It's Task time once again, and - in accordance with your feedback - our latest set is based in the sand-blasted splendour of the Kharidian Desert. For old-school veterans of the Achievement Diaries, this is a chance to add a new piece to your hard-earned Task gear collection and rack up some indispensable high-level rewards. For newer players, it's also a golden opportunity to discover the amazing content out there in Gielinor's arid lands, while picking up some sweet rewards in the process.
The 43 new Tasks are split into Easy, Medium, Hard and Elite categories, and encompass the full breadth of the desert's adventuring prospects. The Tasks range from such humble undertakings as catching a golden warbler or dancing with the troubadours outside the Citharede Abbey, right up to heroic feats such as completing every achievement within the Dominion Tower, or slaying a desert strykewyrm while equipped with a fully charged slayer helm and ancient staff.
Completing the Easy Tasks will earn you the Desert Amulet, which is upgraded with each consecutive tier of Tasks that you complete. Each upgrade increases the amulet's stats, and also adds handy functions to it. These include reduced failure on the Agility Pyramid; unlimited teleports to Nardah; and the ability to create a quota of molten glass each day only from soda ash, as long as you're within the desert.
There's a ton of rewards to be had beside the amulet, too, all of which apply permanently when you've completed the requisite tier of Tasks. These include discounts at the Mage Training Arena's pizazz store; access to an additional teak tree and sandstone rock; the opportunity to upgrade the stats of your ancient staff; and a free, daily supply of potato cacti. Last, but not least, you'll get lamps full of glorious XP with each tier that you complete - up to a whopping 160,000 XP for the Elite tier!
So - dust off your desert gear, top up your waterskin and bask in the oasis of Task-finishing fulfilment.
We'd love to hear your ideas for future Task Sets, so head on over to the Suggestions Forum and let us know!
Queen of Squirrels
How to start the Desert Task Set:
Access the Noticeboard. Then, select the Achievements heading, followed by 'Desert' in the drop-down box at the top-left of the interface. Through this, you can see what you need to do for each Task, and where to claim your rewards once you have completed the sets.
- You must be a RuneScape member.
If you haven't already, take a tour of the Desert Tasks with our recent Behind the Scenes video:
In Other News
- Grab one of our Abduction Teleports before it grabs you, over at Solomon's General Store!
- Yelps is hosting a Summoning extravaganza on the Squeal of Fortune this weekend. Keep an eye out for further details!
- The rug merchants in the desert now offer a new "fast travel" option, which instantly delivers you to your chosen magic carpet destination, albeit at 5 times the standard cost of the journey.
- The Recruit-a-Friend system now uses Bonus XP scrolls, which are stackable and can be activated whenever you choose.
- Diango has introduced a new way of retrieving your previously claimed holiday items, through an easy-to-use interface. Take a look here for full details.
- Several monsters have had their Defence lowered, so they can be hit more consistently, including steel dragons and dark beasts.
- The beachwear top and K'ril's battlegear skirt cosmetic overrides no longer cause transparency issues whilst fishing.
- Queen Sigrid's wardrobe malfunction has now been fixed.
- Outlaws now use up to date attacks and modern steel scimitars.
- Urist Loric's hand no long stretches when you hand him the toy dragon.
- Corrected the bloom settings in the Souls Bane dungeon to stop it from going white.
- Chrome goggles and the dragon hairstyle no longer cause characters jaw to disconnect in chat head view.
- Bryll robe tops no longer look like Roseblood robe tops.
- Prison Pete's hand no longer stretches when he unlocks a padlock from the locked door during a random event.
- The chatbox is now being displayed properly when trying to buy from the GE with the chatbox minimized.
- All of the Tyras Guard chat head's have been updated.
- The red manap action kilt will now be red instead of purple on male characters.
- The lighting around Draynor has been restored to give the gloomy atmosphere Draynor deserves.
- Recolouring TokHaar armour now works correctly.
- Ramrods are now put in the correct hand during the Cabin Fever quest.
- Corrected some issues that were causing the desert robes to stretch and tear when performing certain emotes.
- Katrine now holds her weapon in her hand, not her wrist.
Quests, Challenges & Achievements:
- Fixed some logic issues with unlocking the Old Wizard's tower during Rune Mysteries.
- A statue in the Wizard's Tower Ruins will no longer incorrectly display a Zamorak icon.
- Magpie implings now count towards the Impetuous Impulses VI daily challenge.
- It is once again possible to attack the Sleeping goblin during the Observatory quest.
- The Assassin event in a Player Owned Port will no longer block a barrel with another barrel in the south-western area of the port.
- You can no longer sell XP pendants to the Dungeoneering Smuggler.
- Subleather body requirements have been reverted to 10 ranged and defence.
- The scrimshaw of cruelty poison no longer affects players after they have died.
- The level requirements for penance armour have been corrected in the Skill Advance Guide.
- The "Athlete" title from the Members Loyalty Programme no longer gives "The Real" title.
- Players no longer lose any extra pudding amulets they take into Dungeoneering with them.
- Player Owned Port Captains will no longer be given "The the Cruel" style names.
- The Taverley bank now has the same healing aura as other banks.
- An additional page has been added to the Costume room toy box to display the full set of Beta Scientist kit.
- The "Extras" side stone now appears correctly on exiting the Troll Warzone tutorial.
- Adrenaline now drains correctly after exiting the Relleka Yeti cave after using Regenerate.
- It is no longer possible to attack certain blocks in Dungeoneering.
- Players can once again use the keyboard to select destinations on the games necklace interface.
- A blocked route to the deposit box in the Runecrafting Guild has been cleared.
- The "MTX Pet" object is no longer given to the player on playing through the Lunar Diplomacy quest.
- Some tall grass has been added near the Scimitar stall on Ape Atoll to assist budding thieves.
- Karil's pistol crossbows now use Bolt racks as ammunition.
- Spam clicking during the opening Troll Warzone cutscene no longer causes the player to get stuck during the "move your camera" section.
Edited by Jay, 21 January 2013 - 08:12 AM.