Why Do You Still Play Runescape?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Some of you may have realized my absence from these forums or in-game over the last 3 months and the reason behind this was because I have quit Runescape.

The following reasons led to my departure

1) Bots - I have for a long time been a leader in anti-bot discussions and have always had faith that Jagex truly wants them out of the game but after years of disgusting excuses, I have accepted that bots run Runescape.

2) Lack of new players - It seems every player and their secondary account is now a maxed, comp cape, xp-hoarder and this has resulted in nothing being an achievement.

3) Community - this relates back to reason number 2. It seems nobody cares for anything anymore unless it dishes out 100s of thousands of XP. An update may be a boring and repetitive but as long as it gives out good xp people will care (runespan) and it is in direct contrast to non-xp oriented minigames which receive no attention due to not giving any xp. The community has become a bunch of 20 year old post teens that will do nothing unless there is a major reward.

4) Jagex and $$$ - They are a business and need to focus on making money but their methods as of late have become conniving, and involve trickery. I have noticed little things they have done such as "Buy spins" has been changed to "Add Spins" which tricks a player into pressing the button. Its a small change but truly shows the direction the company is going. Nearly every week there is some sort of double spin garbage or some sort of "deal" that the community gobbles up silently because they do not want to be judged by others and it has ruined the game.

5) Quality of updates - It is amazing how little some Jmods know about Runescape and how many do not understand the dead areas around the game. With this in mind they continue to pump in dead content and barely take in player feedback.

6) EOC - I went in with a positive attitude and gave it a shot but unfortunately it is extremely boring and could not get attached to it.

7) Cheaters - What I see left with the exception of Zchatters and some Zybez players is  a bunch of botters, gamblers, scammers, and hackers that have no interest in the game besides RWT.

8) Economy - all boss drops are garbage, everything is at high-alch value and once noble items are now common trash that not even the most broke noob would want. This demoralizes the respect some of these items have obtained and no item is now an achievement.  

8) Zybez inactivity - For a long time, Zybez has kept me playing Runescape. The people here, the comments and intriguing arguments make the game play more social and fun and sadly a majority of topics receive little to no attention or detailed feedback anymore. Whatever active members we have left have now been promoted and the Zybez events are usually composed of 1-2 people that have grudgingly showed up.

I am now an outsider looking in on the community and I guess my question is... how and why do you still play this game? What motivation is left for you to play?

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#2 True 2k8

True 2k8

They were a hurricane.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Because I still enjoy the gameplay

Divine Forces Leader

Posted Image

Former Community Leader of Clan Discussion | Community Leader of the UNC

#3 Unrated

Unrated

✗♥O Til' we Overdose.

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Because of the community from my team, although I want to get back and at em and play runescape legit, I'm having a hard time coping though.
[Zybez Exclusive]
[Member Since 12 Oct 2009]
[031514]

#4 Pills

Pills

Born under a bad sign

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Clans and the community. Still something good to get out of it there. Warring is still quite fun after the EoC update.

|| Ending Solace Posted ImageChampion || Ending No Intentions Posted ImageLeader ||

Posted Image

#5 XshinobizX

XshinobizX

ولاء ~ إخلاص

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Because of Divine Forces.

Posted Image
Posted ImageShinobi ~ DF for 7 years & counting. Posted Image
DF Forums ~ DF's IRC Chat

Posted Image

#6 Evidently

Evidently

Join Zchat, Zybez's Fchat

• RS Name:Evidently
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Because of Zchat, Zybez and friends.
I still enjoy playing the game but it doesn't have the same spark it used to, I find I only really play when some of my friends are on. I like the game because it doesn't take much thought and I can play it while tired or when i just want to relax. I have come to ignore all the bad stuff that Jagex has done to the game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Yuuki es rey

Yuuki es rey

Yuuki ♥

• RS Name:Majo
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Nexers
  • Team:K kings

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

friends are the only reason i still play.
Posted Image

#8 Esoteric

Esoteric

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I just started playing again on the 24th after quitting for several years and to be completely honest, I'm enjoying the gameplay.

Perhaps it's because I was gone for like every new update after bounty hunter which means there's so much for me to explore and discover still or it may be something else, I'm not sure.

All I know is that I'm actually enjoying the game like I did when I first started playing Runescape. It's definitely different, but it's keeping me entertained.

#9 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

PK/Waring Community

#10 Manacoid

Manacoid

Hottest Under The Sun

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Because of the warring community.

#11 Lick

Lick

League of DRAVEN

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostXshinobizX, on 02 January 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Never quite understood this, are you playing runescape for your clan or are you in your clan to help you enjoy runescape?
Diamond LoL player on EUWest,

#12 XshinobizX

XshinobizX

ولاء ~ إخلاص

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostLick, on 02 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Never quite understood this, are you playing runescape for your clan or are you in your clan to help you enjoy runescape?

I play www.RuneScape.com only when Divine Forces requires my presence on www.Runescape.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Lick

Lick

League of DRAVEN

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostXshinobizX, on 02 January 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I play www.RuneScape.com only when Divine Forces requires my presence on www.Runescape.com

So essentially you are forcing yourself to play runescape to serve your clan? If your clan closed you would no longer play runescape?
Diamond LoL player on EUWest,

#14 Sutty

Sutty

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Because I can't play League of Legends with this terrible net.. :(

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

#15 XshinobizX

XshinobizX

ولاء ~ إخلاص

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostLick, on 02 January 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

So essentially you are forcing yourself to play runescape to serve your clan? If your clan closed you would no longer play runescape?

Correct.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Bomb Squad Unit

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I have spare time on my hands at the moment during the day, so this fills the void since I only really do the Player owned Port's update (one of the best updates in years).

Since I used to spend 10 hours a day, leading a team of 20 close friends and having a blast doing what I loved, PKing and now with that taken away, there isn't a spark in the game for me and I'm just playing it to have an ownage Port, lol.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | www.dontpanicrs.com | #DontPanic |

#17 Ankit

Ankit

You're looking at greatness.

• RS Name:Ankit
  • Clan:Solace

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Solace, this game has bored me since 2009.  Everything I've done there after has been for my clan(making money, dging, training etc.).

View PostXshinobizX, on 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

View PostLick, on 02 January 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Correct.
Wholeheartedly agree with Shinobi.  Otherwise, I'd play even more League then I already do lol.

Edited by Ankit, 03 January 2013 - 12:46 AM.

Proud Solace Legendary Member
June 12, 2010 - February 14, 2013

#18 mremopenguin

mremopenguin

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

I had quit for about 8 years, and only came back to playing in October. I still play because I feel like I have a lot to learn that I missed while I was away from playing. Also, it's still fun to me, even being older than I was when I started playing.
There are certain aspects of the game I may not necessarily enjoy, but I stick to what's fun for me- that's what keeps me playing.
Posted Image

#19 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

EoC really changed a lot of things so I'm helping out people get their bearings on the whole change. Other than that, maybe Comp. Cape?

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 Liles

Liles

PvM Extraordinaire

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Funny question. My answer: I have absolutely no idea. Probably because I want to be really rich and get maxed. Also because I love my clan. But the things you mentioned are exactly what deter me from staying on the game for more than a couple hours at a time.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: