Og Blog: High-Level Monster Rebalance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi all,
We've made more changes to a select few of the high-level monsters in the game, reducing their overall effectiveness in combat.
During the latest batch of EoC changes, we gave the majority of our high level monsters a heavy buff in combat. As I mentioned in my recent Og Blog, many of our monsters were being fought by players of a lower level than they were designed for – so we decided to make them much better at defending themselves.
While the vast majority of the changes we made have worked as intended, some of the monsters were given too much extra power and were destroying everything in their paths! We heard your calls for help and have reduced the effectiveness of the following monsters:
  • Frost dragons
  • Ganodermic beasts + runts
  • Glacors and glacytes
  • Mithril dragons
We are confident this will make these monsters challenging to fight, without being too risky, expensive or time-consuming to take down. Of course, as with the above fixes, we will continue to make tweaks as necessary.
That's where you come in. Your feedback is of utmost important to us, so please let us know how tough you're finding the foes listed above. We are also looking at the next batch of improvements for the EoC and we always welcome feedback on improvements you would like to see. A rework of the relative damage of combat styles is already on the cards, along with more monster rebalancing and a review of quest bosses, but if you have any other suggestions, visit our discussion thread and let us know what you'd like to see.
Fight on, my noble brothers and sisters... fight on!
Mod Mark
Discuss this here.

☼ This never ever should have been, but that's the way it is ☼
Posted Image
Zchat Gold Star |Zybeznet Overseer|MM&D Staff|Global Moderator

#2 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Oh Joy! Another half-baked update by Jagex that'll probably end up messing up MORE stuff. I can't wait ಠ_ಠ
(Perhaps a bit cynical, but really, what can POSSIBLY go wrong this time?)

I wonder how stuff will turn out this time around. Hopefully Mithril dragons at the very least will be easy enough to take down with Earth Surge :-/
Other than that, I have low expectations for this one.

Edited by The Puppetmaster, 18 January 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#3 Evidently

Evidently

Visit Zchat!

• RS Name:Evidently
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

They fixed Glacors faster than I thought they would, of course there is the relatively high chance they are still messed up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 homaosapian

homaosapian

• RS Name:homaosapian
  • RS Status:Free
  • Clan:RSD

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

hope they fixed the tokhaar from brink of extinction.
Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Help & Rules Section. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Thanks, Shauly

#5 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Another one they need to fix not on this list are the other metal dragons.

Posted Image

#6 doubletc

doubletc

• RS Name:Bellicus
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostManga, on 18 January 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

What do you mean by fix? I had steel and iron dragons yesterday as tasks they were fine. :d

#7 Ganlam

Ganlam

What's this?

• RS Name:Ganlam

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I hope they fix the deadly red spiders for f2p, I'm 60 combat levels over and I can't hit most of the time :-/

Edited by Ganlam, 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#8 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postdoubletc, on 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

What do you mean by fix? I had steel and iron dragons yesterday as tasks they were fine. :d
The fact that you can't fight them reasonably with anything under Ahrims wand, and if you wanted to use a staff you absolutely must have 85 herblore (Super antifires are untradable and unassistable). Paying 10m+ or getting 85 herblore just to comfortably kill a iron dragon because right now is just absurd. I use 700 airs and waters per kill with Grifolic wand, on something you can get assigned from even Cheldar. Wands are bad enough as it is without hitting 1/5 casts.

Posted Image

#9 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostManga, on 18 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

The fact that you can't fight them reasonably with anything under Ahrims wand, and if you wanted to use a staff you absolutely must have 85 herblore (Super antifires are untradable and unassistable). Paying 10m+ or getting 85 herblore just to comfortably kill a iron dragon because right now is just absurd. I use 700 airs and waters per kill with Grifolic wand, on something you can get assigned from even Cheldar. Wands are bad enough as it is without hitting 1/5 casts.

Spend the 1-2m on a master wand. It's worth the investment.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#10 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostJay, on 18 January 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Spend the 1-2m on a master wand. It's worth the investment.
Master wand is the exact same with accuracy as Grifolic. They have 918 accuracy and still so much splashing at metals. Unless I'm missing something.

Posted Image

#11 Justin

Justin

I need it before it's too late

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm very happy about the changes, especially Ganos. :-)

Posted Image
Do not PM me about price guide unbannings. Use this thread.

#12 Sir Sparhawk

Sir Sparhawk

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I fully support the idea that the higher level monsters should require good gear and/or levels.
If you can't afford the gear and levels then you should have to do something to make the cash for it and if you refuse to then it's your own problem.
You don't see people complaining if they can't nex in full barrows and a whip, you have to do the lesser bosses first to make the cash for the big ones, the same goes with non boss monsters.

Edited by Sir Sparhawk, 19 January 2013 - 09:45 AM.

View Post[J]osh, on 08 November 2010 - 04:03 AM, said:

You wouldnt call water with a dash of orange pure water cos it only has a little orange in it... would you?

#13 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostSir Sparhawk, on 19 January 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I fully support the idea that the higher level monsters should require good gear and/or levels.
If you can't afford the gear and levels then you should have to do something to make the cash for it and if you refuse to then it's your own problem.
You don't see people complaining if they can't nex in full barrows and a whip, you have to do the lesser bosses first to make the cash for the big ones, the same goes with non boss monsters.
I would agree with you but Iron Dragons are an 8 year old MOB with lackluster drops. They are assigned by slayer masters, Nex is not. If I did not get tasked them constantly I would not care so much.

I was talking about this with Zchat last night here is what we broke this down to.

If you don't have 85 Herblore this is the only way to effectively kill them.
  • Ahrims Wand 36 million GP
  • Virtus Wand 110 million GP
  • Grifolic wand and suck it up (5-10 min kills and 1,400 runes a kill)
  • Get 85 Herblore
Would anyone realistically pay this for finishing a slayer task. I should not have to block a slayer task because the system is broken.I have 85 magic and can wear the best mage robes in the game. I should not feel helpless. One handed wands are beyond useless right now, and even without the buffs it would be difficult.

Anyone who still does not believe me, go down to those dragons and use your best water spell with master/grifolic wand  with a normal antifire sheild and tell me your results. There is a reason right now it's empty.

Posted Image

#14 The Major

The Major

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I would agree with you but Iron Dragons are an 8 year old MOB with lackluster drops. They are assigned by slayer masters, Nex is not. If I did not get tasked them constantly I would not care so much.

I was talking about this with Zchat last night here is what we broke this down to.

If you don't have 85 Herblore this is the only way to effectively kill them.
  • Ahrims Wand 36 million GP
  • Virtus Wand 110 million GP
  • Grifolic wand and suck it up (5-10 min kills and 1,400 runes a kill)
  • Get 85 Herblore
Would anyone realistically pay this for finishing a slayer task. I should not have to block a slayer task because the system is broken.I have 85 magic and can wear the best mage robes in the game. I should not feel helpless. One handed wands are beyond useless right now, and even without the buffs it would be difficult.

Anyone who still does not believe me, go down to those dragons and use your best water spell with master/grifolic wand  with a normal antifire sheild and tell me your results. There is a reason right now it's empty.

I know that feel brah. I was in a similar conundrum, except with Black dragons (and I was using Ranged, not Magic). There really is no way to go around it without either spending an assload of money for a wand (or 85 Herblore; on that note, 85 herblore cost me around 35m by doing Super attack pots/Serum 207s from level 65 to 80 then Super defence pots from 80 to 85 and doing penguins, Jack of Trades, Troll Invasion, etc. whenever I can. SoF boosts also welcomed. Huge XP lamps from Meg were also a blessing along with daily Herblore challenges. A few clan mates of mine were also generous enough to supply me with unfinished potions and secondaries whenever I maxed out my GE limits for half the cost of what they would be, had I bought them from the GE), wasting runes, or blocking tasks.

One way you can go about it is by drinking an antifire potion, pray Magic, and then stand within melee distance of the dragon and cast Water Surge with a Staff of Light, your best Magic gear, and an inventory full of food and prayer pots. It's not adequate, but currently it's the best that you can do without going mad. :-/

Edited by The Puppetmaster, 19 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#15 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

seems like the fix they implemented to update armor/monsters rebroke the Thok saga that people were having issues with before, that or it was never really fixed a few weeks ago.

its still doable but you need tons of luck to get good hits/kill monsters fast, people are still complaining about it being impossible to do.

Edited by ~ Darky ~, 19 January 2013 - 10:50 AM.

Completionist Cape Owner

#16 Xtrm

Xtrm

(ง •̀_•́)ง

• RS Name:Xtrm
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Team:Sad Unit

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

They really need to figure out their armour and monsters problems and just fix them all at once.

Posted Image

#17 Jaddy

Jaddy

Agility freak

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

View Post~ Darky ~, on 19 January 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

seems like the fix they implemented to update armor/monsters rebroke the Thok saga that people were having issues with before, that or it was never really fixed a few weeks ago.

its still doable but you need tons of luck to get good hits/kill monsters fast, people are still complaining about it being impossible to do.
thats the result of their fix a few weeks ago.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#18 Manga

Manga

Wings of Freedom

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostThe Puppetmaster, on 19 January 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

One way you can go about it is by drinking an antifire potion, pray Magic, and then stand within melee distance of the dragon and cast Water Surge with a Staff of Light, your best Magic gear, and an inventory full of food and prayer pots. It's not adequate, but currently it's the best that you can do without going mad. :-/
Does not work on dragonbreath.

Posted Image

#19 The Major

The Major

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostManga, on 19 January 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostThe Puppetmaster, on 19 January 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Does not work on dragonbreath.

>pray magic
>drink antifire potion
>stand within melee distance of dragon with a staff of light and your best gear

It's the same as killing a dragon with just an anti-dragon shield. If you're within melee distance with the best gear you've got, then really, what's the worst that could happen? Just pot up every now and again, then wreck your Slayer tasks. They attack mostly with melee if you're within melee distance, and you'll be wearing high-level Magic gear.

Edited by The Puppetmaster, 19 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#20 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostGanlam, on 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

I hope they fix the deadly red spiders for f2p, I'm 60 combat levels over and I can't hit most of the time :-/
I can hit them most of the time on my Pure using a Rune 2H and 50 Strength.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: