Desert Tasks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate this update? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this update?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Desert Tasks (members only)

Posted Image

It's Task time once again, and - in accordance with your feedback - our latest set is based in the sand-blasted splendour of the Kharidian Desert. For old-school veterans of the Achievement Diaries, this is a chance to add a new piece to your hard-earned Task gear collection and rack up some indispensable high-level rewards. For newer players, it's also a golden opportunity to discover the amazing content out there in Gielinor's arid lands, while picking up some sweet rewards in the process.

The 43 new Tasks are split into Easy, Medium, Hard and Elite categories, and encompass the full breadth of the desert's adventuring prospects. The Tasks range from such humble undertakings as catching a golden warbler or dancing with the troubadours outside the Citharede Abbey, right up to heroic feats such as completing every achievement within the Dominion Tower, or slaying a desert strykewyrm while equipped with a fully charged slayer helm and ancient staff.

Completing the Easy Tasks will earn you the Desert Amulet, which is upgraded with each consecutive tier of Tasks that you complete. Each upgrade increases the amulet's stats, and also adds handy functions to it. These include reduced failure on the Agility Pyramid; unlimited teleports to Nardah; and the ability to create a quota of molten glass each day only from soda ash, as long as you're within the desert.

Posted Image

There's a ton of rewards to be had beside the amulet, too, all of which apply permanently when you've completed the requisite tier of Tasks. These include discounts at the Mage Training Arena's pizazz store; access to an additional teak tree and sandstone rock; the opportunity to upgrade the stats of your ancient staff; and a free, daily supply of potato cacti. Last, but not least, you'll get lamps full of glorious XP with each tier that you complete - up to a whopping 160,000 XP for the Elite tier!

So - dust off your desert gear, top up your waterskin and bask in the oasis of Task-finishing fulfilment.

We'd love to hear your ideas for future Task Sets, so head on over to the Suggestions Forum and let us know!

Mod Maz
Queen of Squirrels

How to start the Desert Task Set:

Access the Noticeboard. Then, select the Achievements heading, followed by 'Desert' in the drop-down box at the top-left of the interface. Through this, you can see what you need to do for each Task, and where to claim your rewards once you have completed the sets.

Requirements: Behind the Scenes Video

If you haven't already, take a tour of the Desert Tasks with our recent Behind the Scenes video:

In Other News
  • Grab one of our Abduction Teleports before it grabs you, over at Solomon's General Store!
  • Yelps is hosting a Summoning extravaganza on the Squeal of Fortune this weekend. Keep an eye out for further details!
  • The rug merchants in the desert now offer a new "fast travel" option, which instantly delivers you to your chosen magic carpet destination, albeit at 5 times the standard cost of the journey.
  • The Recruit-a-Friend system now uses Bonus XP scrolls, which are stackable and can be activated whenever you choose.
  • Diango has introduced a new way of retrieving your previously claimed holiday items, through an easy-to-use interface. Take a look here for full details.
  • Several monsters have had their Defence lowered, so they can be hit more consistently, including steel dragons and dark beasts.
21st January 2013

Graphical:
  • The beachwear top and K'ril's battlegear skirt cosmetic overrides no longer cause transparency issues whilst fishing.
  • Queen Sigrid's wardrobe malfunction has now been fixed.
  • Outlaws now use up to date attacks and modern steel scimitars.
  • Urist Loric's hand no long stretches when you hand him the toy dragon.
  • Corrected the bloom settings in the Souls Bane dungeon to stop it from going white.
  • Chrome goggles and the dragon hairstyle no longer cause characters jaw to disconnect in chat head view.
  • Bryll robe tops no longer look like Roseblood robe tops.
  • Prison Pete's hand no longer stretches when he unlocks a padlock from the locked door during a random event.
  • The chatbox is now being displayed properly when trying to buy from the GE with the chatbox minimized.
  • All of the Tyras Guard chat head's have been updated.
  • The red manap action kilt will now be red instead of purple on male characters.
  • The lighting around Draynor has been restored to give the gloomy atmosphere Draynor deserves.
  • Recolouring TokHaar armour now works correctly.
  • Ramrods are now put in the correct hand during the Cabin Fever quest.
  • Corrected some issues that were causing the desert robes to stretch and tear when performing certain emotes.
  • Katrine now holds her weapon in her hand, not her wrist.

Quests, Challenges & Achievements:
  • Fixed some logic issues with unlocking the Old Wizard's tower during Rune Mysteries.
  • A statue in the Wizard's Tower Ruins will no longer incorrectly display a Zamorak icon.
  • Magpie implings now count towards the Impetuous Impulses VI daily challenge.
  • It is once again possible to attack the Sleeping goblin during the Observatory quest.

Other:
  • The Assassin event in a Player Owned Port will no longer block a barrel with another barrel in the south-western area of the port.
  • You can no longer sell XP pendants to the Dungeoneering Smuggler.
  • Subleather body requirements have been reverted to 10 ranged and defence.
  • The scrimshaw of cruelty poison no longer affects players after they have died.
  • The level requirements for penance armour have been corrected in the Skill Advance Guide.
  • The "Athlete" title from the Members Loyalty Programme no longer gives "The Real" title.
  • Players no longer lose any extra pudding amulets they take into Dungeoneering with them.
  • Player Owned Port Captains will no longer be given "The the Cruel" style names.
  • The Taverley bank now has the same healing aura as other banks.
  • An additional page has been added to the Costume room toy box to display the full set of Beta Scientist kit.
  • The "Extras" side stone now appears correctly on exiting the Troll Warzone tutorial.
  • Adrenaline now drains correctly after exiting the Relleka Yeti cave after using Regenerate.
  • It is no longer possible to attack certain blocks in Dungeoneering.
  • Players can once again use the keyboard to select destinations on the games necklace interface.
  • A blocked route to the deposit box in the Runecrafting Guild has been cleared.
  • The "MTX Pet" object is no longer given to the player on playing through the Lunar Diplomacy quest.
  • Some tall grass has been added near the Scimitar stall on Ape Atoll to assist budding thieves.
  • Karil's pistol crossbows now use Bolt racks as ammunition.
  • Spam clicking during the opening Troll Warzone cutscene no longer causes the player to get stuck during the "move your camera" section.

Edited by Jay, 21 January 2013 - 08:12 AM.

"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

#2 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

These include discounts at the Mage Training Arena's pizazz store; access to an additional teak tree and sandstone rock; the opportunity to upgrade the stats of your ancient staff; and a free, daily supply of potato cacti.
The rug merchants in the desert now offer a new "fast travel" option, which instantly delivers you to your chosen magic carpet destination, albeit at 5 times the standard cost of the journey.
Several monsters have had their Defence lowered, so they can be hit more consistently, including steel dragons and dark beasts.
Really liking the sound of these. I may actually have to do this diary.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 stevembk

stevembk

• RS Name:stevembk
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Task rewards dont sound as useful as I was expecting other than staff upgrade and pizaz pts.

I would have preferred a more detailed list of the updated monsters with lowered defense.

Fast travel rugs is a plus!

"Use a dreadnip on the Kalphite Queen" should be elite, not hard.

Edited by stevembk, 21 January 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Posted Image

99's: Thieving, Attack, Woodcut, Crafting, Farming, HP, Range, Slayer, Strength, Herblore, Hunter, Firemaking, Summoning, Runecrafting, Magic
CURRENT GOALS: 94/95 Prayer

#4 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

was expecting some Dom tower tasks, but get all achievements, really Jagex.... On top of that the rewards seem pretty crappy for how much you have to do.  I mean who cares about rerolling Dom Tower reward, let alone after you got all the achievements...

I hope they fixed Thok and Brink of Extinction at least, but i doubt it.

Edited by ~ Darky ~, 21 January 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Stanley

Stanley

Completionist

• RS Name:Stanley

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Here's a full list for anyone who cba to keep checking the noticeboard:
http://services.rune...rt_Achievements

Posted Image

An alternative to a fury since it's only .3% less critical and 1 prayer bonus better. Plus it's free and has a cool teleport emote.

For ancient staff, unless there's some kind of hidden enhancement, the improvement only gave a +2 prayer bonus and +46 accuracy.

Edited by d4rkm4st3rz8, 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

View Poststevembk, on 21 January 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Whats so elite about it? KQ isn't a hard boss to get to you don't even have to kill it just use dreadnip on it by the sounds of it and obtaining dreadnips isnt hard either anyone can rekill boss monsters they already killed to get it.

(17:47:17) <D156> we aint fighting rot

#7 Boot

Boot

The one and only

• RS Name:Il Boot Il
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

View Poststevembk, on 21 January 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Task rewards dont sound as useful as I was expecting other than staff upgrade and pizaz pts.

I would have preferred a more detailed list of the updated monsters with lowered defense.

Fast travel rugs is a plus!

The elite version of that is placing a Dominion Marker 4 in the desert, which is a lot more work than getting dreadnips. It's fine where it's at.

Posted Image

#8 Kaur

Kaur

• Clan:RSD
  • Team:Team NH

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postd4rkm4st3rz8, on 21 January 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

An alternative to a fury since it's only .3% less critical and 1 prayer bonus better. Plus it's free and has a cool teleport emote.

Glory has exactly the same stats...
Posted Image
Coming soon from Jagex Software! Runescape, our massive multiplayer adventure. Trade and communicate with other players. Learn skills to earn money, or if you're brave attempt to find riches in the dungeons. Your charactor will continue to evolve and improve the more you play, with quests to complete for extra rewards. Choose good or evil the choice is entirely yours!

#9 Weezyf_hitme

Weezyf_hitme

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Any tips on Desert Strykewyrm, i have the helm and staff wielded...

#10 Stanley

Stanley

Completionist

• RS Name:Stanley

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostKaur, on 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

View Postd4rkm4st3rz8, on 21 January 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Glory has exactly the same stats...

Oh, good point :-)

View PostWeezyf_hitme, on 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Heard that the helm should be enchanted and have scrolls in it. Not sure if that's a factor. And the kill should be finished off with the staff.

Edited by d4rkm4st3rz8, 21 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Kaur

Kaur

• Clan:RSD
  • Team:Team NH

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostWeezyf_hitme, on 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Just get it to low hp with a stab weapon/melee gear and finish it off with the staff.
Posted Image
Coming soon from Jagex Software! Runescape, our massive multiplayer adventure. Trade and communicate with other players. Learn skills to earn money, or if you're brave attempt to find riches in the dungeons. Your charactor will continue to evolve and improve the more you play, with quests to complete for extra rewards. Choose good or evil the choice is entirely yours!

#12 Danexlol

Danexlol

I am these hoes number one choice

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Looks like a nice update. Will have a look into it when I get myself P2P for sure, been a while since I've done these kind of tasks. :-D
feels like déjà vu, right?

Posted Image

#13 stevembk

stevembk

• RS Name:stevembk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I like the crit bonuses from the ammy! What are they for version 3?

I have never tried Dominion Tower before, how much of a grind would it be for that achievement?

Edited by stevembk, 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Posted Image

99's: Thieving, Attack, Woodcut, Crafting, Farming, HP, Range, Slayer, Strength, Herblore, Hunter, Firemaking, Summoning, Runecrafting, Magic
CURRENT GOALS: 94/95 Prayer

#14 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Poststevembk, on 21 January 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

I have never tried Dominion Tower before, how much of a grind would it be for that achievement?
Not much to be honest. 450 Bosses will go by pretty quickly especially if you want those Dominion gloves.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Fregs

Fregs

• Clan:NBK
  • Team:The Titans

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I like it

#16 Gohankuten

Gohankuten

Master of all Wills & Quests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well now I need to look up a guide for killing sunfreet in EoC now lol.  Least I had all the achievements for dom tower already unlocked from when I got my gloves lol.

Thanks to Arno for the +1
Thanks to Teelex for the +2
954th Person To 99 Hunter
Master of all Wills and Quests
Posted Image

#17 Fasty

Fasty

~tbh imo~

• RS Name:Fast993
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Looks like I have some temporary motivation for logging in and playing RuneScape! Not really interested in the amulets or experience lamps or anything, just looking forward to being able to wear my Comp Cape again. :hat:

Posted Image

#18 Boot

Boot

The one and only

• RS Name:Il Boot Il

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostMilktea4me, on 21 January 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Not much to be honest. 450 Bosses will go by pretty quickly especially if you want those Dominion gloves.

It used too lol. When I did it (and assuming a lot of other people), I would d claw spec everything boss and killing it. Now that bosses have weaknesses and more health, it's a lot more of a grind. Plus some of the challenges have become more difficult.

Posted Image

#19 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostBoot, on 21 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

View PostMilktea4me, on 21 January 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

It used too lol. When I did it (and assuming a lot of other people), I would d claw spec everything boss and killing it. Now that bosses have weaknesses and more health, it's a lot more of a grind. Plus some of the challenges have become more difficult.

I did about 120 bosses within a few hours on endurance just a bit ago, I would say 450 is probably about 10 - 12 hours give or take.  Real problem will be the class A bosses you need to kill for gloves, the special battles and collecting all 20 pages (pages could take upwards of 1500+ kills if your unlucky) because all of that stuff and more is needed for Elite.

Edited by ~ Darky ~, 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

#20 katar asakur

katar asakur

• RS Name:katar asakur

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

If you have difficulty fighting Sunfreet you can try the setup I used.

The proof it worked :p http://oi47.tinypic.com/5fqiia.jpg

Helm/Chest/Bottom/Gloves : Void with range helm
Cape : Skillcape
Ring : Archer
Main weapon : Chaotic crossbow
Offhand :Offhand chaotic crossbow or rune (What I used).
Amulet : Fury  
Boots: Snakeskin boots
Bolts : Broad bolts
Inventory : 1 overload pot (4) or a flask (or ext/rage potion) rest high healing food (Rocktails in my case)

Fire attacks:
When the fight starts Sunfreet will fly up, Stay where you character walks at the beginning of the fight (remember the position on the map). When the fires are going out move fast to the edge of the largest ring. The third attack you need to move  between the largest ring and the closest one, And finally move to the center for the last attack.  Everytime Sunfreet flies up you should move to the same positions as the first time the fire attack will stay the same.

On ground fight : When Sunfreet is on ground use your basic abilities like piercing shot and snipe and use rapid fire when you can. When Sunfreet roars you're gonna get stunned so you can use the evade ability to break free. After some rounds Sunfreet will start to attack faster but the tactics stays the same.

I'm not the best pvmer so I can't guaranty that its the best method/equipment but I hope I helped anyway !
(Sorry for the mistakes i'm french :p)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: