the chaos tunnels and it's quite afkable with momentum. All I bring is an inv of overloads and just soul split any health lost.
I'll see where I should put that in (Prayer section mostly likely). As for Fire Giants, I found that they have way too much Lifepoints to consider training on them when there are way better alternatives.

Posted Image

#15 SublimeRS

SublimeRS

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

also, the level 2 cows in Taverley give 40 exp per kill

#16 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostSublimeRS, on 16 February 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

also, the level 2 cows in Taverley give 40 exp per kill
I prefer the bigger ones in the pen because you don't have to run around and catch up to that spawn over there.

Posted Image

#17 The Major

The Major

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

it's times like this that make me wonder how the hell people managed to get 99 melee stats with a subpar rate of ~50k-70k xp/h

i mean, dagannoth sentinels at the time were a HUGE breakthrough for melee training.

#18 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostTS Togusa, on 16 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

it's times like this that make me wonder how the hell people managed to get 99 melee stats with a subpar rate of ~50k-70k xp/h

i mean, dagannoth sentinels at the time were a HUGE breakthrough for melee training.
I agree. When I first heard about it and wrote the guide on it, I was completely in shock on how Jagex let something like that with that unique mechanic be released like that.
Fun Fact: The Dagganoth Sentinel Guide I made influences me to make more guides. :-D

If you guys would like me to give you guys my two cents on the 2007 Runescape content or would rather me put out another Post-EoC Training Guide, leave your selection on the Poll I just implemented.

Get your votes in!

Edited by Milktea4me, 16 February 2013 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image

#19 The Major

The Major

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostMilktea4me, on 16 February 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostTS Togusa, on 16 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I agree. When I first heard about it and wrote the guide on it, I was completely in shock on how Jagex let something like that with that unique mechanic be released like that.

Fun Fact: The Dagganoth Sentinel Guide I made influences me to make more guides. :-D

I'm pretty sure that somewhere, somewhere in the world . . . BrotherVoid1 is crying because he didn't get to collab with you on this one :suspect:

#20 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostTS Togusa, on 16 February 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that somewhere, somewhere in the world . . . BrotherVoid1 is crying because he didn't get to collab with you on this one :suspect:
It wasn't something really complex and needed a lot of testing like Dagganoth Sentinels did, but I would have loved his help either way.

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: