• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin♫

Kevin♫

The Scientist

• RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

This week Behind the Scenes video reaches new heights, as new graphics and new ways to slay come to the Slayer Tower.

We caught up with Mod Osborne, who talked us through all things lore-related, as well as the design and back story of the Slayer Tower.

Find out why Mod Osborne wants you to take up a contract on the creatures in the Slayer Tower.

All this - and more - coming to RuneScape soon!

Mod Jane

Discuss this here.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

- Sun Tzu (Art of War)

Recruiting Board Leader // Clan Discussion Staff // General Discussion Staff // Contact me with any questions.

#2 Cypher

Cypher

| (• ◡•)|

• RS Name:Waterbender
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

So since there won't be any limit to the number of contracts you can do, wouldn't just camping abyssal demon contracts be the best consistent slayer exp? According to Milk's guide, they're about 88k/hour. While there are plenty of other tasks out there that exceed this rate, you can't choose those ones like you can with the contracts here. Going through Kuradal, you could get lucky and get a high exp task or unlucky and get something that gives low exp, so the traditional method would be a lot less consistent. Plus with the abby demons you don't have to waste time getting a new task or traveling to a new area. Guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out, though. All I know is it sure won't help the price of the whip. I wonder how long until it reaches its alch value.

Edited by Cypher, 08 February 2013 - 01:31 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

[3DS Friend Code: 4785-5458-1412 | Pokemon X and Animal Crossing: New Leaf]

#3 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostCypher, on 08 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

So since there won't be any limit to the number of contracts you can do, wouldn't just camping abyssal demon contracts be the best consistent slayer exp? According to Milk's guide, they're about 88k/hour. While there are plenty of other tasks out there that exceed this rate, you can't choose those ones like you can with the contracts here. Going through Kuradal, you could get lucky and get a high exp task or unlucky and get something that gives low exp, so the traditional method would be a lot less consistent. Plus with the abby demons you don't have to waste time getting a new task or traveling to a new area. Guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out, though. All I know is it sure won't help the price of the whip. I wonder how long until it reaches its alch value.

I doubt the contracts let you pick the monster.  My guess is its going to be like another slayer master but limited to monsters in the tower so you may have to take the bad with the good like hands banshies bloods etc.  

Graphics looked nice but it seems like they half ased the update.  a new floor could have easily unlocked a new slayer monster instead of just making more spawns of monsters that already have 4 or 5 places you could camp them.  I cant remember the last time I even did abysalls or gargs in the slayer tower lol.

note on the ending of the vid, is it seams like there wont be an update next week if the next vid is going to be a look into what people actually do at jagex or w/e ... kinda disappointing if thats the case was really looking forward to the new quest and the week after next im off for a few days for presidents day.

Posted Image

#4 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Gotta side with Cypher on this one. There needs to be some limitation on contracts, otherwise it's just a bonus XP extravaganza. Well, I mean free XP is always welcome in my book, don't get me wrong but for the whole of the game itself, adding more ways to get extra XP devalues the achievement of having a high Slayer level.

#5 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

One of the better JMod's, seems to go in-depth with this update and what he wanted the player's to get from it, seems like one of the better JMod's at Jagex. More of him explaining update's for BTS would be great!

The graphic's look awesome and since I'm a noob at Slayer and I've always wanted 85+ but never had the drive too, this update with the contracts and also the Hati Glove's I still need to use will be a nice chance for me to train my Melee and Slayer at the same time.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#6 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm wondering if that contract will give a good amount of money. That should generate some revenue for people who has now given up on Slayer being a good money making skill and will definitely be a big contender for Mid-Level Players to make some cash for High Tier Gear.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Cypher

Cypher

| (• ◡•)|

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Post~ Darky ~, on 08 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I doubt the contracts let you pick the monster.  My guess is its going to be like another slayer master but limited to monsters in the tower so you may have to take the bad with the good like hands banshies bloods etc.
Go to 2:03 in the video and you should see this screen:
Posted Image

They were scrolling and even on 1080p I couldn't get a clearer shot than that, but you can clearly see it's a menu with a small and large contract available for every monster in the tower. The video shows crawling hands, banshees, infernal mages, bloodvelds, and aberrant spectres before it cuts away. But with how much of the scroll bar that was left to go in the contracts menu, we can safely assume that it includes a small and large contract for every monster there, including gargs, nechs, and abby demons. So just scroll down, select the large abyssal demon contract, kill them, collect your reward of bonus combat xp or money, and repeat. We also see that the large aberrant spectre task is 170 of them and rewards either ~8k combat exp (hard to see, it's fuzzy) or ~60k cash.

Again using Milk's slayer guide, a maxed main could kill close to 800 aberrant spectres in an hour, doing 4.7 contracts and making 282k bonus gp per hour on top of drops, or ~38k bonus exp. While this might not sound like much, it's only aberrant spectres. Once we know how long a large abyssal demon contract is and how much it pays, we'll be able to calculate the bonus gp/hour or combat exp/hour doing that. Following the trend here, it'll probably be between 160-200 kills. There doesn't appear to be a pattern with the rewards though, so I don't even have a guess for that. But I wouldn't be surprised if doing abyssal demon contracts reaches over 500k per hour on top of drops or an additional ~50-60k combat exp. While other methods like QBD and Barrows are better, this has the allure of constant slayer experience. So I wouldn't be too quick to claim this is a bad update. Sure, it might end up more consistent than doing tasks like normal, but it wouldn't make that method obsolete. There will still be benefits to the old assignment method like getting ganodermic beasts and other great tasks, or getting good range/mage tasks. But these contracts offer a more steady form of slayer and I'm looking forward to them.

Edited by Cypher, 08 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#8 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Obviously, if training Slayer is your main goal, doing contracts is pointless. Don't recall the video mentioning Slayer exp is included.

Lauren's partner in crime forever ♥
You don't really learn to appreciate the things you have until it's gone.

#9 Cypher

Cypher

| (• ◡•)|

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostRashy, on 08 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Obviously, if training Slayer is your main goal, doing contracts is pointless. Don't recall the video mentioning Slayer exp is included.
At about 2:10 in the video he describes the contracts and confirms that you get slayer experience from them. Granted, we don't yet know if it's the same rate as a normal task, but I think that's safe to assume. Still, Jagex could very quickly turn this into dead content by doing something stupid like half the normal slayer exp as a normal task. We'll have to wait and see.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#10 Duckysaurus

Duckysaurus

Admiral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I don't think you get slayer experience for killing the monsters unless you have the correct task from a slayer master. I think the slayer experience from contracts will just be a bonus you get at the end of the contract, along with a choice of either combat exp or gp.

View PostCypher, on 08 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

So since there won't be any limit to the number of contracts you can do, wouldn't just camping abyssal demon contracts be the best consistent slayer exp? According to Milk's guide, they're about 88k/hour.

I think the way this will work is that abyssal demons will be the best slayer exp with both an abyssal demon task and an abyssal demon contract. You get 88k/hour from the slayer task and let's just say 20k/hour from the contract, for a total of about 108k/hour. With only the contract you'd be getting 20k/hour or however much they will give.

So the traditional slayer tasks will still be the primary source of slayer exp if I am correct. Slayer tasks for monsters in the slayer tower will become much more valuable and I doubt anyone will consider skipping/banning aberrant spectres and maybe even bloodvelds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Sasha Black

Sasha Black

The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm a little disappointed that we are not getting a new slayer monsters... but looking past that I think I'm going to love this update.  We don't get a lot of slayer updates.  This tower is special to me because camping whips was all I did for like a year and a half.  It looks awesome and I love the lore Mod Osborne put behind it.

View PostCypher, on 08 February 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

View Post~ Darky ~, on 08 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Go to 2:03 in the video and you should see this screen:
http://i.imgur.com/PhXXpQ7.png...

They were scrolling and even on 1080p I couldn't get a clearer shot than that, but you can clearly see it's a menu with a small and large contract available for every monster in the tower. The video shows crawling hands, banshees, infernal mages, bloodvelds, and aberrant spectres before it cuts away. But with how much of the scroll bar that was left to go in the contracts menu, we can safely assume that it includes a small and large contract for every monster there, including gargs, nechs, and abby demons. So just scroll down, select the large abyssal demon contract, kill them, collect your reward of bonus combat xp or money, and repeat. We also see that the large aberrant spectre task is 170 of them and rewards either ~8k combat exp (hard to see, it's fuzzy) or ~60k cash.

Again using Milk's slayer guide, a maxed main could kill close to 800 aberrant spectres in an hour, doing 4.7 contracts and making 282k bonus gp per hour on top of drops, or ~38k bonus exp. While this might not sound like much, it's only aberrant spectres. Once we know how long a large abyssal demon contract is and how much it pays, we'll be able to calculate the bonus gp/hour or combat exp/hour doing that. Following the trend here, it'll probably be between 160-200 kills. There doesn't appear to be a pattern with the rewards though, so I don't even have a guess for that. But I wouldn't be surprised if doing abyssal demon contracts reaches over 500k per hour on top of drops or an additional ~50-60k combat exp. While other methods like QBD and Barrows are better, this has the allure of constant slayer experience. So I wouldn't be too quick to claim this is a bad update. Sure, it might end up more consistent than doing tasks like normal, but it wouldn't make that method obsolete. There will still be benefits to the old assignment method like getting ganodermic beasts and other great tasks, or getting good range/mage tasks. But these contracts offer a more steady form of slayer and I'm looking forward to them.

great job Cypher trying to capture a clear shot and i think your review here is dead on....makes a lot of sense.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Andy The Ace

Andy The Ace

• RS Name:Andycake
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Again using Milk's slayer guide, a maxed main could kill close to 800 aberrant spectres in an hour

This number is from the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon where a cannon is allowed. It's not mentioned whether a cannon was used or not but I assume it was. I personally don't slay with a cannon so I have no idea how much it contributes (if at all) but we do need to consider that a cannon may have been boosting kills per time in Milk's guide.
Posted Image
75+ 13th January, 2011 ** 80+ 14th July, 2011 ** 85+ 31st December, 2011 ** 90+ 1st September, 2012 ** 95+ 12th February, 2013
Quest cape - November 2008 ** Taskmaster - 3rd July, 2012 ** Maxed - 31st May, 2013

#13 Money

Money

420blazeit

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Mod Osborne is great. It's obvious he has a genuine love and excitement for Runescape.

#14 Zparanoid

Zparanoid

Senior Dismember

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostAndy The Ace, on 08 February 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Again using Milk's slayer guide, a maxed main could kill close to 800 aberrant spectres in an hour

This number is from the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon where a cannon is allowed. It's not mentioned whether a cannon was used or not but I assume it was. I personally don't slay with a cannon so I have no idea how much it contributes (if at all) but we do need to consider that a cannon may have been boosting kills per time in Milk's guide.

The spectres in the Pollnivneach slayer dungeon are different in their weakness too.  The ones in the slayer tower are weak to thrown weapons, whilst the ones under the desert are weak to bows.  The latter are easy to wreck with a Zaryte or Crystal bow, whilst the current choice of thrown weapons in the game struggles to compete

#15 Unangax

Unangax

• RS Name:Unangax

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

arggggg why couldnt the slayer tower update have have happened 28m slay Xp ago?

#16 Mikuri

Mikuri

♥ Flowing love ~

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I like this tower a lot since I've spent many hours in it killing Abbys/Nechs for charms/whips.
Glad they update it to be so awesome! Just look at this video of it that you can see multiple floors at once and all. It looks very nice to me :3
Might be cool to do a slayer contract when I'm bored :3
Posted Image

#17 wldescolado

wldescolado

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

Looks cool.

#18 Darkruler633

Darkruler633

Forsaken Leader

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I've checked out the slayer tower, looks ace :-)

Good update!

Ex Leader of Forsaken

Divine Forces & Vitality member

Posted Image

Bas|Darkruler on IRC

xDarkruler & Naxacid on EoC

Naxacid on OSRS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: