Unrealistic Prices If <250K

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Robin1

Sir_Robin1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

http://services.rune...22110834,#18433

Hi, from the looks of it, the vote has slowed down to about 1k votes/hour and it will most likely go down hill from there which means we might not reach 250k, which I believe is really sad for me and many others that will re-subscribe to Runescape just for the 2007 version of the game.

So let's say we don't reach 250k, that means we have to pay *7.95 + $15 / month which equals $22.95. Which I BELIEVE is too high for the amount of work Jagex have to do in order for this to happen. Here's one of the reasons:

"2006 was 7 years ago. Which means if Moore's law of computing holds true (and it generally does) then it means that if each server was able to hold only one world back in 2006, the current servers will be able to hold many more 2006 worlds.

For example (this isn't completely precise, obviously, but it's a good estimate) 7 years into 18 months is 4.67 "Moore periods" and if average computing power of modern systems doubles every 18 months, then 2^4.67 is 25.4 times the computing power we had in 2006."

Which means that Jagex will be able to run 25 - 26 worlds of the 2007 version for the price of 1 current version (2013).

All they're doing with the 50k - 249k is bringing back some worlds, with some critical maintance abilities. No anti-bot, no bug fixes (unless critical) etc. I doubt that'll cost them much at all.

I would/will still pay the $22,95 since I am working and that's about 1 hour of work every month for me. But I'm sure it's too high of a price for students and unemployed people.

To me this fee seems too high for the amount of work Jagex has to put into this.

TL;DR - $22,95/month too high for just a few servers and critical maintance.

http://nbk-rs.com/rsvotetracker

Edited by Sir_Robin1, 16 February 2013 - 08:39 AM.

http://ladda-upp.se/...2013/b46545.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#2 Earl

Earl

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

andrew gower leaves. enter the greedy modern game designers.
Posted Image

#3 Magick

Magick

outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I still think  it can get 250k within the next two weeks, it has only been a day. Though, it is concerning how much it has slowed down.

Posted Image

#4 Aceman

Aceman

The King

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

As much as some of us complain about missing old Runescape, we don't want it back if we have to start at a level 3. I don't know about you, but I know myself and many others feel this way and that's why we just don't care enough to vote. That, along with the fact that people need membership to vote is just too much for it to be able to succeed in the votes you'd need/.

#5 Sir_Robin1

Sir_Robin1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostAceman, on 16 February 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

As much as some of us complain about missing old Runescape, we don't want it back if we have to start at a level 3. I don't know about you, but I know myself and many others feel this way and that's why we just don't care enough to vote. That, along with the fact that people need membership to vote is just too much for it to be able to succeed in the votes you'd need/.

We have already succeeded with bringing back the 2007 version. Myself and probably most people that voted 'yes' are fine/happy with starting from scratch. About the membership; If you buy 1 month of membership and vote you will recieve 1 month of free membership ones the 2007 worlds arrive, which makes voting free if you were going to play the 2007 version anyways, in fact cheaper if it doesn't reach 250k ($7,95 instead of $7,95 + $15). And why not vote? If you were unable to play RSC at the moment and there was a poll to whether they'd bring back some RSC servers or not I would vote so that the people who wants to play RSC would be able to.
http://ladda-upp.se/...2013/b46545.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#6 TheFireproof

TheFireproof

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

This is a game run by a company, they are profit driven. I assume the reason why they price is so high is because they expect people to come back for a month then quit, leaving them with all the server server maintenance and costs associated with starting 2k7 up coming out of the war chest for the other game. Remember, they will not be

Furthermore, The value of something isn't predicated on the amount of work it takes for someone to produce that thing, worth comes from how much people will pay for it. We need to stop trying to value of things artificially, what needs to be done is give Jagex a financial reason to lower the price by showing them that demand will increase and far offset the lost in profit margins.

Furthermore, to the people that are mad that you need to be a member to vote, remember, the servers will be brought back with an increased membership fee. People who are f2p are less likely to subscribe, and even pay more than current subscription prices, than members so their votes are less indicative of true interest.
Posted Image

#7 Aceman

Aceman

The King

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostSir_Robin1, on 16 February 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

We have already succeeded with bringing back the 2007 version. Myself and probably most people that voted 'yes' are fine/happy with starting from scratch. About the membership; If you buy 1 month of membership and vote you will recieve 1 month of free membership ones the 2007 worlds arrive, which makes voting free if you were going to play the 2007 version anyways, in fact cheaper if it doesn't reach 250k ($7,95 instead of $7,95 + $15). And why not vote? If you were unable to play RSC at the moment and there was a poll to whether they'd bring back some RSC servers or not I would vote so that the people who wants to play RSC would be able to.

People don't care because they don't want to train from level 3s. Training wasn't as easy as it is now with op weapons and potions that get you 200k an hour, the game was far more grinding back then. People are thinking about only the pros, and not the cons here. Think about how it was in 07 and think about starting a new character. If you ask anybody who played rs for a short amount of time they usually stopped at low levels cuz they didn't like it.

#8 Jordy.

Jordy.

Forsaken forever

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

We should be able to get 250k, but let's see how many people actually are going to play it because of the starting from scratch thingy.

Dream as if you’ll live forever.

Posted Image

#9 No2h

No2h

Officially quit RuneScape.

• RS Name:No2h
  • Clan:E Nergnhnef

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think we'll get 250k votes, 500k is the most I see us getting. Hopefully we won't have to pay 22.95 a month but if that's what we have to do, I'm more than willing to pay that.

Posted Image

#10 Sir_Robin1

Sir_Robin1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostAceman, on 16 February 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

People don't care because they don't want to train from level 3s. Training wasn't as easy as it is now with op weapons and potions that get you 200k an hour, the game was far more grinding back then. People are thinking about only the pros, and not the cons here. Think about how it was in 07 and think about starting a new character. If you ask anybody who played rs for a short amount of time they usually stopped at low levels cuz they didn't like it.

I've played since 03' so I'm very well aware that is was far more grinding back then, and when you say "People are thinking about only the pros", who are the people? It's not you, it's not me and it's not any of my friends at least. I think you underestimate people's logical thinking. Most of the people who will play 2007 would've had a decent account back then which probably means they were around 13 of age or something like that, those people are now in or close to their 20's. Of course people stop playing every now and then, I've stopped for maybe 3 years in total since 2003, same with other games like WoW, CS1,6, DotA etc. That will always be the case and it is happening in the 2013 version as well.

#11 Aceman

Aceman

The King

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostSir_Robin1, on 16 February 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I've played since 03' so I'm very well aware that is was far more grinding back then, and when you say "People are thinking about only the pros", who are the people? It's not you, it's not me and it's not any of my friends at least. I think you underestimate people's logical thinking. Most of the people who will play 2007 would've had a decent account back then which probably means they were around 13 of age or something like that, those people are now in or close to their 20's. Of course people stop playing every now and then, I've stopped for maybe 3 years in total since 2003, same with other games like WoW, CS1,6, DotA etc. That will always be the case and it is happening in the 2013 version as well.

Exactly, now that we're all 20+ they've lost their core group. They've lost the people who had accounts back then and would actually play to get it back.

#12 Sir_Robin1

Sir_Robin1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostAceman, on 16 February 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

View PostSir_Robin1, on 16 February 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Exactly, now that we're all 20+ they've lost their core group. They've lost the people who had accounts back then and would actually play to get it back.

Obviously they haven't lost the people. They've lost a majority, I would assume 60%. But back to your main point; you won't vote because YOU and many others don't want to start from lvl 3? Surely you must have loads of friends that would like to try 2007 at least if you were somewhat involved with clans and pking. Why not help them out? :)

#13 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostSir_Robin1, on 16 February 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

"2006 was 7 years ago. Which means if Moore's law of computing holds true (and it generally does) then it means that if each server was able to hold only one world back in 2006, the current servers will be able to hold many more 2006 worlds.

For example (this isn't completely precise, obviously, but it's a good estimate) 7 years into 18 months is 4.67 "Moore periods" and if average computing power of modern systems doubles every 18 months, then 2^4.67 is 25.4 times the computing power we had in 2006."

It's cute how you think this is at all a valid argument.

#14 Aceman

Aceman

The King

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostSir_Robin1, on 16 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Obviously they haven't lost the people. They've lost a majority, I would assume 60%. But back to your main point; you won't vote because YOU and many others don't want to start from lvl 3? Surely you must have loads of friends that would like to try 2007 at least if you were somewhat involved with clans and pking. Why not help them out? :)

Honestly no. I grew up with 6 kids I played Runescape with. Only one of them still plays, and the other 5 are not interested in coming back under any circumstances. People have outgrown the game. It's the same way that when I was younger I could actually go to those 12 hours fights for RoT, but now a days I couldn't even attend a 3 hr fight.

#15 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

The prices really depends on the person. For me, I'll only play 07Scape at times where I don't really have much to do and feel like going on a trip down memory lane. It's not something I'm going to constantly play unless I decide to pay for the yearly package if there is any. I doubt people will constantly pay $15 for 07Scape, but people will definitely pay once in a while.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Sir_Robin1

Sir_Robin1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostAceman, on 16 February 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

View PostSir_Robin1, on 16 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Honestly no. I grew up with 6 kids I played Runescape with. Only one of them still plays, and the other 5 are not interested in coming back under any circumstances. People have outgrown the game. It's the same way that when I was younger I could actually go to those 12 hours fights for RoT, but now a days I couldn't even attend a 3 hr fight.

I was RoT back in the day as well and I know RoT members that wants this to happen. I didn't just refer to IRL friends, I meant people you know and are friends with on RS. You must've been having a good time with us, on teamspeak, clan wars etc. And many of those people you played with and probably liked wants this update, so why not just throw your vote in there? You won't make things worse for yourself :)

View PostMilktea4me, on 16 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

The prices really depends on the person. For me, I'll only play 07Scape at times where I don't really have much to do and feel like going on a trip down memory lane. It's not something I'm going to constantly play unless I decide to pay for the yearly package if there is any. I doubt people will constantly pay $15 for 07Scape, but people will definitely pay once in a while.

I feel the same. I'm not going in to this hardcore, I got a  job, I hit the gym a lot and I go out most weekends. I'm going to play this version of RS whenever I wan't to (which will be a lot the first 1 - 3 months), just becuase I like everything about it. For me with a job, $15 ain't much and I would gladly pay 1 hour of work(~$26) for 1 month of RS2007.

#17 zoth01

zoth01

• RS Name:crovaxx07
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

To people evoking "the game in 2007 was extremely grinding";

To many of us, skilling and grinding all the way back from lvl3 (opposed to the real profit that only seems to come from pvm nowadays) is exactly one of the things that make 2007scape an attractive idea.

I am everything I want to be, I am a Lucid Dreamer.

#18 Fefe2

Fefe2

• RS Name:Fefe2
  • Clan:Damage Inc

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Its not that bad starting from lvl 3, especially when everyone will be and there is no economy its kind of half the fun imo, takes a while for people to do progress

#19 iiw pk w i i

iiw pk w i i

• RS Name:Im Nate
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

I think we will reach 250k but if we don't I'm hoping the high price will drive away all those kids who like to bot. I would GLADLY pay $30-$40 a month for 1 acc to play RS if I KNEW for a fact there were little to no bots, which is pretty much impossible but hopefully the high cost will help shave off some.
Im Nate ~ First 60 Attack Piety Account in 07 scape                                               Kenshin Sama ~ 85 Att 99 Str Initiate Pure
                First to achieve Barrow Gloves - March 3rd, 2013
                30th to 99 Construction - Jan 7th, 2014
                66th to 99 Runecrafting (top 15 to do it completely solo) - February 16th, 2014
Lil Daranged ~ Maxed Tank - Jan 25th 2014                                                          Neveid ~ 50 att Zerker pure
                        182nd to 99 Def.

OSRS Totals as of 2/16/14

Quest Points: 656                       Magic Exp: 49M
Exp: 217.2M                                Range Exp: 22.8M
Melee Exp: 54.17M                      99s: 8
Total Level: 5876

#20 jotao16

jotao16

• RS Name:jotao16
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:TCL

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

There will be more people playing this servers then the actual game so they will just lower the membership probably
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: