• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Spoon's Efficient Player Owned Port Guide

This guide comes with a video! Click to watch.

Hey guys, today I’m bringing you a guide on player owned ports.

This is by no means a beginners guide, this is for people who have gotten into the bowl region, so if you’re not there yet you may want to remember this video for when you get there. (I also assume a decent knowledge of how your port works.)

In this guide I will be showing you how to achieve max efficiency in terms of distance and resources.

Achieving Max Efficiency: Bowl Region

I will put up charts of the different ways you could use your 15 daily voyages so you can find what you want whether it be getting a specific resource or achieving the best distance.

3 Ships:
To achieve maximum distance with 3 ships you want to only do scythe voyages, but that doesn’t really help because it would be better to go for your fourth ship and better crew which requires jade. I would suggest doing a combination of scythe and bowl voyages and only 2 to 4 bowl voyages per day. You will have a bit of extra time which you can spend doing lower regions to get resources for port upgrades.
I would suggest getting a good crew first with your jade, so you can easily get a good percent then add a speed crewmate and a merchant from the scythe region so you don’t waste jade on a bowl region merchant. Since there is a cap on speed you also should not spend your jade on a speed crewmate. And as a general rule, get the best captains you possibly can.

Table legend at bottom

3 ships efficiency table
Posted Image

4 Ships:
Once you have 4 ships and your still in the bowl it’s a bit more straight forward, you then should be doing 8 bowl voyages and 7 scythe voyages per day, unless you have re-rolls or you need a different resource for port upgrades. At this point you can also buy a bowl region merchant but I still don’t see a point in spending jade on speed.

4 ships efficiency table
Posted Image

Efficiency Note: It is possible to get lower region voyages when 'focusing' on a higher tier region, there is nothing you can do about this and it will probably happen a few times per day. You will also not actually get these exact quantities of resources, firstly because they are based on averages and secondly because this does not factor in boosts such as Merchant or Fortune of the Sea.
Distances are also based on averages.

Crew Setup

• One of the best specialty captain’s you can get preferably morale but not speed,
  • One judge of dice per ship,
  • One speed crew member per ship, either a dwarven engineer or fireworks enthusiast,    (Can be switched for specialty crewmates like Golems and Sea Witches.)
  • One merchant per ship, either a jade merchant or a scythe merchant,
  • And fill the rest of the slots with primarily Sea Dogs and Bounty Hunters.

(picture to be added)

The idea behind the crew:
Your merchant and captain will boost your morale stat, then you use your Sea Dogs and Bounty Hunters if it’s a combat or seafaring voyage, use your ship upgrades to finish off what you’re missing, and if you’re already achieving max speed you can switch out your speed crewmate for specialty crewmates so the voyages that require a mixture are easier.

Meg D&D:
Meg is a weekly D&D that was released with Ports, there is no confirmed best method to do it yet and if you could add your questions & responses to this thread it would be helpful in confirming a ‘best’ method.

Other Info:
This guide and efficiency tables give room for 1 special voyage (scroll or trade good) per day.
  • There is no known best method for getting resource voyages yet, but I believe they are more likely if you are in higher tier regions.
  • If you’re just starting you want to get as many scrolls as possible before entering higher tier regions because the voyages are shorter and this will allow you to focus on resources in the higher tier regions.
  • Save your special items (bag of winds, ration pack etc.) for trade goods (plates, spices etc.) and scroll voyages.
  • Saving time (est. 30mins +) is more important than a 5% boost in success rate, because if you go a few minutes over you may not have enough time to get out that last voyage.
  • It is usually inefficient to have lots of leftover time, but it may happen if you don't get any scroll voyages or you get unlucky with your normal voyages.
Efficiency table for Time/Distance per region:
Posted Image
Average Distance and Reward per region:
Posted Image
Possible Time per day:
Posted Image

Table legend:
b= Bowl region, sy = Scythe region, h = Hook region, s = Skull region, a = Arc region
(B) = Bowl Region
© = respective region's currency (see spoiler)
Spoiler

Pincers Region

Max Efficiency for Trade Goods

Port Upgrades:
Bar – Luxurious bar (t4) unless going for a certain captain and you have a fair amount of Jade + Cherrywood to spare.
Workshop – First, build a refitted work shop (t2). After that it’s the last thing to upgrade.
Lodgings – Renovated lodgings (t3) unless you need a certain type of crew. Later build daredevil lodgings (t4) because the bamboo and cherrywood is easiest to get.

Shipwright – Nautical Shipwright until you have enough Jade and Steel to spare for a Sleek Shipwright.
Warehouse – Begin upgrading after shipwright, lodgings & bar, but before Workshop.

Totem Hotspots – Begin if you have leftover Jade / Cherrywood after a refurbished bar (t3) Either Jade statue or Pandora’s Box.
Icon Hotspots – Build based on resources needed, don’t build Saradomnist Symbol / Mammoth Head (Missionary/Biologist – A. Bones) or Human Skull (Assassin unless you want slay XP).
Portal – loljk- It's purely cosmetic.

Best Way to gather Trade Goods:

Begin by completing story voyages to the end, once you complete a full storyline (6 voyages) you will get a large reward of trade goods, based on what that Adventurer gives (see table)- I have colour coded the table, boxes in the same colour require the same adventurers, therefore they are listed twice but they are the same voyage. Those not colour coded only require one adventurer.
Posted Image

Do any story voyages you have not yet completed, including multi-adventurer stories as these will give great rewards.
Once you have all port upgrades and ship upgrades you can begin just re-rolling your daily voyages hoping to get a trade good voyage. You get more trade goods if you’re focussing on the pincers and you have ship effects such as fortune of the sea along with merchant crew members. You can also get a small boost from the Jade Statue built in the totem hotspot.

If you have an adventurer out at the end of a game-day tick, you cannot roll them again for the next day. If one day you get the wrong adventurer, you can wait for their voyage and end it a minute or two after the game-day tick. Alternatively you could just keep the ship in your port after the voyage but not check the results.

Captains & Crew:
Crew:
1 Judge of dice per ship, A Travelling Band, B Ferocious Tiger Rider, C Harem of Fortune Tellers, 3 Oxhead & Horse Face, 3 Jade Merchants, 1 Firework Maniac.

Where A = 4(Lacquer Voyages =1.5) or (Chi voyages =2)
Where B = 4(Lacquer Voyages =2) or (Chi voyages =1.5)
Where C = 4(Plate Voyages = 3.5)

So, that may seem somewhat confusing but to break it down; you get 4 judge of dice, 3 Oxhead & Horse Face, 3 Jade Merchants, and 1 Firework Maniac no matter what good you’re looking for.
After that, if you want for instance, Lacquer, you would hire [A= 4(1.5)]=6 Travelling Bands, and [B=4(2)]=8 Ferocious Tiger Riders.
After you’re done that, switch one of the crewmates you have more of for the one you have the last of. (For example, the formula says to get 14 Harem of Fortune Tellers, I instead get 12 Harem of Fortune Tellers, 1 Travelling Band, and 1 Ferocious Tiger Rider.)

Captains:
The best captains you can get (10k chimes), 2 speed, 3 specialties based on which trade good you’re searching for. (If trade good voyages require combination switch to 1 speed and 2/2 split.)
Traits are very important, if you have a negative trait captain get rid of them as soon as you have the option of hiring one with the same base stats to replace it (traits chart).
You can customize the speed captains with traits, so they are basically a specialty captain with higher speed. Remember, if you get a captain with a really bad trait such as cursed, try to get rid of them when another captain with the same base stats is available.

Not all traits work correctly, to check which one's work see here.
Ship Upgrades:
Begin by upgrading to a Golden Katana Hull, because the last combat hull upgrade was 2 tiers ago.
Secondly, upgrade your deck items.
Third, upgrade your rudder, speed plays a big role in the pincers especially with special voyages.
Lastly upgrade to the other hulls and then your figureheads.

Voyages:
Now, just because you have all the port upgrades and crew you want doesn’t mean you should stop doing voyages for stainless steel. Do voyages for resources with any crew and ships you have left-over to gain crew XP, and resources in case you decide to switch what trade good you’re looking for.
You may also want to consider trait-hunting, which is the act of getting a good base stat captain and loading them with the best traits possible. Note that you can only find some traits in certain regions and if you're customizing a captain, you only want the best traits which are all available in the Bowl region. You can check if the trait comes from the Bowl region by the time the voyages will take before setting sail.

Pincers Region Video

Credits:
I used information from the official and unofficial RS wiki to find averages and things like that.
Hemolostacks - Meg thread
Most original research done using my port. (spoonheb)
Charts created by me. (spoonheb)
This guide includes a link to RS Wikia, for a table of captain & crew traits that are NOT working properly.
Want your name here? Please give helpful info that is not considered common knowledge and is relative to this particular guide.

Edited by spoonheb, 28 July 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#2 Sambo

Sambo

#Sambo

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

nice guide!
#Sambo

#3 Nommy

Nommy

The unseen donger

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Amazing guide.
What's your opinion on upgrading buildings? is it a necessity?
(on another note, try to sound more excited in your video :thumbsup:)
500k+/hr profit without requirements
Add me on League: "PlentyOfNoms" (NA)/"So Moist" (OCE)

#4 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostNommy, on 19 January 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

Amazing guide.
What's your opinion on upgrading buildings? is it a necessity?
(on another note, try to sound more excited in your video :thumbsup:)

That was my excited voice.. :suspect:
You should upgrade buildings after obtaining your 4th ship, (if it requires cherrywood). If it does not require cherrywood upgrade once you have the supplies, but after buying the best crew you can. The best way to get the supplies is after you've done your 8 daily bowl voyages with 4 ships.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 U A E

U A E

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Does this take into account that distance is halved for the older regions when entering a new region ?

#6 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostU A E, on 26 January 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

Does this take into account that distance is halved for the older regions when entering a new region ?

Yes, because for instance if you were in the bowl region and only did bowl voyages you would have voyage rolls leftover by the time the day ticks over. The best way is to use all your voyages, but focus as many as you can on the furthest region you've unlocked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Evidently

Evidently

Join Zchat, Zybez's Fchat

• RS Name:Evidently
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thanks i've been using this recently :) currently 41% till pincers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Updating this w/ Pincers guide soon, just need pic's and recordings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Tom08894

Tom08894

Remember: A full yak is a happy yak.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

How many hours of playtime does this guide calculate with? And if you can't do that, is this still efficient or is it better to focus more on 'quality' then?

Posted Image Warlord in Dutch Generation

Retired Posted Image Rorlord in Euphoria

Senior Member in Team Morphic

Ex-Warlord in Clan Europe

Awards

Spoiler

#10 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostTom08894, on 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

How many hours of playtime does this guide calculate with? And if you can't do that, is this still efficient or is it better to focus more on 'quality' then?
I'm not sure what you mean by how many hours of playtime, the averages are based on voyages, and standard deviation of which voyages you get.
Also the region unlocks or whatever you'd like to call them are based on distance.

Unless you're refering to the trade goods section.. in which case I would understand the question even less.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Tom08894

Tom08894

Remember: A full yak is a happy yak.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Bowl region voyages take ~7 hours to complete, which is usually shorter than the time I spend sleeping. I usually don't have time to check my ships before I go to uni, so maybe I have around 7h 'play time' a day. Is it still worth going for speed crew on every ship, or are they better replaced by speciality crew members to make sure your voyages get resources?

Posted Image Warlord in Dutch Generation

Retired Posted Image Rorlord in Euphoria

Senior Member in Team Morphic

Ex-Warlord in Clan Europe

Awards

Spoiler

#12 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostTom08894, on 08 February 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Bowl region voyages take ~7 hours to complete, which is usually shorter than the time I spend sleeping. I usually don't have time to check my ships before I go to uni, so maybe I have around 7h 'play time' a day. Is it still worth going for speed crew on every ship, or are they better replaced by speciality crew members to make sure your voyages get resources?

If you're looking to get the best distance you can, but you have a limited amount of playtime use the chart with Distance/Hr in the Bowl region section. So for instance, you only have 7 hours during which you can switch your voyages do as many scythe voyages as possible, since they give you almost the best distance / Hr and when you begin running out of time move down to skull voyages, then if you still have some leftover do Arc voyages.

At lower regions like those you shouldn't really need to get specialty speed crewmates so just get as high a % as possible, and if you're already 90%+ try throwing on some merchants.

I found for myself that sometimes you want to skip a day or a few hours to get on a good schedule where you can get as many voyages out per day.
Also try and get atleast one rotation of your highest tier voyages done per day because voyages in regions you've already finished only give 50% distance. (It's still best to use all your voyages per day though.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Haxxtastic

Haxxtastic

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postspoonheb, on 05 January 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Crew Setup
  • One of the best specialty captain’s you can get preferably morale but not speed,
  • One judge of dice per ship,
  • One speed crew member per ship, either a dwarven engineer or fireworks enthusiast,    (Can be switched for specialty crewmates like Golems and Sea Witches.)
  • One merchant per ship, either a jade merchant or a scythe merchant,
  • And fill the rest of the slots with primarily Sea Dogs and Bounty Hunters.

(picture to be added)

The idea behind the crew:
Your merchant and captain will boost your morale stat, then you use your Sea Dogs and Bounty Hunters if it’s a combat or seafaring voyage, use your ship upgrades to finish off what you’re missing, and if you’re already achieving max speed you can switch out your speed crewmate for specialty crewmates so the voyages that require a mixture are easier.

How would this setup deal with the 14-15k Morale voyages?

#14 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostHaxxtastic, on 08 May 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

How would this setup deal with the 14-15k Morale voyages?

You don't have to use all of the mentioned crew members every voyage, so you still want to hire some morale specialty crew members.
Even though the rest are primarily bounty hunters and sea dogs you should still have at least 3 morale specialty crew members, then you add in a judge of dice and maybe a merchant or sea witch if you don't have another morale specialty crew member.
If you're in the last region see further down in the guide for a more universal crew set-up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: