A Reflection Into The Past (That One Change)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Defender17

Defender17

• RS Name:Gozatuyo
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is one that'll appeal to people who both quit and continue playing the game.  There are people who are like me, who didn't understand the direction Jagex was headed with their updates, got confsued, and simply quit. On the other side, here are people who continued playing because of it.  

I came back to the game but I cannot get into it again due to the fact so much has changed.  The graphics changed, the combat has changed, "skilling" has changed, the list goes on (unfortunately the one thing I wanted to see, a major expansion of the world that extends the main continent, was not present).

Personally, the graphics update killed it for me.  I remember how I was so happy about the graphics were improved and I played it again, but the way how they introduced resolution and different levels of quality changed it for me.  I realize I had the option to revert it to the old graphics, but the "face" of RuneScape from that point on would have changed; more and more screenshots would be taken with the updated graphics, and the players will refer to objects in the game with their updated features.  It felt like RuneScape and yet at the same time, like a brand new game.  Technically, I could use this as a bridge to mention how this was the beginning of change for Jagex prioritizing form over function, but I want to discuess the ONE change that change the game, and for me, this is it.

What was that one change, that changed it all, for the better or worse?

#2 I Love You

I Love You

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I feel like the community itself changed. I remember when people would help you out without a reward, or how people would actually take their time to talk with you and actually respect you. Now all you see is people flaming or making fun or each other

Posted ImagePosted Image

I wish it is always You,

Only You and I

#3 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostI Love You, on 06 January 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Now all you see is people flaming or making fun or each other
That's been the case since Runescape as been released. It's not the game's fault, it's the player's.

For me, I don't really mind all the change. Games evolve and not is a pretty way that'll satisfy everyone. Has graphics changed for the better? No. Should a game be judged for just it's graphics? No. Might be a double standard, but I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 No2h

No2h

Officially quit RuneScape.

• RS Name:No2h
  • Clan:E Nergnhnef

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

The EoC. It split the community, proved that Jagex doesn't care about it's players, and decimated the player base.

Posted Image

#5 Pharmacists

Pharmacists

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I didn't like the constant graphical changes to armor and weapons that Jagex kept doing. Guess I'm just missing my favorite years of the game, when Dragon Chain's were the best armor and whips were the best armor. After they changed the Rune Armor, I believe a year or so ago, that's when I began disliking the game more and more, however the content, and my drive to finish up skills was what kept bringing me back.

Posted Image

#6 Ninjasteak

Ninjasteak

Divergents

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostDefender17, on 06 January 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

I came back to the game but I cannot get into it again due to the fact so much has changed.  The graphics changed, the combat has changed, "skilling" has changed, the list goes on (unfortunately the one thing I wanted to see, a major expansion of the world that extends the main continent, was not present).

It's okay to have your own opinion, everyone is different and no one can criticize you for it.

The entire game itself has changed, but you can't simply blame the company for the change. The game's community is a huge part of what makes RS what it is today. Players complain and complain, whether it be on the official forums or in-game, about things that should be changed. Alas, Jagex tries to determine the general opinion of the majority of their playerbase, and makes changes to satisfy this population. But reality says that nothing can make everyone happy. It's all part of keeping the game alive, new changes that help the game evolve (possibly in competition with rivaling games).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

••• Zybeznet Homepage Clan Tracker 2014 •••

#7 Defender17

Defender17

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostNinjastreak2, on 12 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

It's okay to have your own opinion, everyone is different and no one can criticize you for it.

The entire game itself has changed, but you can't simply blame the company for the change. The game's community is a huge part of what makes RS what it is today. Players complain and complain, whether it be on the official forums or in-game, about things that should be changed. Alas, Jagex tries to determine the general opinion of the majority of their playerbase, and makes changes to satisfy this population. But reality says that nothing can make everyone happy. It's all part of keeping the game alive, new changes that help the game evolve (possibly in competition with rivaling games).

Well I was trying to convey the opinons of someone who quit about 5+ years ago.  I wasn't trying to convey a whiny voice, I was simply trying to express what the pivotal update was for me.  Every game has people that complain and continue to play which is an action that just baffles me.  By making this topic I was hoping to grab the people who actually quit because the game advanced too far too fast for them.

If you want me to elaborate the quote, I was trying to point out how RuneScape's core mechanics have changed.  Other games keep the meat of the game consistent throughout each iteration and DLC, but RuneScape chose to change that very core.  I enjoy seeing that they aren't trying to directly compete with WoW and other MMOs, and I was not trying to "blame" Jagex for their actions in any way.  Of all the changes they made, the one that "bothered" me the most, was the graphical update which includes the UI.

Edited by Defender17, 12 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#8 Ninjasteak

Ninjasteak

Divergents

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

hmm...isn't the UI a rather small part of the game? It doesn't exactly change how the entire game is run, only affecting user imput.

Edited by Ninjastreak2, 12 January 2013 - 03:58 PM.

••• Zybeznet Homepage Clan Tracker 2014 •••

#9 Defender17

Defender17

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostNinjastreak2, on 12 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

hmm...isn't the UI a rather small part of the game? It doesn't exactly change how the entire game is run, only affecting user imput.
I said "includes."  Everything else is in the original post.

#10 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'm a bit of an RS veteran, so I have *some* room to talk about this. The biggest change in RS (game-wise and community-wise, and I'm not talking about the launch of RS2) can be seen after the 10 December, 2007 updates, what with the initial removal of PvP-enabled Wilderness, the removal of unbalanced trading/staking, and the introduction of trade/stake limits, Bounty Hunter, and Clan Wars.

Most of my friends who I made in my short ~7 months of being an F2P player back then ragequit on me, because of the whole thing. Player traffic on the site went down from ~230k currently online to ~170k currently online. Since each players' wealth + items were essentially bound to the player, it made money a huge concern to many players back then, rather than just having fun (hell, i spent my time on f2p, chatting with friends and role-playing on w1 with my bro matt. in the six months i've been re-subscribed, i've spent it grinding up skills, doing quests, and trying to get more money). So that made the community less willing to help out a poor noob, since the time spent helping someone could've been spent making money or grinding up a skill that could help you make more money.

Edited by The Puppetmaster, 12 January 2013 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: