• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Isobel

Isobel

• RS Name:Isobel
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:zchat

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Saw a video about a mod post compiling suggested updates to PoP that could be implemented, so I went and tracked down the post:

Posted Image

Originally from here (QFC: 15-16-19-64214683, page 13).

I like these ideas, especially the one about giving Construction some use in ports. Maybe instead of cosmetic upgrades for the port portal requiring goods, they could require a Construction level instead and be "free". Jagex could also add more cosmetic options for ports, like changing the buildings' style, and make these require different Construction levels too. You could maybe get some modest Construction xp from making the cosmetic changes too :-)

I would also like to see a method to check voyage progress remotely. Simply adding an estimated return time to the port book would make it easier to plan what to do while waiting for ships to come back, without having to journey to the actual port every time.

Would you like to see these changes & would you like anything else they haven't mentioned?

Join zchat friends chat in game!

Posted Image

#2 Brad S

Brad S

YMCMB

• RS Name:Brad S
  • Team:Content

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Should be able to send a ship out and trade resources.

e.x.

Send a ship out for 6 hours and trade 500 jade for 1000 bamboo, or trade 500 gunpowder for 50-100 jade. (Keep the resource value equal to the return resource value).

There would be a slot, voyages, special voyages, and trade voyages.

This would make it better than going back to focus on a region, instead you could just send out a trade voyage. They would still be random, so a player couldn't choose what resources and the amount to trade.

Posted Image

B.I.G, Yeezy, Weezy, Drizzy, T-Raw, Jay, Barbie

#3 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

More adventures per day sounds good, but I think it would outbalance the mechanics. Adventurers reward you with either a scroll, special tradegoods or a high amount goods of the region you are currently in. Having more of these every day would effectively mean you only send your ships on the special voyages, especially in the higher regions. Don't think that is the concept of special voyages.

I personally like the idea of unlocking new, visitable, islands. For example, completing a story (or two combined!) could give you access to a special island, with stuff like a resource dungeon. Heck, even an unlockable (high-end) quest could be a possible reward on one of these islands, but I do think that would upset most players. Either way, we definitely need visitable islands.

Finally, piratry needs to be added. Perhaps a PVP section battlefield, meaning your missions can give greater rewards but higher risk?

View PostRashy, on 03 November 2010 - 09:25 AM, said:

The duck is Justin Bieber in disguise. He's spying on us. Ban now!

Posted Image

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#4 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Some awesome things said in that post, also I love the ideas Duck has mentioned.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#5 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostThe duck, on 08 February 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I personally like the idea of unlocking new, visitable, islands. For example, completing a story (or two combined!) could give you access to a special island, with stuff like a resource dungeon. Heck, even an unlockable (high-end) quest could be a possible reward on one of these islands, but I do think that would upset most players. Either way, we definitely need visitable islands.
This. A million times over. The lack of them is the reason I still haven't touched the minigame, messing around with pop-ups is not my idea of fun.

[13/26] * [2,393/2595] * [135/138]
Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#6 Darkruler633

Darkruler633

Forsaken Leader

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Interesting topic, would like to see some implemented such as more construction input and more scrimshaws :-)

Ex Leader of Forsaken

Divine Forces & Vitality member

Posted Image

Bas|Darkruler on IRC

xDarkruler & Naxacid on EoC

Naxacid on OSRS

#7 BrotherVoid1

BrotherVoid1

Retired Completionist

• RS Name:BrotherVoid1
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:DGS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostMurdoc, on 08 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

This. A million times over. The lack of them is the reason I still haven't touched the minigame, messing around with pop-ups is not my idea of fun.
I'd be a fan of it too.  Once I realized I'm gathering resources that are, for the most part, completely useless in the present other than to do more voyages, I kinda stopped doing it.  It's the same reason I played FarmVille for like a week and stopped.  I just quit seeing the point.  Sure, armours would be fun to have, but that will take months of checking it multiple times a day, every day, all for an armour that I'll use a handful of times.  If I could unlock a boss at x island or in y region that I can go farm for fun, that'd be awesome.  But as it is right now, I have no real will to go and do PoP.

Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe;
if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire…

#8 Hess

Hess

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hardest thing for me is finding the right balance of crew as you don't get extra slots with the extra ships spots you unlock.

However, they aren't bad ideas.  Really PoP are going to be dead content after people get what they aim for.  I mean really, not much to do after maxing your buildings and collecting plates for armour.
Ex-Gladiator
Ex-Ascension

Thank you Jagex for ruining the game and letting me move on

#9 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostBrotherVoid1, on 08 February 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

View PostMurdoc, on 08 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'd be a fan of it too.  Once I realized I'm gathering resources that are, for the most part, completely useless in the present other than to do more voyages, I kinda stopped doing it.  It's the same reason I played FarmVille for like a week and stopped.  I just quit seeing the point.  Sure, armours would be fun to have, but that will take months of checking it multiple times a day, every day, all for an armour that I'll use a handful of times.  If I could unlock a boss at x island or in y region that I can go farm for fun, that'd be awesome.  But as it is right now, I have no real will to go and do PoP.
True. Truth is that PoP is basically a simulator game like online soccer manager / traviant etc. for most of it. Doesn't mean that I consider these things to be lame - I in fact like this to do every now and then. But the truth remains that PoP is a simulator game within a 3d area.

View PostRashy, on 03 November 2010 - 09:25 AM, said:

The duck is Justin Bieber in disguise. He's spying on us. Ban now!

Posted Image

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#10 aqarwaen

aqarwaen

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

they should add any option to go islands to and add more/space events.there isnt nofting to do if,you have sended ships out

#11 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Make construction have more use in ports

Well, first off the skill actually has no use :XD:.
I remember buying planks and when they announced ports selling them for like 30M profit because people somehow got it in their mind it was a construction related mini-game. (Later finding out the construction D&D was god statues.)

I personally don't see much wrong with the D&D, besides a few things like how you can't actually visit any new area's and the seafaring imabalance I would say it's great.

A lot of people regard this as the best update of the year (2012) and after labeling it your favourite update I don't think there should be too much of a demand for 'fixes' or modifications to the gameplay itself.

Edit: Except for the fact like 30% of the traits that say they do something don't work at all, and the Jade statues give a 1% boost which doesn't round up, making it useless :XD: .

Edited by spoonheb, 10 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#12 Plucky9

Plucky9

• RS Name:Plucky9

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Personally my main issue with ports is that Speed just isn't that influential, Pincer missions takes about 11 hours 30 mins...and down to 8 hours 40 at maximum speed, it doesn't help that there is essentially a cap on how much speed effects the amount of time it takes to do a mission.

The time is so long that i just refresh missions just for the ones that has only 1 stat adversity because splitting crews could mean one boat would be pathetically weak, thus at least i could cover 3 missions in X hours....a day, rather than micromanaging RL stuff around Runescape which makes it much more intrusive than some D&Ds...and even Citadel.

Now, having another boat could let me do another mission in a theoretical day, but the gap is so close that it's just an endless cycle, plus Materials are seldom seen that it would take months just for a full set of armor, so not only Luck is involved, but also time, there just seems to be too much emphasis on the end rewards leading to months of obtaining nothing tangible for the time spent besides visiting Meg for a Pesudo-Randomly picked skill lamp every Wednesday.

Not to mention the overhanging feeling that Jagex had some hidden agenda with the update to either prolong the experienced old high level fanbase, or to simply screw with a few key markets just like what they planned with the impetuous impulses update...
  • Adding Gem-Finding Scrimshaws made people go beserk for them, just for the low, low chance at obtaining Onyx to sell to the ge.
  • The Tree-Shaking scrimshaw produces nests and implings randomly, supposedly Essence up to Kingly. (RS Wiki..unsure if it's fact or guessing), only thing that kills it is that you need net and jars to catch...

The Impetuous Impulses update added 3 new implings, Spirit, Kingly and Zombie Implings: Spirit was seen as a mostly junk impling that gave pathetic summoning seconds, empty pouches and -Trice eggs presumably to ruin the player junk market, Zombie Implings counts as a rare impling which would stunk the influx of Kinglies and Dragons whilst giving above average Bones...whilst people only wants the Blue Monkey Skull, Kingly Imps themselves has the possibility of Onyx which harmed the Onyx street price, later on it got even more harmed once the Fight Kiln was released.
Posted Image

#13 Nott Vaengr

Nott Vaengr

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

There are so many ways that PoP could be improved..not to say I don't like it but there is room for growth.

1)  Imagine a combat minigame within PoP where you have to defend your PoP against a sea monster like a kraken (think Clash of the Titans) or a giant squid or octopus (anyone remember the 1955 movie, "It Came From Beneath the Sea").  Improve on this idea by having a group of players invited into your PoP and all defending against this monster.

2)  Connect PoP's for clans or friends.

3)  When a spectacular failure occurs on a voyage, why does the ship always make it home.  I think there should be a chance for all hands lost or the ship be destroyed and the player be required to build a new one.  This would certainly make lifeboats critical for those missions that are iffy.  It would also use up resources as crew, captain, and ship are replaced.  As it stands now, I'm building up resources that I don't have any use for.

4)  Have missions apply to other resources.  For example, why not have a mission for 400 magic logs or 50 runite ore?  It would at least add to the variety.

5)  The best idea I would like to see is ship to ship combat between players.  This could even be expanded to a challenge/betting system just like the fight arena.  Morale, combat, and seafaring stats would all be applicable to ship-to-ship combat.  I like the idea of firing cannons at a target that can fire back.
Scoundrel for hire.  Dragons Rescued.
Virginity Cured.   Castles Plundered.  
No Brigandry Too Small.   No Fee Too Large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: