• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin♫

Kevin♫

The Scientist

• RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

This week is Gamer Safety Week, and Jagex are taking part.

Gamer Safety Week is an annual opportunity to promote account safety and security, and ensure that you have the knowledge you need to keep your accounts where they belong: in your hands.

A couple of minutes spent taking a few simple steps will prevent your online experience turning sour should someone try to hijack your account.

These are the front-line options for ensuring that only you have access to your account:

Jagex Account Guardian

Once you’ve enabled Jagex Account Guardian (or JAG), only specific devices chosen by you will be able to access your account.

Email Recovery

Registering an email onto your account ensures that you can recover your account at the drop of a hat if your password is forgotten or changed by someone else.

Bank PIN

Set up a bank PIN and - should the unthinkable happen and someone else gains access your account - they won’t be able to steal your loot.

The following methods are applicable across all online accounts:
  • Ensure your password is strong and not easily guessable.
  • Use anti-spyware or anti-malware software and keep it up to date. You can find a list of good programmes here.
  • Educate yourself on phishing and avoid opening potentially harmful emails once you know the warning signs.
  • Most importantly, don’t share any of your personal information! The vast majority of account security breaches occur because of a shared password – keep it to yourself.

For more detail on this, take a look at our security tips page.

You’ll find everything you need - during Gamer Safety Week and beyond - on our official Account Security wiki and the Official Jagex Support YouTube Channel.

The RuneScape Team

Discuss this here.

Edited by Kevin♫, 08 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

- Sun Tzu (Art of War)

Recruiting Board Leader // Clan Discussion Staff // General Discussion Staff // Contact me with any questions.

#2 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Perhaps it's my cynicism that's talking but I'm pretty sure that not many people will take this seriously and we'll still have people making dumb moves with their account security and will still complain about how their account got stolen or some stupid bullcrap like that

#3 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I wonder how JAG and the other security measures have been working so far. A chart of reported hacks compared to past reports would be a good thing to see and help and convince people much more than just a reminder.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 George

George
  • RS Name:Gkef
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Won't be long before Solomon starts selling safety deposit boxes in recognition of "Gamer Safety Week".

Edited by George, 08 February 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#5 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostTS Togusa, on 08 February 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Perhaps it's my cynicism that's talking but I'm pretty sure that not many people will take this seriously and we'll still have people making dumb moves with their account security and will still complain about how their account got stolen or some stupid bullcrap like that
Yeah, but it's just another way to wash their hands clean of responsibility isn't it.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#6 Gohankuten

Gohankuten

Master of all Wills & Quests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostMilktea4me, on 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I wonder how JAG and the other security measures have been working so far. A chart of reported hacks compared to past reports would be a good thing to see and help and convince people much more than just a reminder.
The only people I have heard getting hacked have been people that have not enabled JAG for whatever reason.  I think JAG has been doing a fairly good job.

Thanks to Arno for the +1
Thanks to Teelex for the +2
954th Person To 99 Hunter
Master of all Wills and Quests
Posted Image

#7 Mikuri

Mikuri

♥ Flowing love ~

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Yep, like Gohan said, this JAG system look very nice to me. Even if sometimes it annoys me while playing on another PC.
But I agree on this kind of reminder since many players don't know about those things at all.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: