How Do You Stay Retired From Rs?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Today i realized i needed to quit, and to make sure i didn't come back i just staked my bank until i lost. How did you all manage to quit for good? Any tips for staying off scape? How did your life change once you quit?
Posted Image

#2 JackB

JackB

"You can shut up and you can both shut up"

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Waking up and realising the game is crap. Then doing other things forever.
You make it sound like it's a lifelong journey, it isn't.

#3 Leondreux

Leondreux

• RS Name:Alweoi
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Just takes some self control, man.  I haven't quit (not because I'm addicted but because it's a fun thing to come back to every once in a while), but I can if I wanted to.  It's just a game and I guess you just have to remember that.  Better things in life than video games.

or... you could just sever your ethernet cable with a pair of precisely sharpened scissors.

Edited by Leondreux, 25 January 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#4 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostJackB, on 25 January 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Waking up and realising the game is crap. Then doing other things forever.
You make it sound like it's a lifelong journey, it isn't.

For me the game affected me early (age 6) and now im 16 and so quitting won't be easy as it was a major part of what i did, for some people rs was a phase, i was unlucky and just realizing what its done to me, even though not all negative it's defeinently not going to be a good thing if i continue playing so im just trying to figure out how to do this with ease.
Posted Image

#5 I Love You

I Love You

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

You can download programs that will block runescape from your computer.. Tell your parents to set the web block password to something that you don't know..
Good luck in life if you decide to go through with this..

Posted ImagePosted Image

I wish it is always You,

Only You and I

#6 » Caudery

» Caudery

Caudery 13.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

You need to find something to replace the time you play scape. Whether its a job, going out more or even finding a hobby that you can do for decent hours at a time.
You may not use clan signatures / under-banners of clans that you are not currently in, they have been left linked in the spoiler in case you need to save them, please change your signature to something else. Any issues PM any of the CD staff.

#7 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Trust me i've decided, my parents won't extend my membership and i cancelled it, i just don't want to have a hard time dealing with it. Thanks.

@ Caud, i want to spend more time excersizing, gotta lose the wieght i've accumalated, have a log in fitness. I hopefully will get a job this summer but until then... and no idea how to replace 4+ hours of scape a day

Edited by fiery 2hh, 25 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Just don't play? Have some self control.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#9 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• RS Name:ToeJam
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Evaluate what you get out of the game. Is it a substitute for something missing? i.e. real social circles. Is it an escape? If so, could you replace it with a hobby that you could commit time to that is healthier/more beneficial to you - be it creative, fitness orientated, some real life skill etc.

For me, I was very addicted to the game... but I needed to focus more on my real life commitments and study. I still play now and again but I've limited what I do to specific tasks - spins, misc kingdom... the occasional clan event, rather than skilling all day or playing a mini game.

That way I still stay in touch with friends I've made... but I'm making better use of my time.

It's all well and good people saying 'have some self control man' in what ever condescending manner suits them :lol: but we're all different and we all have to approach problems in our own way that suits our behavior and traits. If you aren't the sort of person that can just stop doing something in a cold turkey manner, then break it down into steps.

Posted Image

#10 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Toejam it was an escape for me, as i went through a 6 month deep depression time in which rs saved me, i just am not sure of what other activity can do that for me.
Posted Image

#11 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

don't stop playing for the sake of stopping to play. If you enjoy the game then keep playing. I quit runescape because I did not like Jagex, nor did I enjoy the updates which led me to finding the game boring. As well as real life responsibilities I find it very easy staying away from the game and have no intention to ever return. But that does not mean that I will never return simply for the SAKE of not returning. If I get interested in the game again I will return but as I said, that most likely will never happen again.

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#12 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Its the fact i need to quit though, its at the point if where i come back to do dailies ill start playing for more, skilling, maybe even pvming again so i want to be done with this 100% instead of just slightly.
Posted Image

#13 JessyU

JessyU

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

to answer your second question of how my life changed... well I find I have about 5-6 more spare hours in the day which I use to pick up extra shifts at work, go out more, finish books faster, spend more time at the gym etc but I also found that I do miss runescape and hanging out in-game with all my Zchat friends and going pking etc with them. Those times may have been funner then the ones listed above.

#14 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postfiery 2hh, on 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Toejam it was an escape for me, as i went through a 6 month deep depression time in which rs saved me, i just am not sure of what other activity can do that for me.

I can semi relate as depression is something I have dealt with... hobbies (be it gaming or whatever) can serve as an escape from that... but the reality will hit home when your concentration is then placed elsewhere. Ideally you should just go and speak to your doctor and possibly think about counseling.

As for a replacement hobby... think about what you're good at... you will have skills and interests, so explore that and see what grabs your fancy. If your parents are willing they may even back you and give you financial support to delve into a hobby further if it's something that requires equipment or courses.

Posted Image

#15 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

@Toejam i dont think i could deal with counseling, but thats something else for another day, i'm thinking of pursueing sketching but i'm not sure if i'm good enough to be any good at it, i've always been talented at drawing but i haven't progress much in the past year in my abilities.
Posted Image

#16 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postfiery 2hh, on 25 January 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

@Toejam i dont think i could deal with counseling, but thats something else for another day, i'm thinking of pursueing sketching but i'm not sure if i'm good enough to be any good at it, i've always been talented at drawing but i haven't progress much in the past year in my abilities.

That's the thing with hobbies I find. A lot of people go into this activity or that for other peoples approval rather than their own enjoyment... and it's that which inevitably leads them to doing 'a stink this, I'm crap at it'. Do something because you find pleasure in it... not for anyone elses pleasure... but your own. Essentially that is what a hobby is all about: something that wastes a few hours doing 'fun stuff'.

It's like the inventor analogy of the bloke that makes things that are totally useless and those around just nod and smile in a bemused 'you're a nut' kind of way... it was the doing of it that was what mattered to him.

Posted Image

#17 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

The issue with drawing is i can sit and stare at a blank paper for hours and not get motivated to draw anything. I like doing pixel art on paint but my stuff isn't that great.
Posted Image

#18 JessyU

JessyU

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'll ask again... if playing runescape makes you happy... then why stop? Its just a game, eventually it'll die or you'll get bored of it, especially if your young. As long as you play in moderation and not take it overly serious then you dont have to "retire".

#19 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I'd rather just have it done for good then casually play it, it's hard for me to explain why but its a deep-rooted thing.
Posted Image

#20 Elder Jr

Elder Jr
  • RS Name:Elder Jr
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Ronin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I really miss the game but whenever i ever feel like returning i remember the very last moments i spent in this game which were really bad. Basically, most of the people that have moved on left Runescape for good and haven't looked back. It was a good while we spent here but we can't stay clinged to it forever, just like life, everything moves on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: