Drygore Vs. Chaotic Maul And Virtus Wand Vs. Chaotic Staff

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I've been outta the loop lately and was wondering if either the Drygore or Virtus Wand would be worth picking up to play around at Kalphite King, QBD or GWD.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

The only selling point that Drygore weapons have are their accuracy. Their accuracy is so much higher than a Chaotic maul's. Were it not for their accuracy, they'd be useless, as dual-wielding has no point because of the lack of abilities that you can use. It boils down to this:

High defence -> Drygore
Low to Mid defence -> Chaotic maul

Depending on the weakness, drygore weapons can be just as effective as a maul if the monster has no weaknesses. So keep that in mind.

In regard to the wand vs. staff debate:
- Wand is less accurate than a staff (unless you supply the proper wand off-hand, in your case, that would be the Virtus book, so if that's the scenario then they'd be just as accurate)
- Virtus wand+book costs about ~160m GE price (street price might be MUCH higher due to the armour/weapon upgrades), whereas the Chaotic staff just costs about ~2m to repair and lasts 10 hours in combat.
- Staves deal much higher damage with spells. Wand+orb combo cuts damage by ~25% (last time I checked). If you're looking for speed, go for Wand+Book. If you want pure, unadulterated power, go for the staff.

Sources:
- EraserGaming's video on Drygore vs. Chaotic maul

- Smokey9112's test lab video on Drygore weapons' effectiveness.

Edited by The Puppetmaster, 20 January 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#3 B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus

• RS Name:Buddy Rich
  • RS Status:Member
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

As far as Drygore is concerned, I think A Friend on Youtube did a good job of explaining it:

As far as Virtus Wand goes, If you're doing Kalphite King or Nex, i'd say it's worth it. I don't know about post-buff, but from my experience if you're not tanking at Nex you're better off using Ranged or a Maul to do damage to her than magic with a shield, but i've heard they've made her do more damage so a Virtus wand + shield might be a better option. You'd probably not use your wand for QBD, considering a staff will probably be better DPS and with your experience at QBD surviving is a non-issue. The only other GWD boss I can think you'd need a wand for is the Saradomin boss, she's the only one who hits hard enough to require a shield to solo. A Virtus wand would be a huge help there as well. The wand's probably a safe investment too, considering they most likely won't make a better one for quite some time, and so many people will use it for the Kalphite King and Nex that it'll most likely be in high demand for a while.
Posted Image

#4 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostThe Puppetmaster, on 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

- Smokey9112's test lab video on Drygore weapons' effectiveness.

This video helped a little bit, but I'll do some independent research on this later on.

View PostB.A. Baracus, on 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

As far as Virtus Wand goes, If you're doing Kalphite King or Nex, i'd say it's worth it. I don't know about post-buff, but from my experience if you're not tanking at Nex you're better off using Ranged or a Maul to do damage to her than magic with a shield, but i've heard they've made her do more damage so a Virtus wand + shield might be a better option. You'd probably not use your wand for QBD, considering a staff will probably be better DPS and with your experience at QBD surviving is a non-issue. The only other GWD boss I can think you'd need a wand for is the Saradomin boss, she's the only one who hits hard enough to require a shield to solo. A Virtus wand would be a huge help there as well. The wand's probably a safe investment too, considering they most likely won't make a better one for quite some time, and so many people will use it for the Kalphite King and Nex that it'll most likely be in high demand for a while.
So i suppose it's more or less the same when it comes down to QBD and other monsters that have squishy defense. Thanks!

Posted Image

#5 Andy The Ace

Andy The Ace

• RS Name:Andycake
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

The only other GWD boss I can think you'd need a wand for is the Saradomin boss, she's the only one who hits hard enough to require a shield to solo.

Using an Armadyl battlestaff (2629 accuracy compared to chaotic's 3043) I was easily able to survive at Sara GWD with gano using soul split and regenerate to heal. Even without overloads. I disagree that a shield is necessary, especially when you consider Milk has access to better gear than I used.
Posted Image
75+ 13th January, 2011 ** 80+ 14th July, 2011 ** 85+ 31st December, 2011 ** 90+ 1st September, 2012 ** 95+ 12th February, 2013
Quest cape - November 2008 ** Taskmaster - 3rd July, 2012 ** Maxed - 31st May, 2013

#6 B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostAndy The Ace, on 21 January 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

The only other GWD boss I can think you'd need a wand for is the Saradomin boss, she's the only one who hits hard enough to require a shield to solo.

Using an Armadyl battlestaff (2629 accuracy compared to chaotic's 3043) I was easily able to survive at Sara GWD with gano using soul split and regenerate to heal. Even without overloads. I disagree that a shield is necessary, especially when you consider Milk has access to better gear than I used.

I can only speak from experience. I'm max in near max gear, I soloed Sara post EoC for many hours, I needed a shield to survive. And they've nerfed Rejuvinate/Regenerate pretty bad, I'm not sure even if you had been able to solo using those before you'd still be able to now. I used Master wand with Arcane Spirit Shield and full Robes of Subjugation, Overloads and Soul Split. Admittedly I haven't been back there for a few weeks, but I assume she hasn't changed much since then. Out of curiosity, were you using Ice Barrage or Water Surge?

Edited by B.A. Baracus, 21 January 2013 - 12:08 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Andy The Ace

Andy The Ace

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostB.A. Baracus, on 21 January 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

View PostAndy The Ace, on 21 January 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

I can only post from experience. I'm max in near max gear, I soloed Sara post EoC for many hours, I needed a shield to survive. And they've nerfed Rejuvinate/Regenerate pretty bad, I'm not sure even if you had been able to solo using those before you'd still be able to now. I used Master wand with Arcane Spirit Shield and full Robes of Subjugation, Overloads and Soul Split. Admittedly I haven't been back there for a few weeks, but I assume she hasn't changed much since then. Out of curiosity, were you using Ice Barrage or Water Surge?

My exact gear was gano visor/poncho/leggings, spellcaster gloves, ragefire boots, fury, tokkul-zo, a skillcape and an Armadyl battlestaff. It's probably the case that the stat rework greatly reduced how much you get hit there seeing as my trip was last weekend and you haven't been for a few weeks. Master wand certainly isn't good enough anymore. Its accuracy is 918 (a little bit over one-third that of the Armadyl battlestaff) and I had great trouble just getting kill count with it. Even on the warriors, kills were taking around one minute. Regenerate was only reduced by 20%; I don't feel as though that's a huge loss. I was using water surge but primarily abilities (based on how many water runes I used).
Posted Image
75+ 13th January, 2011 ** 80+ 14th July, 2011 ** 85+ 31st December, 2011 ** 90+ 1st September, 2012 ** 95+ 12th February, 2013
Quest cape - November 2008 ** Taskmaster - 3rd July, 2012 ** Maxed - 31st May, 2013

#8 B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

View PostAndy The Ace, on 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

My exact gear was gano visor/poncho/leggings, spellcaster gloves, ragefire boots, fury, tokkul-zo, a skillcape and an Armadyl battlestaff. It's probably the case that the stat rework greatly reduced how much you get hit there seeing as my trip was last weekend and you haven't been for a few weeks. Master wand certainly isn't good enough anymore. Its accuracy is 918 (a little bit over one-third that of the Armadyl battlestaff) and I had great trouble just getting kill count with it. Even on the warriors, kills were taking around one minute. Regenerate was only reduced by 20%; I don't feel as though that's a huge loss. I was using water surge but primarily abilities (based on how many water runes I used).

It'd be a shame if they reduced her damage, she was the only GWD boss (besides Nex) that could actually do any... I've since upgraded Wands, I might give it a try and compare Wand vs. Staff there. Did you use food? I was using none with a shield
Posted Image

#9 Andy The Ace

Andy The Ace

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostB.A. Baracus, on 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

It'd be a shame if they reduced her damage, she was the only GWD boss (besides Nex) that could actually do any... I've since upgraded Wands, I might give it a try and compare Wand vs. Staff there. Did you use food? I was using none with a shield

I doubt they reduced her damage, rather that it is a result of the armour buff. Most of the time I was over 90% lp after regenerate, depending on how the kill went. Summer pie drops were handy (monkfish would be too, but I don't recall getting any). I ate two or three rocktails in the ~hour I was soloing. Having overloads probably would have reduced my need for food. The main issue was prayer; I was using around 1,000 points per kill. I should also mention that I had no familiar and was using dreadnips.
Posted Image

#10 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

For KK it would by far be Drygore over Maul. As for the wand or staff? That entirely is up to the team you're on. If you go to most masses they require a Wand/Shield. I only go on "pro" teams so I can use staff.

I'm not really sure about QBD and GWD. I don't really do that anymore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostJim, on 21 January 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

For KK it would by far be Drygore over Maul. As for the wand or staff? That entirely is up to the team you're on. If you go to most masses they require a Wand/Shield. I only go on "pro" teams so I can use staff.

I see. I've been looking into those weapons and it seems that a Chaotic Maul would be used for Low-Mid Defense mobs and Higher Defense mobs would be Drygore Weapons. As for KK, is Chaotic Staff the next best weapon behind Drygore Weapons?

Posted Image

#12 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostMilktea4me, on 21 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostJim, on 21 January 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

I see. I've been looking into those weapons and it seems that a Chaotic Maul would be used for Low-Mid Defense mobs and Higher Defense mobs would be Drygore Weapons. As for KK, is Chaotic Staff the next best weapon behind Drygore Weapons?
I would have to say yes.

Edited by Jim, 21 January 2013 - 01:53 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: