Top Reasons Why A New Server Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hopefully you read this and give your feedback, after all it keeps the community active.

We have all seen the petition signed by thousands of people as well as Mod Marks reply addressing the situation but this is my take on it. Before I begin lets get a few disclaimers out in the open before I make a few teens rage at the comments section below and wet their pants. First off, I loved Runescape 2006, the clans, the friendly environment, the healthy economy, the tame bot population, everything. I loved waking up early in the morning and seeing all my clan members prepping for the daily "big war" as well as training my skills to compete with friends. At this time I was about 10-12 years old.

Alright so now you ask, If you love 2006 Runescape then why are you saying a separate server will not work? To answer this question, it is because I am a realist and know how people think. So here are the top reasons why a new server will not work.

1) You are not 12 - Although it may be hard to see for some specific people, we have in our own ways, all grown up. We were the early Runescape generation that got to experience the game evolve. This being said, at the age of 12, we saw Runescape as a technologically advanced game, we didn't ask for better graphics because we had not seen what the graphics team is capable of yet, we were young so therefore we did not expect majorly difficult quest storylines or boss fights, and the extremely basic weapons suited out mental capacities. Nowadays with everyone anticipating the NEXT BIG BOSS!@! or grandmaster quest, the 2006 game would become very boring, very quickly.

2) Nostalgia - The other day, I went into my cellar and buried behind a box of my kickboxing equipment I found my old Dragon Ball Z action figures. The site of Goku, Piccolo, Gohan and the gang brought a giant smile to my face as I remembered the good times I had prior to technology. I then tossed them back into the box because I knew I would not expect myself to go upstairs and play with them. Believe it or not, nostalgia is NOT permanent. It wears off at an incredibly fast speed and that is what will happen if the 2006 or any other server is made. People will rush to the game for a week or so, and then log off.

3) Lack of people - Prior EOC, the Runescape game was already going into a steep decline of players. Once the EOC hit, many players including myself quit simply because we could not be bothered to learn an entirely new system for a game that we no longer obsess over. If a separate server opened, the current game community would become divided even further and do not expect long lost players to spontaneously return and become permanent players. People who quit the game now have quit for such a large period of time that they have no interest in playing a game that they played when they were 12 (they may check it out for nostalgia and then leave)

4) No clans - It is common knowledge that starting a new clan for the last few years is a death sentence from the start. It can't be done. The old Runescape thrived off clans and simply put, without them the game would not function. Sure you would have the odd leader trying to form a 2006 clan, but players would be missing and unenthusiastic.

5) Skills -  This is a funny one, remember people; bonfires, Runespan, Ivy, Living rock caverns, Summoning, and ALL the "easy" ways of training skills did not exist in the past game, this is all fairly new stuff, do you really think people are going to try their firemaking level using lines now that they are spoiled using bonfires? Hell no.

6) Pking - Player killing was enjoyable in 2006 but the only reason for it was because a full set of Rune was considered a decent loot. Add to that, the Rune 2hr being a powerful weapon you now have a recipe for disaster if you try recreating this. The current game as well as pre Eoc was riddled with hundreds of possible ways to kill your opponent and do you really think grown men are going to stand around a there characters slap one another with a rune scim waiting for the moment when you can pull out a Rune 2hr? Not going to happen, it will get boring. It was fun back then because that was all we knew and we were kids but not anymore.

7) No New Generation - The argument that, "well we loved Runescape 2006, so the kids of today will love it too and we will have a new community" does not work. Kids nowadays are growing up with Call of Duty and games with excellent graphics compared to Runescape 2006 so a game such as that would be a laugh for them. With not even a shred of new players entering the new server, it will die very quickly.

8) No update - Remember the purpose of a separate server is to preserve the past, and be sure to expect complaining such as

"well Jagex we enjoyed Runescape 2006, but perhaps you can add in godswords to this server? and maybe vengeance...? And perhaps all the grandmaster quests...?"

It will never end until you end up with PRE-EOC Runescape at which point you will have a game full of 20 year old men screaming, "the combat system is not balanced! fix this Jagex!"

Enter Evolution of combat era.

Alright well that was my little rant, those are the main things I can think of for now, if you have any of your own then say so below. I have been trying to remain active on this site and topics with tons of replies helps maintain an active community.

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#2 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

This is pretty much what I've been saying ever since these asinine ideas started popping up. I have a video too, but I can't post it because rules. However, it's by MLGudi and talks about how a certain (now defunct) private server will fail because of these reasons :-P

EDIT:
I was planning on making this topic, but I got ninja'd. :ph34r:
Well, at least you saved me the hassle of typing everything out.

Edited by TS Togusa, 04 February 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#3 *Tom*

*Tom*

Expect to win.

• RS Name:BornSkulled
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Depending on how they go about making the server (if they even do) as far as possibly having to train up again or importing ones stats, it will have an active (single) pking community and that is about it. From that though, some people will branch off into other skills like Slayer etc. to make large amounts of wealth from items that the pking community will consume at a fast rate. It's not going to have hundreds of thousands of players, but there will be a decent sized group of core members with a few clans battling it out.

Tooheyy @SwiftIRC

Posted Image

>> Zybez Content Team << - >>Zchat Moderator<< - >> Zybez20 Team <<

Posted Image

#4 nxt

nxt

• RS Name:Wyatt Family

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yep.

Everyone has a different opinion on exactly what version, what update the game should be at. Which is one of the main reasons why a specific server will just generate more "Jagex why you make the game exactly the way i want it". Also where is the fun in pk'ing with a whip in rune or people win bombing in Dharok's. Also the old system was dated by the end of 2007. The EOC is something that was needed to be done years ago, not saying its the perfect option but a step in the right direction.

Focus on the future not the past people.

Also this type of complaining is everywhere.

Spoiler

Edited by Dk_proska8, 05 February 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#5 Derek Yo

Derek Yo

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'd agree with you if Private Servers based on old-runescape haven't thrived since EoC, with some major runescape pkers making videos of some. While I don't do private servers, some people in my clan do, and there are many clans (most of the pure community went to private servers due to eoc), and more often than not, most servers have a much more active wilderness.

Although this isn't a Private Server topic, I think you'd find a lot of counter arguments to your points just by studying private server activities. Yes, people aren't 12, however PKers don't care for quests and storylines, PVMing, etc, they just want to have the old combat system.
We do not allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - mod derek

#6 BIacksmith

BIacksmith

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yet a 2006 private server that started in December has already 69k registered members. People will play it if they bring it out, It's like people playing the old Counter strike, WC3, Age of Kings.

It will die down eventually but I still reckon there is a good 5+ years in the idea.

Posted Image

#7 iMagiaErebea

iMagiaErebea

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

A good portion of people don't want to spend forever rebuilding maxed accounts anyway. The ones who do play will probably make pking accounts that can be trained up in no time. I doubt many will do much skilling, this depends entirely on how Jagex sets it up if they do. If they import accounts and banks, there probably won't be much skilling. If they make it a complete restart server with no items then it'll probably go straight down the pot since hardly anyone will wanna train to get the stuff to pk. I'm for it, but not hopeful because this is Jagex we're talking about. Either it doesn't get implemented or they screw it up somehow.

#8 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostBIacksmith, on 04 February 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Yet a 2006 private server that started in December has already 69k registered members.

Its like the nonsense Jagex was referring to a few months ago when they made a giant fiasco about "200million accounts made!@!@!". It does not mean there are 200million players, let alone a million. The same situation can be applied to this server, 69k registered members may not mean 69k players, it may mean 69k accounts made by a couple thousand players looking to check things out or different pures etc. I do not know the exact details I am merely speculating. Also with a private server business... I wouldn't exactly trust their numbers.....

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#9 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Nowadays with everyone anticipating the NEXT BIG BOSS!@! or grandmaster quest, the 2006 game would become very boring, very quickly.
Those are the people that will be EoC not the people that are asking for old servers or the ones playing RSPS's and i dont know where you get everybody anctipating the new big boss/quest from i couldnt careless about them and know lots of people who feel the same...

Currently on Pservers theres heaps of new clans being made since EoC launch and daily activity is booming.

I find it funny that you say old servers will become boring very quickly when the updates you mentioned EVERYBODY is looking foward to sound very boring... each to thier own people play how they like so if they like old combat system then let 'em play

Edited by Blackenese, 04 February 2013 - 10:58 PM.

(17:47:17) <D156> we aint fighting rot

#10 Kevin♫

Kevin♫

The Scientist

• RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

From a clanning perspective, I can see why it would be wanted. I mean, clan fights aren't fought to acquire wealth. They are just fought so that one can be victorious over the other. The evolution of combat has made Wilderness fights difficult, and has driven a lot of activity away from this clan world. I won't lie, however, that the clan world did it to itself, but this did not help much either.

However, other parts of the game such as skilling, PvMing and such will not be as populated, which is why the supply for these fights will probably be limited. It really depends on whether or no the economy will be split or not (assuming it will).

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

- Sun Tzu (Art of War)

Recruiting Board Leader // Clan Discussion Staff // General Discussion Staff // Contact me with any questions.

#11 BIacksmith

BIacksmith

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostJessyU, on 04 February 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostBIacksmith, on 04 February 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Yet a 2006 private server that started in December has already 69k registered members.

Its like the nonsense Jagex was referring to a few months ago when they made a giant fiasco about "200million accounts made!@!@!". It does not mean there are 200million players, let alone a million. The same situation can be applied to this server, 69k registered members may not mean 69k players, it may mean 69k accounts made by a couple thousand players looking to check things out or different pures etc. I do not know the exact details I am merely speculating. Also with a private server business... I wouldn't exactly trust their numbers.....

Agreed 69k account registered doesn't mean 69k active accounts due to people making multiple accounts, etc, but there is 4k people online at any given time. Alas 4000 isn't a great number of players but then again they are just a private server.

Posted Image

#12 AussyNick

AussyNick

• RS Name:Kanshak

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Well said mate, I agree with everything you said! :)

#13 d0nts

d0nts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

I don't think anyone ever played Runescape for the graphics. It was bad back then and still not up to par with other games despite it being a java based game. They played for PKing and clan aspect of the game from what I've seen. It was never about getting decent loot, but just outperforming your opponent and interacting with whatever clan you were in.

As long as this attracts some old players, which I'm sure it will, I can see it being a sustainable project. Dunno for how long though. Not even sure if this is even likely to happen in the near future.

Posted Image

#14 Forkheb

Forkheb

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

Using the DBZ analogy is a bit farfetched. It would be more appropriate to compare to other video games. Games such as Fifa and Cod have kept the same formula for as long as most can remember and are still doing well. Nintendo sucessfully re-released their older games (leaf green, soul silver) and there is no reason why Jagex should not atleast give this a try. All you have basically said is nostalgia and we're not kids anymore. I feel runescape has lost its appeal to casual gamers and an older simpler version of the game would cater for alot of them including myself. (original post was alot longer and detailed but accidently clicked backspace o-o)

Edited by Kamicolo1, 05 February 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#15 Naffry

Naffry

• RS Name:Naffry
  • Clan:Clantast1c

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

This is one reason why I never played WoW. I can't stand the idea of having to start again on a new server. This is all due to people wanting the old runescape back. They need to get over it imo. I've been playing since RS2 came out and feel that progress has been made since then and will continue.

#16 rudy

rudy

Super Senior Member

• RS Name:Kelso

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Still confused on why people think this petition is targeted towards bringing back 06 servers. It's just about bringing back pre-eoc combat. <.<

#17 N1te

N1te

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostJessyU, on 04 February 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

DISAGREE 100% BECAUSE JAGEX NEVER SAID IT WAS AN 06 SERVER.

They said MAYBE. Most likely they would make a pre-EoC server.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Margus

Margus
  • RS Name:Torment

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostN1te, on 05 February 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostJessyU, on 04 February 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

DISAGREE 100% BECAUSE JAGEX NEVER SAID IT WAS AN 06 SERVER.

They said MAYBE. Most likely they would make a pre-EoC server.

i'd imagine they would make another poll/referendum and i'm confident most of the people would vote for 2005-2007. Tho jagex has almost never delivered on anything they've promised so no point getting our hopes up just yet.

#19 Money

Money

420blazeit

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostMargus, on 05 February 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

i'd imagine they would make another poll/referendum and i'm confident most of the people would vote for 2005-2007. Tho jagex has almost never delivered on anything they've promised so no point getting our hopes up just yet.

I highly doubt that. Most people who support 2005-2007 are clanners. Almost everyone else would not be able to live without the GE, the multitude of weapons & bosses, the ease of which to train skills, etc.

Edited by Money, 05 February 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#20 Scotty dont7

Scotty dont7

Block shots, not buddies.

• RS Name:Scotty Dont7

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I don't think I could disagree more :thumbsup:

Do you have what it takes?

@@SD7 ON MY CHEST@@

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font: