I Feel Like I'm The Only One

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 zhellblah

zhellblah

• RS Name:zhellblah
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Am I the only one who actually LIKES the EOC? Initially, when the combat beta came out, I was less than impressed. The difficult-to-navigate ability book and the ability to dual-wield crossbows (Seriously, how does this even work??) turned me off completely. I wanted nothing to do with this new combat system! Before trying it (or even completing the tutorial) I abandoned the idea and counted down the days until Runescape would be ruined for me forever. Months passed after I promised I had quit for good, when curiosity finally got the better of me. I logged on to see what one of my old favorites had turned in to.

And I have to say, I'm impressed. The ability book was vastly improved and much more manageable. After a few minutes of toying around, I found some ability combos that were quite devastating, and I haven't turned back since. Combat is no longer "mastering the art of the AFK". Now, to attain peak XP rates, you have to develop strategy and think on your feet. Now that every enemy in the game has a specific weakness, you can employ various strategies and equipment builds to maximize XP. Not only that, but the EOC is just downright fun. I had a blast massacring Dagannoths with my godsword! I can't remember the last time I had that much fun under the lighthouse.

Most of the complaints I've heard about the EOC sound something like this: "It's too much League of Legends, not enough Runescape." Well, so what? Games borrow elements from other games all the time! It's truly impossible to come up with something totally original, conceived without ANY influence from any source other than your own mind. Besides, Runescape's combat system was in dire need of some serious overhaul. It was a boring, repetitive system that required no thought or planning. Just point and click.

#2 Gohankuten

Gohankuten

Master of all Wills & Quests

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I like the EoC but think it was released too soon.  It wasn't near ready enough to be released.

Thanks to Arno for the +1
Thanks to Teelex for the +2
954th Person To 99 Hunter
Master of all Wills and Quests
Posted Image

#3 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I love EoC, but keep in mind that evolution is continuous. There's a lot about EoC that needs to be fixed. There's far too much emphasis on the combat triangle, dual-wielding is virtually useless at the moment, there's too much emphasis on weapon damage which makes stats virtually useless, among other things

#4 Flourishing

Flourishing

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I tried it, and honestly couldn't stand it. If I wanted to play a poor imitation of WoW, there are plenty of other games. The appeal of RS for me has always been the relative simplicity of combat, the unique skilling/questing and low system requirements.

Although, the focus on equipment stats is a step in the right direction, if perhaps a tad too extreme.

#5 Venomous76

Venomous76

Poison since day one.

• RS Name:Venomous76
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Poison

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think people just like old rs better because it's simple.

You are what you hate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Join The Core:
#Poison - on Swiftirc.net

#6 Metley

Metley

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

yeah u are one of the less amount who like it

Posted Image

#7 Lafayette

Lafayette

Yuuki ♥

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

i like it.
Posted Image

#8 italia

italia

Bomb Squad Unit

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

i hate eoc. but if you like it thats you i gues

Proud founder & Leader of Don't Panic
Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/DontPanicRs

#9 Bran

Bran

Yee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've played both WoW and Runescape back and forth for the past 6-7 years.. I loved Runescape because it was simple, and loved WoW because it was a nice break from Runescape being a very simple game. Now they've changed that and made Runescape not so simple, and i don't see a point in playing both games now. WoW is far more advanced, so I ended up just sticking with that.

#10 LyraHeartstrings

LyraHeartstrings

Best Pony

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

I found eoc very fun at first; it was like playing a completely new game without xp waste :)
I've grown sick of it sadly. Looking foward to 2007 servers, right now i'm playing ps's, only logging in to do farm runs because of the chance that I return to it :S

#11 dark knight

dark knight

• RS Name:Weltall 2

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I absolutely love EOC. I have never been a fan of the combat system in runescape. It was boring and tedious. EOC is a great change in my eyes.
Posted Image

#12 An End

An End

Need anything? Send me a PM!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostFlourishing, on 15 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I tried it, and honestly couldn't stand it. If I wanted to play a poor imitation of WoW, there are plenty of other games. The appeal of RS for me has always been the relative simplicity of combat, the unique skilling/questing and low system requirements.

Although, the focus on equipment stats is a step in the right direction, if perhaps a tad too extreme.

Pretty sure 2/3 of those are still true.

View PostMetley, on 15 February 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

yeah u are one of the less amount who like it

Can you learn some grammar before you post? You didn't state any reason you didn't like it either

View Postitalia, on 15 February 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

i hate eoc. but if you like it thats you i gues

Why?

#13 zhellblah

zhellblah

• RS Name:zhellblah

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

This thread basically sums up every frustration I have with people who argue against the EOC. Almost every single person I've spoken to who "hates" the new combat system cannot come up with any valid, coherent reason why they don't like it.

#14 Sporty

Sporty

• RS Name:Sporty
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postzhellblah, on 15 February 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

This thread basically sums up every frustration I have with people who argue against the EOC. Almost every single person I've spoken to who "hates" the new combat system cannot come up with any valid, coherent reason why they don't like it.

The bottom line is that it just isn't as fun as the old version. Fun is the reason you play a game right? And if something isn't fun, well, you generally stop playing it. 07scape was simply more fun than what is currently in place.
Posted Image

#15 Darth koo

Darth koo

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I like the EOC update. I find it much more fun than the old way, and the EOC is faster too. It is easy to understand if you actually put some effort in learning it.
http://Posted Image

#16 Rarez

Rarez

RSC & RS2 Fact Sheet

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I like the EoC but I liked the old combat system more. EoC is fine once you learn how to play it. Thing is there is no-one to play it with so that negates everything.

Posted Image

Runescape Classic Fact Sheet
Very interesting. 150000+ views, 600+ replies

#17 Focus Teemo

Focus Teemo

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postzhellblah, on 15 February 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

• The EoC was very poorly done, it turned rs into just another very generic hotkey mmo and in all honesty we don't need another one of those on the market.
  • Abilities are broken and unbalanced, there has been very little thought put into them aside from "this sounds cool".
  • EoC was the final nail in the coffin for pvp/the clan world (it was arguably dead long before then), like it or not pvp/clanning was a huge thing for Runescape, you could say it was a main attraction for period of time.
  • Add into that the fact the game just isn't as fun as it used to be, Runescape was somewhat unique, it no longer is, it's a poor imitation of a successful mechanic.
Honestly i'm not going to list any more reasons as I can tell this will turn into a newschooler circle jerk talking about how much fun you're having chasing penguins/soloing bandos indefinitely and how it's time for change.

Edited by Focus Singed, 16 February 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image

#18 SonnyMoore

SonnyMoore

Sonny Bunny

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Eoc is faster to train combat tbh. Once someone gets a hang of it then Eoc becomes kind of simpler than what I've seen people post bad stuff about it.
Posted Image

#19 Elder Jr

Elder Jr

Zybaholic

• RS Name:Elder Jr
  • Clan:Ronin

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostGohankuten, on 15 February 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I like the EoC but think it was released too soon.  It wasn't near ready enough to be released.

I agree with this, EoC was rushed when it could have been perfected in a way that everyone would have loved but i think its too late now as a lot of people have quit because of it or are asking for Old School Server and even Jagex seems to agree with it.

Ex-Clanner (2004-2014)

Ex-CD Staff (2012-2014)

#20 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

See, the thing is- The EoC was NOT released too soon.

It wasn't.

We had, what, 5 months of beta testing? That's a long time.

The problem was no one was testing it. There was like, 60 people on at once, and 90% of them were just flower gaming and merching because "whoops i'll just reload" if they messed up, and the last 6 people were PKing in best-in-slot gear and not giving a damn when they died. Because no one cared when they died, no one bothered to give feedback.

Jagex needed to offer an incentive for testing. A 50K XP lamp per hour of combat done on the EoC beta. That's good enough. No one did EoC testing, because you got no progression toward your real character. Sure, 50K/hour is worse than any skill these days, so it wouldn't be at all viable for an alternative for training, but people would have a reason to do EoC stuff.

Unfortunately it's too late now, but the RS community has no one to blame but themselves for letting the EoC be released with insufficient testing.

Edited by ʸᵃʸ, 16 February 2013 - 01:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: