19 replies to this topic

#1 Jaacco

Jaacco

• RS Name:Jaacco
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Fools

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Slayer Tower: Revamped (members only)

The Slayer Tower is an imposing sight for new arrivals to Morytania, and it's even more so after today's graphical update. As ever, the Slayer Tower's a great place to complete Slayer Assignments for a range of RuneScape's more macabre monsters.

From today, you'll also be able to complete Slayer Contracts within the tower. These work in a similar way to Slayer Assignments, as they involve killing a set number of specific creatures, although they must be completed within the Slayer Tower, and the rewards work differently.

You can take on a Slayer Contract by speaking to Markus, just outside the Slayer Tower. Markus will show you his list of normal contracts. You can then choose whichever of these you like best, take a contract scroll from Markus and head into the tower to get slaying. Be sure to keep the scroll with you, as kills won't count towards the contract otherwise. This won't affect any Slayer Assignment you already have; kills that count towards a normal contract will not count towards your assignment.

Once the contract is complete, bring the scroll back to Markus to claim your payment. He'll offer you a choice between a healthy helping of coins or XP in the core combat skill of your choice (with some limitations). You'll also get a little Slayer XP as you kill each monster: 20% of the amount you'd have received if you killed the monster for a Slayer Assignment.

If you already have a Slayer Assignment to kill suitable creatures, Markus will offer you a special contract instead of the normal list. His special contracts match the type of creature that you've been assigned, effectively giving you a 20% uplift to your Slayer XP, plus a choice of combat XP or coins.

There's an Early Bird bonus available for the next two weeks, doubling the combat XP or cash that you'll receive from the first normal contract that you complete within that time.

Posted Image

Our Graphics Team have done some superb work on the Slayer Tower, and its spooky Second Age look fits in well with the new lore we've introduced. Keep an eye out for books written by the tower's architect - General Viggora - and by the mage responsible for populating the tower with its monstrous residents. We've also replaced some of the old agility shortcuts with stairs for easier access, but we've added a new one which grants access to a new rooftop, where more of the highest levelled enemies are available for those of you with at least 71 Agility.

Whether you're looking to bullseye some banshees, knock out some nechryaels or take an axe to some Abyssal demons, the Slayer Tower's the place to go. Head on over there now and start slaying!

Mod Ash

How to start Slayer Contracts:
  • Speak to Markus outside the Slayer Tower. To get there from Varrock, leave via the east gate and take the path northeast, and then head through the passage beneath the Temple. Once you're through, head north to reach the Slayer Tower.
Requirements:
  • You must be a RuneScape member.
  • At least one inventory space for the contract scroll.
  • Slayer Contracts have the same Slayer level requirement as their targeted monsters, ranging from 5 to 85. See here for details.
  • To access the additional gargoyles, nechryaels and Abyssal demons on the roof, you will need 71 Agility.

Retired Random Event NPCs Return (free players and members)

Just before Christmas, the random events that were a long-standing part of RuneScape were removed. The NPCs involved in these have now been brought back to live out their retirements in the game.

These include Mr Mordaut, whose new tenure at Varrock Museum heading up the Department of Unnatural History has allowed him to start some important research on the dragonkin. He'll share this never-before-revealed lore with you for the asking, and will grant you Kudos if you have information to share with him, and a one-time Slayer XP reward for those who help him with a particular breakthrough.

Other highlights include the Mysterious Old Man in Draynor, and Iffie's costume shop in Varrock, where the old random event costumes can be purchased for coins. Purchasing any of the mime or gravedigger pieces will also unlock their related emotes.

Have fun catching up with these iconic NPCs, and finding out what they're up to. A full list of their locations can be found here.

Mod Srowley

Behind the Scenes Video

Mod Osborne talks lore and the Slayer Tower in our latest Behind the Scenes video:

In Other News
  • Valentine's Day comes around this week, and Yelps will have some romantically themed items on the Squeal of Fortune from the 14th. Hate all that mushy stuff? No problem - there's a darker alternative on offer!
  • Don't forget to check out our gruesomely grand Demonflesh Armour on Solomon's General Store!
  • The camera will no longer become stuck on zoom when toggling between action bars during the Queen Black Dragon fight.
  • The 'player is currently busy' message will no longer interrupt use of the action bar.
  • Ganodermic beasts are no longer aggressive.
The patch notes archive can be seen here.

Posted Image

Senior Moderator - Clan Discussion Leader
PM me if you need assistance.

#2 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Only get 20% of the slayer exp you would get on assignment and the rewards are not really going to make it viable to camp there since drops from abbys etc are horrible now.  Will be a small boost doing your abby, nec, garg etc tasks there, but nothing else.

Completionist Cape Owner

#3 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Founder

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

Doesn't seem like a great update and slayer isn't my thing anyways.

Mike|Cera_S6 - Violent Resolution Founder
Posted Image
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Founder (06 - Present)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Community Leader of General Discussion, Clan Discussion, Clan Fights & Events and United Nations - Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns Posted Image
Posted Image | Posted Image

#4 Spelt

Spelt

Just passing trough.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm a huge slayer fan. But the layout of the slayer tower is really horrible now. everything is so cramped together

Stand among the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer.

#5 Murray 1991

Murray 1991

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

The slayer tower has been long redundant

Posted Image

Divine Forces || www.rs-df.com || Forums

Posted Image

#6 dark knight

dark knight

• RS Name:Weltall 2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

I am interested in this update. It seems like something to do in addition to a normal task. I am also curious to see how the exp rewards vs gold rewards work. It may be a new place to go train some of the combat skills assuming the rewards aren't to bad. It seems like a fairly interesting update.
Posted Image

#7 Derek Yo

Derek Yo

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

When I used to play, I don't even remember going to the Tower for tasks, and I doubt this would have improved it.

Posted Image

#8 stevembk

stevembk

• RS Name:stevembk

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I get it but im not a fan of the sinkhole time nerf to every 2 hours. They should have held off on this until the D&D became less popular.

Posted Image

99's: Thieving, Attack, Woodcut, Crafting, Farming, HP, Range, Slayer, Strength, Herblore, Hunter, Firemaking, Summoning, Runecrafting, Magic
CURRENT GOALS: 94/95 Prayer

#9 Black

Black

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostJaacco, on 12 February 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

• The 'player is currently busy' message will no longer interrupt use of the action bar.

Im sure people will be happy about this.

Posted Image

#10 Aceman

Aceman

The King

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

If I wasn't 99 slayer already this would feel much more relevant to me :<

#11 Velits

Velits

Awesome~!

• RS Name:Velits
  • Clan:less
  • Team:Twinkle

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

The following fixes and tweaks have now been implemented. As always, be sure to submit a bug report should you encounter a gameplay bug or graphical glitch in-game.

Graphical:
  • The Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon now has correct lighting settings.
  • The "Give Thanks" emote no longer glitches when you are attacked by another player.
  • Some rogue lines on the scroll interface have been fixed.
  • A graphical issue with the eggs in the Exiled kalphite hive has been fixed.
  • An issue that was causing some lines of the reward section of the task interface to not display correctly has been fixed.
Quests, Challenges & Achievements:
  • Chat no longer breaks during the H.A.M. cave battle in Chosen Commander Quest.
  • The combat stance no longer breaks several quest cutscenes.
  • Clicking out of the Balloon travel interface from Enlightened Journey will no longer have strange side effects.
  • Enakhra from Enakhra's Lament will now appear in the correct place more consistently.
Skills & Minigames:
  • Players logging out of a sinkhole will no longer see their resources being deleted.
  • Some broadcast messages have been added for when a sinkhole spawns. These can be toggled off at the Lumbridge Doomsayer.
  • Sinkholes now spawn once every 2 hours.
  • An animation for health being absorbed from lesser and black demons has been added to Demon Bosses (Demon Flashmobs).
  • Players can no longer use holy water on the Demon Boss (Demon Flashmobs).
  • The quick start option on the Guardian Mummy has had two lines of chat removed.
  • Pyramid plunder has been rebalanced to damage players appropriately.
  • It is no longer possible to claim Champion's Challenge "Calling beads" when a player has only defeated the Leprechaun champion.
  • Players are no longer warned about not using magic attacks against the Zombie Champion when they have no weapons equipped.
  • The Dominion Tower Dagannoth Mother (version 2) can no longer be damaged with earth spells when she is weak to fire spells.
  • Impling jars that were previously dropping instead of being destroyed are now destroyed correctly.
  • The Flash Powder Factory Challenge can, once again, be completed.

Combat:
  • The camera no longer gets stuck on zoom when toggling between action bars whilst fighting the QBD.
  • The "Player is busy" check has been removed from the action bar.
  • Ganodermic beasts are once again non-aggressive.
  • Auto retaliate now works as intended with Living Rock creatures.
  • Yk'Lagor will now be correctly released if the mages are killed with a Blood necklace.

Other:
  • An issue with a music track not unlocking in the Dominion Tower lobby has been fixed.
  • Wearing a Sacred clay hat and using the String Jewellery spell grants crafting XP once again.
  • A force walk tile from behind the Lumbridge Graveyard has been removed.
  • It is once again possible to enter Daemonheim via the Wilderness.
  • The message about dropping items when a player enters a Player Owned Port has been removed.
  • "Meat stick" no longer displays on the Grand Exchange.
  • The "hide helm" & "hide cape" options in the customisation interface have been moved so that they are a bit more prominent.

Posted Image

#12 Jaddy

Jaddy

Agility freak

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

View Post~ Darky ~, on 12 February 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Only get 20% of the slayer exp you would get on assignment and the rewards are not really going to make it viable to camp there since drops from abbys etc are horrible now.  Will be a small boost doing your abby, nec, garg etc tasks there, but nothing else.
thats good, it wasnt meant to camp there for xp. rather a small bonus, just like you noted.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#13 Youngster Joey

Youngster Joey

• RS Name:Trilobyte
  • Clan:None.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

That ganoderps are no longer aggro is good news for folk who get them as a task.

The tower update, however, smells of bad eggs and is a disappointment from the sounds of things. How much xp would one get from the combat lamp things is a question I'm curious on.
Signature in construction. In the meantime, here's a big empty space to stare at.

#14 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Gonna start testing this when I have some time. Hopefully the weapons revamp will be soon so I don't have to keep on making updates.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Zparanoid

Zparanoid

Senior Dismember

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Mr Mordaut (the dude from the old exam random event) now gives out a freebie 25k slayer lamp.

He's under the stairs in Varrock Museum.  Talk to him about dragonkin then go through all the options on the next screen - The lamp unlocks once you've talked to him about a couple of quests that you probably did ages ago, and have 1 QBD kill and 1 KBD kill notched.  Oddly he remembers past QBD kills, but forgets about past KBD kills (unless you got the Last Raiders book as a KBD drop previously).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Maxsje

Maxsje

------

• RS Name:Maxsje
  • Clan:N/A

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

The rewards really do not seem worth the extra effort or anything, definitely not if there are better spots to kill monsters (think of aberrant spectre), nor is the graphics update that impressive - I've seen better before by Jagex. Anyway, went out there to check it obviously and took some pictures for all of you who are too lazy to go (and knowing what it is you are rightfully doing so):
Spoiler

The Law my calling is, my robe, my tongue, my pen. Wealth and opinion gain, and make me judge of men.
The known dishonest cause, I never did defend,nor spun out suits in length, but wisht and sought an end.
Nor counsel did bewray, nor of both parties take, nor ever tooke I fee for which I never spake.

Current stats: View here
Current goal: 17/20 skills at 99 (Max2Max)

#17 zoth01

zoth01

• RS Name:crovaxx07
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Would be interesting if they made this a good source of combat exp. I know it's something hard, but much of the content lacks relevance since there's always better choices in terms of profit or exp (or both). Still, the 20% increased during task seems good for SOME monsters.

I am everything I want to be, I am a Lucid Dreamer.

#18 Mikuri

Mikuri

♥ Flowing love ~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

It looks very nice to me, even if some monster don't have much room to fight against. I like the scenery a lot, they did a good job on that, feels 2013.
Too bad contracts are only good for a small selection of monsters like Nechs and Bloodvelds.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#19 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostMikuri, on 12 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

It looks very nice to me, even if some monster don't have much room to fight against. I like the scenery a lot, they did a good job on that, feels 2013.
Too bad contracts are only good for a small selection of monsters like Nechs and Bloodvelds.

I agree, Jagex has an amazing graphics team that brings every area to life with amazing artwork but in the end, the content is always garbage

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#20 Sf_Brave

Sf_Brave

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Interesting... I'll check this out! Ty. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: