Optimising Runescape On Your Pc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Recently we looked into the graphics settings and display modes typically used by RuneScape players, and some of the results surprised us. As you may know, there are three main display modes: DirectX, OpenGL and Software Mode (also known as SSE). Generally, DirectX and OpenGL provide the best performance by far.

What surprised us was that almost half of all players use Software Mode!    

Posted Image
Display mode by percentage of players

This stood out to us, because most users are likely to get the best performance while using DirectX. Let’s look at what the best settings are:

Windows PC + Dedicated Graphics: Use DirectX

If you’re playing on a Windows PC with a dedicated graphics card, then you will almost certainly benefit from playing in DirectX display mode.

We found that switching to DirectX display mode can typically improve your frame rate by 4 to 14 frames per second compared to Software Mode and by around 3 to 13 frames per second compared to OpenGL. You can see a typical example below.

Posted Image
Average frames per second by display mode, 2.6 Ghz CPU

Windows PC, Integrated Graphics: Use DirectX or Software Mode

If you’re playing on a Windows PC with integrated graphics, or a PC over five years old you are still likely to benefit from moving to DirectX too, but it depends on your hardware. We recommend you try DirectX, but if you get poor performance, you should switch to Software Mode and compare. You may also find that DirectX mode is preferable with some specific graphics options turned off - see below.

Linux or Mac: Use OpenGL

If you’re playing on Linux or Mac, then your best option is to use OpenGL. You’ll almost certainly see an improvement in frame rate over Software Mode: typically around 5 frames per second. Note that in some versions of OSX it's best to use our downloadable client rather than your browser.

Balancing Frame Rate and Graphics Settings

If you’re running a powerful i5 or i7 with an awesome dedicated graphics card – great! I hope you’re enjoying RuneScape at 1920x1080 resolution with all settings maxed. However, if you are using a computer not intended for high-end gaming, that’s fine too. There are several ways to better balance visual quality vs frame rate.
First of all, make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Then, you can check out the table below to see which options will make the most difference to your frame rate. You can turn these and many other settings on/off in-game by choosing ‘Custom’ from the display mode options. Why not experiment to see which gives you the best improvement?

OptionSettingFPS Gain*
DirectX
Character Shadows
Particles
Bloom
Turn Off
From Medium to Low
Turn Off
Up to 14
Up to 12
Up to 12
OpenGL
Particles
Character Shadows
Flickering
From Medium to Low
Turn Off
Turn Off
Up to 18
Up to 14
Up to 13
Software Mode
Texturing

Turn Off

Up to 15

*Please note that these are only potential FPS gains, dependent on your hardware and other settings, and that they will not apply cumulatively.

Further Help

If you’d like more information about changing your display mode or customising your graphics settings, you’ll find plenty of helpful guides in our Tech Support Wiki and helpful FMods and PMods over in our Tech Support Forums. We also produce RuneScape Tech Support videos on our Official Jagex Support page over on YouTube to help you make changes step-by-step.
Useful links The RuneScape Team
Discuss this here.

☼ This never ever should have been, but that's the way it is ☼
Posted Image
Zchat Gold Star |Zybeznet Overseer|MM&D Staff|Global Moderator

#2 Black

Black

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

I see Safe mode wasn't included in this, funny thing is bots use software so i'd say large amount of the 43% are from them so this was just a pointless post by them falling on deaf ears.

Posted Image

#3 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Java really is holding them back, and whenever(if) they actually do switch over to html5 it'll be a much smoother game for whoever still plays.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#4 Derek Yo

Derek Yo

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Or you can play in safe mode and not play a game for the graphics.

Posted Image

#5 Maxsje

Maxsje

------

• RS Name:Maxsje
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:N/A

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Already playing in highest definition I can on Mac using OpenGL, so it seems I'm good to go. Not bad to see they want people enjoy the game to its fullest, but there are a lot of people running the game on older computers or in low definition because they're also watching a video on their computer for example. But yeah, the botting point may be a valid one too. Nonetheless, not much to be mad about here :hat:
The Law my calling is, my robe, my tongue, my pen. Wealth and opinion gain, and make me judge of men.
The known dishonest cause, I never did defend,nor spun out suits in length, but wisht and sought an end.
Nor counsel did bewray, nor of both parties take, nor ever tooke I fee for which I never spake.

Current stats: View here
Current goal: 17/20 skills at 99 (Max2Max)

#6 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Strange, I have integrated graphics and I find that I get much better performance with DirectX rather than OpenGL (although I do end up having glitched maps every now and again).

#7 Fernando

Fernando

nah idiot

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

I used to play on safe mode and always managed to get like 30 fps, randomly changed it to openGL and had 50 fps , lol

Runescape is dead.
[x]

#8 Mikuri

Mikuri

♥ Flowing love ~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

What i'd like is more support towards 3-screens support or that they update the 2560px width maximum to something like 6k or so.
Posted Image

#9 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostBlackenese, on 12 February 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

I see Safe mode wasn't included in this, funny thing is bots use software so i'd say large amount of the 43% are from them so this was just a pointless post by them falling on deaf ears.

I thought that Safe Mode was just a fallback version of Software mode. :blink:

#10 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I don't even know what I use.. I don't change the directX/software setting very often. I just choose which graphical features I want on and adjust the brightness / camera zoom if I'm in a weird dungeon or something (such as lumby swamp, or quest areas).

I don't see why you need to optimize your computer for a slight improvement in graphics, the real issue is server lagg(+ping), not lagg  because of the gameplay settings.

View PostJay, on 12 February 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Java really is holding them back, and whenever(if) they actually do switch over to html5 it'll be a much smoother game for whoever still plays.

Mod Mark said they would sometime this year. Along with saying they will release a tablet client or app as well.
Source

Edited by spoonheb, 12 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#11 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I play on DirectX because it's a lot smoother and faster than the other settings. I turn off all my animations/special features however.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 ruts etnies

ruts etnies

playing since '03

• RS Name:Ruts
  • Clan:/

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

I asked yesterday in the Question section of this forums why it is that my screen starts blinking black/normal when I turn to full screen. And the easy solution was to turn my settings from software mode to directX.

#13 Mikuri

Mikuri

♥ Flowing love ~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I just got home and the best mode for me is DirectX for running everything at max (4x anti-aliasing) with removed roofs in 1080p.
Other modes appear to be somehow laggy and/or graphicaly bugged.
Posted Image

#14 SPHAZE

SPHAZE

Protect Ya Neck

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Still no bloom fixes for mac users. :-/

#15 Antihacker30

Antihacker30

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I downloaded a "updated card" for my graphics by searching as they said and i go to log into RS and the jag guardian says my device isnt recognized? so I check my email and it gives a wrong IP address other than the one I have always had.. Idk if its safe to just go ahead and "let this device" access my account..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: