Behind The Scenes: January 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

We love starting each new year with something large, and this year is no exception. Cue the Kalphite King and our first ever level 90 equipment!

Posted Image

Kalphite King

Since the dawn of time, the Kalphite Lair has been born and reborn, as each new queen ascends to rule over her beetly minions. In the sandy depths, way below the inhospitable Kharidian Desert, a new foe has emerged and it’s eager to spill your blood and feed its ravenous nest. This new kalphite has taken a different, far larger and brutal form, however, and even the queen herself isn’t capable of ruling over him. It can only be...the Kalphite King.

In this brand new, instanced boss fight, you’ll need to work cooperatively with a group of high level friends to avoid a quick and ungraceful death, including learning how to dodge the most damaging NPC attack ever! He'll have a large range of potential attacks, keeping even the most effective teams on their toes. The fight itself will be instanced, so there won’t be any issues of overcrowding or run-ins, as you'll be able to set rules to control who can join you for the fight.

If you are skilled enough to prevail, the potential loot from this chitinous menace will be huge. To start with, he'll drop a range of new, level 90 weaponry focused around dual-wielding melee users, with both main and off-hand maces, longswords and rapiers. All-new kalphite enemies will also drop the resources needed to repair this magnificent new equipment.

In this brand new Kalphite Hive, you’ll be able to fight through graphically reworked kalphites; perfect for kalphite Slayer assignments. We’re even overhauling their drop tables to make fighting them more profitable.

Hati Wolf and Friends

It’s winter again, and - as sure as the seasons themselves - the legendary wolves, Hati and Sköll, stalk the Fremennik forests and fjords once more.

Each wolf requires a group of experienced players to defeat, with Hati focused around combat skills, and Sköll having a rather interesting Firemaking alternative to traditional hack-and-slash techniques.

The brave adventurers who assist in their demise will receive a selection of wolf cosmetic gear (a brand new one, as well as all of the existing pieces) and an angry-wolf-sized chunk of bonus XP in Combat, Woodcutting and Agility.

Desert Area Tasks

The king isn’t the only desert content we're adding this month: we’re introducing the newest of our task sets, which covers all of the Kharidian Desert.

The task set incorporates 4 different levels of player skill, covering the traditional 'easy', 'medium', 'hard' and 'elite' categories, with elite requiring such levels as 91 Thieving 89 Crafting, to name a few. For those of you that haven’t tried a task set before... what have you been doing? Think of it like an awesome list of things to do, where you'll need to visit all four corners of the desert, collecting items, visiting hidden pockets of the game world and earning cool rewards while you do it.

Rewards are, as always, numerous, and along with a hefty chuck of XP, crafters, herblorists and miners will be particularly pleased with what we have planned. As always, the rewards will include a piece of upgradeable gear - an amulet, in this case. We're also including some new daily rewards, rerolls for the Dominion Tower and improvements to two of the older, more neglected desert weapons.

Demon Flash Mobs

The demons have entered an arms race! Unknown to many, demons don’t just follow the word of Zamorak – far from it. Demons are looking to strengthen the presence (and power) of their chosen god, and - in late January - you’ll be able to intervene...if you dare. These demons are summoning and empowering their most powerful generals to ravage the land; draining blood and harvesting souls for a mysterious cause. This has not gone unnoticed, and a Saradominist priest will need your help!

Similar to the goblin flash mobs from 2012 (only much, much tougher) you’ll be able to fight groups of NPCs that appear in pre-determined locations (like the Wilderness and other dangerous zones) throughout the world. For those brave enough, new rewards await! This time you’ll be able to kit yourself out with the latest in warrior-chic: the demon slayer armour. In addition to its generous stats - equivalent to dragon armour - they'll also grant you increased XP when fighting demons, and an increased dodge chance when fighting the demon general that spawns at the end of the flash mob.

Posted Image

Squeal of Fortune & Solomon's General Store

There's plenty of cool content on the way from Yelps and Solomon this January, too. To complement the soon-to-be-released God Statues Distraction & Diversion, we'll be releasing Construction training packs on the Squeal of Fortune, giving you a chance to score some handy materials for improving your POH. There's also two sets of awesome-looking kalphite armour overrides, so you can get in touch with your inner invertebrate.

There's loads more to come as well as these: weekend boosts to Summoning XP from lamps and bags of cash from Yelps, and abduction teleports and some wickedly demonic armour from Solomon. If you fancy treating yourself to a few spins on the Squeal of Fortune or something sweet-looking from Solomon's Store, January's the time!

Have fun!

Mod Mark

Discuss this here.

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan; not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#2 Xtrm

Xtrm

(ง •̀_•́)ง

• RS Name:Xtrm
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Team:Sad Unit

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostJay, on 02 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

If you are skilled enough to prevail, the potential loot from this chitinous menace will be huge. To start with, he'll drop a range of new, level 90 weaponry focused around dual-wielding melee users, with both main and off-hand maces, longswords and rapiers. All-new kalphite enemies will also drop the resources needed to repair this magnificent new equipment.
Yes, please, gimme. Rip my Chaotics though...

I'm a bit disappointed the GM god quest won't be released this month like it was rumored to.

Edited by Xtrm, 02 January 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Fasty

Fasty

Perfection

• RS Name:Fast993
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Seems like an interesting month. Still haven't gotten my Comp Cape because of that Fremennik Saga & they're adding more requirements..
We do allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - Mod Fasty

#4 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostFasty, on 02 January 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Seems like an interesting month. Still haven't gotten my Comp Cape because of that Fremennik Saga & they're adding more requirements..

There's a thread on high level forums where they've been made aware of that bug, even though it's months old.

Posted Image

#5 Fasty

Fasty

Perfection

• RS Name:Fast993

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostJay, on 02 January 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostFasty, on 02 January 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

There's a thread on high level forums where they've been made aware of that bug, even though it's months old.
Hopefully they get around to fixing it soon..getting kind of annoyed since I maxed a while ago & that's the only thing left. :P
We do allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - Mod Fasty

#6 Bow

Bow

Uh oh

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have hope that the Demon Flash Mobs is going to be something good, especially with them mentioning the wilderness being involved.  It probably won't be a huge addition there but anything is better than the current motivation for people to go out without it being arranged.

I don't remember the hati wolf to coming back so early in the year, but I won't object.. I'm always down for free experience bonuses.
Senior Moderator
- Feel free to PM me if you need any anything and I will do my best to help.
Specialties:
-Clan Discussion
-OSRS Price Guide ( Please use the Price Guide Help Topic for inquiries)

#7 katar asakur

katar asakur

• RS Name:katar asakur
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Not a good way to start 2013... Once again everything revolves around combat except tasks ( the only thing I love this month).  With all the crappy low level quests last year I'd appreciate if we could get at least 1 quest per month ...

Edited by katar asakur, 02 January 2013 - 12:04 PM.

Posted Image

#8 TheFireproof

TheFireproof

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Kalphite king looks interesting, I'm interested in seeing how he works.
Posted Image

#9 Sasha Black

Sasha Black

The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Abduction teleports sounds interesting.  Wonder if this will be like current teleother/group spells or something more sinister..... or just another lame teleport animation.

Edited by SashaGrey, 02 January 2013 - 12:18 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hopefully the new Kalphite monster will make people think twice about skipping the Kalphite Assignments for Slayer.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Cypher

Cypher

| (• ◡•)|

• RS Name:Cypherex

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostSashaGrey, on 02 January 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Abduction teleports sounds interesting.  Wonder if this will be like current teleother/group spells or something more sinister..... or just another lame teleport animation.
Considering the fact that it was mentioned with sof and solomon, I'd bet money on it being another teleport animation override.

The KK sounds interesting, I wonder if he's as tough as Jagex thinks since they always over-exaggerate difficulty levels (like fight kiln and qbd). I'm most looking forward to the desert tasks, even though I'm not particularly fond of the desert. Not sure why, but desert themed locations in video games have always been my least favorite, lol. But the rewards that come with these task sets are always awesome, so I can't wait to see what they are! They mentioned updating 2 neglected desert weapons. The first one that comes to mind is the keris. Hopefully they make it a powerful off-hand like they did with excal and make it actually worth using against the kalphites and KK. Not sure what the other desert weapon is though.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

[3DS Friend Code: 4785-5458-1412 | Pokemon X and Animal Crossing: New Leaf]

#12 Kyrade

Kyrade

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Maybe the ancient staff? Relatively worthless ever since ancients became easy to autocast and even more so with the removal of magic attack damage % boost.

It sounds like a good month. KK should be fun but like others I'm expecting it to be a lot weaker than Jagex has hyped, I really don't think they even understand their combat system right now with regard to challenges. May be the first time a true tank is required though since early Bandos which would be alright by me. Instanced group boss fights are long long overdue.

Always a fan of diaries, I never have fun doing them but the free exp at the end is almost always worth it. If Skoll is anything like last year with regard to the free agility exp then I'm hyped for it as well. The demon thing sounds solid for lower levels, just a few years back that could have been a headlining update but now the 60s-70s gear pool is so damn massive I can't imagine the new stuff will find a niche. And finally the SoF/SGS stuff doesn't sound too horrible this month, still absolutely no mention of the loyalty shop bank spaces which is almost insulting at this point even if I have no interest in buying any.

Edited by Kyrade, 02 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#13 BrotherVoid1

BrotherVoid1

Retired Completionist

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

This month looks pretty great in my opinion... Again, I wasn't a fan of EoC, and would have been MUCH happier with these updates if it happened without the massive rework.  Then again, I guess I need to move on.  KK will be solid, an INSTANCED boss fight for high levels.  Now I just hope that the loot system is fair (like each member gets the same loot, or something of the sort).  For some reason, I always really like doing the task system... Probably because it reminds me of old content that I haven't touched in years.  So I'm pretty excited for that one.

Hati=free XP, so no complaints there.  I'm interested in the Demon mobs though... Is the armour permanent?  And is it specific to a single combat style?  If not to either, ranging Black Demons just got buffed a bit, which is nice.

SoF/SS as always is over the shoulder of the updates, but I think we're all so used to seeing it now that it isn't that big of a deal.  A solid month for updates, KK next week should be a blast :-)  Jay, Adam, rest of OTG, let me in your team :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Panicking

Panicking

Ex-Maxed out 35 Defence

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

RIP chaotics

Panicking

#15 Derp

Derp

hurr durr

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

The king isn’t the only desert content we're adding this month: we’re introducing the newest of our task sets, which covers all of the Kharidian Desert.[/size]

The task set incorporates 4 different levels of player skill, covering the traditional 'easy', 'medium', 'hard' and 'elite' categories, with elite requiring such levels as 91 Thieving 89 Crafting, to name a few. For those of you that haven’t tried a task set before... what have you been doing? Think of it like an awesome list of things to do, where you'll need to visit all four corners of the desert, collecting items, visiting hidden pockets of the game world and earning cool rewards while you do it.

Rewards are, as always, numerous, and along with a hefty chuck of XP, crafters, herblorists and miners will be particularly pleased with what we have planned. As always, the rewards will include a piece of upgradeable gear - an amulet, in this case. We're also including some new daily rewards, rerolls for the Dominion Tower and improvements to two of the older, more neglected desert weapons.]

Interesting imo, I always love new task series. <3 Gonna have to do a bit more PP though. :p

Also gotta love daily chals etc

-Sprinted; 99 Slayer; 17th July 2012; 130 Combat; Only other 99 being craft

#16 Xtrm

Xtrm

(ง •̀_•́)ง

• RS Name:Xtrm
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Team:Sad Unit

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostBrotherVoid1, on 02 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Jay, Adam, rest of OTG, let me in your team :wub:
Sorry sir, we only take the most experienced of players. Jk, I'll invite you, as long as you don't die a million times. Basically, do the exact opposite that you do in Killing Floor and Left 4 Dead.

Posted Image

#17 Paradite

Paradite

What ever you say

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I am looking forward to this month. The Kalphite king should be interesting seeing as he is the first boss to come out after the eoc was released. I love that he is instanced. I love the idea of not having to hop a hundred times to find a world only to be crashed within a few minutes. The diaries should be fun, lots of free experience from those. I will definitely take advantage of the woodcutting experience skoll gloves are going to provide seeing as woodcutting is one of two skills I have left until i max.

I wonder how much better these new weapons will be compared to chaotics. People always want new, high level content and jagex is delivering. Can't complain to much.

Edited by Paradite, 02 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Postpanickings, on 02 January 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

RIP chaotics

I wouldn't really say "rip" to them, it'll just be another mid tier weapon until people get higher level and can take on the Kalphite King or for people who can't afford Kalphite King weaponry.

Posted Image

#19 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hopefully the highest tier weapons soon to be in-game aren't just something you can buy, I kind of like having to skill for the best armour (Ports) and do a fight kiln or play mobilising armies to imbue rings for better stats.
Interesting - 'Dominion Tower Rerolls' so you can skip a hard or long boss to earn higher ranking? They're already pretty easy.
Hopefully I can get the requirements for the desert tasks pretty quickly but I do hate thieving. : :-/

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#20 Black

Black

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Interdasting some new wildy content, although toggle multi does kinda kill it before it even comes out..

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: