Staff Vs. Wand

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 coletrain66

coletrain66

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

alright so i just bought a virtus wand thinking how awesome i have one... then i notieced that wands do 50% less dmg then a staff... so i would like your guys opinion on the subject.. is the double hit rate plus the extra 150 accuracy better then a staff of light? noticed that ill hit around 700 with wand and around 1500 with the staff.. seems like i might have wasted 189M? what do you guys think?

#2 iFeennix

iFeennix

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

nahhh you didnt wasted your money, wand allows you to use shields , and that in Bossing is vital to survive (especially in EoC) :) while staffs now are 2h so you cant use shield with em

#3 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wands are much better if you're using momentum, as most people do. Assuming you're using a book in the off-hand slot your money was well spent.

Remember you can always just sell the wand back if you're unhappy with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#4 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

A wand is only good if you have its off-hand equivalent. So if you have a Virtus book as well, then you should be good to go. In essence, it boils down to this:

Wand+orb/book = Rapid attacks, lower damage
Staff - Slow attacks, high damage

Speed is an important factor in calculating DPS, and keep in mind some bosses require you to use a shield, so a wand is favourable in some situations.

#5 coletrain66

coletrain66

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

alot of good feed back guys i appreciate it.. gonna stick with it for now.. and test it out on certain mobs to see which one i like better.. so far im in duel arena and i cant make up my mind lol

#6 KingThampi16

KingThampi16

• RS Name:Kingthampi4

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Wands are the best. they allow u to get a shield equipped.

Posted Image

#7 Brogusa

Brogusa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostKingThampi16, on 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Wands are the best. they allow u to get a shield equipped.

That's debatable. In some cases, higher DPS can be more advantageous than having a higher defence.

Wands are good to use, but without their off-hand equivalent, the accuracy is significantly lower than that of a Staff's.
Staves have a slower casting speed, but spell damage is increased significantly when casting with a staff.

#8 Blezsonic

Blezsonic

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Slightly off topic but if I were you... I would sell the wand and buy a drygore weapon, virtus wand can be substituted for a chaotic staff or abs when you NEED to mage. Its pretty much meleescape atm since the accuracy on drygore is so high that you can destroy almost any monster with it.
Posted Image

#9 coletrain66

coletrain66

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

dont have 90 attack :) also dont plan on gettting 90 attack.. i think drygor is for 90

dont have 90 attack :) and also whats abs? and i think about to solo bandos once with staff of light. once with virtus wand. is staff wins im selling the wand.. wish me luck lol

View PostTS Togusa, on 02 February 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

A wand is only good if you have its off-hand equivalent. So if you have a Virtus book as well, then you should be good to go. In essence, it boils down to this:

Wand+orb/book = Rapid attacks, lower damage
Staff - Slow attacks, high damage

Speed is an important factor in calculating DPS, and keep in mind some bosses require you to use a shield, so a wand is favourable in some situations.
why is it only better if you have its offhand equivalent?  does the offhand add to the main hand or is it an accuracy all by itself.. also it already has like 2452 acc. also when you have its book/orb equiped in off-hand the dmg out put goes from 100% down to 75%..... lol i hate this cant make up my mind

#10 coletrain66

coletrain66

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

well .. with virtus wand im able to solo bandos about 3 or 4 times with out restocking.. with staff i can barely do it once.  so wand wins lol

going to train summoning now to get the yak or maybe just the war turtle.. thatll increase my chances :D

#11 Brogusa

Brogusa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Postcoletrain66, on 02 February 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

well .. with virtus wand im able to solo bandos about 3 or 4 times with out restocking.. with staff i can barely do it once.  so wand wins lol

going to train summoning now to get the yak or maybe just the war turtle.. thatll increase my chances :D

So I take it that your question has been answered?

#12 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

If you're using plain Ability Spamming like most people, a Chaotic Staff is the better option rather than a Virtus Wand. If Abilities had like 1-2 more seconds of cooldown, then I can see the Virtus Wand being better than the Chaotic Staff, but since they don't, go for a Chaotic Staff.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Vigilant Foe

Vigilant Foe

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostMilktea4me, on 02 February 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

If you're using plain Ability Spamming like most people, a Chaotic Staff is the better option rather than a Virtus Wand. If Abilities had like 1-2 more seconds of cooldown, then I can see the Virtus Wand being better than the Chaotic Staff, but since they don't, go for a Chaotic Staff.
I should probably point out that each auto attack with a staff is better than each basic ability (except Dragon Breath). Ability damage with a wand is the same as a staff. You only get the +50% damage on auto attacks.

Chaotic staff and ability stacking is great
Virtus wand and ability stacking is probably better, assuming the accuracy difference is a nonfactor

Books aren't very good. Their accuracy is absolutely terrible. They do not get calculated into abilities, either. Unless you're being lazy and doing something like Slayer with Momentum, you should never use a book.

#14 Cypher

Cypher

| (• ◡•)|

• RS Name:Waterbender

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

View Postcoletrain66, on 02 February 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

why is it only better if you have its offhand equivalent?  does the offhand add to the main hand or is it an accuracy all by itself.. also it already has like 2452 acc. also when you have its book/orb equiped in off-hand the dmg out put goes from 100% down to 75%..... lol i hate this cant make up my mind
When you use any orb/book (does not have to be the virtus book, it could be an ahrim book, grifolic orb, etc.) with a wand, you are correct, the damage falls to 75%. However, the casting speed doubles. So in the time it takes you to use 1 spell with a staff for 150% damage, you'll fire off 2 spells with your wand and book/orb at 75%, totalling to 150%. On paper, this looks great. Plus you always have the option of dropping to basic casting speed at normal damage output in favor of using a shield. Unfortunately, most dual wield set-ups are severely outclassed by any equivalent 2h weapon. This is because abilities pretty much negate weapon speed. As Vigilant above me said, you can use ability stacking to practically double your casting speed with a staff. You let your staff use a normal attack, and then immediately use an ability (usually wrack, or any of the basic abilities and sometimes thresholds). You then let your staff use its auto-attack again while your ability cool-down recharges and use the ability again, getting 2 hits every time you attack. A wand can do this, but the auto attacks from it will be 50% (75% if you have a book/orb equipped) weaker. Also, the book/orb does not contribute to the ability's damage and the faster speed it offers is pretty much negated by abilities.

So for most general maging (including easier bosses like Graardor) a chaotic staff will be much better than a virtus wand. For harder bosses that require a shield (mostly KK and maybe Nex) a wand will be preferable. However, for pretty much any boss except KK, you can bring a shield with you and just switch to it when you need shield abilities, allowing you to still use your chaotic staff. The only time you really should use a wand+book/orb combo is if you're using momentum. So your main question here is if you made a good purchase or not. Well, if you plan to mage with a shield (for bosses like KK or QBD, or even something like metal dragons if you don't have super antifires), then that virtus wand is the best magic weapon you can use. If you don't need a shield, a chaotic staff will be a lot better. Also, I saw that you kept comparing the virtus wand to a staff of light. Of course the wand will win, it's a level 80 equipment compared to the level 75 staff of light. A chaotic staff at level 80 would be a much better comparison. But if you don't have the dung tokens for chaotic staff, you need to use a shield, or you're lazy and like to use momentum magic (be sure to get a book if you do), then the wand will be fine.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

[3DS Friend Code: 4785-5458-1412 | Pokemon X and Animal Crossing: New Leaf]

#15 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

• RS Name:Brain Ou

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostVigilant Foe, on 03 February 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

Books aren't very good. Their accuracy is absolutely terrible. They do not get calculated into abilities, either. Unless you're being lazy and doing something like Slayer with Momentum, you should never use a book.
Actually, it seems that magic offhands just add their accuracy to your wand, and double your casting speed from 2.4 to 1.2. If they worked the same ass other offhands, they'd show a damage/critical/type/speed in equipment stats.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 03 February 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

Add me on League of Legends (NA/EUW) and Steam:
"BrainiacOutcast"

#16 Aceman

Aceman

The King

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Personally I'd go with a staff over a wand in any situation besides pvp. Pvp you need the def bonus while the rest of rs you can find some sort of compensation for noth aving a shield.

#17 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

• RS Name:Brain Ou

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

To actually answer the question (mostly for the benefit of future onlookers), wands are generally better than staves of the same level. You are able to stack abilities on top of auto-attacks resulting in one ability and one auto-attack every 2.4 seconds with a wand and every 3.6 with a staff. Aside from the obvious benefits of quicker adrenaline and the ability to wear a shield, magic abilities do not seem to get any damage boost when using a staff, while auto-attacks do - and even if they did receive the bonus, the dps would still be lower due to slower adrenaline.

Edited by BrainiacOutcast, 03 February 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

Add me on League of Legends (NA/EUW) and Steam:
"BrainiacOutcast"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: