What Made News In The Last 6 Months

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Since Runescape has undergone some major changes I thought it would be interesting to look at some of the statistics and news from the past 6 months, and compare it to the next 6 months.

Below is a chart showing how many news posts there were on certain subjects and what percentage of the homepage news feed they took up over the past 6 months.

Posted Image

Graph Notes:
Spoiler

As you can see, the most common news post was relating to Evolution of Combat, I think that's reasonable, everyone can agree it was the biggest update in these past 6 months.
From there its somewhat downhill, 5 percent of the news feed was related to Solomon's General Store, and 10 percent, the Squeal of Fortune. If you add those two together since they're kind of in the same boat (micro-transactions) it takes up a hefty
15 percent of the total homepage news feed.
Moving on we had a total of 5 Og-Blog's and 1 Developers blog, these were much more concentrated in the summer and before the most recent Og-Blog there was a gap of over 19 weeks since the last developer's or Og-Blog. I note this because these are some of my favourite non-content things to see on the news feed.

Some other stats worth mentioning, currently there are 3902 members accounts with 2496 total level, it will be interesting to see how much this number increases as time goes on.

So the general topic of discussion here is;
What do you think of the general content of the news feed and update schedule, is 7 quests (mostly smaller quests) in
6 months enough? Is the amount of SoF news reasonable or too much? What do you think the next 6 months will look like, will there be a increase in players (from now) or decrease?
Also, what is your favourite thing to see on the news feed, and were you disappointed or pleased with the past 6 months?
Do you have high hopes for 2013? (I sure do!)

Data taken from Dec. 24, 2012.

Some data may be off but not by very much

News from the past 6 months:
Spoiler

Edited by spoonheb, 28 December 2012 - 12:32 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#2 Semmm

Semmm

Blunt Roastin on a Cloud Just Coastin

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

What do you think of the general content of the news feed Needs more quests and content improvement/update. Theres literally no reason for SoF to ever make the news. Its a wheel of fortune...what more can you really do to it.
Also, what is your favourite thing to see on the news feed, Happy due to EOC
Do you have high hopes for 2013? With the release of a new skill sure, although it does make my current skills look more and more depressing lol

#3 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Smaller quests never interested me in the least, even on some new accounts. I always look forward to the more higher level quests and content. Jagex really needs to step up their game for next year now that they have a decent amount of funding fro those who bought the year package.

The most favorite thing I saw on the news feed had to be the Dungeoneering update with the binds and the EoC. Both played a big role in my completing 99 Dungeoneering.

2013 is gonna be a slippery slope for sure, but I hope Jagex has their head in the game for this year because I see it as a 'make or break' year for the. Way too many people are starting to become more innovative their other games in creation while Runescape Charts are slowly declining. All the best to them, but with recent events, I'm very skeptical.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Manga

Manga

『  』

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Compare that to a 2006 graph, I bet more than 60% would be quests. It's weird how this game changes over the years.

☼ This never ever should have been, but that's the way it is ☼
Posted Image
Zchat Gold Star |Zybeznet Overseer|MM&D Staff|Global Moderator

#5 Catalan

Catalan

Catalans

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

Not sure if the amount of players will increase or decrease, sure would be nice to see the bots decrease though.

Chivalry Legions High Councillor

#CL on Seers IRC

#6 Sandor44

Sandor44

Sandy beach

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

View PostCatalan, on 30 December 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

Not sure if the amount of players will increase or decrease, sure would be nice to see the bots decrease though.
People will keep making them though. I shook my head when I did my waterfiends task and passed by the Green Dragons.
Posted Image

#7 Magick

Magick

outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

Well, there had to be the decline sometime... The amount of effort that goes into creating quests is often unnoticed, so it was always likely that less would be produced as time went on. I do not read news posts often, so I am indifferent to the frequency of SoF etc. updates.

Posted Image

#8 Aloof

Aloof

Crazy- but only just.

• RS Name:Tear Asunder
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I've found the microtransaction updates to be too much clutter and too pointless; they should really be relegated to secondary news. My guess is, though, that Jagex will keep it up to at least give the impression of a highly active game company.

I also think that you relegation of miscellaneous updates into "other" is somewhat misleading, considering a great deal of content is based on non-quest content, such as minigames and the like, which can add just as much stuff as quests (albeit a double-up isn't quite much from 3%).
I went to sleep and woke from my nightmare.

#9 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostHesitation, on 30 December 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I also think that you relegation of miscellaneous updates into "other" is somewhat misleading, considering a great deal of content is based on non-quest content, such as minigames and the like, which can add just as much stuff as quests (albeit a double-up isn't quite much from 3%).

The other section is mainly one-off things such as Diamond Jubilee, that if I included each individual post they would be something like .4% each and would make the graph very difficult to read.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#10 Aloof

Aloof

Crazy- but only just.

• RS Name:Tear Asunder
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

View Postspoonheb, on 30 December 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostHesitation, on 30 December 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

The other section is mainly one-off things such as Diamond Jubilee, that if I included each individual post they would be something like .4% each and would make the graph very difficult to read.

True; perhaps I should have been more specific and suggested that you should have made a subdivision for in-game content (y'know, excluding events and that superfluous stuff).

Edited by Hesitation, 30 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

I went to sleep and woke from my nightmare.

#11 Soulless

Soulless

The guy whose name no one can remember

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostManga, on 28 December 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Compare that to a 2006 graph, I bet more than 60% would be quests. It's weird how this game changes over the years.

I remember when we would get a quality update every week back in 2006, now we only get a quality update once a month! What makes this whole situation funny is that Jagex is making more money than they ever have in the past, yet we get less updates? I'm sure Jagex count SoF and Sol additions as updates though... Sigh... :-/

Edited by Soulless, 30 December 2012 - 08:26 PM.

Class > Swag

#12 M1x11

M1x11

M1 11

• RS Name:M1 11

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

say hello to runescape jagbots and rs gold 1dollar for 1mils in 1-2 years time.

GG.

Posted Image
Current Team(s):   Solar | Soul Ascend | Angelz Vengeance | Team Trinity | Team Annihilation | Chronic

Irc Nickname:
M1_11

#13 No2h

No2h

Officially quit RuneScape.

• RS Name:No2h
  • Clan:E Nergnhnef

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

What do you think of the general content of the news feed and update schedule, is 7 quests (mostly smaller quests) in
6 months enough? Is the amount of SoF news reasonable or too much?

Not enough legitimate updates... just TOO MANY SoF/Solomons 'updates' and reworking game content that DOESN'T NEED REWORKED.

What do you think the next 6 months will look like, will there be a increase in players (from now) or decrease?

Increase in bots, continued decrease in legit players.

Were you disappointed or pleased with the past 6 months?

Highly disapointed.

Do you have high hopes for 2013?

Nope. Very low, actually.

Edited by No2h, 10 January 2013 - 06:06 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: